[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this worth picking up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: Final_Fantasy_XII_Box_Art.png (66KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XII_Box_Art.png
66KB, 250x333px
is this worth picking up?
>>
If you like star wars and you like JRPGs yeah
>>
it's the GOTY
>>
File: 1481773959383.gif (54KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1481773959383.gif
54KB, 350x263px
>log onto Normiebook
>see friend's post about trying to decide if he should get FFXII Remaster
>tell him that it emulates well, so he could try it for free before deciding to buy
>some Sony fanboy starts shitposting about Remaster running at higher resolutions than PC and tries to start console war
>friend takes the bait and they start arguing about shit they both know very little about
Why can't people just enjoy shit?
>>
Its pretty solid, though if you hate politics then you might not like it
>>
>>384255978
if you like the game forcing you to stop moving for a second every time you enter and exit combat mode then go for it
>>
>>384255978
It's fucking great.
>>
File: 1fb.png (340KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
1fb.png
340KB, 600x583px
>>384257787
DELETE NORMIEBOOK NOW
>>
>>384258001

I, too, hate every single Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>384258048
>soundtrack
>skills system
>GF system
>level design
>story
>hunting quests adding hours of gameplay

10/10
>>
Not at the current price where I am. It's the price of an actual new AAA game, $60-$70.
>>
>>384258241
It's really weird how the price isn't really set. Here in France it's 50 euro but I ordered it from the uk for 30.
>>
>>384259728

It's weird yeah. I walked into a local Aussie store to see at at $69 and laughed,
>>
It's been my greatest pleasure the past few days to watch FFXII streams and look for the exact moment where people's opinions change from "wow, I didn't give this a fair chance when I was younger, this is great" to "oh, that's why I hated this" over and over again.
>>
Its totally worth it. I didn't play it much when I was younger, but its really fun and I feel kind of silly for trading it in when I did. The combat isn't for everyone though, but the gambit system is incredibly unique, you can set the a.i to do certain acts at specific times and make them autopilot(Ally: 50% health/ cast cure) or you can make them do the bare minimum while you do all of the healing/buffing.debuffing stuff yourself.
>>
File: 1497852782101.png (497KB, 565x564px) Image search: [Google]
1497852782101.png
497KB, 565x564px
>>384258110
I would, but that's where I keep in contact with my older relatives and some of my high school friends.
>>
Why did they fuck up FFXII?

I thought they remove the loading screens, improve the graphic, and redesign everything into a huge sandbox MMO world.

What they did:
Higher resolution with some minor fixes

WHY even bother?
>>
>>384262551
Why would you expect something so outlandish from a remaster of XII? That's like getting mad that they didn't make it an action rpg. Its not a remake.
>>
The Zodiac Age version really does make this game the most enjoyable I've played since IX.
It's amazing being able to say Final Fantasy feels good playing again.
>>
>>384255978
yes, absolutely. but wait for the remake.
if you can't wait. get the IZJS-patch + english mod for the game and enjoy yourself.
>>
Is it just me or the chest at the raithwalls tomb only gives a scathe mote ?
>>
>>384255978
FF15 wishes it could be as good as this game, so yes
>>
File: Gen Z nicknames.jpg (110KB, 813x545px) Image search: [Google]
Gen Z nicknames.jpg
110KB, 813x545px
>>384258001
>>384258145
>>
>>384261594
what I love is just that FFXII is basically D&D: FF edition.

I always wanted a balanced mix between NWN and FF but still with heavy story focus and customizable protag and all + Bangaa and Moogle classes to party up with.
>>
I've been looking at these possible job combinations and something tells me the devs didn't really think through this. Some kids on gamefaqs have put up a guide on some job combinations but I'm having a hard thinking of something not broken.
>>
>>384261825
>what is phone
>what is email

Jewbook fucking sucks, you cuck.
>>
Is there a way to get the effects of multiclassing on emulated IZJS?
>>
>>384264514
word is that magic is all shit and that you should go full BALS TO THE WALL.

so warrior classes make the most sense.
I found magic to be terribly inaccessible and lacking.
>>
>>384264707
I don't think so, no.
it's a bad idea anyway. even in the normal version if you stray too far and spread your skillset too wide and too basic, you can't progress anymore without literally dying all the time. the Dr. Cid fight was the breaking point for me and I had to start over. this time with IZJS so I can't fuck it up.
>>
>>384264742
Oh. I'm running two mages and they've been wrecking shit without a worry. This game is really generous with MP regen too so I might as well take advantage of that.
>>
How's the vanilla ps2 version? I can't emulate and I don't have a modern console.
>>
>>384265143
It's alright, but you're missing out a bit by not playing IZJS.
All characters end up the same, and I can't imagine playing XII without a fast-forward button now.
>>
>>384265143
you dont get a fast forward button
grinding is more boring
and every character ends up the same because no jobs
>>
>>384265143
Can't you just do an HDD mod?
No FMCB memory card needed, only an old HDD& USB cables and the PS2 adapter.
>>
>>384264742
Magic is a lot better due to the removal of the effect limiter. I think there are also more magic lore and MP tiles this time around so you can spam scathe/ardor to your hearts content.
>>
>>384261825
this is the excuse everyone uses

there are other options you know, like get their fuckin phone numbers and text them or email them
>>
>>384265454
Everytime I looked into this, it stated that the USB on the PS2 isn't fast enough to run an HDD properly.
>>
are the characters any good in this one?
>>
>>384265926
Took a while but they grew on me. Especially Vaan who starts out really unlikable.
>>
>>384265926
I'm 24 hours in and they're all pretty alright, except Penelo, I'm indifferent towards her. People hate on Vann, but he has his moments.
>>
>>384266223
>Especially Vaan who starts out really unlikable.

That's good to hear. I've heard nothing but bad things about him.
>>
>>384255978

In it's original form, sure. The Zodiac Job System (and the remaster) are trash. Ignore the extensive shill threads on /v/. Every new release gets shilled for weeks at at time here.
>>
>>384266853
this

everyone should be able to have every weapon
>>
>>384255978

You group gets pretty insane if you build them right even compared to the original.
Enemies are still the same so you end up tearing through everything as you play it, bosses die in seconds.
>>
Stay away from the remaster. It doesn't "fix" anything, it's just a poorly upscaled hackjob that forces you to use classes instead of being able to move freely around the license board.

You can grab a used PS2 for USD $30 or less, and it shouldn't be hard to find a copy of the PS2 version of the game. You could also try emulating it if you're that cheap, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of current PS2 emulators.
>>
>>384265831
>>384265831
Running game from USB isn't fast enough, hence why you need a HDD.
Loading from USB gives you 10x loading.
Loading from HDD gives you 0.1x loading.
Compatibility isn't top-notch, some stuttering or missing effects on a game to game basis, but it beats burning all your games to DVD-R.
In FFXII's case, there's stuttering during the opening FMV.(but there's a fix somewhere)
Everything else runs perfectly; there's basically no load time whatsoever.
>>
No reason to buy it again just for so-called HD and enforced restrictions on how you spend licence points unless you don't have a computer that can emulate ps2
>>
>tfw forgot to buy blizzard

Could make my life a lot easier. Now I'm about to fight the mimic queen, and it may be harder than it should because of it.
>>
>>384264514
I just started playing, if I just ignored getting the second board and just played with my starter class would I be gimped? I know myself too well and when I have the chance to min max like with multiple classes I always go full autismo, but I want to enjoy this game and not cheese it. People are also telling me Machinist is bad, is that true? It looks pretty fun to me.
>>
File: Numa Nu-Male.gif (2MB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
Numa Nu-Male.gif
2MB, 270x320px
>the new port's any% speedrun has dropped from 8 hours to 4 but long time ps2 runners refuse to upgrade because they think the 2x and 4x speed options are cheating
>>
>>384269470
No, you won't be gimped. The game almost breaks the balance itself when you're not looking.
>>
>>384268586
Don't worry about her man, she's not that hard. I had a Monk, Uhlan, and Machinist, and I did fine. Or a Knight instead of the Machinist, whatever, the point is that its not a big deal.
>>
How much bullshit RNG is there when it comes to drops? That will determine whether I buy it now or just wait for it to come out on PC so I can Cheat Engine my way through stupid drop farming.
>>
How viable is it for me to do a barehanded monk run? I've gotten about to go to the mountain and I have Vaan as a shikari/monk with brawler and a bunch of attack lores. I just love going barehanded. Does the attack at least keep up with daggers?

>>384268586
I had a Shikari, Machinist, and an Archer. Mimic Queen is a joke.
>>
>>384270128
>>384270546

Yup, finished her in 1 minute. BM Fran was hitting 130 with fire.
I keep getting flashbacks of my first run, that's why.
>>
>>384269570
I thought if it was a third party program than it counts as cheating? If it's in the game than it's fine right? So what are they bitching about?
>>
>>384270545
Lots of rng in thsi game but for some reason drops are separate from the rest and uses a different method. Most of the guides online are to do with chests and finding all the top weapons like the Zodiac Spear.
>>
>>384270925
Yeah my first run of this game was terrible. I was a dumb teenager in high school and I wasn't that good at atb rpgs at the time. I surprised I got to the final dungeon. I do remember making everyone a distinct class even on the original version though.
>>
>>384270545
Enemy drops aren't bad if you know to chain them for an increased chance of the drop and to buy the hunter guides.
>>
File: dende.jpg (63KB, 375x455px) Image search: [Google]
dende.jpg
63KB, 375x455px
>>384271052
there's a speedrunner live right now doing "order of ambrosia %"
his personal best time is 24+ hours
i mentioned how much time he could save with the upgrade and he called me a casual
>>
>>384271091
>>384271304
Alright, screw it, maybe for once the RNG gods won't defy the laws of statistics just to piss me off.
>>
>>384271383
Like fuck he did
>>
>>384271626
he did
>>
>>384255978
No, not really. Not unless you're super into Political thrillers with science-magic. The game has a great combat system that's ruined by everything else, such as the license board being the most poorly thought out exercise since before AND after the classes, along with the game having permanently missable high-end content for literally no decent reason hidden behind archaic game design ideas that only exist to sell guides and nothing more, as well as the game continually asking you to make permanent decisions at points in the game far, FAR too early to realize if these decisions are good or not.

A lot of the defenders will come on here and say "nooo, it's not THAT bad, it like, totally barely makes a difference" while they discuss best builds which all rely on those builds having the same equipment which are hidden behind guides.

That, and the story parallels star wars to a point where you almost think that Vaan is going to get taught how to use the force at some point, and yet it's nowhere near as good thanks to marketing meddling.

Overall, it's about a D+ game.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.