[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pitch Your Horror Game Concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

File: 1496162010307.gif (350KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496162010307.gif
350KB, 500x750px
I realized something about all of the good horror games. Very rarely does the game-play concept actually carry the horror, its always the setting, atmosphere and the story. Now this may seem obvious in a "of course it fucking is" way, but nobody seems to be actually using that knowledge. Every horror game on steam pitches some stupid game-play shit devoid of any story. It's always another "You cant kill the monster, you have to run. How spooky is that?", "Its procedurally generated!", or "You have little ammo!" bullshit. It is the same with every horror game people pitch here with some spooky game-play concept that wont carry anything. So I am asking what setting/plot would you pitch for a horror game.

Silent Hill monsters are weak-sauce and you wont really have any game-play problems but trying to find your daughter/get home/avenge your dad in a surreal oppressive hellscape is scary.

Fatal Frame is easy as shit and most ghost encounters aren't scary but the quiet eeriness of the town/mansion is unnerving, the sacrifices are disturbing, and in #2 trying to keep your sister alive in ghost hell however frustrating hits hard at home.

Stalker is a fucking shooter but being miles away from civilization in an abandoned place you know is forbidden with unknown bizarre things in forgotten tunnels is supremely creepy.

Yume Nikki straight had no game-play and it was creepy through mixing surreal imagery with probably the only accurate representation of dreaming in gaming.

How would you make people uncomfortable without relying on game-play gimmicks using only those types of things?
>>
Survival horror with limited healing and ammo
you play as a millitary officer visiting an administrative building on base in a foreign country where operations are taking place. It a very run of the mill paperwork assignment. The building is attacked with morters and this is where the game begins. You have to safely navigate the damaged building and escape safely with limited supplies while and enemy faction si trying to eliminate everyone in the building. I think RE1 but instead of zombies, it islamic street gang members who can shoot back.
>>
I've always wanted to play something set in a dollhouse, where all the enemies are much bigger than you are, and it feels like they're trying to reach in.
>>
>>384153753
The best horror games aren't pitchable in a 4chan post, because a good horror game is based on story, presentation and gameplay. It has to come together to become a good game. Try summarizing any fucking horror game and realize that anyone who hasn't played it would call it shit. Summarizing a real fucking good horror story in a post would completely ruin the game's experience by taking away the presentation and gameplay.
>>
>>384153753

>Fatal Frame is easy as shit

Except for the first one, which actually had some balls beyond its final act. 2 is piss easy, though. Moreso than its sequels.
>>
To beat the monsters, you must become one.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 360x360px
I always wondered about a horror game set deep under ground, either in a mine or a cave. The enemy faction in the game would be blind humanoids. There would be two ways to play. Stealthy and all guns blazing. Those who choose to be stealthy would take advantage to the echoey nature of the cramped caves, using thrown stones to lure and trick the monsters. The monsters would be kill able but there will be a swarm mentality. Piss one of them off, you piss them all off. Weapons wil either be found or crafted.
>>
File: 1494854944497.jpg (205KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494854944497.jpg
205KB, 708x1000px
>>384155359
True, but I think the plots of quite a few games can be distilled down in a way that presents the main goal and the main reason for horror. I will go back to the Fatal Frame 2 example which can be brought down to two sentences.

>You loose your twin sister in an abandoned village where dark spirits are present and you must frantically search for her.
>Latter you come to uncover a ancient dark ritual in which one twin kills the other.

Boom. You have the main thrust of the plot/setting and show that it will combine the spooky fear of cult shit and ghosts with the more grounded fear of loosing a sibling. You even get a bit of uncertainty when you begin to question how that twin murder bit is supposed to play out for you. It's not the best description ever but its a lot better and creepier than "You fight a bunch of ghosts with a camera, and you have to let the ghosts get close to you for max damage. Look at the spooky ghost face".
>>
Spiders that split into smaller spiders when you hit them.
They don't die, just that their attacks don't deal as much damage.
>>
>>384153753
the problem with most of them is that they last way too long and simply burn out. black plague even started getting boring, and that was only about 5 hours. it's also the reason people don't consider re4 scary. well no shit, the game is 20 hours long.
>>
One of the problem with having a proper successful horror game is that a lot of the fear comes from something being unexpected or surprising. I don't necessarily mean a jump scare.

The best way to describe it I think would be the Nemesis in Resident Evil 3. Playing through that the first time was scary as FUCK for me because I had no idea he would actually fucking chase after and stalk you. He felt completely relentless, that even in this game where you have an entire armoury at your disposal this guy just won't stop and doesn't seem to follow the conventional rules that other enemies had. However, if you were to explain to people that the game was scary BECAUSE of that and they picked up the game knowing it, it wouldn't have the same impact on them because they already know the 'selling point' of the scare. It's not a surprise to them anymore.

This makes it difficult for new series to be both marketable and successfully scary.
>>
>>384157945
>scared of spiders
What are you a girl?
>>
>>384158030
I think a good thing to do, is to split up unique horror segments. Horror is scarier when it is brief and impressionable, make it extend longer and the brain starts rationalizing and everything falls apart.
>>
File: 1335995567492.png (99KB, 1348x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1335995567492.png
99KB, 1348x1172px
the lockers hide inside YOU
>>
Someone was making an alien invasion/abduction game and if it wasn't a thing I would say that, because aliens are one of the few things that unnerve you.

Maybe instead of a city-wide thing it's just you in your house trying to keep ayy lmaos from getting in.
>>
There are scary monsters in some dark place with you.

You have to navigate through that place, but your only source of light is a dumb cheap toy that makes a super loud noise whenever you use it's light.
>>
>>384159467
That part with the aliens in Majora's Mask was creepy as fuck.
>>
>>384159656
Idea #2, a game where you track down cryptozoology legends like Mothman and The Jersey Devil.
>>
>>384153753
>This gif

Notice me senpai.

Why don't you look back at me senpai?

You don't answer my calls.

You don't answer my mails.

You don't write back to me when I send those thousands of letters.

You...
>>
Game that shows what happens in real life when society breaks down, shows what the worst people are capable of.
>>
a game where you're forced to navigate a series of simple platforming maps and trials as standard. only every time you jump, your character screams in pain and the screen gains a deep dream filter. every jump onward from that filter proceeds to warp the textures into faces and random objects until the broken headspace becomes reality and is required to solve puzzles (ie jumping five times turns a rock into a frog which launches you into the air or something)
>>
>>384160056
There's a coop mod for one of the Arma games called Mothman where you supposedly hunt him, but I never found out if you can even find the fucking Mothman in that mod. Also it's full of random ear-tearing screamers for no apparent reason.

https://youtu.be/wWn0M0yImVM?t=2m42s
>>
>>384160440
>screamers
Nope.
>>
File: 23158869_BG1.jpg (14KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
23158869_BG1.jpg
14KB, 400x225px
If you get scared in the game you get scared in real life
>>
File: robot.jpg (89KB, 660x1062px) Image search: [Google]
robot.jpg
89KB, 660x1062px
>First person sci-fi survival horror game
>You are the AI of a derelict ship, attempting to find out what happened to the crew after a blackout of all on-board systems
>The failsafe uploaded you into the nearest data center onto a secure drive, severing your connection to the ship's mainframe and thus your control over the systems
>Data centers contain robotic proxy bodies that you can shunt yourself into and control
>You use these bodies to interact with the environment and move around
>Each proxy body is equipped with the capability to dump all of the software in it into the nearest data center in case of emergency
>This serves as a continue, but each data center that you activate only has a limited amount of proxies for you to use
>If a proxy body is destroyed while you still inhabit it, it's game over and you have to start over from the very beginning
>Each proxy body is also equipped with a short range taser. Firing it will restrict you from uploading yourself for a while, but will also stun an assailant for a while, giving you time to relocate and possibly lose potential pursuers
>Each time you begin a new game, the ship's layout is randomly generated from handcrafted segments
>The type of threat on-board and the locations of objectives are also randomized in this way

Basically, a survival horror game with the gameplay loop of a roguelike.
>>
>>384160440
>Arma Mothman
I played that a bit with some friends. More than screamers it also has random bullshit that'll kill you good and force you to start the whole thing over.

You find the Mothman, except it's just a normal guy made invisible that'll shoot you without you ever seeing him. Even cheating it was fucking hard to kill him. Would not recommend.
>>
>>384153753
Its like the early resident evil games but each time you enter a room there is a chance the rooms enemies and layout may be rearranged with the game remembering which ones you've seen before.
>>
>>384154152
You'd like Little Nightmares
>>
You're the comms guy in a dispatch unit sent to map out what's rumored to be a haunted building. The first half of the game is you watching over your buddies, offering advice, directions, banter and other tactical info. Shit hits the fan, reality turns out to be distorted, people get lost, you try to keep everyone calm but you and them are panicking at the noises. Your buddies are killed one by one by something horrifying that you barely catch a glimpse of through their cams. Second half of the game is you taking point, unable to contact outside help, and using what you've seen through your dead friends cameras to try and make your way out, or further in than anyone ever before.

Kinda like Grave Encounters, without the awful special effects.
>>
File: ib-017.png (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ib-017.png
27KB, 640x480px
>>384153753
Ib had a super-unique setting and style. The blank hallways of the gallery contrasted perfectly with the detail of the paintings and statues.
I'd love to see more stuff that isn't afraid of being outright surreal. The sudden change to crayon-drawn environments was fantastic.
The music also added a lot- the subtle breathing in the background of some of the songs does wonders for the atmosphere.
>>
>>384156417

I played a huge majority of the third night in the first game with only one hit left and that was the scariest fucking thing I've ever experienced in a game.
>>
>>384153753
>start the game at your peak
>strong weapons, lot of ammo, magic or whatever fit the theme
>threat get more and more aggressive
>but you can hardly find supplies
>go from hunting shits with ease to sneaking around to avoid getting their attention
It actually work really well based on a few alien/cult round i had in ss13 and zombie panic(a source mod) but the game can't last too long before becoming boring.
>>
>>384154084
if this is horror metal gear is a horror game too
>>
>>384153753
>SCP Foundation
>>
File: 635969341048603103-2492124ccjpg.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
635969341048603103-2492124ccjpg.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>middle east
>you're part of an intel team or some shit
>have to deal with insurgents and whatnot
>standard fare at first but insurgents start getting weird
>become more aggressive, start putting animal and human corpses on display
>attacking each other, hurting themselves, etc, etc
>can't avoid them because you start to need their supplies

tl;dr: STALKER but in the desert and people are the monsters
>>
Something like The Experiment where you are in the operation room of a derelict ship.

You have to lead a squad into some SCP-tier hellhole: derelict ship, spaceship, abandoned installation, whatever.
Your briefing is spotty at best, maybe one or two things on what you might expect but for the most part you're going in blind
You get to design your squad's loadout, what they carry and how much of it.
You can access the crew's helmet camera and give directions on what to do (ie: wait, there, on your left, that document, take it and show it to the camera, as well as more general informations)
You can access the facility's computer systems in order to access cameras, lights, various systems, etc. to facilitate the team's advancement or scout ahead.
You might have to create a map for your team as you go if one isn't available or tell them to go ahead outside camera view to activate something to access more cameras (repair a fuse for example)
Later levels might have extra elements, like rogue AIs that try to kick you out of the system or fool your video feed or the place might be so broken down you have to rely on your crew's equipment to "see" (deployable 360° cameras, radio relays, echolocation devices, drones)
>>
>>384162635

>Game: explore SCP-093
>>
>>384154084
Literally Benghazi the game. I like it.
>>
File: killy.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
killy.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
Each time you die or go to sleep in-game, you wake up in control of another character in a different setting. One character is stuck inside a creepy mansion, one is in the trenches of some unknown war, another awakens in a falling-apart mazelike village in the woods, one inside some sort of obscenely massive machine, and one is stuck in a strange labyrinth that defies the laws of physics. The main character has no idea who or where they are, and it's unclear which of these is the real world. They do maintain memory between each of the bodies, and while each body is a different character, the main character isn't sure if they're actually any of these people.
At first the worlds separate, and the sorts of hazards and monsters between worlds varies, but it slowly melds together. The strange shadowy beings that follow you in the village appear in the trenches. You find a dead man in the same uniforms you've seen in the trenches inside the labyrinth. An NPC might reference something you did in one of the other worlds, or appear in a different world than they last did. A door in the mansion might open up to reveal the inside of one of the village houses.
>>
you got exiled in the leper colony
>>
>weapons are sparse
>enemies are hard to observe from a far and are unpredictable
>environment is generally unsettling and unexplained (narrative should be kept to a minimum)
>goal should be simple (escape, save, or ambiguous)
>either no plot or one about something other worldly (keep it in unknown)
>>
>>384157819
That pic gave me an idea
A horror/puzzle game. You go around with your dog trying to escape some place. ghosts will try to attack you occasionally. Ghosts cant be seen until they are almost close enough to attack you, but the dog can sense them and reveal them sooner. The dog sometimes has to be used to solve puzzles so sometimes you will have to wait defenseless while the dog does the puzzle.
>>
>>384164291
That's basically Haunting Ground, except the ghosts are also trying to rape you.
>>
Network VR game where you play as a ghost controlling a ghost house and try to scare people who visit in VR
>>
A multiplayer game that takes place in a spooky mansion where one player is the spookmaster, playing a very dungeon keeper-ish game in which they can interact with pretty much anything inside the mansion (want to throw a vase at another player entering a room? Go ahead), generate noises and set triggers for those noises, place creatures and hallucinations and set triggers for them as well etc. etc.

Basically, the spookmaster has unlimited power inside the mansion to scare the other players, who make up a Scooby Doo like team of ghost hunters, whose mission it is to find several artifacts inside the mansion, capture footage of paranormal activity and finally perform an exorcism. The catch is that each member of the team can do different things. For example, only one player has a camera, so the team has to coordinate well to catch the spookmaster in action (since he will also know which member of the team has the camera, and will naturally avoid spooking near him/her)

These players will also be required to wear those heartbeat monitor thingies, for reasons I am about to explain.

The spookmaster wins if he manages to scare the team away (or if he manages to scare away a team member vital to the success of the current mission). This is achieved by giving the other players three spooks aka getting their heart rate to exceed a certain threshold. Once the third spook is given, that character will run out of the mansion and that player is eliminated.
>>
you're asking for the impossible anon, horror comes from the player's' experience, as a kid or teen some things may scare you but growing up they won't anymore

if you're used to watching gore and playing horror games, nothing will scare you anymore aside from jumpscares which aren't fear

the only thing I can kinda suggest is sound design, in cry of fear there's a area where you hear chainsaw sounds nearby, so you think there's a enemy that will kill you but he never appears, the sound is just fucking with you, granted that was about 7 years ago but that shit was a bit spooky, felt genuine fear when in the forest, you don't see much and when an enemy spots you, out of your line of sight, it makes a heavy breathing sound
>>
>>384166390
Best idea.
Needs max customization so you can create elaborate scares and paranoia.
>>
>>384169973
Does a network VR game even exist in the first place
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.