[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna get into the Resident Evil games, is 4 a good starting point?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: leon.jpg (91KB, 300x425px) Image search: [Google]
leon.jpg
91KB, 300x425px
I wanna get into the Resident Evil games, is 4 a good starting point?
>>
>>384331793

If you're used to old-school survival horror outside of RE then no but otherwise yeah. Controls are a bit antiquated compared to more current RE titles but the level design is generally the best that this direction of RE ever saw.
>>
RE4 has no relevant resource management whilst REmake has a little, I'd recommend starting with REmake if you can.
>>
>>384331793
The Wii version is best version
>>
>>384331958
>REmake has a little
RE is like 70% resource management
>>
>>384331793
4 is a good starting point for plebs who should kill themselves yeah
>>
Is the story of RE4 standalone or do I have to play the earlier games to "get it?"
>>
>>384331958

If one isn't going to start with RE4 then absolutely go with REmake but the question at that point is "am I willing to learn 1996-tier tank controls and fixed camera angles or not" and let's be real here, for some the answer is no. I personally don't think it's hard to adapt to and you'd be missing out on a great game but it's a question one should ask themselves before diving straight into REmake.

>>384332320

It's a fairly standalone entry, you could retcon RE4 wholesale and not really lose much of worth.
>>
>is the fourth game in the series a good starting point

you're an idiot
>>
>>384332472
:(
>>
>>384332453
RE4 has the same exact controls as the classic games. They're even easier cause you don't have to aim.
>>
>>384332602

They do but not the fixed camera angles, and perspective really matters in this instance. I just hear way too many cases of people dropping REmake (and classic RE in general) over that shit and it's a damn shame.
>>
>>384331793
Either start with REmake, or pick another series. If there's anything the world needs less of, it's RE4 babbies.
>>
File: Updated shitpost.png (4MB, 2778x2175px) Image search: [Google]
Updated shitpost.png
4MB, 2778x2175px
>>384331793
RE4 is not a good starting point. The best way to play the series is release order, with mandatory games being
>1 (DS and Saturn are best versions, avoid Director's Cut Dualshock, also has PC ver.)
>2 (GCN is best, PS1 is good as well, has PCver.)
>3 (same as above)
>CV (Dreamcast original is least retarded, CVX PS2-On-PS4 is best ver., CVXHD is PS3 360 exclusive)
>REmake (PC, PS4, GCN)
>0 (same as above)
>4 (PS4 HD has all the content)
>Revelations
>Degeneration(movie)
>5 (get rereleases or Gold version, play only Lost in Nightmares out of the DLC)
>Revelations 2
>Damnation(movie)
>6
>Vendetta(movie)
>VII
Most of the optional titles are good, but require prior knowledge of the series. Avoid games like Operation Raccoon City. Also, Survivor 1, 2, Dead Aim, Outbreak 1 and 2 and the Chronicles games are all canon
>>
>>384333193

>no recs for Revelations

I ended up playing it on 3DS and PS3 and honestly I liked it more on 3DS. The game feels like it was designed with its native platform in mind and upscaling the visuals didn't change that it felt like playing a glorified handheld game on a console. At least on the 3DS it's a tech marvel relative to its hardware. It's one of my favorite RE games but I didn't care as much for it when played on a "bigger" platform personally.
>>
>>384331793
>is 4 a good starting point?

Yes.

It's a good game that will keep your attention and introduce you to some of its concepts in the best possible way. Then move to REmake and RE2, and 3 to see what the series is really about.
>>
File: 1371008411340.png (258KB, 1256x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1371008411340.png
258KB, 1256x1075px
>>384333193
>hating 4
>but loving 5
>and loving 6
>hating 7

shittest taste on the planet
>>
File: 1486959130187.jpg (29KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
1486959130187.jpg
29KB, 600x568px
>>384333193
>CV and Zero better than 4
>5 and 6 better than 4
>video game novels being anything but absolute trash
Opinions discarded, unless you have reviews/critiques (ones you have written previously-- ones that aren't a 4chan post) to share.
>>
>>384334154
>cv and zero better than 4
I like muh survival horror
>5 and 6 better than 4
I like muh plot and there are some aestethic and gameplay reasons for their ranking as well
>video game novels being anything but absolute trash
I found them enjoyable. They're nothing special, but they're fun.
>>384334151
>hating 4
Don't hate it, just found it mediocre.
>but loving 5
Didn't love it, I liked it. The story was good and the game looked nice so it got extra points.
>loving 6
I liked the gameplay and I actually really enjoyed most of Leon campaign, as well as the Jake and Chris campaigns. But, issues within those campaigns hold it back, and the Ada one is absolute dogshit.
>hating VII
It happened over time and subsequent replays
>>
>>384334382
If you cannot understand a 19 word sentence, then I don't see how you could have good taste.
>>
>>384334925
I defend myself rather than just avoid discussion
>>
>>384334382
nothing about your novel-sized post is helping your case
>>
>>384335079
>can't read a few sentences
>>
>>384335047
An actual argument, which is what a decent review establishes, facilitates a discussion. And certainly a more straightforward and transparent one. What the fuck will I do with someone going, "I like muh survival horror"? Other than go, 'So do I, but I know CV is a completely rancid clone that strips massive features that RE3 lovingly added. I like good survival horror, which CV is not.' and then '5 and 6 have plot? Wait, are you implying GOOD plot?'
>>
>>384331793
No.

0. Remake. 2. 3. CV. 4. 5. 6. 7.

That's the main meat, all other games are spin offs if you really enjoy the overarching plot and characters.
>>
File: re4 hd leaves.jpg (2MB, 2692x1080px) Image search: [Google]
re4 hd leaves.jpg
2MB, 2692x1080px
>the final absolute best edition of RE4 will be complete within your lifetime

how does it feel anons?
>>
>>384335517
Feels good man. I hope they don't botch the character models. Or worse, they refuse to change them entirely.
>>
>>384335317
The reason why I like CV is because it manages to continue Resident Evil's ongoing story and style of survival horror, but it does it poorly. The only reason it has the reaction it has is because of some of the characters and the story. Honestly, I think the gameplay of CV is the worst of the main series, but I love just about everything else in it.
And I do enjoy the plot of 5 and 6. RE5 finished off what CV set up in relatively okay fashion, and the game's look was really nice that I just can't ignore. The latter point is the same for 6, but 6 also adds gameplay improvements, and the story found in the Chris and Jake campaigns were fun enough to keep me going. Everything else in the game ranges from godawful to alright.
>>
>>384332010
>playing games on easy
>>
>>384332320
You'll be a bit confused about who Ada is, but you'll be able to infer most of the relevant stuff. You'll feel similarly about Krauser and then later find out that was actually his first appearance in the series.
>>
REmake is a great starting point
>>
>>384335660
>Ignores point about CV regressing from RE3 to tell how the ~story~ is good
Right, okay, maybe you shouldn't post the chart. Ever.
>>
>>384333193
>REmake not perfect tier
is this image bait?
>>
File: re 4 hd model updates.jpg (1MB, 2118x1080px) Image search: [Google]
re 4 hd model updates.jpg
1MB, 2118x1080px
>>384335606
I know everything Ashley's panties is on the table, leon's Jacket is slated to be one of the last things they do since they want to get it right.
>>
>>384335964
I did say I thought the gameplay was the worst in the series, and I do dislike the fact that it gets rid of the improvements made by RE3. Also, I post the chart every 5 or so RE threads, and recently I've been updating it.
>>384335976
Because 2 and 3 were better games
>>
>>384332010
Wii version breaks the game and takes all tension/difficulty away. They neutered a major mechanic that the entire game is designed around and people say it's best version just because its easier to get used to.
>>
>>384334382

>liked Leon campaign
>hated Ada's

I will never fucking understand this. Ada's campaign was Leon's but good. Leon tried, and failed miserably, to blend RE2 stylings into the RE6 formula. It was the campaign that tried to be the biggest throwback to the classics and it fell completely flat with Leon being WAY too powerful to evoke any sort of classic-style dread, zombies being an absolute bore compared to pretty much every other zombie type, tedious setpieces one after the other after the other, Helena being a god awful plot device and generally unlikable character, tripping bullshit, and Simmons being by a wide margin the most obnoxiously long boss gauntlet in the game. Ada's, on the other hand, not only had a few puzzles that actually felt like an honest throwback to classic RE but gave you one of the most satisfying weapons in the game, and don't tell me you didn't love popping headshots with that crossbow, the crunch it made felt great compared to the other pea shooters in the game. Yeah, the Carla wall was shit but I'll take even that over half of the setpieces in Leon's campaign. The only thing Leon's had going for it was the wave of devastation that Leon was constantly mixed up in, scenes like an entire church full of people dying one by one was among the more affecting scenes in the game. Shame the enemy type in question overstays his welcome by about 3 encounters.
>>
>>384335976
>throws away the juttery harsh-ugly creepy-dreadful low-fi atmosphere for a greasy-generic gothic atmosphere.
>throws away the absolutely charming and endearing sublimely shitty dialogue for just a generic fucking bland purely mediocre video game voiceover, while keeping the same awful story
It's unaccceptabru, m8. t. played RE1 for the first time two years ago, bought a gcn on launch, and never owned a ps1.
>>
File: re 4 hd floor.jpg (491KB, 2118x1080px) Image search: [Google]
re 4 hd floor.jpg
491KB, 2118x1080px
>>384336039
*everything except the panties
>>
>>384336305
Leon's campaign grew on me after awhile, and Ada's just kinda happened. Wasn't really a good ending to the game either, unless you count the extra Jake ending as part of Ada's ending.
>>
>>384336295
Maybe people say it's the best version because the controls are godlike and fun as shit? Nah, everything has to be about difficulty circlejerking in a game that's pretty damn easy.
>>
>>384336369
good thing there's a mod to re-insert the original VO for the best of both worlds
>>
>>384336423

>Leon's campaign grew on me after awhile

Well, I'm guess I should be glad for you. I wish I were you if it'd ease the pain. Like, words cannot express how much I detested that campaign. I was shocked to play Jake's and Chris's afterwards and actually find myself enjoying it in spots. Then I hit Ada's and it's almost everything I wanted Leon's to be.

>Wasn't really a good ending to the game either

Can't say I was terribly invested in the narrative overall, I just kinda rolled with the punched like I do almost every RE game.
>>
>>384331793
yes
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.