[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ consider BoTW empty but no The Witcher 3?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 16

File: 81RbwMABstL._SY445_.jpg (45KB, 275x445px) Image search: [Google]
81RbwMABstL._SY445_.jpg
45KB, 275x445px
Why does /v/ consider BoTW empty but no The Witcher 3?
>>
Open World games are shit and Zelda doesn't get a pass for being cartoony as well as The Witcher 3 shouldn't get a pass for featuring Julian Assange as MC
>>
because game I like vs game I don't like
>>
>>384299440
what are you talking about, one of the largest complaints about TW3 is that the world is totally empty and fake open world
>>
>>384299440
It's not empty though. It has more content and side quests than any other Zelda game.

/v/ just desperately needs to find some angle of attack rather than just accept Nintendo made a good game.

Witcher 3 is preddy gud too.
>>
>>384299440

/v/ simply can't accept that BotW is a fantastic game.
>>
>>384299440
It's the meme to hate any game that's good, even the Witcher 3.
>>
BotW has 900 Koroks.
If you gave The Witcher 3 900 of a collectible, people would be praising it for having a lot of content too.
>>
>>384301530
BotW has 900 Koroks but you only need half that for all the upgrades.

It's designed so that you can get everything without needing to find all of them, because you can explore however you like.

If you need to find all 900 for you autism it's your autism that's to blame.
>>
because /v/ is the biggest bunch of cdpr dickriders on the internet
>>
>>384299440
Because BotW is a console exclusive
>>
File: 1497051533013.png (204KB, 334x458px) Image search: [Google]
1497051533013.png
204KB, 334x458px
You know what I like the most about the ass sting caused by BotW?

It will never, ever go away
>>
>>384299440

Go back to getting your shrines and korok seeds, billy.
>>
>>384302057
What ass sting?
>>
>>384301667
>people bitch about dk64 or asscreed flags and sideshit
>900 generic seeds
>wow nintendo just filled a world with tons if things to do what an incredible experience
>>
>>384302262
>>384302173
>>384302083
The ass sting still reverberates
>>
>>384302262
Nice shitpost, you obviously didn't play the game.
>>
>>384302484
Who is ass stung? The people who bought BotW because it wasn't good? Or the people who didn't buy it because it is good?
>>
>>384302484

You wish, this game will be forgotten by the masses and eventually remembered by drones as a lesser Zelda title
>>
File: FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg (3MB, 1000x5118px) Image search: [Google]
FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg
3MB, 1000x5118px
>>384302262
>>
>>384302484
>no really its the best game ever ur just mad, but ill ignore everyones points

>>384302554
Nothing shitposty about it. Are you upsrt someone pointed out the issue with all the praise given to an average game?

I did everything but fully upgrade all armor, conplete the compendium and get all seeds. Deal with it
>>
>>384302637
The people who are unwilling to admit that Nintendo mic dropped the entire fucking industry with BotW.
>>
>>384299906
But i thought /v/ was nintendogaf.
>>
>>384302689
goddamn I played the game and the vast majority of those points are wild exaggerations of single fetch quests
>>
>>384302689
oh look that idiot with the dumb lisy was so proud of his dumb list he made into an image.

Also as someone in the gaming journalism circle i can tell you most of those who reviewed it are idiots
>>
>>384302783
prove it
>>
>>384302783
>get all seeds
why waste your time
>>
>>384302976
NO YOU DIDN'T PLAY IT YOU LIAR!
>>
>>384302689

>shoot a dragon's cysts off while paragliding, same shit you've done the entire game to get a shrine
>fetch quests that end in a shrine
>talking to people ending in a shrine
>horse that doesn't do anything actually useful because you can teleport
>maze that ends in a shrine
>fetch quests
>MMO quests
>barebones delivery quests
>barebones talking quests
>mindless busywork that gives no substantial reward

I too, can fluff up generic things in epik games like Skyrim to seem like it isn't just a slight variation on the same shit you've been doing the entire game. Then put everything in an image and then repost it every thread in lieu of an actual counterargument.

>>384302814

>mic dropped the entire fucking industry

cringe
>>
File: 1498002303237.gif (3MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498002303237.gif
3MB, 480x320px
>>384303042
>as someone in the gaming journalism circle i can tell you most of those who reviewed it are idiots
>>
>>384299440
because the grass, trees, and textures in the witcher 3 don't fall away at 20 paces
>>
I think the difference here is Witcher 3 puts a lot of set pieces in to break up the monotony. These things don't necessarily mean anything or are a part of anything but they make you stop and check it out. Then you start thinking, "what happened here?" or "why are all these people dead?" "this lone skeleton sure is mysterious I wonder what happened to this poor fellow," Witcher 3 has a lot of things like this while BotW does not. At least from my experience playing both. I guess you could call them mere distractions from emptiness but it certainly a lot than something being purely empty.
>>
Both are prime examples of millenials who havent learbed yetthat hyperbole is stupid and who havent played many gmes so they pretty much call the one rpg/open world game theyve played the best ever
>>
Empty refers to unique content, of which BotW has barely any.
Even assets are recycled all over the place to be able to fit on Switch's tiny storage.
>>
They're both garbage series ruiners.

fuck open world
>>
>>384303141
Not him but it's hilarious how the winers always prove that image correct.

>the game has content!
Shit tons of content get posted.
>no that content doesn't count!

Fuck off and cry somewhere else.
>>
>>384302689
I didn't know you could do something with that zora girl sending bottled messages

I talked to her initially about writing the letter but when I came back later I couldn't find her at all and had no idea where she disappeared to

I found the guy who the message goes to but he doesn't give any quests either
>>
>>384303417
I think you need to talk to her mother in Zora domain to kickstart it.
>>
>>384303412
I mean if you're willing to count half of that shit as content then you may as well go all the way and say fucking Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky are full of great, meaningful content
>>
>>384303309
This anon is right.
>>
>>384303412

Is every random cave in Skyrim or every variation of "go here and kill x" unique content? You people are so enraptured by babby's first open world game that it's hard to take you seriously. The "free a corrupted dragon" quest is pretty much everything that's wrong with BotW. Do something mildly cool, something that breaks from the monotany of the usual exploration. Offer the eye, what's going to happen? Bam a fucking shrine.
>>
File: imacca.jpg (64KB, 680x220px) Image search: [Google]
imacca.jpg
64KB, 680x220px
>>384303647
>babby's first open world
I see this sad attempt at derision all the time.

And yet Breath Of The Wild treats players with far more respect and intelligence and is ultimately far more sophisticated in its design than most of its peers.

Tell me I'm wrong.
>>
>>384302057
>oh what's that, criticism for my game
>nope you're just mad ;)
Please kill yourself at your nearest convinience. I fucking hate the nintnedo fanbase.
>>
>>384303309
This.
Dishonored 2, Thief, Witcher 1+2 and Mario 64 are games that do it well. Fairly large, segmented and for the most part well designed and carefully put together levels that you progress through pretty linearly but can explore and find substantial content and secrets in.
BotW exploration is its selling point but it's a fucking joke. What's the point if you always know exactly what you'll find and it's barely useful and never ever needed.
>>
>>384303412
>minigane
>thay doesnt evolve in difficulty or any way whatsoever
>prize is 100 ruppees at best
>from bland, uncharacterized npc
>when other games even other zelda games do it better
>but no this proves its the best game ever because!!!
When that autist first made that list in text form it was annihilated but he just keeps rolling with it pretending he has some point and writing off all counterarguments as just "noo" like a liberal
>>
>>384302783
>I spent hundreds of hours playing a game but I think it's only average
ok
>>
File: 1492349095594.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1492349095594.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>4 months later
>still mad
>>
>>384304093
>why'd you play it so long if you didn't like it?
>wow you only played for X hours? Play it for Y hours before you can form an opinion about it.
>>
>one side argues X is the best game ever no other game comes close
>other side says no its not the best ever, its silly to claim anything is so perfect and better than everything elsd

Gee I wonder which side is overreactibg and which is more rational
>>
>>384304145

>deflecting all discussion of the game with this image again

I would like to look up how many times this image gets reposted but I'm sure its over a hundred times by now.
>>
>>384302689
>B-BUT SONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Every. single. time.
>>
>>384304093
I can enjoy something without foaming at the mouth OMG ITS THE BEST GAME EVER ALL OTHER GAMES ARE SHITTTTT MIC DROPPED THE INDUSYRU XDD
>>
>>384304335
>discussion
Shitposting isn't discussion, sweetie.
>>
>>384304413
you sound very salty about BotW
>>
>>384302689
Going to make this accurate
>Free a corrupted dragon on a mountain by shooting the three eyes on it with arrows
>Solve a whodunnit mystery in Kakariko village by standing there until you see a guy run off and follow him
>Find a horse mob that is white. And a guy who gives you a mission telling you to find it
>Find a shrine in an area that is not a maze, only you can't see anything
>Talk to a bunch of NPCs and give them the item they want so they'll gather together for their choir rehearsal
>Bring increasing quantities of wood and talk once to four different NPCs from each of the 4 major areas to 'build a town'
>Save a team of explorers from bokoblins by killing the bokoblins that are near them then talking to them
>Talk to a guy who is deciphering an ancient plaque, go on a fetch quest to find the three missing pieces of it which are in the immediate vicinity
>Go to a statue whose location is obvious on the map, and take a picture of it
>Roll a snowball to make it bigger like in mario party
>Find a horse mob that is larger than normal horse mobs. And a guy who gives you a mission telling you to find it
>shoot a bunch of bloating balloon targets on mounted obstacle course
>find the area shown in a styled screenshot and walk into the light that is there to see a cinematic
>take an ice block across a small ruin area, don't hold it in the sun too long or it melts
>Go down two different hills on your shield. Get nothing but trash shields for it
>Bring 6000 rupees to get house. Bring more rupees to fully furnish it. You can now put about 9 weapons in it
>Find a horse mob that doesn't have the limited stamina normal horses do, only appears at the exact same location but only on some nights, and has a different design from normal horses. And a guy who tells you about it, but does not give you a quest. Disappears in the morning so you can't actually use it for anything practical.
>Cook some food and give it to an NPC
>Give an NPC an item he wants
>>
>>384299440
>>384299636
Are these just obvious baitposts?

BoTW and the Witcher 3 are both great games, and examples of open world games done right.

In retrospect they show that devs who bitch about open world games are either lazy or don't have the time/resources to implement a good open world game.
>>
>>384302689
What does the sword being red in the panel under "What /v/ pretends I got" imply?
>>
For all the praise BOTW's open world gets I found myself bored of exploring it within 30 hours, and stopped after 35. I then finished the main quest and haven't touched it since. I would love it if the exploration actually resulted in something significant, but everything lead to a fucking shrine. Even the most interesting side content like the "take all your stuff" island leads to a fucking shrine.

Actually, the shrines would be fine too if they had any sort of challenge whatsoever, but it's the most basic puzzles or a combat "challenge." It's a huge open world, with unmatched levels of explorative freedom, but the rewards are so fucking bland that it's just not worth my time.
>>
>>384304639
Stop having criticism about the game. You're just salty.
>>
>>384304639
>muh rewards
People like this are what's ruining video games. Kill yourself, child.
>>
File: I wonder whos behind this post.png (1KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
I wonder whos behind this post.png
1KB, 240x240px
>>384303973

>shit's on Zelda
>politics on /v/
>>
>>384302689
That crappy comparison image with A Link of the Past is incredibly stupid and really doesn't forward your case. It doesn't critique the game properly either. It's just a very flawed comparison.
>>
>>384303232
>while BotW does not.
That's utter bullshit.
>>
>>384304639
>my reward system was fucked by achievements
everyone knows.
>>
>>384304929

what do cheevos have to do with anything? BOTW gets boring after a while because open worlds without significant content aren't worth exploring.
>>
>>384304639

>the rewards are so fucking bland that it's just not worth my time.

Anon, do you realize that there's nothing a game can reward you with that will ever realistically match the value of the time you put into playing it? Accept that fact and vidya becomes easier to enjoy, or harder depending how you look at it.
>>
>>384302689
Neat you can do all that stuff, the problem is that there is nothing in between and there's a lot of in between.
>>
I would much rather have a 20 hour well crafted linear game than an open world that is ultimately devoid of focused content. Shrines are far too short and don't take their puzzles far enough. I found myself thinking "this puzzle idea is interesting, hope there's more shrines that expand upon it," and was disappointed that after 60 shrines not one had ever done puzzles above a grade school difficulty level.
>>
>>384304504
This sounds like a pretty packed videogame.
>>
>>384302689
>Go to an island to do a shrine that would normally not be a challenge, but get all your gear taken away automatically when you get there to make it mildly challenging
>Follow the wind in the lost woods like you followed the sound in OoT to get to the master sword. You can't pull it out unless you did enough shrines for hearts though
>protect a bottle by killing some enemies
>hit an object while it's frozen to make it move, and be inside it when it moves so you move too
>go to three different areas, two of which are clearly visible on your map, and take a picture of the bones there
>pay rupees to wake up a great-fairy like NPC who revives your horse if you want
>sneak into an assassin's hideout that consists of a couple of rooms, to get to the other side that you could have went to start with, except the boss there doesn't spawn unless you go through the two rooms first. you're not actually there to rescue anyone because the girl just rescues herself without your help.
>take photos of wildlife which are just in-game screenshots, or just buy the photos with rupees if you want
>find the flower locations on the map where you pay rupees to the great fairies to revive them
>after building the town by talking to npcs, go back to the original npcs you talked to in order to play a wedding cinematic
>fight the same enemy types over and over and over and over
>do 120 shrines that are almost all trivial, about a third of which aren't actually puzzles, where the real challenge is actually going through the map to find all 120 which becomes finding a needle in a haystack after a while
>do 4 mini-dungeons with almost no enemies where the puzzles are just figuring out which way you're supposed to rotate the area to get to the 5 terminals. takes about 15 minutes for each one
>go to 8 towns with npcs that give fetch quests. only about 2 of them have more than a couple of quests
>do the same 9 korok puzzle variations, except copypasted 100 times over the map for each one
>>
TW3 has actual quests in its world with actual storlines. BoTW only has Korok seeds and shrines over and over
>>
>>384299440

BotW honestly feels a lot emptier to me. Maybe it's because Witcher 3's emptier spots are still pretty stunning looking and gorgeous, when you come upon some beautiful vistas or hills its often a real treat. BotW's graphics are subpar so you never really get that "wow" feeling.

Also, shrines don't really make the world feel less empty, so even when shrines are on the landscape it still feels like a lot of empty space. Witcher 3 feels more naturally constructed. Just my opinion.
>>
File: 1498346618777.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1498346618777.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>384304504
>>
>>384305587
autism is using purple prose to make all these pretty trivial points sound like they're all epic adventures in and of themselves.

also the guy who made the image can't fucking spell
>>
>>384305183

I love playing vidya, I do it whenever I have spare time. BOTW was great when I was starting out, I saw so much potential and became more and more disappointed the further I got. Honestly the game starts to slide downhill as soon as you leave the plateau. 90% of my deaths happened on the shrine, after that it was just learning how to dodge the Lynels. Shrines become more and more disappointing to see the further along you get, and at a certain point you realize that everything leads to a shrine, or the quest is so simple that it's hardly worth the effort anyways.

At least with W3 you get some interesting narrative with each quest barring the monster hunts. Even among those however, there are several that have interesting narratives, like the village that will pay you less if you tell them their "Dragon" isn't actually a Dragon. Or the Grave Hag that's been eating children.
>>
>>384304625
>open world games are either lazy or don't have the time/resources to implement a good open world game.
But that's exactly why BotW is bad. It has recycled content everywhere. Witcher as well but that game at least has effort in its story and voice acting and visuals.
If you've ever played around with map editors you'd know how effortless making BotW's giant world is and plopping down koroks and shrines here and there with even spaces between them.
All you have to do is design the different shrines (some of which have nothing in them or just a combat encounter and all of them have the same assets) and 10 different kinds of korok "puzzles" or how many there even are.

Something like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim at least has a bunch of clutter everywhere and stuff that the player can pick up. Fruits and potions and weapons and notes with unique text on them. Almost all named NPCs (which there are thousands of in Skyrim) have unique dialog and often quests tied to them. If you kill someone, which you can, they don't come back.
Those three games are way too ambitious for what they can really deliver though so they end up getting a lot of hate, whereas BotW is flawless because there's barely anything that could be flawed to begin with.
>>
>>384305272

That nothing in between makes up a better adventure than any other game has taken me on in years. If the walk between the Great Plateau and Lurelin village on the coast feels like a whole lot of nothing to you, then you have my sympathy, and I hope you find a game that gives you what you're looking for soon.
>>
Nobody agrees me with but the climbing ability in BotW is fucking lame, it's not fun and just a gimmick. It's absolutely fine in most game worlds that tall mountains stand as obstacles that shape how you navigate around the world, being able to climb anything is just boring. I would much rather go spelunking than climbing too; is there really much joy in going UP when you can pretty much see everything already?
>>
>>384305798
yeah and you'll never play it again because it sucks out all the fun by the time you finish it the first time
>>
>>384306089
you honestly think I could write that without having played the game? I've never even owned a sony console
>>
>>384305772
Go shill Skyrim somewhere else, Todd.
>>
>>384305853
I actually agree. climbing is a chore, and even when you get the full climbing set and a full stamina bar, it's still a chore

and when it rains it will remind you that it's a chore since it will make it twice as annoying. and when it rains when you don't have those things, you just can't climb at all and have to either wait for the rain to end or find shelter to make a fire to wait at until it ends
>>
>>384304629
low durabality
>>
>>384299440
They're both terribly designed. Open worlds need to fucking die already and be replaced by hubs that actually have shit in them
>>
>>384306352
open worlds are fine. eventually we will have AI that automatically populates open worlds with content of equal detail to human hand-crafted and scripted content, and those will be the best games
>>
>>384306581

So the ideal open world games will happen in about 50 years when AI is as intelligent as humans? Cool I guess
>>
File: [013572].jpg (41KB, 1264x711px) Image search: [Google]
[013572].jpg
41KB, 1264x711px
>>384306089
>acting like a butthurt drone
So when someone immediatley involved Sony for no reason and you call them out on it you are acting like a butthurt drone?
Interesting.

This thread had NOTHING to do with Sony yet still you feel the need to involve them for some reason.
>>
>>384306721
yeah.
>>
>>384302974
/v/ isn't Nintendogaf
/v/ is falseflagging shitposters that pretend to be rabbid drones to piss others off because all it takes is a crying Wojack to get half a thread of (You)s
>>
>>384305684

>I saw so much potential and became more and more disappointed the further I got.
>Shrines become more and more disappointing to see the further along you get, and at a certain point you realized that everything leads to a shrine

I've got a hunch that people who don't connect with BotW are more reward incentivized than people who clicked with the game. For me it's more than enough that if I'm wandering around the right spot, I can chose to shield surf down a mountain side, take out some Lizalfos mid-slide, then jump into the air to paraglide out. Or I can skip the surfing and paraglide over, drop a couple bombs and land with a sword thrust. Or stasis the boulder nearby and if I'm lucky send it hurdling straight into their camp. Or maybe beat them to death with a treasure chest then use it to control a raft and float away at mach 4 down the coastline. All without a single prompt from the game pushing me in the right direction or facilitating a 'correct' way to do things.

The real magic to BotW is player agency, and it's for that reason that this anon >>384306106 is wrong when he says I'll never play it again. I can't speak for everyone else and I don't pretend to, but this is the Zelda game that I have been waiting for and I intend to savor it.
>>
>>384306352
>Mankind Divided does exactly this
>/v/ bitches
>>
>>384306352
That doesn't sound so bad when you see it in older games like Diablo 2 and other zelda titles, but the element itself does have the characteristic of making the game appear less organic. And people want something that feels more and more vast and without a "hub", which is part of why Shadow of The Colossus did so well.
>>
>>384305772
I don't think you've played the game. There's things to collect for food and elixers everywhere, and some of the koroks are genuinely creative.
>>
>>384306983
How new are you? /v/ literally shits on everything. BotW is a polar opposite of SS which was hated by pretty much everyone here for being too handholdy and linear, yet /v/ still shits on it and now wants Zelda games to be like SS.
>>
>>384307213
None of the koroks are creative because it's literally the same set of puzzles pasted again and again and again. Name one that's creative, and there are 20 different variations of it.

The one where you have to put the egg in the water? That's the same apple one you've been trained to do 50 times. The one with the rusty shield? Also the same apple one you've been trained to do 50 times. Fuck koroks. They're not puzzles. The hardest part is finding them, not doing them
>>
>>384306914

I loved the freedom as well. I just got bored of it relatively quickly. I could try to set up some interesting stuff, or I could just hit them with my sword. Usually hitting them with my sword was faster and since enemies drop weapons like I drop my phone I was never short of weapons. Not only that the enemy variety is severely lacking. You see mainly 3 types of enemies and you quickly learn how they function. They don't even work that well with each other, though Moblins picking up Bokoblins when there are no easy weapons around will never stop being funny.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad you can have fun with the systems present, but I found myself bored of them after 20 hours.
>>
>>384299440

Because while BotW has more world interaction, with that comes a higher awareness of how much less there is. Since the focus is on climbing rocks or gliding over valleys or cutting trees, the world starts to look like nothing but a bunch of rocks and trees. Witcher 3's gameplay is focused on doing the quests and absorbing the narrative/world around you, so the world starts to look like a reflection of the characters and the story being told; when walking around Velen, for instance, you can just feel how the sadness is reflected in the depressing landscape. When going through all the alleys and passages of Novigrad, you can see how people hide themselves away and how underground gangs are rampant.
>>
>>384299440
> The Witcher 3
I too enjoy being handheld from objective marker to objective marker while being spoonfed precise instructions on how to solve every quest with minimal thinking on my part.
>>
>>384307297

>/v/ is one person

jesus fucking christ why is this still a thing
>>
>>384307375
Then don't collect them? There's 900 so feel free to casually grab them for extra item space, I'm sure it won't be too much of a strain :^)
>>
>>384306914

But honestly, freedom of movement can get old surprisingly quickly. If there isn't an interesting game around it, it's hard to be immersed for long. There's only so many times you can do neat physics stuff before it becomes boring. It would be better if the physics engine was actually integral to the game's puzzles - like Portal - instead of just neat stuff you can post in webms.
>>
>>384307741
What point are you trying to make? That they're not only uncreative and tedious, but that you have to do too many to make your limited inventory less of a pain?

Good job I guess
>>
>>384307420

>Glad you can have fun with the systems present, but I found myself bored of them after 20 hours.

Thanks anon, I'm pretty damn glad that I can too. I did not have high expectations after SS, but they took whatever I expected, pissed on it, lit it on fire, and kicked its autistic ass to the curb in favor of giving me BotW.

Also, by my standards at least, 20 hours is not bad for any game. Most barely get an hour or two out of me. But as you say, different strokes.
>>
>>384299440

Lack of any underground areas makes it feel very "on the surface". The world has no inside.
>>
>>384306106
>yeah and you'll never play it again because it sucks out all the fun by the time you finish it the first time
I was worried for some time that the game would be really dull to replay. But the game has proven to be much more replayable than I had first imagined. It's been really fun to re-apply all that I've learned over the course of my first playthrough. And trying new solutions for Shrines and other challenges. As well as simply plotting my paths through the world now that I am much more familiar with the Hyrule of BotW itself.
And replaying it on hard mode is something I feel like have made it even more enjoyable. Trying to use my experience to do things more efficiently than before, in spite of the higher difficulty. I am really loving it.

It's kind of reminiscent to replaying Dark Souls. Picking your initial build, and plotting what gear and upgrades to aim for first. Using your accumulated experience to best encounters in ingenious ways. And so on.
Don't get me wrong, exploring Breath of the Wild was pretty amazing and a high light of the game for sure. The lack of there being anything unknown to explore was what had me worried would strip the game of its charm. But with most of the exploration out of the way from having already played the game, the pacing improves quite a bit instead. And the rapid fire pace of which you can go through the path and checklist you made for yourself for how you wanted to tackle the game this time around, makes it pretty intense for an additional playthrough. I honestly had a blast playing it again.
>>
>>384307813

>But honestly, freedom of movement can get old surprisingly quickly. If there isn't an interesting game around it, it's hard to be immersed for long.

I think that depends on the person anon. For instance, I clocked something like 80 to 90 hours before I'd even considered exploring the desert, I only logged about 115 hours before my Wii U disk drive broke and I still haven't gotten it fixed. Still haven't even stepped on Death Mountain, been inside Hyrule Castle, or finished 3 of the 4 divine beasts. Too much time spent dicking around and getting distracted.
>>
>>384299440

IT'S
OK
WHEN
NINTENDO
DOES
IT
>>
By the time you've spent 200 hours 100%ing this game you'll never want to play it again. Actually you'll probably never want to play it again after about half that time but you'll keep going for completion's sake anyway. if not, you probably have some kind of autism and can't speak for the vast majority of people.

The game just draws itself out too much with the massive amount of tedium. There isn't enough actual variation to keep you interested for how much it wants you to be
>>
>>384307213
I don't think you've played Skyrim or Oblivion if you think it's even close. And koroks aren't unique. There are probably 10 different "puzzles" with slightly different tweaks.
>>
>>384302689

>very possibly the best video game ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQSGB-eb9M
>>
>>384307895
I don't think they're tedious or boring, I find it to be fun. Little puzzles are what Zeldas always been about, well that and adventuring.
>>
>>384307597
B-but the story!
And the countless references to Witcher material that I have never played or read because I am a filthy casual that hopped right onto the third game with no knowledge of the prior games or original novels!
>>
I like the game but the concept of the shrines is honestly fucking atrocious. If I made the game I would have axed almost all of them and replaced them with NPC sidequests
>>
File: 1499892738778.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1499892738778.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>384305680
you can stop talking now
>>
>>384308557
If all zelda puzzles were always as repetitive and copypasted as the korok """puzzles""" then the wool has been pulled over my eyes the entire time, and I'll never be able to enjoy zelda again after knowing
>>
>>384308754
>no argument
>will happily post or defend a gish gallop image but will throw a tantrum when someone takes the time to counter every single point
>>
>>384308776

This whole post is retarded. I don't know why (You) bother
>>
Why do people dislike shrines so, but were completely fine with the caves and holes of the previous games? Most of which barely even had rewards of any kind.

Shrines at the very least have guaranteed rewards. And have varying degrees of interesting content inside of them.
>>
>>384309092

Hidden Grottos were just fun side bits. The main game had mountains of content. One of the main attractions and the primary reward of exploration, the shrines, are mostly bland and have extremely easy puzzles in the best cases.
>>
>>384308776
Stay mad friend :^)
>>
>>384309092
BotW is the hardest zelda game to find all the hearts in simply because there are so many fucking shrines that you're bound to miss a couple and not know where to look. Needle in a haystack gameplay is not fun

I could find them without too much trouble in any previous zelda game.
>>
>>384308557
Then you'd probably be happy to know that you can lift rocks and see what you'll find in real life and never be bored for the rest of your life. But maybe knowing exactly what you'll find every time you see an incomplete rock circle or stump on an otherwise barren mountain is the fun part.
>>
>>384299656
>It's not empty though. It has more content and side quests than any other Zelda game.
Yet the game gives me no desire to do any of that beyond shrines, the few dungeons they have and the main quest line. I really think they have should have dumped the shrines altogether and regulated getting upgrades to your health and stamina to the side quests and chests out in the world to make the the world content more enticing to do. Y'know, like in the other Zelda games.
>>
>>384309092

Because those grottos are just tiny areas that are meant as tiny diversions in the world. Shrines meanwhile are presented as a real fundamental part of the experience.

I also like those little holes because at least they feel somewhat natural, the shrines feel wildly artificial
>>
>>384299440
The world of the Witcher is fucking alive, with things going on it.

The world of Zelda is sparse and powerfully empty, save for a few enemy camps... and a fox or two.
>>
File: 1499894956771.jpg (68KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1499894956771.jpg
68KB, 431x450px
>>384308890
really looks like I'm the one throwing the tantrum, Mr Greentext Wall
>>
>>384309376
Perhaps you should go outside and look under a rock yourself rather than being this mad :^)
>>
>>384309391
I'm merely countering every point in the image.

you won't attack the image but you won't defend the argument that counters it from the other side, which by the way was made by a retard who can't even spell "divine" so doesn't lend much credence to his side

biased as fuck.
>>
>>384309092
This is how stupid people who like BotW are.
Shrines aren't the holes in the ground from previous games. Shrines are temples segmented into tiny fragments that completely lack a difficulty curve between them.
>>
>>384299440
Witcher has far more small towns and major cities than BITW.
>>
>>384309092
Because shrines are obviously a band-aid fix to them not having too many dungeons, one of the best things about Zelda games.
>>
>>384309534
>oh shit he's right. what do I do?
>>
>>384309715
>dungeons, one of the best things about Zelda games.
Then why is the game with the best dungeons(SS) is also the worst one? Checkmate, fag.
>>
>>384309715
Not really. They clearly intended to have no dungeons at all, shrines weren't a band-aid fix, they were literally all the dungeon content that they could have done chopped up into tiny bite sized pieces so you feel no accomplishment or immersion whatsoever

They didn't do it accidentally. They literally made it shit by design because they thought "why have dungeons? we always had dungeons, maybe we should try not having them?"

which makes it even worse.
>>
>>384309840

Because it doesn't have the best dungeons anon. Zelda 2 does.
>>
>>384302689
I really like the game but most of that is played up to sound more meaningful than it actually is.
>>
>>384309840
SS has no real world, just three zones. In a way SS was shit in the exact opposite way that BotW was shit.
>>
>>384309263
Shrine puzzles are kinda a bit easy sure but they're also much better and still harded than any """puzzle""" from any previous Zelda dungeons.
>>
>>384309960
https://www.gamefaqs.com/gbc/472313-the-legend-of-zelda-oracle-of-ages/faqs/11534
>>
>>384309960

>Shrine puzzles are kinda a bit easy sure but they're also much better and still harded than any """puzzle""" from any previous Zelda dungeons.

This anon raises a fair point. If the dungeons and specifically the puzzles in them from previous Zelda games are so much better than the Shrine's in BotW, let's see some examples.
>>
>>384309960

No Zelda puzzle has ever been difficult, but previous titles have expanded on puzzle ideas. BOTW has none of that, every shrine (and every unique puzzle contained within) is given only the smallest bit of attention. You never encounter a more difficult or expanded version of interesting puzzles like you do in previous titles.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>384309641
Shrines may have puzzles in them that you would typically have expected to find in dungeons instead. But that does not mean that they aren't like the caves and holes of previous games. Except they put actual content inside of them. And instead of possibly finding a heart piece, you're guaranteed an orb that can be either a heart piece or a stamina piece.
>>
>>384310140
This, because by design there can't be an increasing level of difficulty. Every shrine is designed as if it's the first shrine after the first four that you encounter, with the exception of the major combat ones which aren't puzzles at all
>>
>>384309601
And for what reason, nobody on this website gives a shit what anyone thinks.
You didn't change anyone's opinions on the game, your wall of text was written only to fulfil you insecurities.

That's why you're autistic
>>
>>384310132

He doesn't actually. Bringing up the difficulty of Zelda puzzles was dumb, but BOTW never does anything interesting with its puzzles like older Zelda games do. Like the Poes in the Forest temple of OoT.
>>
>>384309768
>being this immature
I enjoy it, you don't, I'm sorry you don't like it.
>>
>>384310140
>You never encounter a more difficult or expanded version of interesting puzzles like you do in previous titles.
Oh you mean how in the first dungeon you need shoot 1 switch to open a door and then in the last dungeon you need to shoot 5 switches to open a door? Yeah, those were amazing.
>>
>>384310140
You do though just not often. There's one long shrine that requires you to light torches and it slowly builds on this idea with moving water sources that put out one of the torches if you're too slow and a final puzzle where you need to light like 8 torches that all are put out almost immediately after being lit.
>>
>>384310386

No, more like you get an item, and use it in different ways to solve puzzles throughout the dungeon. OoT did it best by having a series of mini dungeons in the final castle that utilizes all the tools you've been gathering throughout your adventure. BOTW has none of that because of the open ended nature of the world. As a result, the castle raid at the end is pretty boring and just more of what you've been doing throughout the game.
>>
>>384310323
>Like the Poes in the Forest temple of OoT.
Literally same exact shit as Korok hunting in BotW.
>>
>>384310552

There are maybe 15 shrines like that out of a total of 120. 10% is not enough to make a case that the shrines couldn't have been done better.
>>
>>384310251
And don't you think that takes some of the fun away? There's no more surprises in a shrine. You know what you're getting. In other games, you could get a heart piece, of an inventory upgrade, or some other useful side item.

This game tells you pretty much everything you're going to get. You already know what the champion abilities are going to be before you get them too
>>
>>384310578
>No, more like you get an item, and use it in different ways to solve puzzles throughout the dungeon
And is this supposed to be a good thing or something? Have you been living under a rock? This was one of the main criticism of all Zelda games since OoT and why BotW exists.
>>
>>384310312
you don't speak for anyone else you underage ESL fuck

I pointed out that the image glorifies the game far beyond what it actually is. at least two people agreed with me
>>
File: 1490401911342.jpg (12KB, 277x284px) Image search: [Google]
1490401911342.jpg
12KB, 277x284px
>>384310641
I hope you're not serious.
>>
File: BotW zelda.jpg (110KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
BotW zelda.jpg
110KB, 700x913px
>>384304145
I love this image, I'm going to get a LOT of millage out of it this year at the VGAs

I don't own a switch and haven't played BotW
>>
>>384310339
>I enjoy solving the same puzzle over and over again, but you're immature and people should listen to MY opinion
Good going. Not to mention you never said why they're good.
>>
>>384310895
Prove me wrong then.
>>
>>384299440
/v/ only enjoys tw3 because of the naked women
>>
>>384310821
The main criticism was that you hardly use it again outside the dungeon, some items more than others. If you get the bow in a dungeon you'll be using it for fucking forever. They just needed to make all items useful. Giving you all items at the start is the opposite extreme, even if they are all useful to a degree

(though cryonis is pretty shit)
>>
>>384310821

The problem people had with it was that dungeons are all based around a single item. I never said it couldn't be done better, just that the expanded puzzles you see in previous titles is nowhere to be found in BOTW. If dungeons utilized all your tools for the puzzles within them nobody would be complaining about shit and ever Zelda would be considered masterpieces like OoT. The primary complaint was that there was no reason for tools to be completely forgotten once the dungeon they are used in is completed.
>>
>>384310821
>This was one of the main criticism of all Zelda games since OoT and why BotW exists.
This is shit that's existed since the very first Zelda game and whenever people criticized it, I assumed they don't actually like Zelda games. Which is funny, because I tend to hear a lot of people say they never liked Zelda games but they liked BotW.
>>
>>384310939

>I enjoy 'action' the same 'object' over and over again

That's the root of nearly every interest or hobby a person can have anon.
>>
>>384310738
The only rewards you could get outside of dungeons in previous games where either heart pieces, a bunch of rupees or a fucking bottle. Then you have dungeons in which it becomes really fucking obvious the second you step through the door what item you're going to get. What surprises are you even talking about?
>>
>>384311230
>Then you have dungeons in which it becomes really fucking obvious the second you step through the door what item you're going to get.
Except when the item literally didn't exist in any previous zelda game. And even if it did, you know because you played it
>>
>>384310823
learn when to be quiet, bud.
have one last (You)
>>
Breath of the Wild isn't even better than Okami
>>
>>384311454
you never made an argument. don't try to argue again until you learn how to

learn how to spell divine too, if that's your image. you played the whole fucking game, at least pay attention to the words
>>
>>384311214
If you simplify it enough, yes.
Koroks are just actually the same ten puzzles over and over again without simplifying it.
>>
>>384299440
>Another "my scarce open world is better than your empty open world" thread
Never change /v/
>>
Korok puzzles
>Put the metal block in the right place to match the pattern
>Put the [x] in the hole where there is no [x]
>Shoot a bunch of balloons
>Shoot the 1 hidden balloon
>Shoot a bunch of vases
>Shoot the 1 hidden vase that is in the thick tree trunk
>Get from point A to B fast enough. May require you to have Rivali gale
>Get from point A to B to C to D to E until the white flower appears
>Climb to the top
>Lift the rock
Am I missing any?
>>
>>384299440

It's not empty to me, it's the variety that's lacking. I think a lot of people would be so much more satisfied if the shrines were replaced with just regular mini dungeons that had different themes and music rather than the same Sheikah tech trial shit rooms.

The landscapes are very varied and interesting, and I appreciate that, but the enemies that fill them are all the same. Bokoblins, Lizalfos, Moblins, Lynels, and 4 bosses. Everything else is trash that's hardly a threat after the beginning of the game and they don't rank up.
>>
>>384310738
The shrines still have treasure in them aside from the orbs though. The orbs are just what's guaranteed.

Now I'll hop right onto the blame train here and critique the shrines for not having nearly enough unique treasure in them. Which is a disappointment that takes quite some time to sink in as you realize it is the case.
But cue point. You can find unique armor in shrines that help you climb, deal damage, or resist elements. Or the much more likely scenario, or a good weapon or rare collectible to sell or craft with. And as stated, I'll fully admit that there should have been far more unique treasure to be found than there is, but each shrine is still also guaranteed to have at least one chest inside of them. And you can check whether or not that little treasure chest icon on the map have appeared or not to judge whether or not you've gotten all the treasure or not. And that treasure is still good.
And to be frank, while on this topic I'll actually defend tests of strength. Test of strengths appear to be the target some extra contempt. More so than regular shrines. And I can see where people are coming from with that, I really can. Once inside they aren't exactly surprising or clever or anything like that. I would however want to weigh that up against how they're much more rewarding than regular shrines, what with giving you a quite good set of equipment upon victory. They're actually useful to complete beyond the common rewards to the point where there is actually an incentive to replay some of them after a blood moon. You know what to expect, so they aren't surprising. But that also means that you know what to expect so you can quickly grab the reward.
>>
>>384311919
bomb the rock
melt the ice [by far the worst one]
>>
>>384312140
But I admit that the rewards in shrines could have been handled a lot better. Like more unique treasure as stated. Perhaps variations similar to the ancient weapons dropped by tests of strengths, as in not unique in any way but useful and an extra reward beyond the treasure chests. And so on. But I fully oppose the idea of shrines not being rewarding or you knowing what you're getting for sure.
And even if only some of them had unexpected treasure, that's really more than true for the other games too. You claim that you can find a heart piece, inventory upgrade, or some other useful side item. Correct, I won't deny it. But just like how most shrines in BotW don't have unique treasure, the vast, vast majority if holes and caves in previous games don't give anything but a variation of rupees, arrows, or bombs. If even that.
>>
>>384311580

>Koroks are just actually the same ten puzzles over and over again without simplifying it.

You forgot about the moving sparks you have to chase, diving into the lily circles, picking fruits to even the amount out on trees, and boulder soccer where you have to get a rock between some trees that act as goal posts.
>>
Shrines can definitely be improved. But they're still guaranteed to be rewarding, they still have unique content to them. And I don't really get the rather explicit distaste people have towards them.
>>
>>384312140
>The shrines still have treasure in them aside from the orbs though.
All the treasure is forgettable breakable stuff except the 3 special sets.

One of the sets you already know you're going to get after the first one because it's a labyrinth. One you already know you're going to get after the first because it's a lightning-based area, and also that set is useless if you have the thunder helm. The last one is the climbing gear which is the only good thing because it makes one of the worst parts of the game more bearable.
>>
>>384312329

Meant to quote>>384311919
>>
>>384302262
>>384302262
Fucking this though. People will rightfully shit on other games that have 10 billion useless trinkets for the sake of "adding content", but once you mention BotW's Korok seeds in the same breath, all of a sudden that's considered blasphemy
>>
>korok puzzles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhFzUXFlfg
>>
>>384312528

But anon, it's like 900 puzzles with 15 or 16 variations, they're added for the sake of replayability. So in the case of someone like me who isn't autistic, when I go to play the game again and leave the Great Plateau headed west instead of east, I won't have the same 3 hours of start up I did when I first played the game and headed east.
>>
>>384305798
Not even who you're replying to, but if holding up on your controller for hours at a time to get to where you need to go is so engaging for you, I think there's another game I can recommend for you. It's called Desert Bus and you get rewarded for driving through a vast, empty desert for 8 hours
>>
Can anyone here name a single other game with a chemistry engine so fine-tuned that you can light grass on fire, have that fire kill a wolf, which drops meat, take the meat, proceed to take out wood and drop it on the fire, have it catch alight with a campfire, then let that fire persist and warm up your temperature, then put a piece of meat next to it and have it dynamically change state into a cooked piece of meat that you can eat to recover even more health than it would have normally?

Nice job though, trying to hand wave that and make the game look shit because muh koroks. BotW has a living, breathing world. Its map size is only part of it, more important are the environmental, climate-influenced and chemical interactions that make it come alive. Who the fuck cares if your generic levelling RPG number 502251 has a bigger or more "dense" map (whatever that means)? I doubt you can name a single more in-depth game released in the last 5 years, let alone this year.
>>
>>384307297
>/v/ wants Zelda games to be like SS

Fuck no. Give me more Twilight Princess, if anything. I played through TPHD after coming to the conclusion that I didn't like BotW and I realized TP should really have become the standard for Zelda.

>great story/atmosphere
>huge world to traverse and explore, but never overstays its welcome and keeps you progressing through story segments
>great dungeon designs overall
>NO BREAKABLE WEAPONS HOLY SHIT
>>
>>384312898

I know you're being sarcastic anon, yet I can't help but respond. There's a world of difference between those two experiences, and its name is interactivity.
>>
>>384313290
That meat is gonna be cooked before you get to it.
>>
>>384313290

>all those words to say something as simple as "light a fire and then use the fire to cook meat"

The system has more dynamism and interactivity than basically every game in the same genre, but it's not nearly as amazing as you make it out to be.
>>
>>384313472
WW is better. Twilight meme was lame
>kill 20 insects to proceed
>>
>>384312513
>All the treasure is forgettable breakable stuff
I'd argue that good weapons were still more than welcome.
As were ancient cores, giant or small.
I never even minded money or valuable gems since rupees are actually pretty good in Breath of the Wild. I have no idea why there is no bigger rupee reward bigger than 300 though. That's pretty silly, especially for some of the quests. But I am getting side tracked now.

I'll agree about the 3 special sets however. It is very disappointing. But the notion of how shrines are disappointing because you "You know what you're getting." I'd still oppose. The game (which may actually be a quite dicking move on Nintendo's part I'll admit) easily leads you to believe that there are far more unique treasure than said unique sets. So you always expect to eventually run into some. Until you're incredibly far into the game at the very least.
And why there isn't more unique treasure? No idea. No clue. It's silly to be frank. And it's pretty disappointing when you finally realize there isn't more. But even with that disappointment, I'd still argue that it is very similar to earlier games. The number of unique items you find in holes and caves of previous games are actually not that different. They actually follow a very similar premise by setting a precedent early on so that people keep checking the the holes and caves even though the vast majority of them don't have what they seek. Except in BotW you're at the very least still rewarded even when you "miss" so to speak.

The game is far from perfect, but I really do not see the big issue with Shrines. It's by no means much different from the secrets of previous Zelda games. And in many ways they're an improvement. They're ugly though, visually speaking. They should have had different visual themes or something. But yeah. People shit on Shrines way more than they deserve, and then they draw parallels to other Zelda games that have the issues that they critique BotW for.
>>
>>384299440
Because half of /v/ despises Nintendo with a passion.
>>
>>384313643
Nah you just don't want to admit that an open world game that has two engines at work, at the same time, for both refined physics and a chemistry engine that sets parameters for both elements and weather and their impact on materials and the player and solves complex interactions in real time is a milestone for video games in general.
>>
>>384313643

>The system has more dynamism and interactivity than basically every game in the same genre

Given that it came from a complete outsider to the genre, on their very first try no less? That's no small feat anon, give credit where credit is due.
>>
>>384313860

Again, it's not nearly as amazing as you make it out to be.

>>384313901

It is an amazing feat, but in the end it's actually not terribly interesting. If the mundane suddenly becomes the extraordinary because it's now in video game form, then more power to you I guess. I don't particularly see anything worth praising beyond the technical aspects though.
>>
>>384313656
I actually forgot about WW since I had a longstanding history of bashing TP, in hindsight caused probably by playing it on Wii and getting sick of tacked on waggle. But yes, more Zelda in the style of WW would also be amazing. At least you could collect Rupees, salvage sunken treasure, and maybe find a neat little island with stuff on it, not to mention at the end of the day, it wasn't as tedious getting from Point A to Point B in WW than it is in BotW
>>
>>384308401
>200 hours 100%ing this game you'll never want to play it again
I mean..... that still sounds like a good value
>>
>>384314103
Agreed. I can appreciate BotW from a technical standpoint, but if these complex systems can't provide me with an engaging gameplay experience, what's the point?
>>
>>384314103
>Again, it's not nearly as amazing as you make it out to be.
Name another game that even approaches it on this level then. If it's so easy to do, then why doesn't every game have it? BotW literally has a unique conductivity system in place so metal objects actually react with lightning, and the game dynamically applies weather to different altitudes, boils eggs put in hot water, and endless other things. No other game even approaches implementing a periodic table like this.
>>
>>384314297

I suppose the point is that those complex systems provided a lot of people with an engaging gameplay experience, and using subjective bias to downplay technical significance seems to be a running theme in criticism for BotW.
>>
>>384314217
It makes it forgettable though. I always replay old Zeldas. Not going to replay BotW. The fact that there's actually much less of a real story makes it less replayable too.
>>
>>384314387

Friend, you're getting really excited about things that aren't actually that amazing when it's actually applied to the game. It's an amazing technical feat, and no other game (so far) has systems like it. But it's still just things that are more gimmick than anything else at this point.
>>
>>384314518
Knowing that the game wants you to play it only once killed it for me myself. I love replaying old Zelda games. BotW doesn't have that appeal at all.
>>
>>384314518

>replaying a Zelda game for the story

Excuse me while I go rewatch Jurassic Park for the scientific analysis.
>>
>>384314807
>not replaying Zelda for the story
Just try to tell me you don't feel the suspense while climbing Ganon's tower after doing every dungeon
>>
>>384314518
Same. I could probably talk at length about all the cool things I did in basically every other Zelda game, but if I had to talk about the adventures I had in BotW, it would basically boil down to managing my stamina wheel while vaguely running in a straight line, picking up every fruit, acorn, and mushroom I came across, doing bullshit for Korok seeds, doing incredibly simplistic Shrines for hearts, and getting one shot by even the more simplistic enemies
>>
>>384313717
I didn't use to understand that hate. Then I bought a Wii U for BotW. Waited a couple years for that game to come out only for them to announce it for the Switch and when I finally play it on the Wii U, I'm massively disappointed with the game. I feel played and now I have contempt for the company. Doesn't help when I see people on here saying "BotW is the best Zelda ever!". Just makes me hate the game more.
>>
>>384315006
>tfw I spent several hours spamming static as I ran because it lets you easily see some things that you pick up
why...
>>
>>384314807
What a terrible analogy. People rewatch Jurassic Park all the damn time just like people replay old Zelda games.
>>
>>384305772
botw is just clever enough to be consistently entertaining through it's duration, and even though there's "empty space" moving around is fun as fuck with climbing, shield surfing, horses, paragliding, etc.
>>
>>384314956

Nigga I didn't run through 8 dungeons just to feel the hair on the back of my neck rise. I did it because I love the world of Hyrule in most every incarnation it takes and love running around it.
>>
>>384315292
Great, the next hyrule can just be a flat plane with nothing on it. You'll love it.
>>
>>384315272
Shield surfing is a bad idea outside snow and sand areas. Also in the desert it's basically just a replacement for your horse. It's literally just a way to go downhill in snow, or break your shield anywhere else.
>>
>>384315252

>the analogy
>your head

Of course people rewatch Jurassic Park all the time. But if you do it for the 10 minutes of DNA fancy-talk over the 90 minutes of fucking dinosaurs, you're kind of a faggot.

>>384315436

I love when people leap to logical extremes.
>>
>>384303889
Your wrong because it adopts every formulaic mechanic from the open world genre that has been played the fuck out over the last 17 years.

Its only amazing to nintencuks who have never played any other of these said games because your shit console cant into multiplats.
>>
>>384315618
I don't care whether you call it "story" or something else. The way BotW is laid out means it lacks the progression of other zeldas. You can do almost anything at any point, and after you know everything is there, it makes you feel like there's no point to any of it.

This iteration of hyrule looks good but is pretty lame.
>>
>>384315631
Name a single open world game with a chemistry engine as in-depth as the one present in BotW. Don't forget it has a complex physics engine on top of that too, complete with spells you use to interact with and manipulate it.

Not to mention how smooth the combat is in BotW. Don't make me post those embarrassing webms of Witcher 3 """combat""".
>>
>>384315618
Except the story in Zelda games is similarly as important as having dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate BotW, but without a strong story, a lot of the gameplay feels like tedium and bullshit
>>
File: 1399054472158.jpg (31KB, 513x497px) Image search: [Google]
1399054472158.jpg
31KB, 513x497px
>>384315631

>Hasn't played the great old open-world games like Gothic or Risen
>Refuses to play the new great open-world game BotW
>Clings to such open-world multiplats like Skyrim and GTA IV as if they are the highlight of the genre
>>
>>384315618
>person replays Zelda for the story
>person rewatches Jurassic Park for the story
Your analogy is still shit and my point obviously went over your head.
>>
>>384315860

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. BOTW combat is extremely simple and easily broken once you get the hang of it. Just like W3 oddly enough. Even with the physics stuff. Attacking with physics objects is just as cumbersome as any other game with physics objects, and trying to use lightning or fire is situational at best. You're not gonna be able to make use of all those interactions on top of a snowy mountain.
>>
You feel alone as fuck at all points in BotW. This is an intended feature of the game, if you read the description of the wild armor set. But it's not fun.

>no bro boat
>no cute fairy
>no moaning imp that you're going to furiously masturbate to later
>no portable zora princess
>no portable zora princess descendant
>no town filled with NPCs with full schedules
>no hometown
literally what's the point of even being resurrected?
>>
>>384315531
You can actually surf just fine on tall grass. Especially when it's wet/raining.
It's pretty much just dirt and rocks that will rape your shield.
>>
>>384316050
Risen was much smaller than BotW and much shorter too. If an "open world" game is only going to give me 50 hours of gameplay before I've beaten it and am completely tired of it, it's not doing its job

Also wasn't the final boss of Risen just a ganondorf ripoff? It was a ripoff of some famous boss I know
>>
>>384316341
I didn't know that but I'm not going to play another 100 hours now that I know either
>>
>>384316058

If you aren't going to read any deeper than the post you're first replying to in a reply chain, don't bother. My analogy makes perfect sense in the context of the post I was responding too.

>>384315891

>Except the story in Zelda games is similarly as important as having dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

I don't agree. The story in a Zelda game serves as much purpose as the backstory behind dino-creation does in Jurassic Park. It's nice to know, and it provides context, but ultimately it's just a vehicle to the bulk of the experience, which is not spent pondering DNA splicing or reciting ancient myths in either respective case.

Note I say this as someone who loves the fuck out of Jurassic Park and Zelda.
>>
>>384316303
sorry the game didn't give you an objectified female companion to appease your penis, you sex-driven moron.

it doesn't change that it's the best zelda to date
>>
>>384299440
Sure the TW3 world is shallow (though still many times better than all other open worlds), but it's full of quests and stuff to do
>>
>>384316303
>>no town filled with NPCs with full schedules
except every town has NPCs with full schedules.

>no hometown

Tarrey Town and your house in Hateno. Did you even play the game?
>>
JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING MASSIVE OPEN WORLD GAME WHERE I TRAVEL AROUND WITH A QT WOLF GF IN A FANTASIZED MEDIEVAL EUROPE AND FIND ADVENTURE AT EVERY TURN IN AN EPIC TALE OF MY OWN CRAFTING THAT WILL TAKE ME FIFTY YEARS OF PLAYTIME TO COMPLETE

WHY IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK
>>
>>384316667
>My analogy makes perfect sense in the context of the post I was responding too.
I never said it didn't make sense. I said it was shit and you seem to have some strange problem with somebody replaying a game for it's story.
>>
>>384316895

>why won't anyone make a game perfectly suited to me no questions asked?

Just get 100 million dollars and fund it yourself
>>
>>384316759
Every town has an NPC that goes between day mode and night mode. They have a "schedule" in that they're unavailable because they're sleeping half the time. Do you call that majora's mask level of complexity? Also, I don't think you understand what I mean by hometown. You simply don't have a hometown in BotW, your hometown is a fucking shrine.

Face it, botw is lonely and it's actually supposed to be. It was literally designed that way but it's bad.
>>
>>384316956
I'm not that guy, but are you under the mistaken impression that Zelda actually has a good story with real depth? If so, I feel sorry for you. It has a paper thin story, because that's what Nintendo likes because it's what Miyamoto likes. You should try playing more JRPGs, WRPGs too, just not the shit ones. Then you'll understand why Zelda doesn't really have much of a story.
>>
>>384317090
>why won't the game give me a waifu to travel with?
Sorry the game is not a dating sim anon. You weren't meant to sexualized princess ruto when she was fucking 8 years old or some shit. You were supposed to use her to solve puzzles. Also, if you find midna's imp form sexy, you have issues.
>>
>>384317090
This. The game is designed in a very specific way and I can't really fault Nintendo for it if that was their vision, but the end result is a game that's not that fun to play
>>
>>384317090
Not that guy. But did you mean central town or something instead of home town? Hateno is literally your home town.
Even if you disregard how you buy your own house there. The house is strongly implied to have been Link's house since before the calamity. Link was a resident of Hateno 100 years prior to the beginning of the game. It's Link's home.

Also. NPCs have more complex schedules than night or day. I won't oversell it. But just follow the NPCs of Gerudo Town or something.
>>
>>384317362
>a game that's not fun to play
It's literally the best game of this generation receiving close to perfect scores from every single outlet, and sold better than the switch console itself. And yet somehow it's not fun to play. Okay. You probably still played it for like 50 hours though. Which is much better entertainment value for your money than a movie ticket for example.
>>
>>384316895
Daggerfall. Though you'll have to be the qt wolf gf.
>>
>>384317379
>Link was a resident of Hateno 100 years prior to the beginning of the game. It's Link's home.
Sounds like a fan theory to me. You get no memories that ever imply this.

And let's assume that you're right and you literally did live there. Everyone you ever knew is dead except for the meme pretending to be a little girl. That's not your hometown anymore. You're still alone.
>>
>>384316956

It's not a shit analogy just because you didn't like it anon. It clearly gets across the point that I think if you're replaying Zelda for the story you're replaying it for a stupid reason. Replay Zelda because you like the way a world opens up through gated item progression, or because most other 3D titles can't quite scratches that itch for carefree Medieval mid-fantasy, not because Ganon's speech about the wind in WW moved you. You'll find significantly more moving and impressive pieces of storytelling in a medium that isn't this, and justifying the time investment a Zelda game takes WITH THE GOAL being to see the story you've already seen through to its same conclusion, is retarded to me.

But shit anon if it makes sense to you, then replay it for the story a hundred times. Won't affect me any more than my replaying BotW for it's gameplay will affect you. And what I'm doing probably seems just as retarded to you.
>>
>>384317945
oh so you're one of those "video games can't have good stories, you should read ulysses" people
>>
>>384317816
>Everyone you ever knew is dead except for the meme pretending to be a little girl
you uh, you forgetting someone? maybe, oh i dunno, maybe the girl WHO HAS HER FUCKING NAME ON THE FUCKING BOX YOU DUMB NIGGER.
>>
>>384318224
Yeah, the girl who you can't interact with throughout the whole game. You're alone.

This is like saying Aryll is a companion of yours in Wind Waker even though she spends the entire game either kidnapped or on a pirate ship that is not actually present anywhere.
>>
>>384317945
>literally telling someone how to play and enjoy an open world game
I think you clicked the wrong link, reddit is a different site, and your h3h3 videos are on youtube not here friend.
>>
>>384318326
>uses wind waker for his examples
underage detected
>>
>>384318326
Oh so because you can't directly go and talk to them whenever you please, you no longer "know them" as you said? Weird how your wording just conveniently completely changed there.
>>
>>384318383
>He made a good argument, I better imply he goes to a site and watches a youtube channel both of which I don't like!
What are you even trying to say with this? I'm not the guy you're arguing with by the way. Zelda has a bad story and that's a fact. If you seriously play it for the story you just might be emotionally stunted and maybe you should try reading a book or two.
>>
>>384299440
I could not for the fucking life of me finish Witcher 3. The combat is just so fucking dull, and I really hate how Geralt feels to control. Feels like he's always wading knees deep in a swamp. Witcher sense is also the worst implementation of the system.
>>
>>384318123

Video games can have good stories, but they usually don't. Which makes playing a video game for it's story kind of silly, when books provide much better stories at a far greater abundance. You know what books don't offer though? Reader agency in the same way video games offer player agency, unless you're reading Goosebumps. I can't relate to anyone who would choose to play a video game if their primary interest isn't in playing the video game first and foremost.

>>384318383

Read the post again faggot, I'm talking about the Zelda series not just BotW. If my opinon bothers you that much, take your own advice and go back to your hugbox.
>>
>>384317550
It helps that 1) a new Zelda game is a huge fucking deal and 2) if you bought a Switch either at launch or very close to that launch window, BotW was literally the only game of any worth that would let you enjoy using your new toy with. Also, you can never trust the gaming media to give you honest reviews on Zelda games. If we're going purely by critic reviews, Skyward Sword was also one of the greatest games of all time. It's sadly basically career suicide if you say the newest Zelda is anything less than a glowing masterpiece that will be remembered for all time
>>
>>384318478
Actually no, it isn't. I was going to talk about Zelda in my original post here >>384317816 but I assumed you would be honest enough to admit that Zelda does not account because you don't even see her until right in the end and can't interact with her outside cinematic. It remains to be seen if you're allowed to in the next DLC.

You are supposed to be alone in botw. It's by design. Just read the description of the wild armor set like I said. And that's a bad thing. They went to having an annoying as fuck companion and a fleshed out hometown in SS from having absolutely nothing in BotW.
>>
>>384318815
>They went to having an annoying as fuck companion and a fleshed out hometown in SS from having absolutely nothing in BotW.

And it was 100% the right decision to make.
>>
>>384318693
>If we're going purely by critic reviews, Skyward Sword was also one of the greatest games of all time
Well wasn't it? Pretty much all mainline Zelda games have a place as one of the greatest games of all time. SS gets far too much hate for a game that was better than MM and TP and WW, and arguably worse than OoT, but only definitely worse than BotW which beats out both.
>>
>>384299656
>It has more content and side quests than any other Zelda game.

Who cares if it's just hitting targets in an empty field. It looks like an N64 game.
>>
>>384319008
>It looks like an N64 game.
Troll or you've never played an N64 game.

BotW looks good for what it has to run on.
>>
>>384318894
No, it was too far in the other direction. You shouldn't be alone just because Fi was annoying.
>>
>>384319000
>SS gets far too much hate for a game that was better than MM and TP

absolutely 100% completely wrong
>>
>>384319000

SS was not better than MM, WW or TP. It was not better on release, it is not better now, and it won't be better in a decade. It's hands down the worst 3D Zelda game without question, and I'm tired of people trying to question that fact. The same arguments will come up, the same concessions will be made, and inevitably we'll come back to the stance I've taken above like we have every day since 2011. That's how it's always been anon, and that's how it'll stay.
>>
>>384319353
>It's my way because it is and that's final no arguments allowed.
Wrong. It was simply hyped up too much, everyone though it was going to be a groundbreaking revolution to gaming when really it was just another 3D zelda that was at the level or above the others.
>>
How is this game on cemu? I got it to run perfectly smooth but I could also load it up on the wii u
>>
Name a single better Zelda track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjJ4_0TDXY

Friendly reminder that music is one of the main things that makes Zelda good, and is something that BotW sorely lacks.
>>
>>384319708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR1OKYxKGGQ
Sorry anon. Nice try. Though I won't debate that botw music is shit.
>>
>>384319523

It's my way because the game hasn't changed anymore than the arguments to its defense have since 2011. If you really want to try again go for it, but I've spent time enough in Zelda threads to know exactly how any 'debate' over SS inevitably goes.
>>
>>384319523
Not even close.

The world was far more barren than any previous Zelda (the sky is laughably pathetic), there's no day/night cycle, the areas aren't interconnected, and the entire game is comprised of a forest, volcano and desert, far less variety than usual.
Not to mention the insane amount of handholding and tedium, like fighting the same boss 6 times if you want to get the hylian shield.
>>
>>384318815
I wasn't the original dipshit you were arguing with, I just wanted to call you a dumb nigger is all.
Have a great day.
>>
>>384317816
>Sounds like a fan theory to me. You get no memories that ever imply this.
If you talk with Karson before you agree with Bolson to buy the house. And you ask Karson what he is doing, he says
>This old house here has been abandoned. Everyone in Hateno Village agreed we should demolish it.
>The old owner apparently went off to the castle to report for service. Never came back, never wrote, so away it goes!
>>
>>384320542
>Hateno residents cared so little about you they never knew your fate and only just decided to demolish your house 100 years later
Link must feel loved
>>
>>384317816
Rima remembers Link. Link doesn't remember Rima though.
And don't ask me how Rima was even alive though. She'd be as old as Impa. Though perhaps the Gerudo live just as long.
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.