[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will the legendary artifact ever be used?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: Musicboxstatue.png (11KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Musicboxstatue.png
11KB, 640x480px
>>
It only existed for the sake of the gag that you couldn't get it
>>
File: 1490019263130.png (176KB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
1490019263130.png
176KB, 1024x1325px
>>384329069
I'd believe the gag thing completely if they hadn't stuck it behind a puzzle that involves the past of the most important character, and has you play his leitmotif.

It seems odd to me that you'd have a very important bit of emotionally straight-laced foreshadowing coupled to a complete joke.
>>
>>384328949
explain
>>
>>384329524
The intense and complex buildup is why the gag works.

> a very important bit of emotionally straight-laced foreshadowing coupled to a complete joke
Subversion of expectations is literally how humor functions man
>>
File: 1480471273693.jpg (107KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1480471273693.jpg
107KB, 730x1095px
>>384330754
When I talk about coupling i mean in the long-term (at least with regards to game length) sense.
It's a very sweet sounding tune, and it follows a lot of waterfall, which I thought was emotionally impactful in its presentation, but it isn't lent any significance until the climax of the game.

I understand that the mismatch between expectation and outcome is a key pillar of humor, but what I'm getting at is that it didn't need to be THE song of the main non character player. It could have been any other music and it could have worked just fine so long as it was short enough to be played on the piano.

But it is the theme of arguably the central character of the game, and the gag is executed by having the literal on-screen representation of the developer himself yank it from you.

Given that there's been a lot of speculation over the eventual fate of the little goat-demon kid, I think it's fair to ask as to whether the artifact might have any greater significance in the future.
The developer has said that he'd like to something more with undertale in the future, and made some explicit hints about a new project, which piqued my curiosity.
>>
>>384331856
>Reddit spacing

Go back
>>
>>384331856
>It could have been any other music
It could have been, true, but Undertale does a good job of not wasting any space. The tune is meaningless at the time you hear it, so it still functions as a gag, but it also primes you to realize that the statue and music has more to it. If it were random music it wouldn't serve the same worldbuilding purpose.

>>384331972
>REEEEEEEE readable posts
>>
File: 1417547926031.gif (473KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1417547926031.gif
473KB, 460x345px
Has he even added anything in the past year or so?

I'm still waiting for something, fucking anything on gaster.
>>
>>384332212
The ps4 version will have "new content" whatever that means
>>
>>384331972
>Paragraphs are Reddit

GED detected.
>>
>>384332212
Let mysteries be mysteries
>>
File: 666.jpg (666KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
666KB, 666x666px
>>384332704
NO TOBY

ACTUALLY WRITE A GODDAMN STORY
>>
File: 158.png (11KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
158.png
11KB, 447x378px
>>384332162
>Undertale does a good job of not wasting any space.

That's exactly my point. The overwhelming majority of world building, lore, and random facts culminate to build the climax of the game.
It isn't just being space-efficient, it actively builds towards something.
That's part of what makes the game so great, the flower steals all the souls, and you see that like 95% of the game's content has come to a head.
Everything suddenly makes sense.

>The tune is meaningless at the time you hear it, so it still functions as a gag, but it also primes you to realize that the statue and music has more to it. If it were random music it wouldn't serve the same worldbuilding purpose.

I know, I agree completely. But the artifact is still there, and that's what interests me.
Even when it's rough, the game is shockingly well put together, and so I can't help but consider that potential loose ends like this are meaningful.
>>
>>384332346
It's a special kind of content called "no new content", unless the promo was lying.
>>
>>384333050
>so I can't help but consider that potential loose ends like this are meaningful.
I understand what you're getting at, and that's a fair point.

Still, I appreciate that some things are left open (like >>384332704). Perhaps that's inconsistent with what I said before about the game having little wasted space, but every story needs some things that just are what they are for the sake of mystery, or humor. Leaving it to the imagination is the best way sometimes.
>>
File: 1470146413239.jpg (74KB, 900x567px) Image search: [Google]
1470146413239.jpg
74KB, 900x567px
>>384333470
I agree with some things being left as a mystery or at least unexplained as it's absolutely for the best that not all pieces of media have wookiepedia-esque tumors attached to them that have to explain literally every single fucking little thing for the sake of hyper autism.

But the important thing for said pieces of media (and those who consume it) to do is to set boundaries and delineate what is and is not important. This is especially important in things like Undertale where the mystery is a very important component of the experience.
continuing thsi in a second thread is about to archive
>>
File: uhu.png (27KB, 698x727px) Image search: [Google]
uhu.png
27KB, 698x727px
>>384335081
okay continued

So what I'm getting at here is that "Where do we draw the line with regards to importance" is an important question, especially for undertale, which is rare in video games in that it actually has solid information that you can draw from deduction that bolsters the plot and character development.

One of my favorites is the obvious relation between flowey's closed circle attacks at the beginning of the game, and asgore's flame attacks of the same pattern, but open.
He totally could have wasted the main character, but holds off in the same way all of his other attacks won't outright kill you, but rather bring you to 1 hp first.

And the game is of course absolutely chock full of legitimately true things to figure out like in the same vein as my example. It's not just speculation that ends in ambiguity, but actual "holy shit that was actually intended" type stuff.

So when we talk about mystery in undertale, I think it pays to be especially careful and thoughtful.

Also, with regards to gaster and whatever his deal is, you>>384332212
>>384332346
might be interested in the pic, which is at the heart of the CORE.
Sorry for the silly annotations, I couldn't find an untouched image.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.