[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are metroid games overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: 393183811.png (99KB, 1072x660px) Image search: [Google]
393183811.png
99KB, 1072x660px
are metroid games overrated?
>>
FRAME

PERFECT

SPACE

JUMPS
>>
only played Fusion and Prime so far, preferred Fusion because of how tight and great the gameplay feels
probably not OP
>>
>Is X thing liked in general more than you like it?
What a dumb question
>>
Yes that's why they never sell well.
>>
>>384232584
AM2R and Zero Mission are closest to Fusion, play them next.
>>
>>384232418
Finished Prime 1 3 days ago. My favourite game so far that I've played
>>
I don't think Metroid is overrated, per se. However, I would argue that the Metroid formula is pretty overrated. I'm a simple man. I enjoy more linear, but challenging, platformers.
>>
>>384232676
Super and Prime sold like fucking hotcakes.

It's just they've not really done well past those games.
>>
File: 1422167975178.jpg (290KB, 709x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1422167975178.jpg
290KB, 709x1001px
I played Super Metroid recently.
Graphics were spectacular and the gameplay is really tight, but it was overly difficult and obtuse in some of its level design. It was alright, wouldn't play it again and I sure as fuck wouldn't speedrun it.

Will probably play the Prime Trilogy at some point but I wasn't overly "wowed" by the apparent best of the 2D ones.
>>
by /v/, yes, though it was probably just an excuse to shit on nintendo. /v/ is always looking for those
there were two decent games (super metroid, metroid fusion, samus returns actually looks like it might be a third). it was like star fox before zero was announced, except metroid actually had a good game
also metroidfags are one of the worst vidya fanbases ive seen, their pessimism and hate of vidya nearly surpasses soulsfags
>>
>>384232874
2D > 3D
Prime is very good but backtracking and platforming doesn't translate to 3D well
>>
>>384232842
Compared to other metroids it sold well, compared to other games that have sold really well? It's nothing.
>>
>>384232874
>obtuse in some of its level design

Super Metroid is the closest thing to "perfect design" in video games.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/90903/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php
>>
>>384232693
ZM is half the difficulty of Fusion with even more hand holding. AM2R is the best to follow up Fusion with. Then Super.
>>
underrated actually, metroid on average is better than zelda but gets far less exposure
>>
>>384233337
>metroid on average is better than zelda
It's not hard when you've had 6 duds in a row.
>>
The series popularity coincides with the widespread knowledge that Samus is some blonde bimbo.

Coincidence?
>>
>>384233840
prime is the highest selling metroid game prior to modern ZSS design
>>
>>384233337
Wrong. The best Zelda games (ALttP, LA, MM, WW, TP, ALBW, BotW) are far better than the best Metroid games (SM, MP, ZM, MP2)
>>
>>384232874
>I sure as fuck wouldn't speedrun it.

Your loss, it's super fun to speedrun and it's relatively easy in comparison to a lot of other games
>>
>>384233992
>WW, TP, LA better than SM, MP, and MP2

I'll accept the rest as opinions but this is retardation
>>
i dont think games that create a genre are overrated
>>
>>384232418
2D Metroid games, no
Prime games, yes
>>
File: metroid.jpg (84KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
metroid.jpg
84KB, 500x375px
Prime 1 is overrated imo. Combat is easily the game's weakest point because none of the enemies pose any sort of threat unless you just ignore them. Because the game takes place in first person and has you shooting objects to do literally everything include open fucking doors because that's how everyone opens doors where I'm from, it can safely be called an FPS even in spite of "but muh exploration/immersion."

Therefore it is my opinion that Prime 1 didn't age well in this regard. Shooting things in first person isn't a fun thing to do in Prime 1. That's a pretty big issue. Also, scanning things and reading about random shit, albeit somewhat interesting, which took place when I wasn't around isn't in and of itself an interesting thing to be doing. Scanning is a huge part of the game but once again, it's just not a fun thing to do.

I can only surmise that people hail this game the way that they do because nostalgia.

So exploration; is it fun? It's the main course, right?

>>Oh look, this door is closed... but there's another door over here, which isn't closed! Oh look, an item. Maybe I can use this item to go through that one door that was closed to me earlier.

>>9999 doors later

Oh look, an item, time to comb through every area and see if it opens up a new path for me

This would be fine if the areas themselves were actually interesting to explore they're not

All the boredom of backtracking is exacerbated by the 3D nature of the game which is particularly terrible if you're playing with a Wii Remote.

Pointing a remote at a screen is only OK if done to change the fucking channel. It's exhausting to hold it for minutes, let alone hours.

Just one person's opinion on the matter.

So yeah, overrated but that's just one person's opinion.
>>
>>384232418
Metroid games themselves are great but they only work because a lot of thought goes into the level design. Most people don't even realise what makes a good Metroid game so most "Metroidvanias" end up being mediocre or bad.
>>
>>384236901
>Pointing a remote at a screen is only OK if done to change the fucking channel. It's exhausting to hold it for minutes, let alone hours.
The controls in the Wii version are fine, if anything they are too good and make the game too easy. You can rest your arm on your lap while pointing it at the screen, you never have to constantly hold your arm up unless your TV is in an awkward position. The only thing I'd complain about in the Wii version (in regards to the controls) is that switching visors/beams can be annoying.

Although I agree with most of what you said. The game is incredibly sluggish until you get the space jump boots, then it gets better for a while, then it gets dull again when you have to get the Gravity Suit.
>>
>>384237303
You are certainly right in that there are ways to circumvent the uncomfortable nature of aiming with the Wii Remote. Also, I do agree that switching visors/beams can be annoying.
>>
>>384232418
the GBA ones are
>>
>>384233004
Super bombing the glass tube still strikes me as a little obtuse.
>>
>>384232418
Not all of them, just Super
>>
>>384237605
The only issue I have with the glass tube is that there's a delay between setting a power bomb and the glass breaking. So it's ppossible for someone to use a power bomb, think it does nothing and leave the room. Otherwise it's fine, the player is shown a broken tube a few rooms away from the one you need to break and by making it obscure, they prevent new players from wandering into Maridia without the Gravity Suit.
>>
Yes. The combat sucks.
>>
File: Super Metroid.jpg (443KB, 1600x1127px) Image search: [Google]
Super Metroid.jpg
443KB, 1600x1127px
>>384237016
This, completely. I can't think of any Metroidvania with better level design than Super.
>>
>are metroid games overrated?
Genre defining games never are.
>>
File: 1474243129283.png (15KB, 183x239px) Image search: [Google]
1474243129283.png
15KB, 183x239px
>>384232874
>super metroid
>difficulty
>any metroid game
>but the original
>difficult
>>
>>384239167
>>384237016
NintendoCaprisun made a good video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLMW4Y6zho
>>
>>384239247
Final Fantasy 1 was genre defining but doesn't really hold up.
>>
>>384239285
>open video
>neckbeard voice
>close video
>>
>>384239289
The majority of people haven't even played FF1, and those that do don't even put it in the top 5 of the franchise.
>>
File: [laughter stops].jpg (59KB, 500x539px) Image search: [Google]
[laughter stops].jpg
59KB, 500x539px
>>384239285
>Many areas in the game would go on to become places that I would pretend to go as I slept at night
Fuck me I know that feeling.
>>
>>384239384
shuper meshtroid
>>
>>384232874
The 3D games are completely different for obvious reasons, you may like them more
>>
>Sell worse than Kirby, Yoshi, FE
>autist fanbase is the worst Nintendo subfanbase, even worse than Smash
>Samus Returns will be the most pirated 3DS game of all time
>>
File: 1478038157428.jpg (5KB, 161x175px) Image search: [Google]
1478038157428.jpg
5KB, 161x175px
There's only one thing I don't like about Metroid and that's how padding-y the backtracking can get, especially when Norfair is involved

Super Metroid
>enter Norfair to get the high jump
>exit Norfair to get the Varia Suit
>enter Norfair to get the Speed Booster and Ice Beam
>exit Norfair to get the Power Bombs
>enter Norfair to get the Grappling Beam
>exit Norfair to go to the Wrecked Ship

Zero Mission
>enter Norfair
>exit Norfair to get the Power Grip
>enter Norfair to get the Ice Beam
>exit Norfair to get the Varia Suit
>enter Norfair to get the High Jump
>exit Norfair to get the Speed Booster
>enter Norfair to get to Ridley

at some point it stops being exploration and starts being tedious

shout-out to Metroid Prime, in which after getting the Boost Ball you have to go all the way back to the starting room of the game to get the Space Jump Boots, then go all the way back to where you were to go get the Wave Beam
>>
>>384241251
That bit bothers me because every other part of the game is pretty straight forward.

>Norfair to the Wrecked Ship
>Wrecked ship to Draygon
>Return to Deep Norfair
>Go directly to Tourian

But at the 1/3 part you have one big bactracking party through Norfair/Brinstar (You might have needed to even go back to Crateria) like 2 times just so you can find and kill one miniboss.
>>
>>384241251
This is what sequence breaking is for my nigger.
>>
>>384241251
Fucking what you just simplified the whole game you turd. You fight Kraid to get the varia suit. You fight Crocomire, You go through obstacles n' shit. Same logic for Zero Mission jesus christ.

In Prime you can take the elevator that takes you directly to Tallon IV, which is a new part of Tallon IV by that point. Man fuck you and your deliberate misrepresentation of these games.
>>
>>384241251
>shout-out to Metroid Prime, in which after getting the Boost Ball you have to go all the way back to the starting room of the game to get the Space Jump Boots, then go all the way back to where you were to go get the Wave Beam
You can take a new, shorter route to return to Tallon Overworld and conveniently pick up several powerups (including one of the endgame artifacts) on the way.
only scrubs don't get Space Jump first btw
>>
>>384242124
calm down you're going to have an autistic heart attack
>>
File: Best_West_Samus.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
Best_West_Samus.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>384242804
Nah I'm good n' you baby?
>>
>>384232418
shit thread
mods, plz delet
>>
whats compelling about metroidvanias? killing enemies doesnt feel important because they just reappear when you need to backtrack. exploring isnt fun its just tedious. "make sure you dont miss this one slightly different looking tile or your gonna be stuck for an hour" isnt good design. also metroidvanias, despite how big the maps can be, are basically linear. how many people are sequence breaking their first go around? probably none
>>
Only the prime series is overrated.
>>
>>384246896
Get out Dobson/ACfag/GBAbby
>>
Are short clickbait questions overated?
>>
>>384246496
>killing enemies doesnt feel important because they just reappear when you need to backtrack
Agreed.
>exploring isnt fun its just tedious
This is actually on you for failing to be interested in the game.
>make sure you dont miss this one slightly different looking tile or your gonna be stuck for an hour
I can guarantee with absolute certainty this has never happened to anyone playing a metroid game or metroidvania except in the case of a romhack or La Mulana.
> also metroidvanias, despite how big the maps can be, are basically linear
Agreed, but what is wrong with being linear? I will say that people overblow how non-linear SM is.
>how many people are sequence breaking their first go around?
Replay value. And the fact that they are there and can be discovered at all. I got the wave beam on my first playthrough by using the dash and walljump when you're supposed to use the grapple beam.
>>
>>384247356
>I will say that people overblow how non-linear SM is.
git gud. Once you're halfway through Brinstar you can complete the whole game in basically any order you like, if you have the skill.
>>
>>384247414
>if you have the skill
So second or third time players who actually care to get better and not casual players. Like I said, you lot overblow it.
>>
>>384247498
>So second or third time players who actually care to get better and not casual players.
That's a brilliant thing. That's what makes it interesting to replay rather than a boring, directionless sandbox. It's the richest kind of nonlinearity I can think of, how is that a bad thing?
>>
File: 1497819980039.png (391KB, 611x474px) Image search: [Google]
1497819980039.png
391KB, 611x474px
>>384247659
So you didn't even finish my post. Here you go:
>Replay value. And the fact that they are there and can be discovered at all.
Careful next time, quick-draw McGraw.
>>
>>384247879
This is why I'm confused. The nonlinearity works perfectly in service of replay value, but for some reason the nonlinearity in Super Metroid is lacking? I can't understand where you're coming from.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.