[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a discussion about Smash for the Nintendo Switc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ssbswitch_mockup.png (409KB, 1023x465px) Image search: [Google]
ssbswitch_mockup.png
409KB, 1023x465px
I don't just mean rattling off another list of newcomers you want. I'm talking about whether or not Smash 5 is feasible. Or even desirable.

Right now, the Switch is a serviceable but flawed tech toy that has had a strong start with sales, mostly because anybody who cares at all for Nintendo products wanted anything that wasn't the Wii U. Launch is over. It needs big games to back up its existence, and fast. It's clear from every single Switch commercial and Nintendo's development of Arms, Splatoon 2, and the Mario Kart port that they're going in hard with the outdoors lan party angle. Smash is Nintendo's flagship fighting franchise, a cash cow, and it fits the bill, so it seems like an inevitability.

But Smash Bros. draws from a well of hype and showmanship that I believe is beginning to run dry. At this point, you could continue adding newcomers, but after every major Nintendo mascot, supporting character, and shit like Cloud Strife most characters that might have made a stir years ago are going to seem quaint. Who are they going to add? Think of anything likely, ridiculous, or impossible. Inkling, Rayman, Ice Climbers? Will that really turn heads? The roster is already at 58, a point at which even Sakurai admits the prospect of game balance is too unwieldy.
This isn't even getting into the fact that Smash 4 was a massivecommitment of time and money that, from both Nintendo and the consumer's perspective, didn't occur that long ago. Now, for the sake of a new console whatever subsidiary Nintendo deems fit is tasked with doing it all over again, but bigger and shinier enough to justify a sequel.

TL;DR: So is it actually going to happen, or isn't it? Would they actually just go for an updated port? Would that be a letdown? What could they possibly do to make you stay up until Japan Time all over again?
>>
>>384328789
Unlikely to happen at this current time. Smash already has it's user base and they've likely did some focus group tests with a rerelease. Once switch sales exceed Wii U sales or begin to reach that point expect to hear about smash. Be it a rerelease with dlc or a new game. Even if porting the game is cheap marketing isn't. I don't know shit about this stuff but hey it's a bump.
>>
>>384328789
Give it at least until next E3, then it'll be released two years after.
Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest system sellers, there's no way they're skipping it for the Switch.
>>
In short, If we hear about it this year, It'll be smash 4 switch. If we don't, smash 5.
I don't think ninty would let the switch go without a smash game, I think it's just a quiestion of which.
>>
>>384329116

>Once switch sales exceed Wii U sales or begin to reach that point expect to hear about smash.

That sounds logical but Nintendo seems keen on leaving the Wii U in the dust as fast as possible. See: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Smash's competitive community fractures each time a new game comes out, but the vast majority will migrate if gameplay changes become apparent. Casuals will always migrate if they have the money.

Marketing is tricky because Smash isn't the sort of title Nintendo would put out without a substantial marketing campaign to herald it, and there's not a lot of point in marketing a port unless there is truly a gamechanging amount of new content.

There's also the question of whether or not porting the game would retain all of the third party deals they strung together for SSB4. If Yes, then an Smash 4 Switch Deluxe is pretty much a given. If no, then it's going to be a strain on the game. When it was just Snake getting cut it was a sacrifice, but if you're losing swathes of characters to expired one-time crossover deals it's going to be crippling, and less of the player base will migrate.
>>
Well, since PG is teasing Wii U ports / TW101 sequel and Nintendo is even throwing up some port ideas from Wii U, I'd say they'll probably be fine well into 2018.

They've still got Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem and possibly a new Pokemon sitting on 2018 on top of unannounced titles.

Also, Sakurai and the team were able to cook out a soundtrack that rivals or in some instances even beats Brawl's OST.

I've got faith in the next Smash project, especially since Bamco will already have had experience working on a Smash Bros game, allowing for faster development with less stress on Sakurai's end.
>>
>>384330765
>There's also the question of whether or not porting the game would retain all of the third party deals they strung together for SSB4.

I don't see why not.

The amiibo of the last 3 characters (2 of them being 3rd party reps) were announced in December 2015 and took until July 2017 to come out.

Also of note: Bamco, Square Enix, PG and Capcom are on pretty good terms with Nintendo right now.

I don't see them pulling there characters out of Smash Bros because it probably profited them alot to have those characters in Smash Bros.
>>
they'll just relaunch Sm4sh with maybe 5 more characters like they did Pokken while they spend a year or so developing a new title while ignoring melee fags again
>>
>>384331174
>>384331174
I would love it if all of the tie ins came back for another installment and ideally snake would be there too.
>>
Do you think Mario can possess with the power of the cap in smash?
>>
>>384328789

It would be a complete waste of time to make a new game from scratch on Switch hardware. They should just pump up the existing game with new interesting features.
>>
>>384328789
Real talk, Nintendo needs to incentivize people to own the switch who already own the WiiU. It's a fucking steep investment to buy the switch at its current price, especially since it only costs them a 3rd of that to produce it (by estimated part costs+shipping).

If they're going to simply port every fuckin title they need to give existing owners of these titles a steeeeeeeep discount. The WiiU has a 10million+ install base, thats a lotta buyers Nintendo needs to win back regardless of how the marketers wanna shitpost about "entitlement".

Smash 4 would be a great candidate for this.
>>
>>384331874
>a 3rd of that to produce it
The last estimate I heard implied about 2/3rd-5/6th of the Switch's cost goes into parts and manufacturing. Source?
>>
>>384330939

I honestly don't think Sakurai will be back. Each installment has worn on him harder. He made Smash 4 hard to top and then made his peace.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.