[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game actually good in 2017 or is it just nostalgia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

File: GTA_San_Andreas_Box_Art.jpg (342KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
GTA_San_Andreas_Box_Art.jpg
342KB, 640x800px
Is this game actually good in 2017 or is it just nostalgia?
>>
>>384196882
It's good unless you're underage and need a pseudo gritty homo drama story to go with your shit game
>>
Doesn't matter. If you didn't play it in 2004 you're probably too young to relate to the early 90s culture anyways.
>>
It's good, better than GTAV at least
>>
>>384196882
Only the physical version. Steam automatically updated everyone's copy to the shitty mobile version which removed a bunch of the radio songs
>>
>>384197117
Yea I remember I couldn't relate to Vice City because I didn't grow up in the 80's and that made it a bad game!
>>
It's good just for the early 90s nostalgia alone. The radio is gold and so is the country side.
>>
It's probably the best out of the GTA's, but there are some parts of it that haven't stood the test of time like the graphics, and the AI, the AI is pretty bad
>>
>>384196882
It has a pretty robust speedrunning community so it must have some value
>>
It's excellent and packed to the brim with content, that said I think both Vice City and 4 had better driving, and the game does really go downhill after you get out of the hood.
>>
>>384198056

The driving in Vice City was absolute dogshit. At least SA had some kind of physics to the handling.
>>
>>384198697
That's the problem.
Vice City is pure video game-y arcade madness. IV has pretty realistic driving. San Andreas occupies this awful middle ground between the two.
>>
saints row did everything san andreas did but better. the first one, atleast, the rest of that series is complete utter shit
>>
Gameplay mechanics are very dated, but it's worth it since everything else is fine for a modern game and is among the best in the medium.
>>
>>384197920
>the AI is pretty bad

Trying to keep Sweet near you and not get run over in the last ditch effort to take over territory was such a pain in the hole
>>
>>384199868
Lel u iz dumb boi bruh lek
>>
daily fucking reminder that if you had trouble on the mission "the wrong side of the tracks" you were....on the wrong fucking side of the tracks.

if your on the middle or left side, your too fucking close. if you ride on the right side of the tracks, smoke will waste those guys on the train before you even reach the first tunnel. the game LITERALLY tells you
>>
File: 13836841623_985f5364e6_b.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
13836841623_985f5364e6_b.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
what does this MEAN?!
>>
>>384201367
I never had any issues with it on Xbox or PC but I started playing through all the (main) 3D GTA's and I'm fucking stuck on this trash mission. I got through the GTAVC toy helicopter missions no problem so hopefully Zero's toy missions don't give me any issues either.

wish me luck pls.
>>
It's the most playable of the PS2 trilogy in 2017. Its controls and everything aren't really much different from IV and V
>>
>>384202520
bruh. if your near the train, the bullets hit the train. you can literally see the ricochets. stay off the tracks entirely and smoke wastes them so fast. that little bridge and the rails on the side people use to get onto the train? kills them before you can even reach that shit
>>
>beat wrong side of the tracks on the first try
I was told this was difficult
>>
>>384202620
>press circle/b to shoot
>cycle weapons with L+R triggers
>press x/a to accelerate
>similar controls to gta 4/5
no
>>
>>384202851
>if your near the train, the bullets hit the train
I know all this.
Again; I've beaten this mission a countless number of times in my youth but can't get passed it atm for reasons unknown.
>>
Flying missions nearly ruin it
>>
>>384197515
this. don't bother trying to play if you don't have the ps2 disc
>>
>>384200586
sr2 is the best one
>>
>>384203896
LAUNCH
THE RED BARON
>>
>>384204274
fuck you, and everything you stand for
>>
File: 1497167617860.jpg (17KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
1497167617860.jpg
17KB, 401x401px
>>384203896
to this day i still dont understand how anyone has any trouble with them and dont complete them on the first go
>>
>>384198056

It's only San Fierro that's not that great. Las Venturas and the country/desert missions are pretty fun
>>
>>384204638
It is impossible on PC.

Regardless forced tutorial is never ever a good thing and they are not good parts of the game even if you can do them.
>>
>>384196882
Eh I made the mistake of playing it after playing GTA V. V ruined gta for me, cause when I bought the hd release of San andreas on psn, it just didn't hold a candle to it. Just an unpolished glitchy mess. .
>>
>>384202520
>hopefully Zero's toy missions don't give me any issues either.
In regards to the misson where you control the little plane and kill the couriers (the only mission that gives anyone trouble) all you need to know is not to keep your hand on the accelerator. Everyone's problem with that mission is the fuel always runs out
>>
>>384197515
>Steam automatically updated everyone's copy to the shitty mobile version which removed a bunch of the radio songs

Cant people disable updates of individual games? Why didnt people do this after the VC fiasco.
>>
File: shoulder-shrug.jpg (4MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder-shrug.jpg
4MB, 4288x2848px
>>384204783
thats the only version i played much, the pc version. im convinced people who cant do it after atleast 3 times have trouble drinking from a glass without breaking their teeth
>>
>>384196882
Its held up the best of the PS2 games. 3 is the only one I find really hard to go back but I felt that way after SA, VC and SA improved so much on 3 it felt dated back then.
>>
>>384197150
you are retarded
>>
>>384201367
I always rode ahead and jumped onto the train.
>>
File: times they are a changing.jpg (17KB, 372x192px) Image search: [Google]
times they are a changing.jpg
17KB, 372x192px
>>384205002
behold, steams current update options
>>
>>384205167
then you wasted time. smoke kills them before you reach that point
>>
Absolutely FUCK the Zero missions on the original PS2 version. Especially that damn RC helicopter mission. I heard they made it easier on the PC version as well as later copies of the PS2, but the original is a bitch.
>>
File: 1499749404877.png (161KB, 422x357px) Image search: [Google]
1499749404877.png
161KB, 422x357px
>>384205157
This nigger
>>
>>384205219

Wow... but they used to have a "Don't update" option right? I dont use Steam but I remember an option like that.

Holy shit, why even bother with options 1 and 2 when they're the same thing, only one is done ASAP and the other as soon as you launch it.
>>
File: 1365629963501.png (191KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1365629963501.png
191KB, 351x351px
>>384197515
>Download a fan patch
Presto. GTA San Andreas is good again.

Don't buy it if you don't already have it because Rockstars terrible behavior shouldn't be encouraged but you can make your Steam version playable
>>
>>384204321
If you were able to do the original PS2 version you then the rest of the game seemed like a cake walk

I was only able to finish it once, never again on replays until i played the other versions
>>
File: 1497811143752.jpg (36KB, 807x689px) Image search: [Google]
1497811143752.jpg
36KB, 807x689px
>>384205818
yeah, but ironically this isnt actually steams douchebaggery this time, its a legal thing. those songs and artists put a time limit on this sort of stuff and enforced it. the record labels could of just gone "yeah we wont force this, we will let it slide", but they didnt. because of this, steams changed the updates system wide to cover themselves from lawsuits.
>>
File: 1498378019696.png (89KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
1498378019696.png
89KB, 600x606px
>>384205416
>>
>>384206382
a man of culture i see

>>384206193
like i said before, how do you drink glasses of anything without breaking your teeth. it should take no more then TWO attempts, and the first failure should because your 12 shots drunk
>>
The world is great, but the missions are fucking terrible. 95% of them are very poorly designed.
>>
File: 1488264182629.jpg (29KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
1488264182629.jpg
29KB, 500x394px
>Getting high as a kite on the DUDE and playing this game
Few experiences in gaming are so immersive, especially since playing Vice City out or your mind on coke doesn't sound nearly as comfy.
>>
>>384206272

But couldnt people argue that they bought the game when the songs were in tact, so they have the right to keep them? I agree that selling *future* copies should have the songs removed since the copyrights expired, but why should people who bought it before the copyright expiration also be punished? You cant just barge into someone's house, steal their original GTA copy and replace it with the new, gimped one. So why are Steam copies any different?
>>
>>384202620

Are you serious? The controls are fucking vastly different compared to IV and V. In comparison SA feels so fucking stiff, imprecise, and glitchy. The aiming is fucked. Its also annoying how you cant strafe, you can only roll left or right when aiming.
>>
>>384207263
nope. record labels argued this, technically if you can redownload the game at any time, then when you do, your creating a new copy of the song.

the record labels could of just ignored it, but they didnt.
>>
I like Vice City more
>>
>>384196882
Played it two or so years ago on 360 backwards compatability of the OGxboxorignalonebox version.
Had a lot of fun with it. Rough around the edges for sure, but makes up for it in charm, setting, humour and not being bogged down by realism.

Playing it on a 360 controller makes controlling planes way easier since it remaps black and white used for yaw to left/right bumper wich feels way more natural than the originally intended way. Had no trouble doing the flight-school missions maybe because of this.

I personally went in not expecting anything and not caring about the setting, but once i got to the first clothing store to don myself in hella cool dude clothes and the story went batshit i really liked it.
>>
>>384196882

Most of the missions are very poorly programmed and tested. A lot of the missions you have an AI companion with you and they are so stupid and can often get themselves killed, failing you the mission. Other times, a truck might run them over, failing you the mission. For most missions you can nitpick an element that doesn't work exactly as it should - it just adds up to a really choppy feeling game. Maybe for instance, when you have to follow a car, you will be totally out of sight but the meter still fills up. The real appeal of SA is the novelty of the countryside and desert and riding around in these areas in a GTA game. But gameplay wise its a mess, and IMO, the worst of them all. I also think car's in this game have a tendency to spin out way too easily.
>>
>>384207263
>You cant just barge into someone's house, steal their original GTA copy and replace it with the new, gimped one
well...technically...you sorta can, its just not worth the money and negative publicity to do this. people complain all the time that steam is renting games, but...its always been this way and the law has always said this, just no one enforced it. pull out your doom floppy disc and youll notice a "all rights reserved", and in those rights is the right to revoke said license. think diablo, they could revoke your online playing capability, your cd key. all steam really has done is actively enforce the laws youve been agreeing to for 20 years or so
>>
>>384207524
>nope. record labels argued this, technically if you can redownload the game at any time, then when you do, your creating a new copy of the song.

So stupid. Fuck the record labels. I'm glad they got fucked in the ass hard by Napster and the internet.
>>
>>384198056

i dont get why people love the hood part so much, most of those missions you do for ryder/sweet/og loc are really shitty and boring. I would argue this first part of the game goes on for way too long.
>>
>>384201367
i failed it like 3 times but it wasn't a big deal. i don't know why this mission gets so memed.
>>
>>384207982
>well...technically...you sorta can

No, you literally cannot barge into someone's house to swap game copies. Not legally at least. Unless you mean that they can sue you for having a now-illegal copy of the game, which they probably could.
>>
>>384196882
It's a bit of both.

It's not bad by any means but I imagine you'll have an easier time going and getting into it if you have a fondness from playing it before.

>>384197515
>TFW still have my old Phsycial PS2 and PC versions

Feels good, but that said I think the patcher patches the songs back in on the steam version, could be wrong.
>>
>>384205879
Yeah, Rockstar's terrible behaviour like making fucking fantastic games with microtransaction traps for kids and third worlders.
We must stop this menace because good games should be outlawed.
>>
>>384196882

Nobody agrees with me but this game sucks, worst in the series

>storyline is the worst of them all, filled with way too many crappy irrelevant characters, has no real momentum at all
>literally looks WORSE than vice city
>tons of content but almost all of it is bad
>people jerk off over the soundtrack but i'm not impressed. not as cohesive or memorable as VC. a lot of really boring songs
>stat system is fucking useless and just bogs down the game with more irrelevant content that makes it look like a mess
>almost none of the missions are fun, aside from The Black Project I can hardly think of any that I actually enjoyed. I would be impressed if someone could name 5 good missions
>aside from toreno the voice acting is terrible
>worst car physics of the series, too slippery

I'm convinced people only like this game because of the memes and nostalgia for watching bigfoot videos on youtube with the x-files music in 2005
>>
>>384197515
>>384204070
>>384205002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVuYZrtHWo
>>
>>384208631
no, you cant do the break and entry, of course not, but the right to change and/or revoke the license is there, hence the technically. going door to door and suing people would be literal career suicide so they didnt. but the right IS reserved.
>>
GTA IV will always be the best in the series.
>>
since people in here are talking about steam - does it crash a lot for everyone else? for me it probably crashes every 5 play sessions or so, which is ridiculous. and i'm not using any mods. is steam just really unstable or is my computer fucked?
>>
>>384209925
t. person who can drive
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.