[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fox Melee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

>Melee's last year at EVO is EVO 2017
>Top 4 players mained Peach, Falco, Jigglypuff and Marth
>The world's best monofox player didn't even scratch 8th

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED BROS

THIS ISN'T FAIR HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE STRONGEST
>>
>>384401375
Fox is still the most overpowered character. Too bad fox players suck
>>
Mango played Fox though
>>
Nice try melee faggot OP, no one will care , shit game
>>
top 2 also play fox
>>
>>384401716
smells like bait
>>
File: 1500232828030.png (45KB, 123x137px) Image search: [Google]
1500232828030.png
45KB, 123x137px
>>384401375
TOADSTOOLD
>>
File: 1461550373777.jpg (21KB, 250x317px) Image search: [Google]
1461550373777.jpg
21KB, 250x317px
>>384401375
>3 of them play fox when they think their mains can't do it
>>
>>384401375
>Melee's last year at EVO is EVO 2017

I wish people would stop parroting this. Only EVO Japan is dropping Melee, and Meleefaggotry was never nearly as much a thing in Japan as it is in North America and Western/Northern Europe. We don't know what the lineup is for the main venue yet.
>>
>>384401375
>monofox
Only Hbox solos a character of the top 5, who gives a shit?
>>
>>384401375
The actual problem with fox is that because he's got such a high technical barrier, he ultimately becomes somewhat impractical for anything more than short bursts (this could be argued as why armada maintains his solo peach whenever possible outside of a few key player matchups; it simply isn't as demanding). Maintaining consistency over a 2 or 3 day tournament is nigh impossible with fox unless you optimize your shit and don't go overboard with the kind of hand destroying technical tricks that someone like hax$ prides himself on, and even then, players like leffen (the best solo fox) can't stay 100% consistent. Also, while he has no poor matchups, he doesn't have many relevant matchups where he has an overwhelming advantage.

Additionally, everyone knows how to fight fox due to his prevalence as is. So, the above issues together make him far less powerful in practice than he would be based on theory alone.
>>
lmao Melee is definitely gonna be at Evo next year. Mr. Jew loves smash money way too much to exclude half of the fucking smash community.
>>
>>384403980
Would Axe be top 6 if he mained a good character?
>>
Fox is the most broken character, but he's also the most consistently analyzed for counterplay opportunities and tactics.

Matchups like Peach and Jiggs are hard to train for because not nearly as many people main them. The "gods" of Melee will often pass over doing friendlies with experienced Fox players over a mediocre mid-upper tier user simply for the sake of practicing the matchup.
>>
File: meleemosaic.jpg (1012KB, 1160x665px) Image search: [Google]
meleemosaic.jpg
1012KB, 1160x665px
>>384404129
>why armada maintains his solo peach whenever possible outside of a few key player matchups; it simply isn't as demanding

he has straight up said this is why he has a Fox secondary
>>
>>384404274
This is basically it. Melee will keep a spot at EVO as long as there's a sizable audience that loves it enough to pay for the ever increasing entry fees at EVO.

The fact that Melee got 1400+ entrants in spite of the saturday slot is fucking crazy compared to almost anything at EVO that isn't street fighter.
>>
>>384404129
>he doesn't have many relevant matchups where he has an overwhelming advantage
he has huge advantage over jiggs and peach
>>
>>384403980
pulling fox or any other pocket top tier out for purely mu reasons against a top 15 player will almost always backfire because fox needs to be constantly practiced to be any good like how >>384404129 put it

>>384404326
he says that he invested more time into falco than pikachu at one point but gets better results with pikachu.

i find it hard as shit to believe though after seeing his secondaries even when they're cold turkey, and the only way i see this being possible is that he has way more fun practicing pikachu. i've never seen anyone as buttery with the cast as axe
>>
File: 1455596068977.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455596068977.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>384404326
He almost beat armada, so I think he can do it with pika
>>
>>384404326
Unlikely. The issue with Axe isn't pika as much as its his mentality. Pika certainly hurts his potential consistency; but, the fact that he's taken games off of virtually everyone and nearly won sets vs everyone proves that the character can at least do it.

Axe's issue is that he occasionally goes on tilt too easily and often is really stubborn with his approach options at such times; which ultimately makes him abusable as fuck when he's vs someone who can fuck him up like Armada.

The fact that he as a person has historically struggled with slower, floaty matchups doesn't help (it's not even just his pika either; he's gone on record saying he's uncomfortable vs stuff like puff since it doesn't let him play how he wants).
>>
>>384404586
>Huge advantage over Jiggs

That's honestly iffy considering Jiggs is so incredibly unexplored due to Hbox intentionally keeping as much as possible to himself. It's certainly fox favored, but the fact that Hbox can consistently reach top 8 at the least at any given tournament (and has done so for the past 8 years) proves it's not an atrocious matchup at the least though.
>>
>>384401375
Armada plays fox for jiggs and leffen

Mango is a fox player over a falco player except against spacies

Hbox is an anomaly

and M2K also uses fox for certain matchups

also leffen didnt make top 8 because he SD'd several times to the moon he prob would have been top 5 otherwise
>>
>>384406819
>certain matchups
Does he play Fox against anyone but Hbox?
>>
>>384406819
M2K only really uses fox for hbox at this point. He's primarily just Sheik/Marth otherwise.
>>
>>384406908
yeah hes brought it out against mango and leffen with little success

I see him playing mainly fox in PM if hes playing that game
>>
>>384407103
He rocks Leffen in the Fox ditto. Heavily in his favor, but Mango does destroy the Fox.
>>
>>384407532
really? leffen is really good at fox dittos I have to look that up
>>
>>384406819
>Mango is a fox player over a falco player except against spacies

he played falco way more in 2017 than fox

>and M2K also uses fox for certain matchups

literally only hbox/prince abu
>>
>>384408120
well his heart is in falco but I think I see him on fox still a bit more but there is no question it gets ample use

M2K has pulled out fox against more than just jiggs aswell as maining fox in PM (if that counts)

if you just read the comments above yours you would know my answer to the second part already
>>
>>384404501
>The fact that Melee got 1400+ entrants in spite of the saturday slot

I highly doubt a Grand Finals slotted for Saturday would ever pose a factor in signing up for a competition where you have to fly out to Las Vegas to compete.
>>
God, why do people still watch this shit. It will never change. There's 4 top players and a handfull floating in the orbit around them. There will be no upsets, there will be no new developments. It's as stale as a piece of toast. At this point, in 30 years these 4 autists will still get their lazy ass lifestyle sponsored by 1500 even bigger autists, who think they can beat them.
>>
>>384409108
Players like Axe, Moon, Kingmomo and M2k are getting better and one day our saviour PPMD will return.

Hbox/Armada will fall.
>>
>>384409108
yet your favorite fighting game will die in a few years :)
>>
>>384408758
what? the whole reason I didn't enter this year was it only being 2 days long

Last evo me and all my friends went but this year we just collectively decided 2 days wasn't wort it
>>
>>384409293
And I'm ok with that, because I like change. It's just the natural course of 95% of all fighting games. Of course a select few games are still being played to this day, but we all know the Smash community has a special kind of autism (and lack of hygiene).
>>
>>384409293
Plot twist: I don't like fighting games.
>>
>>384409575
>I like change

not all change is good kiddo, no one wants to play SFV over 4
>>
>>384409108
People love the game. Plus upsets do happen all the time in the echelon below the top. Anyone can beat anyone in the 50 to 11 rank range.
>>
>>384409654
Well that would render your previous comment irrelevant
>>
>>384409575
>All change is good
spoken like a true libcuck
>>
File: moon-the.jpg (4KB, 160x153px) Image search: [Google]
moon-the.jpg
4KB, 160x153px
>>384401375
It's a shame this evo was so weak after all the great ones for melee.

Though the Moon's run was fantastic, I really hope they finally put him in the top 20.
>>
>>384411005
Honestly if m2k didn't choke against Armada we would have had a super hype evo

People always bitch about m2k using the ledge but his style of play is nearly always fun to watch (m2k Leffen is nearly always good melee).

m2k just needs to main marth and get a tiny bit better and perhaps tournaments will get hype again

Moon's improving too. The time of Marth is soon.
>>
This the HyperX thread?
>>
>>384410954
he didn't even make the statement all change is good what planet are you on
>>
>>384409575
>because I like change
Would anyone actually be stupid enough to pick Sonic 06 over S3&K, simply because 06 was more of a change than S3&K?
>>
>>384411206
why M2k still plays sheik outside of the CF match up is beyond me, his marth has consistently been better for the last few years
>>
>>384401716
this
>>
>>384413154
His sheik is good for high mid-low tier MUs too. Like Pika, Yoshi, and Samus.
>>
>>384401375
Fox is to good for mere humans to play, that makes him balanced.
>>
>>384413154
He probably just likes playing sheik.
If it works often and it's fun to him that's really all the reason he needs.
>>
File: 1500188022437.png (175KB, 628x573px) Image search: [Google]
1500188022437.png
175KB, 628x573px
Friendly reminder that anyone could have won EVO if they were skilled enough. Melee is probably the most balanced fighting game in history.
>>
>>384414349
Ness could maybe if the person playing him was the most godlike man to ever play smash.
It's not that he's bad it's just that you can't make more than three mistakes against most the the cast that matters.

He's better than mewtwo at least
>>
>>384414349
but roy has teh phir3
>>
>>384414349
A tier is pretty spot on but Doc,Yoshi, Samus, and Luigi have a long way to go before they ever consider winning a super major.
>>
>>384414349
>playing casually with a friend
>i dont really like smash, sf player normally
>just playing to humor him and for fun
>pick a character I know and think is cool
>getting rekt
>"dude you should switch to (high tier character), that one sucks!"
>rather just play the guy I like
>reluctantly switch to high tier character
>get rekt even harder
Sure was fun, anon.
>>
>>384414349
That list is too lenient.

Fox Falco Shiek Capt Falc Marth and Puff should be in A everyone else in B
>>
>>384416335
>Peach not in A
>>
>>384416335
Peach too buddy.
She's the gate keeper of being a top tier.
Struggles with everyone above her but rapes anyone below her.
>>
>>384416335
I'm sure you know better than Leffen. How many majors have you won again?
>>
>>384416447
>>384416476
I was really close to saying Peach, she's literally my most played these past 6 months. But I was afraid I was just going to say Peach because I like her a lot. Actually I should have included climbers too I just skipped past them.

>>384416484
Damn kid calm down, like his this is just my opinion I don't think those I listed are on the same tier as Yoshi and Axe seems to be the only one who can win with Pikachu.
>>
>>384416484
Come on nigga, anyone outside the top 8 characters might aswell never care for ever winning a super major.

Would be hype for Axe/Amsa to win a supermajor but you know aswell as I that shit aint happening soon.
>>
>>384417007
They just need to get better. Tier gap isn't very big in melee compared to other fighting games.
>>
>>384408120
He plays falco for foxes but also for earlier rounds to do the heavy lifting
>>
>>384416309
I've been in your friends shoes, and really the only reason I told my friend to try [higher tier character] was so I would have an easier time of teaching him to git gud. It's a lot easier when you're more familiar with the character and you can be a bit more certain that whatever fuck-up happens isn't because of some limitation inherent to whatever low-tier they picked.
>>
>Melee thread
>thread dissolves into discussion of the same ~6 people
Every fucking time.
>>
>>384416309
Low tiers in melee suck ass unless you are willing to put in soo much work that its ridiculous.
>>
>>384418102
Literally only 6 people can win tournaments that matter even then usually only the top 2 players win those tournaments if they attend. Melee's skillgap is too deep.
>>
>>384418102
What should be discussed?
>>
>>384401375
The meta has become anti-Fox now because:

>punish game on Fox is hardest on any character
>edgeguarding Fox can be flowcharted because while he has many option they are all linear and reactable or readable
>high intensive APM's mean Fox players playing at big events can be worn out and fatigued mentally and even physically once bracket gets deep
>extremely hard to be consistent with such a complex character who is so tech intensive
>everyone has extensive experience against Fox

Characters like Sheik, Marth, Peach, and even Jiggs can be played much more safely and consistently and while they're not as good characters on paper, once you add the human element and the meta element they're going to be a better guarantee for performance because they're "easier" to play.

Also Melee's never leaving EVO, it makes Mr. Jewizard far too much money in ad sales. This year he even discovered he can put it on Saturday in order to get a huge Saturday viewership spike to sell Saturday adblocks at higher prices.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.