[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game has the best dungeons in the series. Prove me wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

This game has the best dungeons in the series. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>384158573
>years of games where everything sucked but the dungeons
>newest game is the complete opposite

This series is just never going to get it all right ever again.
>>
File: majora's-mask.jpg (27KB, 250x169px) Image search: [Google]
majora's-mask.jpg
27KB, 250x169px
>>384158573
Okay.
>>
agree botw was a massive step back
>>
>>384158846

Literally the worst in the series.

Even stone tower is overrated as fuck. cool concept but atrocious design.
>>
people dont like good dungeons it seems like, wind waker has the worst dungeons but everyone says its like the best, skyward sword has the best but everyone hates it, botw has horrible dungeons but 97 metacritic
>>
>>384158573
TP had better dungeons, and the 64 games are pretty much as good. Can't stand WW's dungeons though.
>>
>>384158573
It has a few dungeons that are good and fewer instances of them being good while uninterrupted by Fi.
>>
File: 1500174708700.jpg (136KB, 692x763px) Image search: [Google]
1500174708700.jpg
136KB, 692x763px
>>384158915
>>
>>384158573

Too simplistic and straightforward across the board. Now don't get me wrong, SS has a FANTASTIC synthesis of overworld and dungeon, especially in the Lanayru province, and some of its dungeons like Sandship, Ancient Cistern and Sky Keep are pretty damn good. But the dungeons proper? I feel like they're like TP's but more streamlined and with less fun gimmicks driving them. And that's if we're only keeping to things like aesthetics and gimmicks - in terms of actual level design, most 2D Zeldas beat pretty much every 3D Zelda in terms of challenge and complexity.
>>
>>384159006

MM absolutely has better dungeons than WW. That's not even up for debate, WW's are just that fucked.
>>
>>384158790
>years of games where everything sucked but the dungeons
You got it backwards buddy.
>>
>>384158573
the ship was cool as hell
genuinely don't remember the others
>>
>>384158573
Twilight Princess
>>
>>384158573
It's also the most hated game in the series.
>>
Outside of the one town, this game was entirely dungeon, which made it tiring to play through. also, 1:1 motion control was annoying.
>>
>>384162306

Nah, the dungeons were definitely the strong suit in games like Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, and Four Swords Adventures offered nothing but dungeons. I guess it's not necessarily true for Phantom Hourglass or A Link Between Worlds, though.
>>
>>384159269
>TP had better dungeons

Literally no. The dungeons in TP are overrated shit loved by reddit and based Mark Brown BTFO the redditors with his boss keys analysis of TP.
>>
>>384162031
>autistic TP cucks still believing the dungeons in that game were better than in MM or OoT

Fuck no
>>
File: 1496949071458.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1496949071458.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>384158790
The dungeons in BOTW are better than the dungeons in Twilight Princess in terms of level design by a lot.
>>
>>384162742

What makes TP dungeons is the gimmicks, which is the best part of any 3D Zelda dungeon. TP's dungeons are indeed rather simple but it doesn't matter in the moment when you're doing really fun shit like building monkey bridges, walking on walls via magnetism, or using a giant gear to ride along winding track passages. TP's pretty damn good at giving the player cool things to do.
>>
>>384163181
The dungeons in BotW are a loose set of rules so the player can mix and match whatever play methods suit their taste to get to the end. They can be fun and it's an ingenuous approach, but a concept of "level design" doesn't come anywhere near them but for few and far between sections like the one you posted.
>>
>>384163195
TP's dungeon gimmicks were pretty fun, but you listed really boring ones. Clawshotting around City in the Sky, transporting water and exploring Snowpeak mansion were way more interesting than slugging along ceilings (unless you used the glitch to not need iron boots)
>>
>>384162732
>Lakebed
>Snowpeak
>Tower of Spirits
>anything related to FSA
>good
SS was the only zelda game with really good dungeons that didn't get so tedious after a while.
>>
>>384163195
>What makes TP dungeons is the gimmicks, which is the best part of any 3D Zelda dungeon.

Level design has always being the best thing about Zelda dungeons. Also, All of the best and most memorable Zelda dungeons let you interact with the dungeon itself in some way of another. See: All of the dungeons in MM, Eagle Tower in LA, Forest and Water Temple in OoT, the Sandship and Ancient Cistern in SS among others.
>>
>>384163823
I can remember Snowpeak (yeti mansion), Arbiter Grounds (boring spinning discs), monkey-collecting forst temple, and sumo battle fire temple, but I can't remember Lakebed
What was it all about?
>>
File: wtf.png (24KB, 379x214px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
24KB, 379x214px
>>384163823

>shitting on Snowpeak and Tower of Spirits
>>
>>384164406

Central room gimmick where you controlled staircase rotation and water flow. Boss isn't worth remembering in the slightest, though.
>>
>>384164406
The central hub having the rotatable staircase was the main gimmick.
>>
>>384163665
What? The Divine beasts are Zelda dungeons at its more pure in terms of level design. There is no filler and all of the focus in the divine beasts is put on the puzzles and level design which is why you can literally change and interact with the dungeon itself.
>>
>>384164674
>>384164781
Oh, I remember that!
Really annoying
>>
>>384163768

It was more like the game allowed you to walk on the ceiling and walls which was cool, physics-defying shit.

>>384163951

Yes, and the 3D Zeldas do have solid level design but they often don't have a scratch on the raw level design of 2D Zelda in its prime. Compared to games like ALttP, LA and the Oracles, 3D Zelda games might as well be glorified roller coasters. Even the winding passages and exploration of the NES Zeldas have that much going for them above the 3D entries which, fun as they are, tend to be extremely straightforward barring perhaps OoT's more surrealist dungeons like Forest Temple or Shadow Temple.
>>
>>384158573
I can't, that sandsship is great.
>>
>>384158573
While I can't prove you wrong because its your opinion, I'm playing Skyward Sword for the first time and I find everything in it to be extremely weak.
>Tiny, lifeless overworld.
>Fly bird just to extend time from going places.
>Fight Ghiram or whatever twice as a dungeon boss
>Fight evil sock puppet three times
>Dungeons are small, too streamlined
>Too many fetch quests as part of the main game
>>
>>384165214
>shadow temple
>not straighforward

it's literally the most straightforward adult dungeon in OoT. you're full of shit.
>>
>>384165214
Retarded 2D cuck spotted. Dungeons like Stone Tower Temple or the Divine Beasts themselves would be pretty much impossible to recreate in 2D.
>>
>>384165942

I think it's offset by the deceptiveness of its visual design, though. It's a dungeon that calls for the Lens of Truth which makes observing those deceptions possible but that dungeon does try to trip players up visually.
>>
>>384166248

Actually, I think 3D dungeons are more fun overall but I also find them to be simpler than 2D. And yeah, something like Stone Tower that makes use of its 3D space would be hard to recreate properly in a 2D Zelda but that comes back to the strength of the dungeon flipping gimmick, which to be fair is a really fucking good gimmick.
>>
>>384165014
Lakebed temple is the best dungeon in TP though.
>>
>>384164559
>living in a fantasy world where they are totally perfect, not boring and redundant
>>
File: 087.jpg (658KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
087.jpg
658KB, 1920x1080px
>>384166838
faggot
>>
>>384166838

Snowpeak gives players a fun weapon to use, features good enemy types with the ice giants, manages to make some use of the wolf with the outdoor snow sections, features neat ideas like rotatable cannons and levers for moving cannonballs, fantastic visual design due to being a decrepit mansion, and a lighthearted little side story about a yeti trying to nurse his sick wife back to health. Snowpeak does damn near everything right. And Tower of Spirits is basically Temple of the Ocean King stripped of its obnoxious repetition, and is probably one of the best outright dungeons the series has seen in recent years, plus it gives Zelda herself a playing role in dungeons for once.
>>
>>384158573
motion controls are a fucking gimmick that ruined the entire game. Shame really. It could've been a good zelda game.
>>
>>384167802
>Snowpeak gives players a fun weapon to use, features good enemy types with the ice giants, manages to make some use of the wolf with the outdoor snow sections, features neat ideas like rotatable cannons and levers for moving cannonballs, fantastic visual design due to being a decrepit mansion, and a lighthearted little side story about a yeti trying to nurse his sick wife back to health.
I already bought TP hd, you don't have to keep shilling me.
> And Tower of Spirits is basically Temple of the Ocean King stripped of its obnoxious repetition
Different rooms does not equal different mechanics.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.