[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paper Mario thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6199.jpg (133KB, 468x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6199.jpg
133KB, 468x330px
Just beat this game. You guys were right, that was one of the best games I've played in a long time. How does the sequel stack up?
>>
>>384201019
TTYD is generally considered to be an improvement on all fronts (Some people don't like the partners as much, but I think that's just a personal taste thing), and it is in general a tad funnier and more outrageous than PM1.
>>
>>384201019
thousand year door is probably going to be popular for a thousand years, its actually that good.
>>
>>384201019
Very good, a lot of people like it so much they prefer it to the original. If you liked paper mario you should enjoy ttyd, they are both excellent games.
>>
TTYD improves and expands on the combat.

The world itself, the story, and the atmosphere feels a lot different in TTYD, but they are both great games regardless of each other.
>>
>>384201019
I kind of prefer the way PM64 mario looked, but Thousand Year Door is unironically one of the best games I have ever played.
Play it, faggot.
Then cry. Cry because that's the end of the road.
>>
>>384201019
Why the fuck haven't you played thousand year door yet? Props for playing the 1st one 1st though. Paper Mario is ass after you've played 1k door.
>>
>>384201494
I disagree, I think paper mario still holds up even after playing ttyd.
>>
>>384201019
Paper Mario and TTYD are literally the only 2 good Nintendo games, as well as some of the best (only good) turn-based games.

I enjoyed my first playthrough of TTYD more than Paper Mario, but I think Paper Mario has more replay value.
>>
File: Paper Mario 10th Anniversary.jpg (200KB, 600x678px) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario 10th Anniversary.jpg
200KB, 600x678px
>>384201019
The Thousand-Year Door is just as good at worst and much better at best. It's widely considered excellent just like 64, and is generally thought to be the best in the series. Go play it ASAP OP.
>>
>>384201019

The sequel is:

+Better combat
+More unique paper mechanics
+Good side quests with Peach
+Fun characters
-Way more dialogue
-Bad pacing
-Backtracking
-Lackluster music
>>
I've only ever played TTYD, which I played around 12 years ago and really loved.
Are both Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario worth playing? Bear in mind that my backlog is fucking massive and that I should probably only play one of them unless they're both 9.5/10
>>
>>384202621
More dialogue isn't a bad thing or a good thing on its own, it's all about implementation of dialogue, how it's distributed and ties with the rest of the game. If you ask me, TTYD does it well enough.
>>
>>384202621
Basically this. There is a lot of debate over which is better (I prefer the first, personally) but if you liked the first, then you are basically guaranteed to like TTYD.

>>384203173
PM64 is excellent, don't know about SMRPG.
>>
>>384201019
TYD is my favorite game. I'd take a break between 64 and TYD though because they do have a lot in common so you might get fatigued doing one directly after the other.
>>
>>384203235

I think the dialogue dragged on. Especially in the Glitz Pit and Excess Express. Which for some reason are the most popular parts of the game with most people. I'm all for fun dialogue, but the game just had you sitting there for 20 minutes reading stuff instead of actually interacting with NPCs and finding stuff on your own.
>>
>>384202621
>Lackluster music

That's subjective as hell, although there aren't really any noteworthy Paper Mario songs that I really like. Sticker Star has some good music for being awful in every other way
>>
Rate pm64 partners

Sushie > Kooper > Bow > Watt > lakitu > goombario > parakarry > bombetta
>>
>>384204179
Those chapters were my favourite personally since they just seem so different and broke away from a lot of Mario game cliches.
>>
File: Paper Mario.jpg (14KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario.jpg
14KB, 272x185px
>>384204331
I loved the boss battle themes in PM64. almost all of them were top tier.

https://youtu.be/_Qp-cGWavJU
https://youtu.be/aN6eitV7lQc
https://youtu.be/v1lhom-fv8o
https://youtu.be/GhLwyabmswY

Tell me all of these aren't A list tunes. Pic not really related, I just have it saved and never get to use it.
>>
I dunno what it is, but PM64 and TTYD were honestly some of the best games I've ever played. Of course the dialogue, story, graphics, gameplay was all great, but for some reason there's just an unquantifiable aspect to why they're so good. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but PM64 in particular was just so damn good.
>>
>>384204331
>Sticker Star has some good music for being awful in every other way
Color Splash was the same way.
Fantastic music, terrible everything else
>>
TTYD is better in everything except atmosphere and level design
>>
>>384204565

The concepts for those chapters were the best. But the execution just made them drag for me. Expecially having to constantly go on stage and then back to the locker room like 7 times in Glitz Pit. Then each time, you have to sit there for 10-20 minutes while someone painfully reviews what you just did on stage, what you need to do next time you go on stage, how apprehensive they are about the problems going around in the glitz pit and oh, you're mustache is so sexy!
>>
>>384204502
In terms of mechanical use, not counting any time where that character is abnormally good (Like Sushi at the Lava Piranha, or Watt against General Guy)
Sushi*>Watt>Parakarry>Goombario>Bombette>Kooper>Sushi>Spike>Bow
*Sushi is either broken as fuck if you are a wizard at Tidal wave, or very mediocre.
It's also worth noting that Bow's Outta Sight is fantastic, but she's otherwise kind of useless.

In terms of character
Bow>>>>Bombette>Goombario>Parakarry>Kooper>Lakitu>Sushi>Watt
>>
>>384204502
In terms of usefulness?
Watt > Sushie > Kooper = Bombette > Bow > Lakilester > Goombario > Parakarry
>>
>>384204331
Gooper Blooper's full medley(with the clapping) and Kersti's Power are really excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgjx6QtlnmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w54UfWPH5Fo
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.