[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do game demos deserve to be a thing of the past?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: d57r7f.png (12KB, 604x102px) Image search: [Google]
d57r7f.png
12KB, 604x102px
Do game demos deserve to be a thing of the past?
>>
No, he takes skill.
>>
>oh no people are seeing how shit my game is, now they won't blindly pre-order
>how unfair, fuck consumer rights
>>
>>384375439
So instead of showing people what kind of shit game they could buy they keep it hidden and turn it into a gamble.

Back then the games were good so people bought it and back then they did demo mission totally unique from the actual game.
>>
>>384375439
No, in fact every AAA developer should include a 2 hour demo, this will promote actual work and depth into games and kill cinematic walking simulators.
>>
>>384375559
/thread
>>
>>384375559
You had me until "le consumer rights xD"

Yeah, demos are convenient, but they aren't your "right" you deluded fucking child.
>>
it would be a shame for publishers if consumers knew how terrible and broken AAA games were before they bought them
imagine what that would do to game sales.
>>
>make bad demo
>hurts game
>make good demo
generates interest

Demos have largely shifted to limited time "betas" though, because in very few instances where the game is in beta (Halo 5's was a little under a whole year from release) most are just the game as it's going to ship, like we saw with Destiny and now see with Destiny 2.
>>
>>384375487
I get it.
>>
>>384375559
>>384375568
>>384375625
It has less to do with the demo being bad or good, and more with it not meeting expectations

It also takes a lot of money and time to make a demo and we live in a age where you can find tons of gameplay on the internet
>>
>>384375851
>It also takes a lot of money and time to make a demo
It really doesn't. It's literally just taking a chunk of files and copying them to another executable. You know how I know? A lot of demos are used to pirate the full games because a lot of developers literally have most or all of the rest of the game within the demo files.
>>
>>384376073
>you know how I know? A lot of demos are used to pirate the full games because a lot of developers literally have most or all of the rest of the game within the demo files.
Oh i thought you knew by actually working in game development
>>
>used to get free demo discs out the waazoo
>demo discs with multiple game demos on it
>now we hardly get one for anything
Where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>384375439
of course demons harm game sales
>>
>>384375851
>it takes a lot money
No, it does not.
>>
Yes, but mostly as another means to screw ignorant consumers over. It's hard to sell a low effort shitty game if someone can demo it and realize "Hey, this isn't that great actually".
>>
>>384375734
Consumers have a right to an informed purchase. If you don't put out a demo for your game all it tells me is your game is shit.
>>
>>384376710
Or they play the demo and find out that's the whole game.
>>
File: 1499681724514.jpg (83KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1499681724514.jpg
83KB, 512x512px
>>384375487
>>
>>384376693
Thanks for the insight mr. Developer
>>
>>384376758
>give me a bite of your finest steak or I'm going to tell everyone your restaurant is shit on social media

Millennial gamers, everyone
>>
Well I appreciated demos on ps4, where you can't pirate game to try it out before buying like on pc. Videos are there, but trying gameplay firsthand is good shit.
>>
Probably, yes, but only because people might base their purchasing decision on actual gameplay instead of bullshots.

Do these people not understand that there's better long term value in building a trusting relationship with your consumers?
>>
>>384376941
Food analogy
>>
>>384376941
Wow that really is an apt comparison.
>>
>>384376941
>food analogy
>>
>>384376941
False equivalency.
>>
>>384376930
he already explained it
>>384376073
>>
>>384375851

>It also takes a lot of money and time to make a demo

LOL not it fucking doesn't.

The demo for every game i've ever worked on wouldn't have taken more than a day or two to put together.

In fact it's one of the cheapest and most effective methods of promoting a game.....well assuming your game is actually worth playing.
>>
File: 1497626996297m.jpg (43KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1497626996297m.jpg
43KB, 1024x576px
>>384376941
>tfw got into an argument with some faggot comparing the me3 backlash with people who buy pizza
>>
>>384375439
Well they do harm sales for shitty games, so lad from the op pic is right. Not like demos are bad by default.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.