[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should people who review and write about games for a living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Should people who review and write about games for a living be good at them?
>>
no because they should represent the average player
>>
>>384121494
this.
>>
File: DCPbqjZXoAAmUI8.jpg (109KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DCPbqjZXoAAmUI8.jpg
109KB, 1200x900px
BEST GIRL
>>
>it's a "/v/ thinks reviewers should just guess what the average person's opinion would be and rate the game according to that" episode
>>
>>384121417
>>384121494
They should have a skill level approximating an average player, but should at least understand mechanics and design at a decent level.
>>
No, anyone of any skill level can review games.

With that said, their skills are relevant to the review itself, especially if they make comments on the game's difficulty, so videos of them playing the game should be displayed alongside the review itself.
>>
>>384121417
Yes. Why would we trust the opinion of someone shit at them?
>>
>>384121494
However once you have the case of Polygon Doom gameplay then you know that this person should not talk about games at all.
>>
>>384121417
>>384121494
>>384121729
Critics for other medium are not "average" consumers and rarely market themselves as such. The best things reviewers can do are...
>Be part of a panel
>Have easy to access/read bios stating genre/games they like for comparison
>Be able to distinguish difficulty with design flaws (this is why they need to be at least proficient at the medium)
>Live by ump perfect world rules where each "call" is made independent
>>
Reviews are for idiots, anyway.
You should watch a video of someone playing it and talking about it.

The problem of course is when you watch a fucking giantbomb quick look of some random shit that seems kind of interesting but those fuckers can't play a game to save their lives and usually end up acting as if it's the game's fault.

>I'm a retard and don't know how the map works, but without mentioning that part I'm going to say "Yeah, I wish they made it easier to know where you are, it's kind of a big flaw"

If I can watch a youtube video of a game and figure out what's going on better than someone who's actually playing it, I get fucking annoyed.
>>
>>384121951
>You should watch a video of someone playing it and talking about it.

Without context, this is just an endorsement of watching Let's Plays.
>>
>>384121417
Should people who write book reviews be good at reading?

Should the deaf write music reviews?

Should someone who can't use a fork and quits the meal after the appetizer be a food critic?

Should driving instructors be alcoholics?
>>
>>384121494
>the average player doesn't play games and/or is also shit at them
I want Reddit to leave.
>>
>>384122043

I'd rather watch an LP than read a review.
>>
>>384122205
>an LP
>not just a gameplay video
the absolute state of neo-/v/
>>
>>384122304

A gameplay video can be misleading, where are you getting that video from? The youtube channel of the developer or publisher?

Someone unrelated needs to be playing it and talking about it.
>>
>>384121417
nah. see: basically every other kind of career critic out there.
but they do need to be knowledgeable about the technical and aesthetic aspects of game design as well as the history of videogames and the culture surrounding it. an art critic doesn't have be to able to crank out a masterpiece but they do have to be able to tell something inspired by Michelangelo from something inspired by Van Gogh, for example, and understand the political and historical context that went into things like Pop Art
>>
>>384122459
What you described was being good at games, you dumb nigger. OP wasn't asking if critics should be proficient devs.
>>
>>384121417
Well, since the veteran players of that genre or series are the ones interested in reading reviews about it and since on average they will be good enough at those games to actually finish them it's quite obvious that yeah. The critic should be as good as their average reader.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.