[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leave FPS to us.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: 2017fps.png (932KB, 917x731px) Image search: [Google]
2017fps.png
932KB, 917x731px
Leave FPS to us.
>>
what is the bottom one?
>>
>>384251089
Ion Maiden
>>
>>384251089
Ion Maiden, it is or maybe was the bombshell prequel game
>>
>>384250965
Aren't these roguelikes? What makes them not destined to fail like Strafe did?
>>
>>384250965
Overload make me want to overload!
>>
>>384251481
>Aren't these roguelikes?
No.
>>
Dont forget Gibhard
>>
>look on youtube for ''Iron Maiden FPS game''
>get no results

Was it recently announced?
>>
>>384250965
>Muh retro visuals
Great meme, call me back when it's a team that actually wants the genre to move forward instead of retards stuck with a simplistic vision of the past.
>>
>>384251329
>or maybe was the bombshell prequel game
Yeah, I believe it was worked into something more original due to a combination of Bombshell flopping and Interceptor not holding all of the rights to the character anymore for some reason.
>>384251481
>Aren't these roguelikes?
Dusk and Iron Maiden aren't. The former is trying to be like Quake 1 and the latter is trying to follow in the steps of previous Build engine games.
>>
>>384251945
Sweet, I'll check them out.
>>
>>384251874
Nah, it's just been quietly worked on by members of the Duke 3D community for a few years now. Apparently it's going to get a proper announcement soon.
>>
>>384251934
>muh graphics

You are the reason games are so shit now.
>>
>>384251481
>>384251860
this one is a """roguelike""" looks alright though, much better than strafe
>>384251874
It has been around for a while but the name was only announced recently, there are just a bunch of screenshots on their twitter page https://twitter.com/voidpnt and probably duke4.net forums
>>
File: 4-Pyro.png (55KB, 327x162px) Image search: [Google]
4-Pyro.png
55KB, 327x162px
>>384251481
Overload is a Descent-like made by the Descent devs and i really want it to be good
>>
>>384251481
Dusk has levels, I'm assuming the other two do as well.

Also unsure why Dusk has been catching so much hate, it looks like a solid fairly fast movement based FPS game.
>>
>>384252396
Because Strafe released and it wasn't very good.
>>
>Doom/Quake modding is still a thing
>Falling for blatant nostalgia cashgrabs
>>
>>384252491
They look nothing alike though, Dusk has levels and an actual list of weapons already shown, Strafe didn't.

>>384251860
I love the game's art style, but damn if I'm not skeptical about it.
>>
>>384252614
They can co-exist. New mechanics and assets are worth money.
>>
>>384252064
There is literally no reason to have shitty graphics other than nostalgia appeal, when the classics came out theye didn't have shitty graphics at all. You can have good level design and good gunplay which is what makes a shooter great without the need of shitty retro graphics.
>>
>>384252614
>no! no one one ever make classic FPS style games, I'm poor and just want free half assed mods!
literally kys
>>
>>384252491
This, also with the Doom modding community being so active the past few years, people are starting to realize that there's no reason to waste money on a "retro" fps when you could just boot up a custom doom megawad with one of the countless gameplay mods available and get the same amount of enjoyment for free.
>>
>>384252813
Doomwads kind of have their limitations, even a lot of the big ones don't come with their own custom maps.

It's kind of retarded to say "why buy a new game when I can play Doom mods forever?".
>>
>>384252813
Or the problem is that Strafe is a roguelike.
>>
>>384253621
>It's kind of retarded to say "why buy a new game when I can play Doom mods forever?".

Not really when a game hardly offers barely anything to be considered as something new.
>>
File: 92671-Blood_(1997)(Monolith)-7.jpg (39KB, 640x769px) Image search: [Google]
92671-Blood_(1997)(Monolith)-7.jpg
39KB, 640x769px
>>384250965
Good luck surpassing this.
>>
Dusk looks cool but the devs are absolute faggots on their Twitters.
>>
>>384254675
Controls already surpass it
>>
>>384254605
It can offer better physics and layered maps. Doom engine has limitations, and anything involving veticality or melee in it just feels bad.
>>
>>384254719
Why?
>>
>>384252708
>You can have good level design and good gunplay which is what makes a shooter great without the need of shitty retro graphics.
You can have good level design and good gunplay which is what makes a shooter great with shitty retro graphics.
Which leaves you still with a good shooter.
>>
>>384252708
>>384254894
>tfw low poly games with stylish designs and great textures are rare as hell

I hate it. Redout looks great and I didn't even know it was a low poly game until actually playing it. You can get creative as fuck with low poly models and make them look great, but for some reason people always pair them with ugly, muddy low res textures because "muh retro".
>>
>>384250965
Can anyone link me a download for DUSK, I JUST CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE TO DOWNLOAD, I KNOW ITS A DEMO
>>
>>384254719
>Gibhard
yup they are, you cant even play their games. dusk demo is nowhere to be found, they dont want you to play it, it will fail this way
>>
>>384255710
Not such a fan of retrographics in general if they bank too hard on the quirk without quality but don't mind them.
Low-poly gritty/grimy textures are my fetish though. Whenever i see it and it has sort of decent animations i'm down.
>>
>>384253621
>It's kind of retarded to say "why buy a new game when I can play Doom mods forever?".
It really isn't when most modern "retro" fps don't actually offer anything new and instead pride themselves on trying to offer the same experience as Doom or Quake.
>>
>>384253621
No, that makes a lot of sense actually
>>
>>384254862
>It can offer better physics and layered maps.
Yeah, keyword being "can", but it's not like most developers trying to play the retro angle have actually followed through on evolving the classic fps style. All they do is spit out shallow copies of whatever game they're trying to replicate, and that point why even bother? From a consumer standpoint I might as well just save my money and spend my time playing doom or a doom-based mod.
>>
>>384258000
>>384258270
why did you buy shadow warrior and blood when you could just play duke?
>>
>>384258451
Those were current games, and blood especially changed up the combat formula

There will never be a retro based fps game to come out in the future with gameplay more varied or less more well designed than what currently exists in cacoward winning wads
>>
>>384258451
Because both Blood and Shadow Warrior featured notable improvements from a technical standpoint that weren't present in their respective predecessor. Plus each game aimed to provide their own experience rather than just aping something that was popular twenty years beforehand.

SW and Blood actually evolved the genre and raised expectations. Games like Strafe do not.
>>
>>384258565
>There will never be a retro based fps game to come out in the future with gameplay more varied or less more well designed than what currently exists in cacoward winning wads

What if these mod makers come together to make their own game?

Really, you guys are just pointlessly negative, and your entire argument is just "um these mods might possible be better and they're free so I have no reason to spend 15 bucks on a new game".

You could seriously use this argument to justify only ever buy 3 games and only moding and playing those games endlessly, but that'd be rather pathetic.

>>384259093
Well yeah, no one's defending Strafe.
>>
>>384259421
>pointlessly negative
No, there's a point to the negativity. If somebody makes a retro fps with fun new gameplay and great new levels then they will. Unfortunately, they won't. I'm right until proven wrong, get the fuck out of here with your unwarranted optimism and naivety
>>
>>384259421
>your entire argument is just "um these mods might possible be better and they're free so I have no reason to spend 15 bucks on a new game".
And this is a bad argument because?
>>
File: 1453811874929.jpg (171KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1453811874929.jpg
171KB, 640x640px
>>384259637
Okay. Enjoy your Doom mods with samey feeling weapons and mediocre at best level design.
>>
>>384259421
>What if these mod makers come together to make their own game?
Then I would hope they would develop something that could stand its own ground, rather than just remind everyone that Doom was a game that existed for the umpteenth time.

Although most mod makers would likely never do this because they know there's more freedom in making a doom mod than trying to develop a commercial product that needs to be successful if you're not looking to waste your time and money being an indie dev.
>>
>>384259819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c
Okay.
>>
>>384259819
>Doom mods
>samey feeling weapons
>mediocre at best level design
Goodness, you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? You really think the modding community has just been producing the same shit over and over for the past two decades?

Whatever. I'm probably just arguing with an underage who feels like he needs to justify his needless purchases anyway.
>>
>>384259819
I'll enjoy my doom wads with extremely varied gameplay design and endless 9/10 levels thank you very much
>>
>>384260349
I've played this mod. First person melee combat already feels meh at best, and feels even worse in the Doom engine. If they made their own 3D engine and then gave players the option to switch between first and third person I would have gladly payed some solid cash for this game.

You're just constantly trying to guess how far your sword reaches since the 2D model is misleading, and seeing enemies take damage outside of your sword range feels bad.

>>384260569
>extremely varied
>only has shooters.
>>
>>384261330
>only has shooters
Also shumps, first person brawlers, walking simulators, RPGs, even some adventure game...
>>
They misspelled Id
>>
>>384261330
Explaining how every doom mod is still an fps (which is wrong, but that doesn't matter) doesn't explain how they're not varied. Earlier you made the argument that SW and blood were varied enough from Duke to warrant being purchased as separate games. Doom mods change the shooting gameplay even more so than those two games did for Duke. Check out gmota, d4d, brutal doom, wolfenstein blade of agony, and metadoom. All extremely different gameplay philosophies. All run on gzdoom.
>>
killer instinct sucks
>>
>>384262021
My only real argument is it's dumb to only play mods over anything that requires money because they mods are free. Why not play both?

but whatever, it's always best to just wait until shit comes out and see the general reaction to it, or just pirate it and decide if it's worth buying later.
>>
http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/657#.WWzqLr7unb0
Nocturne in Yellow. A game made by a Doom mod maker, the guy who made the Metroid mod and Demonsteele. It uses the Doom engine but it's its own thing.
>>
I actually like Strafe despite its flaws
>>
>>384254675
>what is BloodGDX
Educate yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qtN93fv3k
>>
>>384263379
Is this the best way to play Blood? I just want to go through the game with good mouse support.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.