[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wavedash Online Teaser Trailer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 521
Thread images: 83

File: slideshow_1_2.png (823KB, 1874x875px) Image search: [Google]
slideshow_1_2.png
823KB, 1874x875px
Oh yeah this came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4KbWe1U-c

>no gameplay
How about that name though? What were they thinking? They have actual ex-EA dudes working on this, how could they not think of something better than Icons: Combat Arena? Sounds like a Korean MOBA.

They say they'll show gameplay tomorrow on the EVO stream. I guarantee it'll be on par with Rivals on Aether, which is meh.
>>
I mostly like the character design.

Hopefully this is actually good, though.
>>
>>384120764
Is Ganondorf a big green girl now?
ok
as much as I love PM I don't see this working out
unless they add in a not-Wario then it's GOTY
>>
>>384120764
Rivals of Aether is fucking solid. This game looks ugly.
>>
>>384120764
>generic name
>generic design

lol
>>
>>384123103
The way I see it, since they cannot rival PM or Tr4sh in terms of roster, their path to victory is by having a game-changing gimmick. Like high-low blocking. Something on par with grabbing or wavedashing or EX moves. Otherwise it'll have no punch, smooth and featureless.

>>384123745
This game will, at the very least, probably have throws and ledges. That would instantly make it better than Rivals.
>>
>>384120764
The game is ugly and has a shitty name. Devs have been trying to hype themselves while trying to not have leaks which is like, pick a side you dumb fucks. Gameplay matters over all and we won't see that until later today and that will come with the ITSJUSTANALPHA disclaimer and probably a shitload of transitions and doctored footage.
>>
>>384123858
>ledges
>actually good
considering melee is played 80% on edges I wouldn’t call it good
>>
Kidd the goat is 10/10 character design.
>>
>>384123858
The worst thing they could do is have a game-changing gimmick. Hell, you complain about Rivals having a gimmick in your very same post. They just need good physics, which is something both P:M and Tr4sh lack when compared to Melee and Smash 64's very consistent and good feeling flow. Brawl (and Smash 4)'s engines are jank as fuck, especially with landing.

Also, it already looks like the devs could be trying to copy Melee/Smash tropes with their characters a bit too hard. The goat is clearly going to be a space animal.
>>
>Make a game to appeal to a group of people who have literally played the same game for over 15 years

Surely they'll buy it.
>>
>>384123747
Even the logo is fairly similar to the Overwatch logo
>>
>>384120764
I hate the artstyle.
>>
>>384124049
Uhhh a lack of features is not a gimmick. I want a new mechanic. Rivals has, what, wall jumping during special fall? Easy wavedashing? Those are cool but they do not make up for what is absent.
>>
>>384124292
The way they handle ledges is indeed a game-changing gimmick, whether you like it or not. Your suggestion of "high-low blocking" is total dogshit for the smash format. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but what kills all of these attempts at a similar-to-smash game is that they deviate too much where it counts and then mimic movesets. The experience of movement and momentum is what's so damn good. Nothing in any of those games matches the feeling of being Falcon on the hunt bodying someone.
>>
>>384124585
>Your suggestion of "high-low blocking" is total dogshit for the smash format.
Smash already has a form of high-low blocking with shield tilting, buddy. You sound like you have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
File: Roster.jpg (3MB, 2806x1985px) Image search: [Google]
Roster.jpg
3MB, 2806x1985px
Interesting, I'm working on a fighting game too, and I often see a lot of discussion regarding character design in these threads. I wonder if I could get some feedback on mine.

Here's a sample of the 5 that I've got fully fleshed out.
>>
>>384124928
that is literally guts in doomguy suit
>>
Awful generic future themed design that's been done to death already.

50% of a fighting game's appeal comes from the characters and art direction. This is just bland

and the developers are diversity cultists as well so expect your strong black wyminz
>>
>>384125559
diversity cultists aka logical capitalists
>omg why is there a chinese character
>omg why is there a black character
Boy, who knows. Maybe it's to pander to potential consumers.
>>
>>384125683
Yeah m8, cause black women are the the target demographic for fighting games.

The target audience is males 15-30 years of age. Make cool dudes and sexy females if you wanna sell. Diversity fanatics aren't buying games, especially not niche games with high skill cap like fighting games.
>>
>>384123858
They confirmed both building up to a roster size of Smash 4 and game-changing gimmicks. The gameplay's all that really matters. I hope it's good.
>>
>>384124928
They are distinct in terms of silhouette and general design. thats around 90% of strong character design, especially for a fighting game.you should be able to tell a lot about their personality and fighting style just by looking at this, which this accomplishes quite well.
>>
>>384124000
Well his design is based on the greatest of all time himself.
>>
>>384125913
Protip you don't have to be both black and a woman to identify with a black woman. On a related point, you don't even have to be the same species as something to identify with it (re:pixar movies), but having penchant one-of-each helps open the window for the most amount of customers attaching to a character. Currently covered: Midget, Furry, Black, Male, Female, Goblin, Punk, Anime, Chinese. If you can't see how limiting this pool of character attributes would make the game less appealing to less people, well that explains why you aren't a successful business man making vidya gaems! Devs don't need to pander to 15-30 y/o white males. Why? Because they're already in it for the gameplay, dude.
>Make cool dudes and sexy females if you wanna sell.
The dudes they have look cool. Two of three girls look sexy.
>Diversity fanatics aren't buying games,
You don't need to buy a game to promote it. They're going to strive for the esports angle, may I remind you.
>especially not niche games with high skill cap like fighting games.
Casuals buy fighting games all the time, play for a week, then move on. Pretty sure that's a huge bulk of sales-- hey wait a minute, Smash isn't a fighting game!
>>
They need yo make this game 100% like melee or it wont succeed.

Yea that includes tap jumping and everything that casuals whines about the game. This game will have NO future if they dumb it down for the tr4sh crowd.
>>
>>384126898
Well they're all Melee players and said it would be more like Melee than PM or Smash 4.
>>
File: ICONS.png (1MB, 1134x1340px) Image search: [Google]
ICONS.png
1MB, 1134x1340px
Ashani is H O T
>>
They look like rejected Battleborn characters
>>
>>384124928
DoomGuts Arnie is too blatant with it's references.
Samurai elf Raiden is pretty cool.
I like Gurren Kaman rider a lot.
Catwoman isn't kawaii enough.
Sengoku Thundercat is the best for sure.
>>
>>384127075
I think i preferred her original design
>>
>>384124928
>Schwarzeneggar in Predator meets Guts
>Ky Kiske but like, an elf

I look forward to the three or four smut images featuring your catgirl that will be produced before your game languishes in obscurity
>>
>>384124928
I'll main doomguts
>>
smash bros + moba
>>
>>384127270
Fuck no, she used to look like a Spy Kids 3D character if that movie was a low-budget MMORPG. Post the redesign after that, the one they made a youtube video about. That's good. Maybe better than the current one? Can't remember. They sorta botched it and made her look too much like Pharah to be honest. I think it's the color choice.
>>
File: oh god.png (220KB, 345x590px) Image search: [Google]
oh god.png
220KB, 345x590px
>>384127171
if they were battleborn their necks would be super long and their face shrunken. im not a fan of the horned furry fag but its miles better than this freak

the ork zarya is kinda gross though
>>
>>384120764
That's a terrible name are you kidding me

Also these designs look like they're from a chinese bootleg of LoL
>>
>>384124928
They look painfully generic. and they're also so overdetailed. They're also inconsistent as heck, like they're from completely different games. And by games I mean web comics. Mediocre web comics. I swear I've seen that oni design a million times. That Kamen Rider is incredibly frustratingly blatant and the kamina glasses are in poor taste. The catgirl is Just Stupid and it looks tryhard sexy. Doomguy, what the hell is going on with him. He has a dozen different designed pouches and ammo holsters and I know he's never going to open or use them. Streamline your shit. Animeweeblord is decent (but hey what's with his left foot...? (Yes that was a joke bitch)).

Also tell your artist to Loomis more
>>
File: 1495406555695.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1495406555695.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>384126554
>Implying this looks sexy
Nobody wants to look at or play as these atrocities.

>Devs don't need to pander to 15-30 y/o white males
Who said white males? Black and asian males make up a large share of fighting games. Make cool asians like Fei Long and cool blacks like Dudley. Not this bland overwatch ripoff with random shapes thrown together make "muh futuristic look".

Your product will fare much better when you please your established fanbase, especially with something as niche as fighting games.

>well that explains why you aren't a successful business man making vidya gaems
Lmao neither are the devs of this game
>>
File: Slayer.png (2MB, 1683x1985px) Image search: [Google]
Slayer.png
2MB, 1683x1985px
>>384127426
Doomguts has a chainsaw hand.
>>
File: 2kjbD4s.jpg (348KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
2kjbD4s.jpg
348KB, 600x401px
>>384127075
>>
Yet another poor attempt at a fighting game. Is DBFZ really the only good fighting game that's gonna come out 2018?
>>
>>384126149
>They confirmed both building up to a roster size of Smash 4
Where? Last I heard there were supposed to be like 8 characters in the final game.
>>
>>384127927
Fuckin' zing
What's-her-face does look attractive though. I dunno what to tell you. She has big eyes. Pleasent eyeshadow. Neat little pompadour-brain. DSL's. Seems pretty okay to me. Unless you -really hate black people- but shit dude even slave owners would rape their hottest slaves.

>>384127961
Looks like a fusion request from drawthread. This is the most damning slam I could possibly hit you with. Weep.
>>
>>384127769
It's funny because a concept artist from riot is working on the game.
>>
File: jack.jpg (82KB, 736x788px) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
82KB, 736x788px
>>384127961
>Arnie
>Doomguy
>Guts
>Ash
>Jack

Please tell me the theme of your game is kitbashing
>>
>>384124928
Still need a concept artist?
>>
>>384128243
>you hate blacks because you don't find this black character sexy

I dunno how to tell you this, anon. But black women are the least wanted women for men of all ethnicities. It's just a matter of taste.
>>
File: Red Hood redo.jpg (1MB, 2104x1489px) Image search: [Google]
Red Hood redo.jpg
1MB, 2104x1489px
>>384128382
Can't say much about it, but I am aiming for a lot of diverse designs, and I mean diverse in the sense of stuff that we think is cool and could have cool movesets, think Guilty Gear, not diverse as is "muh minorities." That's also a small sample of the roster, there's a lot lot more in the works. Guilty Gear is in fact a major inspiration for me.

>>384128404
I am the concept artist.
>>
>>384120764
I hate the character designs, but i guess it could be good. The idea of being too close to melee worries me, either people will stick with melee or even a small change will "ruin" the formula.

I like that they finally adopted platform fighter as a real term.
>>
>>384128810
That's why I'm asking. Having more artists is guaranteed to end in better results.
>>
>>384128198
Yes, 8 characters when the game first releases. But in their Reddit AMA they said they aren't stopping making characters until it's Smash 4 sized.
>>
>>384124928
Did you trace Guts for the face?
>>
>>384128810
>Can't say much about it, but I am aiming for a lot of diverse designs

You misunderstand, that wasn't an eager "please tell me", that was a disparaging "please tell me".

Your designs are so insipid and derivative that if your game is not a kitbash toy fighter of some sort then they need a new artist.
>>
>>384128979
Alright, PM me on either tumblr and insta with a portfolio and we'll talk. My handle is my trip.
>>
>>384128606
Way to miss the point

>>384128810
>I am the concept artist.
Of course
>Guilty Gear is in fact a major inspiration for me.
Red flag that you say Guilty Gear instead of the name of an actual artist, also a red flag that you take inspiration from other games instead of better medium (sick burn).
>>
>>384128998
Fuck that shit, fucking make a reasonable sized rooster and then add characters, fuck this shitty business model.
>>
>>384128810
Your designs are pretty cool so far (I only dislike doomguts current form).

I think the girl has a bit too much going on. Removing the corset and making the skirt and cape a bit less prominent would be nice imo.
>>
>>384129150
Daisuke Ishiwatari, I've been a fan of his works for years now m8. I'm the guy in the DBFZ and Rev2 threads talking about how awesome his stuff is.
>>
>>384129151
You misunderstood - I said they're starting with 8 characters in 2018 and adding characters every couple months.
>>
>>384124928
Messy with everything clashing. All would be a pain to animate.

Don't know what the guy was on about with good silhouettes. Either way too messy or generic. The raiden, cat and rider aren't bad but they just lack distinct identity.

You need to strip down all the characters, give them only one or two unique aspects that emphasis what they are about
>>
>>384129063
K gonna hit you up sometime on monday.
>>
>>384129537
Kewl.
>>
I hope that fighting game gets a new artist, your shit is super generic and boring TOOBIEH
>>
File: 1385959638995.png (439KB, 1144x1196px) Image search: [Google]
1385959638995.png
439KB, 1144x1196px
>>384128810
While your designs themselves aren't bad, they're only not bad because you've simply taken existing designed and made them one. Like the other anon said, they're all just fusions, and that's fine if you're a bunch of losers on the internet trying to have fun with the imagination of a 6 year old by begging to drawfags, but it's not acceptable if you're supposed to be making your own original game.
>>
>>384120764
>terrible sjw character design
this game is gonna flop hard
>>
>>384127075
>make black samus
>she is captain falcon
Great idea

>>384128810
Diversity isn't an excuse for little cohesion. I like that design but so much is going on and it doesn't fit with the other characters.

GG, SF and even Tekken have diverse casts that all still fit core aesthetics. Plus they have a clean look to them, fighting game characters need to be easy to judge quickly
>>
OP shill posting?
>>
>>384124928
needs female characters with big breats and skimpy armor
>>
>>384128810
you have the right idea when it comes to diversity anon.
Best of luck to you and your game
>>
>>384127927
not him but I´m a white guy and I have zero intresst in playing either as this terrible sjw character or this terrible sjw game full of sjw characters.
if you want me to play your game give me cool white male characters or sexy female characters in skimpy clothes
>>
>>384128810
That's just Tira from Soul Calibur
>>
>>384128810
>>384124928

Cat lady doesn't look dangerous enough.

Are they supposed to be from the same world/setting? If so, Doomguts and Gurren Rider don't fit.

The other three have more a magical feeling (the laser sword notwithstanding), while the other two look way more technological, which is a bit jarring.

I like the art, but the characters are WAY too derivative as it stands.
>>
>>384129821
This.

A bad artist steals
A good artist steals and makes it his own thing

Same thing applies to wavedash, it lacks its own identity. It is melee and it is league designs. Meanwhile Street Fighter stole 90% of its design concepts but most can't place where they came from and is an evolution a style of games to the point 2 defined the genre.
>>
>Icons: Combat Arena
What the fuck is that name
Just call it "Wavedash", you fucks.
>>
File: 2ek.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
2ek.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>384120764
>the character designs
doomed from the start
>>
>>384129821

Fuck, the Final Form looks fun as fuck. I want to play that game.
>>
>>384124928
>>384127961
>>384128810
You got a youtube page or some place the project posts updates?
>>
>>384129063
What does your team look like? Can you also code?
>>
>>384130386
>A bad artist steals
>A good artist steals and makes it his own thing

Bruh the phrase is "A bad artist borrows, a good artist steals"
"Makes it his own thing" is implicit in the difference between borrow and steal.
>>
>>384120764
great another game with sjw character design that I can avoid form the start
>>
who /zurhong/ here ?
>>
File: Beastmaster.jpg (1MB, 2104x1489px) Image search: [Google]
Beastmaster.jpg
1MB, 2104x1489px
>>384129948
Got one just for you, buddy. There's actually a lot more waifubait I'm still fleshing out.

>>384129880
I get what you mean, but I'd like it if you could be more elaborate with your examples. SF thrives on having very simple yet iconic designs, with slight teaks to make them distinct. Guilty Gear and moreso Blazblue on the other hand have characters with very very busy designs. Not only that, but GG is constantly adding characters into the mix that wouldn't logically fit if it wasn't for how the setting was fleshed out. On that same note, Smash Bros is a blending of very diverse universes all colliding together, yet they all work just fine due to the unified artstyle. Characters like Shulk, Pit, Palutena, Robin, etc... all have very detailed designs that don't immediately fit, abd aren't very easy to read. I not saying this is excusable, as I understand it, character design in fighting games requires two key components, a silhouette that reads immediately (which is mostly determined by their idle pose), and strong solid colors at key locations that read well. It's why Chun Li's boots are white, or why Noel has such huge guns.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I appreciate the feedback, but if you could be more elaborate in explaining what you mean, I'd be very thankful.
>>
>>384124813
>shield tilt is the same thing as high-low blocking!
Dishonest as fuck.
>>
ITT: we brainstorm better names than Icon: Combat Arena.
Here are some.
>Wavedash
>Battle Brawl
>Moon Fighters (a reference to one of PM's code names)
>Project: Moon (because fuck you)
>Moonstar Online
>>
>cell shaded graphics
D R O P P E D
>>
>>384130814
Moon fetish confirmed
>>
>>384130525
>>384130525
We're setting up a site, in the meantime you can follow me on Tumblr where I'll properly announce the project when it's ready for promotion.

My tumblr is manlyspirit.tumblr.com
>>
F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N,F,N,D,DF,N
>>
>>384130898
I'd like them to at least acknowledge their roots instead of "lol icons". "Icons" just reminds me of that Charlie Sheen movie Foodfight.
>>
>>384130709
that's literally the amazon from dragon's crown
>>
File: Chris-Benoit.jpg (126KB, 864x479px) Image search: [Google]
Chris-Benoit.jpg
126KB, 864x479px
>>384130814

Not a Melee Clone: An XXX Parody
>>
File: Tomoe Rin.jpg (1MB, 2104x1489px) Image search: [Google]
Tomoe Rin.jpg
1MB, 2104x1489px
>>384131072
That's why it's concept art buddy.
>>
>>384124928
Catgirl needs less 5head, otherwise looks better than OP.
>>
>>384120764
If you want your Melee clone to be a success, you need some fucking character in those character designs.
>>
>>384131159
I thought concept art was supposed to bring original stuff
>>
>>384130726
Whoareyouquoting? "A form of" is not the same thing as "the same thing", silly.

>>384130814
Wavedash is perfect because every time someone says Wavedash it's a little advertisement for their game. They fucked up by making it their studio name. Not that it would stop them from double dipping and making their first album self-titled. Look at Team Ico!
Also Moonstar Online sounds like The Best MMORPG Ever Made-- but not a fighting game.
>>
>>384131246
Strong black woman doesn't have plenty of character? Ummm....
>>
>>384130709
I disagree about GG, xrds style really shows how much of their designs are just blocks of colour maybe with some tiny writing. Even BB generally isn't as cluttered as people make out, when it does it usually is to say something. Sure they are more complex than sf designs but I think they use small aspects to make it appear to be more.

Smash is a difficult example as it is a crossover so by nature their will be clashes. Even then the designs are usually adapted somewhat.
>>
>>384131159
Hey, that one is actually good
>>
>>384131159
>Baiken and Youmu Konpaku's illegitimate daughter
>>
>>384131159
I really like that one
>>
>>384131347
I wonder where they even got "Icons" from.
>>
>>384131507
You do know how Baiken was created right?
>>
>>384131347
Comparing tilting your shield to prevent shieldpokes (a rarely used mechanic as is) to high-low blocking in other games is a reallythin comparison and the entire original discussion was about putting in "high-low blocking" which points towards 2D fighting. Quit being obtuse for the sake thereof.
>>
>>384120764
The fuck where have I seen that fucking stupid little goatman before its design and style has be used somewhere before.
>>
>>384131670
Making a derivative of a derivative, and an obvious one at that, isn't making your case any stronger.
>>
File: 1468987358731.jpg (135KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1468987358731.jpg
135KB, 600x849px
>>384131159
That's mostly screaming MH Yukumo armor with some Baiken and Youmu thrown in. I think it's the hat and color scheme.
>>
>>384131670
this >>384131750 I dunno if I'd really want to work with you as a leader.
Also answer >>384130671 because this sounds like a sketchy two man operation currently.
>>
>>384131159

dude just go look at more obscure shit and blatantly steal from that instead of stealing from shit everyone knows

It's the Tarantino way!
>>
>>384131974
>Dragon's Crown
>Guilty Gear
>not obscure as fuck
I'd say he's doing fine.
>>
>>384132385
>actually implying those are obscure
Either way if it has an english translation it's not obscure enough
>>
>>384124928
the furries need work
>>
>>384124928

>Evil Ryu x Sol Badguy
>cat girl
>Doomguy
>Kamen Rider with gurren lagaan glasses
>Raiden

All those designs are extremely derivative.
>>
>>384131670
so what's the combat system like? DoA? VF? MvC?
>>
>>384131974
>dude just go look at more obscure shit and blatantly steal from that instead of stealing from shit everyone knows
>It's the Tarantino way!

That's actually good advice. If your theft is obscure, it will seem new.
>>
>>384133001
>>Raiden
Raiden from MK or Raiden from MGS?
>>
File: batman.png (76KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
batman.png
76KB, 400x400px
>>384133337

very nice
>>
>>384120764
Looks like the Battleborn of fighting games.
>>
OP designs uglier than most of us.
>>
>>384133716
not really. they're just a bit too busy like korean mmo designs. And some are just blatant ripoffs and hex fusions like >>384129821 posted
>>
>>384133458

MGS. Even has the blade.
>>
>>384120764
>generic wide-appeal MOBA character design.

It feels like I've seen this characters in at least 10 other games. Part of Smash Bros. appeal is playing as your favorite characters, sure, but they're all very unique/visually distinct from each other. There isn't a lot like some of the characters in there. These ones look devoid of charm but I suppose I'll reserve my full judgement until I see them in motion, they could surprise me.

Why don't these platform fighters have fun/diverse characters that look good? There was one that was in development that had some interesting designs, but it was fucking cancelled. RIP Kerfuffle.
>>
>>384134436
this. the black woman looks like a mix between Pharah (?) and the red hair milf from Street Fighter
>>
>>384134436
Cause they set out with the wrong mentality. Instead of attempting to make their own thing they want to make melee but X. This means every part of the product is constrained which kills creativity. Doubly so here as it is going for mass appeal moba art

Not to say it is impossible to make something good that way, in fact artists need some constraints. Just that is is harder to make something which will resonate
>>
>>384133252
Platform fighter that's not a Smash clone. With a lot of elements inspired by Darkstalkers 3, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and KoF.

As well as new stuff I can't talk about.
>>
>>384135171
>platform fighter
>not a smash clone
I'm having trouble visualizing this. Onimusha Blade Warriors?
>>
>>384135171
>With a lot of elements inspired by Darkstalkers 3, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and KoF
You forgot to mention all the other anime series and characters you were "inspired" by.
>>
>>384135171
>Platform fighter that's not a Smash clone
Finally, I know dick sucking melee is the norm but not everything about it is perfect for a 1v1 system. The genre needs to be explored more than it already is.

Also consider making it not cripple players by their late 20s
>>
>>384135462
Not quite, it's kind of its own thing. There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been done in fighting games before that add more strategic depth. We also have a lot more focus into how the environment comes into play while still making it organic and balanced.

Darkstalkers 3 x Melee x Blazblue + a lot of original stuff if you want a rough image.
>>
>>384135595
>not perfect for 1v1
elaborate
>>
>>384135171
>>384135706
You're the only person working on this? An ideaguy?
>>
>>384135838
Nope.
>>
File: Aoko_mbaa.png (38KB, 301x419px) Image search: [Google]
Aoko_mbaa.png
38KB, 301x419px
I wonder if my taste in character designs is getting worse if I'm really liking the simpler designs from Melty Blood and UNIEL so much more than the newer shit.
>>
>>384136083
Well you're being pretty vague about your team size. On your blog I don't see anything other than your /beg/ character art.
>>
>>384136198
Simple designs are always the best. Over designed characters generally only have limited appeal and go out of fashion quick.

Simple designs usually give a clearer message that is easier to adapt. Plus to gain appeal they have to get the basics right.
>>
File: med.png (273KB, 971x971px) Image search: [Google]
med.png
273KB, 971x971px
>>384136730
You know it bro
>>
File: tumblr_nq8ws0v8ul1r1n358o2_1280.jpg (36KB, 733x587px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nq8ws0v8ul1r1n358o2_1280.jpg
36KB, 733x587px
>>384136854
TF2's designs are deceptively simple, whereas something like >>384136198 is simple to a fault in my opinion. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that Melty Blood design, but it's as barebones as you can get without it being a mannequin you can dress up. The cast of TF2 have simpler features compared to a lot of other characters in hero/class/team based games, but the features they have tell you everything you need to know about the characters, and the stylized anatomy takes it further to give you an immediate idea of who they are. All of this shines through the animation as well.

TF2 is kind of pushing it with its appeal, if they stylized it further it might turn off some people who got into it. I've seen people fling shit Gigantic's way because it's "ugly", but their lack of articulation just leads me to believe they're not fans of the style since those comments are never backed up with anything. The cartoonier you get with this stuff the higher you risk alienating certain audiences.
>>
File: 1413745253504.jpg (213KB, 1600x881px) Image search: [Google]
1413745253504.jpg
213KB, 1600x881px
>>384137468
Yeah melty blood designs are pretty repetitive. They're like all background characters from a light novel. Doesn't help the cast is like half clones.
>>
File: 1488061196962.png (278KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1488061196962.png
278KB, 354x367px
>>384120764
so, what is it?
>>
>>384138570
It's Standalone, reskinned Project M
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (142KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
142KB, 1000x1000px
I'm playing the green bitch.
>>
>>384138919
>literally green Zarya

This needs to stop.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>384139086
If only you know how much of the shit you love directly ripping off from something else, you'd lose your mind.
>>
>>384138919
Post more of the characters, I'm really not liking what I see so far.
>>
>>384139349
No, Zarya is just a shit. There is a difference between being inspired and following a formula
>>
>>384139349
At least copy good muscle girls, that bitch is fucking disgusting.
>>
Who /zhurong/ here?
>>
>>384139837
is she Link or Marth?
I wanted Marth to be and M2K lookalike
>>
File: 1499568368544.gif (1MB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499568368544.gif
1MB, 266x200px
>>384120764

these characters look like boring SJW fodder
>>
File: xa.png (692KB, 1263x669px) Image search: [Google]
xa.png
692KB, 1263x669px
>>384139086
She's cute though. Zarya is also cute.
>>384139397
But I don't care about the others.
>>
>>384139991
The website describes her as "an expert swordwoman and ruler of an ancient empire." Since that almost perfectly describes Marth, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume she'll be utilizing tippers.
>>
>>384124928
I like your Not-Kamen Rider guy a lot, the rest are pretty good too
>>
>>384140142
You can barely see her muscles cause of that bland ugly outfit

What is the point of a muscle girl if I can't see her abs?
>>
File: futabacringe.png (253KB, 872x632px) Image search: [Google]
futabacringe.png
253KB, 872x632px
>>384120764
Overwatch was a mistake.
>>
>>384140458
I'd give her a Tipper if you know what I mean
>>
>>384140848
But I can see thighs and armpits.
>>
>>384141261
>thicc fag pretending to be a musclefag
I'm glad you get barely any of either, she don't even have the fat pudge over the boots

She isn't even good thicc, just stumpy fat
>>
>>384139349
That's kind of the point.
A good rip-off seems original, these are shitty ripoffs.
>>
Played it at DreamLand.
The animations are super fucking ass.
Just play Rivals instead.
>>
>>384141625
>Implying Kidd the Goat isn't the greatest piece of wordplay ever created
>>
>>384142185
I need some proof, because I'm not going back to Rivals.
>>
>>384124928
>contra x guts
>sephiroth x raiden
>onimusha x bloody roar
>nerfipitou x Felicia
>gurren rider?
Anything that's not derivative character design?
>>
>>384127075
> literally Pharah
>>
>>384141607
I like both thicc and muscle, though.
>>
>>384142313
NDA at dreamland, gameplay trailer should be out today. Check it then.

I don't blame you for not going back to rivals though. Wrastor and Maypul keep on getting buffed while Absa and Kragg are left in the dirt.

The community is pretty shitty to, if you tell them something about your character you have documented proof in, they'll call you a liar and kick you from the discord.

Fuck rivals.
Just play Melee.
>>
>>384142198
Not really Smashbaby.
>>
>>384127075
>darker C.Viper in the chozo suit
>>
>>384142614
>Based on Mango
>Mango is the GOAT
>He's also the Kid
>He also plays anthromorphic space animals
Best game ever made.
>>
>>384142468
>The community is pretty shitty to, if you tell them something about your character you have documented proof in, they'll call you a liar and kick you from the discord.

Really? The community sounded kinda comfy that's a shame
>>
>>384138919
Anti-Mage?
>>
>>384142704
>Mango is the GOAT
LOL
After yesterday Mang0 has 0 argument against Armada.
>>
>>384142704
>basic your characters off the autists who hog the scene
>not cringy as fuck

The entire game is a circlejerk of Melee, that's exactly the problem.
>>
>>384120764
>$6 million in corporate funding for a fucking Melee clone

Fucking, HOW?
>>
>>384143175
Because Melee is slowly getting fucked over by Nintendo, so a free to play alternative is their best option.
>>
>>384120764
The artstyle is looking sketchy, with any luck the it looks better in gameplay, we'll just have to wait & see
>>
>>384143175
Melee makes a lot of dosh, anon. Believe it or not it's somehow more alive than Tekken on PC via dolphin.
>>
>>384142856
Yeah, I was trying to show how easy it is to ASDI out of Absa's Smashes and they'd just called me a liar. While It happened to me twice in their weekly bracket. Wrastor would get edge-guarded by my F-smash. ASDI in, Land out of the smash, and Up special sweet spot me for a kill. I didn't record it at the time because shadow play was being a fuck, but oh well.

Two months later, I play this guy called Penguin on stream (Somewhat decent mid-high tier player) I'm on stream, because streaming is fun.
He does the some On Hit Punish to me, and I bring up the fact that the Mentor Discord (The discord literally made to teach new players the game) blatantly lied to me, and I had to apologize for bringing it up. He then continues to do the same on hit punish again and again., for recording's sake.

At that moment I dropped the game because the community was shit and I was being lied to by the people who were supposed to teach me.

Fucking Kung Pow shit right there.
>>
File: misterm2.jpg (56KB, 475x630px) Image search: [Google]
misterm2.jpg
56KB, 475x630px
>>384120764

>Xana
>Xana is slang for pussy/cunt in Portuguese
>She's green and has red hair like Blanka
>>
>>384143581
>makes a lot of dosh
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Advertiser bux for streaming is not THAT lucrative.
>>
But brawlhalla already exists?
>>
>>384144787
Brawlhalla is shit though.
>>
>>384145028
And so is this.
>>
>>384145028
how so?
>>
>>384145773
Not who you're replying to but:

>characters are very same-y
>half of the attacks work like command grabs
>random item spawns
>foaty a.f.
>bad stage design

I like the game as a party game, but it's not very good competitively
>>
>>384145773
It's more like a party game than a game tailored to 1v1 like this is and what Melee accidentally was
Not denying Brawlhalla is fun as fuck though
>>
>>384145773
Brawlhalla devs trolled the Meleefags witha faux Melee HD announcement so now they hate it.
>>
The designs are ok but fuck that god awful cel-shaded style they chose.
>>
Wow the west really cant into character designs.
>>
Melee = PM > Rivals of Eather > Brawlhalla > Smash Flash

Where will Icons fit?
>>
I thought the game was called Wavedash
>>
>>384146569
>>384146642
>but it's not very good competitively
>t's more like a party game
just like brawl huh
>>
The art style reminds me of Wildstar
>>
>>384147254
If artstyle works, between PM and rivals
If it doesn't, between rivals and brawlhalla

If they continue developing and refining it over a year, it might get better than PM. But PM has a head start.
>>
>>384147420
Thats a red sign.
>>
>>384147352
smash*
>>
File: 1484430615314.jpg (3KB, 126x124px) Image search: [Google]
1484430615314.jpg
3KB, 126x124px
>>384120764

Just off of a first impression, the name is bad. I'll withhold further judgments until I see the gameplay
>>
>>384147886
explain further
>>
File: everything-is-a-remix-568x220.jpg (39KB, 568x220px) Image search: [Google]
everything-is-a-remix-568x220.jpg
39KB, 568x220px
>>384142314
Name anything that's not derivative of something else anon.
>>
>>384147423
It has an advantage over PM in that it doesn't need to pander to fans of certain characters. It also doesn't need to be afraid to radically alter characters that were in other games, like the issue PM had with Jigglypuff.
>>
>>384148219
its not a real fighting game and playing it competitively is a joke
>>
>>384148265
True, I'll agree it doesn't have those restrictions

On the other hand they seem to be playing into the same mistakes by recreating the "archetypes" of melee
>>
brawlhallas free tho
userbase is going to be tiny if its not free
>>
>>384148353
explain further
>>
>>384148246
It's not so much a remix as it is the design equivalent of a youtube poop
>>
>>384148431
I'd agree, but looking at the cast right now we only seem to have three Melee archetypes and two characters that I'm not quite sure of.
>Kid = Fox
>Zhurong = Marth
>Ashani = Falcon
The other two I'm not quite sure of. I doubt they'll be launching with a clone, let alone two, so I'm pretty sure they're not Ganon and Falco, despite appearances.
>>
File: 1497370310765.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1497370310765.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>384120764
Looks like shit inb4 it plays like shit as well
>>
>>384131159

Quit posting your literal traced "art" of anime waifus OCs do not steal for your "game" that will never exist.

No one fucking cares.

Make your own thread and stop derailing this one.

Also your designs are fucking garbage.
And if you actually think tracing another game's art is okay because "its concept art" you have to be absolutely fucking retarded and it just goes to show how fucking amateur you are as an artist and a "game designer".

Get off your high horse.
>>
>>384124928
Make a comic!
>>
>>384148753
Ogre bitch is DK, and Gun dude is Samus.

They also said in their vlog they're doing a speedy Ninja, a floaty character (which could mean either Peach or Puff), and a Duo character.
>>
>>384148753
True, I was not as up-to-date on the character designs as I'd like. I based my comment on a developer interview they did a ways back, where they discussed the char archetypes they wanted in the game, and it was basically (if I remember correctly):

>Fox-like
>Marth-like
>Falcon-like
>Iceclimber-like
>Link-like
>Grappler
>>
>>384149064
>traced
Dog-kun is that you?
>>
>>384149463
I hate that whole "Space Animal is a fighting game archetype." It's fucking not. You can easily take all of Fox's properties and put it into a character that's not a Space furry. Fox is a Rushdown character not unlike Cammy or Noel.
>>
>>384124928
Generic and boring. Best of luck but that's what I think.
>>
>>384149565
Who?
>>
>>384149793
That's not the only thing that defines a Space Animal in Melee/PM terms.

>Rushdown
>Very fast
>Quick falling speed
>Powerful projectile
>Shine
>very combo focused

There are Rushdown characters in Smash that aren't Space Animals, like Sonic in PM.
>>
Not looking forward to this game being shilled at every Smash event in the near future.

Hopefully it dies quickly like Rivals of Aether
>>
>>384128810
late to the party but this is the only design I like so far
>>
>>384138919
Ganondorf!!
>>
>>384130709
>>384131159
wait, no this is good too.
>>
>>384150081
>Not wanting an alternative for when Melee eventually gets eradicated by Nintendo
>>
Where/when are they going to post the gamplay trailer? Any news on the beta or release date?
>>
>>384150271
Apparently gameplay is tomorrow.
>>
>>384150271
>>384150367
Gameplay reveal on evo stream right before smash 4 top8
>>
>>384150271
gameplay reveal today on evo stream after tekken 7 finals
>>
>>384150263
>implying anything can ever replace melee
If Melee didn't have Nintendo characters, it would never have the community it has now. FACTS
>>
>>384150367
>>384150443
>>384150487
Thanks.
>>
>>384150497
Almost certainly, but if this game does things OW style and focuses on porn anything is possible.
>>
Damn big green girl is a waifu.
>>
>>384150068
If Smash is a fighting game like you kiddies like to pretend it is, then use Fighting game terminology properly.

>>Rushdown
>>Very fast
>>Quick falling speed
>>Powerful projectile
>>Shine
>>very combo focused
All of those except for the shine are characteristics or Rushdown characters. "Powerful projectile" is a very lose term, Fox's Blaster isn't very strong in terms of damage output, and many Rushdown have ranged attacks, again Noel Vermillion. Shine is just a move, and in terms of properties its usefulness is mostly for setups, which again, is a tool most Rushdown characters have.

Also, Sonic is not a Rushdown character, he's a Hit and Run character, which, depending on who you ask is either a sub-category of Rushdown, or both it and Rushdown are classified under "Offensive" archetypes.
>>
>>384150610
The characters are ugly and are just worse versions of the moba/overwatch style

You have a million characters like these, but goat boy is battle born tier
>>
>>384124928

A little over complicated on the useless details (What's with the crotch lacing? Why does Guts Arnie have asymmetrical boots?) but I like it
>>
>>384150840
God I fucking love it when Smashers try and debate actual FGC players
>>
>>384150840
People still use the term "Rushdown" all of the time you fuck
It's just people also use "Space Animals" to refer to characters that are very similar to Fox, Falco, and Wolf.
>>
>>384142185
Hopefully they made them better them since then, if that's possible (I don't know anything about animation)
>>
>>384150973
I dunno the female Marth does things to me
>>
File: 1485909131312.jpg (53KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485909131312.jpg
53KB, 900x900px
>THE PLATFORM FIGHTER WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR
>icons: combat arena
>>
>>384151269
The name is the worst part.
>>
>>384150007
This autistic troll from /ic/ who spazes out over other people's art being referenced or copied. He'll sometimes make posts where he has a picture of his dog as a reaction face. I've seen posts like that on /v/ before, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy right now.
>>
>>384151013
Space Animals / Spacies = Animals from Space
Kidd the Goat:
>>Animal (Goat)
>>From Space

HOLY SHIT IT'S A SPACE ANIMAL
>>
>Icons
>Don't make decent characters
>>
Their ENTIRE market is Smash players right?

They really think that will support their entire game?
>>
>>384151454
...yes?

The entire thing is just a reference to Mango, and since Mango plays Fox...
>>
>>384120764

None of these characters outside of goat boy have some sort of giant feature that makes them stick out from one another or an interesting silhouette.

These all seem like NPCs you would find in an MMO.
>>
>>384151013
And there was no need to make their Fox ripoff a LITERAL space animal. To me, that's a red flag as it shows how little they actually know about Fighting games, and are instead gonna make a Melee rip off. Which is dumb, cause Melee already exists and is far from being tailored for competitive play.

Fox is a Rushdown character with a heavy emphasis on pressure and many deadly set ups. If the devs had looked outside of Smash, they could have come up with something way more creative to fit this type of character.
>>
>>384151685
I was just making a point regarding the Wavedash Games team following the "Space Animal Archetype" and how that doesn't necessarily have to apply to gameplay. It can purely be an aesthetic archetype choice.
>>
>>384151869
As long as they're not too obvious about the others it should be fine. The rest are similar to the inspirations for sure, but they're different enough. The green girl isn't a monkey, for example.
>>
desu, the only way Icons is going to survive is if it's copy-and-paste Melee (to an extent, basically it would be PM 4.0).

Relying on a huge game changing mechanic like super moves or w/e in a Smash clone is going to alienate people and make them uninterested IMO
>>
>>384150263
There's still hope of it being put up on the Switch VC, the gamecube adapter works on Switch so it's not a far stretch.
>>
>>384152062
Is the green girl dk?
>>
>>384151581
Pretty much, they show very little understanding of fighting games outside of Smash, and among the Smash community, only a Small subsection care about the competitive side of it, and that subsection is split between Meleefags and Smash 4 fags, and amid the Meleefags, only a portion of them are willing to drop a game they've dedicated their whole life to, to play something new.

In short, even with it being F2P, looking at the numbers, I have a hard time seeing how they'll break even to meet the 6 million they got from corporate funding. Especially with how it's looking. Don't get me wrong, surely it'll have its fans, but we're looking at a very niche subsection within a subsection. I don't see it being more successful than say RoA. Where they're hoping it'll be the next LoL or Overwatch and take the eSports scene by storm.
>>
>>384152368
Either him or Bowser. She can't be Ganon, because launching with a Captain Falcon and a Ganondorf is just silly.
>>
>>384151581
People that want a Smash like on PC that's actually fully fleshed out
>>
>>384120764
If this has All-Star and No Blastzones stamina mode, I'll check it out.
>>
>>384152554
Isn't Rivals of Aether exactly that?
>>
>>384152062

Ashani = PM Captain Falcon
Kidd The Goat = PM Wolf (very similar to Zetterburn for RoA)
Zhurong = PM Roy/Melee Marth
Xana = PM Ganondorf / PM Donkey Kong
Raymer = PM Sami (Zero Suit Samus / Snake)?

Source: Talked with drunk playtesters at Evo 2016 and known StrongBad IRL. He's an egotistical idiot who always wants his way and seeing as he's doing character design he'll most likely reuse concepts from Project M (Similar to how Trevor Youngblood, programmer of Rivals of Aether used PM Wolf as a base for RoA Zetterburn).
>>
>>384152485
Which one's SHOW ME YA MOVES?
>>
>>384152062
I guarantee you they're gonna rip move animations from Smash, like those Air Dash Online dudes did. Guarantee.

Plus, they already laid out the plan for the first 8:
C.Falcon-like
Fox-like
DK-like
Samus-like
Marth-like
Sheik-like
Puff/Peach-like
Ice Climbers-like

Those were the 8 archetypes he listed, not:
Rushdown
Zoner
Balanced
and Grappler
+ their subdivisions, but those 8.
>>
>>384152650

It would be if it was bigger and had more budget
>>
>>384152737
God I don't like Strong Bad.

I also fucking hate Warchamp, please tell me he's not involved. Hated him since his Team Avolition days
>>
>>384152737
>PM Wolf
>PM Roy

Honestly that's all I need. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't integrate the three unfinished PM characters into it, but whatever.
>>
>>384152737
But is it good? I'm starting to lose faith in this project. I thought the gameplay would save it, but if everything is a PM clone, well...
>>
>>384152792
That is a bit strange, I'll give you that.
>>
>>384152835
I'm fairly certain Warchamp is on board but IDK what he's doing if anything for the game itself. I think he at least did the website design for "icons.gg"?
>>
>>384152835
Warchamp is involved, yes.
>>
>>384153041
>>384153049
I'm out then
>>
>>384152737
>He's an egotistical idiot who always wants his way and seeing as he's doing character design he'll most likely reuse concepts from Project M (Similar to how Trevor Youngblood, programmer of Rivals of Aether used PM Wolf as a base for RoA Zetterburn).
Dead on fucking arrival. If I wanna play PM, I'll play PM. So basically, this is their way of getting PM back into the tourney scene isn't it. Did they really think it'd get that big?
>>
>>384153237
Honestly, since PM died I've been waiting for a game with actual support and a way to make revenue.

If this is just a PM clone that isn't shackled by stupid bullshit I'll be mostly happy.
>>
>>384153349
I'd be happy if the character designs didn't look like ass.
>>
>>384153349
But I only played PM to play as Solid Snake
>>
>>384120764

I think they're grossly underestimating how much the Nintendo roster drives the popularity of Melee, even on the competitive side. They could have great character design and it would still struggle. This weird, puritan overwatch knockoff look isn't going to do them any favors.
>>
>>384152389
Eh you never know depends on how they market it. People keep saying this is a Smash rival but as F2P they're really going after Brawlhalla.
>>
>>384153429
I like Marth with boobs and Asahni's designs.

Since the game is F2P with cosmetics, I would expect us to get redesigns for all of the other characters, so I'm not too worried about them.
>>
>>384153349
I thought they were making a competitive platform fighting game, not a PM clone.
>>
>>384153513

You're going to love Filled Reptile then
>>
>>384153563
This.

Also, what's with that fucking logo? It's near identical to the Overwatch logo. Did they really think it was a great idea to show their game off to the public in this state?
>>
File: DD6bOikW0AEiKvH.jpg (59KB, 542x689px) Image search: [Google]
DD6bOikW0AEiKvH.jpg
59KB, 542x689px
>>384153665
According to the Dev's AMA it's going to be structured like League of Legends with a "Free Fighter Rotation" and you can either unlock or pay to have access certain characters at all times. Paid cosmetics are definitely confirmed though (eg. USA skin for Kidd)
>>
>>384153825
Presumably it'll be different enough, and once they get the necessities out of the way they'll move on to different stuff. Probably. Hopefully.
>>
>>384153892
Kek.
>>
>>384154008
That was a year ago. They addressed the community's concerns with that system and said they re-thought it.
>>
>>384154008
Doesn't seem like too bad of a system if they can throw out characters quick enough.

Hopefully they'll integrate Knuckles/Lyn/Issac at some point m
>>
>>384154132
Did they say anything specific of how the new system will be or are they just saying they will consider alternatives (and presumably ignore them)?
>>
>>384154021
Not with Strongbad on the team and in lead of design.
>>
File: 1X7QUTh.png (142KB, 371x440px) Image search: [Google]
1X7QUTh.png
142KB, 371x440px
>>384120764
No Yoshi facsimile, no buy.

Also could they have homogenized the game's aesthetic any further to make it blend in with every other esports and mobile popular game? Like holy shit. Why would you handicap your game like this?

Still, long as the gameplay's good I'll buy.
>>
>>384154347
>go to tournament
>can't play your main without paying
>>
>>384154393
They just said they're looking at different F2P models and aren't sure about it yet. That was at their SuperSmashCon panel last year, and they haven't said anything since.
>>
>>384154537
I would assume that they'll have a different system at tourneys.

But wait a FUCKING minute. Does that mean there's not an online mode? I need that shit.
>>
>>384154631
There is online: ranked and casual.
>>
>>384154631
>>384154631
>>
>>384154537
I'd imagine it'll have something like Rivals where there's a "Tournament Mode" that auto-unlocks everyone. I doubt special cosmetics would be auto-unlocked though.
>>
File: 1488511267257.png (45KB, 123x137px) Image search: [Google]
1488511267257.png
45KB, 123x137px
>>384123747
Who cares?, gameplay is what matters. I hope it is good
>>
>>384154861
Yep, just waiting for that trailer in 2.5 hours.
>>
>>384124928
Looks like Evil Zone so Im already digging it.
>>
If they can get on console and pay the big Melee players to stream it for a week they'll probably be able to get a big enough player base.
>>
>>384154861
Gamefeel > Gameplay IMO.
If the game doesn't feel good to look at and play then it's going to be shit. Part of the reason Melee has standed the test of time is that it still looks good despite it being 15 years old and it sounds good too. Connecting something like Falcon's Knee and hearing BWWWSSHHHH as the souls of your opponents sink is so satisfying.
>>
>>384155098
Oh, game feel for sure. But the way the characters and logo look in general don't contribute to that.
>>
File: 1488232314976.jpg (276KB, 1366x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1488232314976.jpg
276KB, 1366x1025px
>>384155098
I thought you were talking about the character design. I agree, but still gameplay > sound and effects
>>
>>384155098
My favorite part of Melee's gamefeel is all the non-tournament stages.

When I hear foxes on legal stages it reminds me of comp melee, but when I hear characters like Link on a stage like Pokefloats? Instant nostalgia
>>
>>384154861
if the character design is sjw I simply can´t enjoy a game regardless of how good the gameplay is
>>
>>384153563
>I think they're grossly underestimating how much the Nintendo roster drives the popularity of Melee
But Anon. Characters are just functions.
Wait.
>Wavedash Online Teaser Trailer
Oh, missed my thread.
>>
File: 1493790280079.jpg (28KB, 549x442px) Image search: [Google]
1493790280079.jpg
28KB, 549x442px
>>384155440
Smash 4 is two blocks away, buddy
>>
>>384124928
looks okay
you need to add a weird guy in there like faust/yoshimitsu
>>
>>384155301
I am. Character designs need to look nice as well (they don't really stand out right now), but the game should sound good too. Sames should be satisfying to look at and play. Skullgirls is a great example of this.
>>
>>384155867

>>384155743
>>
>>384155867
If looks are so important, why does Melee get more viewers than Smash 4?
>>
>>384120764
Why is rivals the only smash clone with good character design?

If it wasn't pixelshit I feel like it would be a bit more popular.
>>
>>384156197
Melee looks better.
>>
>>384155867
Oh man, Skullgirls is gorgeous. I also agree, if visuals and audio didn't matter, Xrd wouldn't be like it is.

Guilty Gear is Guilty Gear cause of its heavy metal aesthetic, heavy metal tracks, and heavy metal music references. It also being one of the best fighting games ever made is just the cherry on top.

Hell, DBFZ's claim to fame is the characters and how faithful the visuals are to the anime.

The amount of money and effort ASW spends on creating their visuals just goes to show how important it is. If this wasn't the case, they would have done simple 3D models for Xrd, and then been able to charge for cosmetics.
>>
>>384124928
The 2 next to the middle guy are good,scrap everything else
>>
>>384156197
Mechanics, hype, and competitive legacy.

For clarification I'm not saying the aesthetics of a game are the only thing that really attribute to a game's success and presence in eSports scenes, but they definitely help to some extent.
>>
>this is the state of modern Western character designs
>>
>>384156197
the character design is still the same
good character design can help overcome bad graphics
>>
No gameplay? That doesn't sound good.
>>
>>384157172
Gameplay should be either today or tomorrow.
>>
>>384124928

Characters that intricate are gonna be a bitch to animate, don't do this to yourself
>>
>>384127927
Relax dude. This is basically an indie project. If it kicks off, i bet the characters will be redesigned
>>
>>384160150
Don't they already have 6m in corporate funding?
>>
>>384160150
It's not an indie project anymore,

My project is an indie project, solo deving and commissioned all my shit. They got like a 6 mil cooperate funding deal
>>
>>384160746
What are you working on anon?
>>
>>384160931
I reached out to the wavedash guys 2 years ago with my project and they just never answered me.

So i started developing my own-platform fighter.

I'm further in development then they are, but i'm just a programmer. My characters suffer from bad visual design but my gameplay is all there.

Of all the people that playtested only 2 complained about the actual gameplay feeling.
>>
>>384161284
Is it Melee Masters?
>>
>>384161284
Oh, are you that guy making that other Smash clone? Melee Masters wasn't it? I think I remember you from a previous thread.
>>
>>384161284
I reached out to them for art direction about two years as well, but they also ignored my message.
>>
>>384161726
>>384161717

Yea.

I'm making a new build for the demo at the moment. Improved the audio a lot (now based off of hitstun/attack falloff so it feels better for moves with falloff).

>>384161875
I've found lots of people in the smash community are pretty disrespectful professionally. A lot of people just don't answer.
>>
>>384124057
This is my thought exactly. Why even bother making this game? It's going to be compared to Melee and bias won't even let this game have a chance to overtake it.
Besides that, the characters look like something out of Paladins or Overwatch. They should be completely redesigned.
>>
>>384162305
>Why even bother making this game?

So that they can support it competitively. Nintendo doesn't do anything for its games.
>>
>>384162141
Mind if I ask, what's your goal with your game? Are you aiming for the same crowd as the Wavedash guys with a Smash clone? Or is it its own thing?

I remember you told me last thread it was just you, and seeing what I've seen, its an impressive amount of work for just one person. Congrats.
>>
>>384162305
Because (In my opinion) Melee is on it's way out. I believe almost all "tech" has been discovered and it will only be a matter of time before people lose interest. With no tech left to discover, characters will NEVER more up or down in relevancy, there is no patch, no new characters, nothing.

This was my whole reason for making Melee Masters. Adhere to the melee playstyle and mechanics as much as possible but give it competitive support with balancing, new characters ect.

>>384162864
I'm a competitive person.

Not to jerk myself off but I play almost all competitive PC games and I'm very good at them. Diamond in sc2, hit D1 in league, top 500 in OW, (didn't play dota, only played like 20 hours to 3k). I even played MvC and SFV.

I, in my opinion, and the ideal person to be directing a competitive game because I understand the competitive community in a way that the vast majority of game-dev's do not. I see the balance issues, I know when an issue just needs a meta adjustment or the character is actually broken (see the opposite: hearthstone). I feel I can give the communtiy what they want in terms of changes on a competitive level to keep the game fresh.

Where i'm lacking is the other end, people like good characters, fun interesting designs, good presentation ect and I can't focus on all that with all the programming, animation and everything else that needs to be done. To me I like the characters I've made. They may not be visually interesting but they are all fun to play (for me, at least). I've been hunting for animators and character designers but unfortunately due to these guy ramping up their presence, I'm going to have to expedite the process which means burning all cash that would have went to design/animation in preparation for crowdfunding.
>>
>>384163801
>unfortunately due to these guy ramping up their presence, I'm going to have to expedite the process which means burning all cash that would have went to design/animation in preparation for crowdfunding.

Why do you say that? Just take your time. "character platform" fighting games are niche anyways, the only other competition you have on the indie side is really these Wavedash guys and Rivals of Aether.
>>
>>384163801
I remember I said I was gonna message you like a month back, and I totally forgot dude, sorry about that. I think there's a few things you and I could talk about privately. I'm gonna hit you up with a PM. Your email is on your site, right?

Well, that is, if you like my character designs. I've posted them here:
>>384131159
>>384130709
>>384128810
>>384127961
>>384124928
There's a lot I haven't mentioned /v/ which gives me a major promotional edge over all the competition. There's an intentional reason as to why some characters look derrivative. If you're interested, I can hit you up.
>>
File: 1499198115257.png (77KB, 216x151px) Image search: [Google]
1499198115257.png
77KB, 216x151px
>>384120764
The artstyle and character designs are so fucking generic; that alone is enough to kill any interest I could've had for this game.
>>
>>384164379
I feel I have to beat them to the market, otherwise There's no way I can compete with their budget.

I mean I've had pro's play at events, GIMR himself told me my game plays really well. When I asked about wavedash he said it's not quite there yet. (this was 1 month ago). SO likely I feel I still have them beat with gameplay, but that only matters if the game is actually out. I don't have the advertizing budget to sponsor EVO with professionally made videos/CGI/animation so I really feel I need to put everything into presenting the game in the best possible light now so that with crowdfunding support I will be able to compete in terms of character design/presentation.

Idk i'd compare the race to the race of Overwatch vs. Battleborn. Battleborn actually came out first but overwatch went fucking ballistic on advertisement and it was just more hyped. But i feel if battleborn came out more than just a few weeks earlier, it would have done better. I feel that where me and wavedash are in terms of competition.

>>384164631
I know, I sent you an email as well which you didn't answer. I believe it was the email from your tumblr or I sent you a message on there directly.
>>
>>384165070
>I know, I sent you an email as well which you didn't answer. I believe it was the email from your tumblr or I sent you a message on there directly
Oh, I never got it man, sorry about that. I figured you weren't interested. I'm gonna send you one right now, lemme know if you get it.
>>
>>384165070
Battleborn failed because it was a shit game and honestly, the character designs were bad. It's also hard to compete with fucking Blizzard of all companies when they release an online/competitive game.

I think as long as your gameplay is decent and you have fun/varied character designs that don't feel like they're boring or ripped off from somewhere, it will probably do well.
>>
File: designs.png (201KB, 1863x1004px) Image search: [Google]
designs.png
201KB, 1863x1004px
>>384120764
>>
File: 1326923295666.jpg (26KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
1326923295666.jpg
26KB, 436x436px
The direction Smash took post-Melee is just strange to me, but I've never been too invested in Melee in the first place

even completely ignoring emergent gameplay like wavedashing, dramatically slowing fall speed, ditching jump momentum, introducing intrusive variance (tripping, obviously removed later), an abundance of stages with hazards that demand more attention than the active players themselves, and juicing the hell out of defensive options legitimately seems like a conscious attempt to make a game worse as course correction to players who were apparently mistaken to invest in it

it sincerely rubs off as almost hostile
>>
>>384167750
Brawl felt like a personal insult to melee desu.

an actual "fuck off" from Sakurai
>>
File: 1445928078903.jpg (56KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1445928078903.jpg
56KB, 800x450px
>>384163801

Was your game the one with that guy who can basically swap between himself and a shadowy aura? The one with Ultimates too?

if so, those were pretty great and ultimates/supers seems like a natural addition to a game like Smash (obviously power akin to Wario Waft and KO Punch, not Final Smashes)

that shadow-swapping thing is what i imagined Gengar would be like in Smash, since ghosts and shadows havent been touched yet thematically or gameplay wise and hes an enormously popular figure in Nintendos catalog
>>
>>384168714
Yup on both accounts. I didn't want Ultimates to be press button -> kill enemy but when used properly they should result in a kill.
>>
>>384169045
Shit that webm got fucked. and the post-processing has been immensely improved since then.
>>
>All these smash clones coming out or finishing development
guess I shouldn't even bother then
>>
>>384169568

you had 16 years, anon
>>
File: Community Council.png (691KB, 1366x4526px) Image search: [Google]
Community Council.png
691KB, 1366x4526px
>>384120764
>Warchamp killed Project M for this shit
>>
File: thx Furry mafia.png (618KB, 700x725px) Image search: [Google]
thx Furry mafia.png
618KB, 700x725px
>>384132990
>the furries need work
not a good idea
>>
Gameplay reveal is coming up in less than an hour. Let's see how good this is.
>>
The aesthetic is shit and a huge mistake but I'm excited to see gameplay.

I love Melee but it's a game that's in desperate need of a sequel.
>>
Too lazy to read the thread.

Aren't they showing off gameplay on evo stream after this grand finals set ends?

Also name is beyond fucking TERRIBLE and generic and the logo is overwatch rip off.
>>
>>384172317
Yes
>>
I heard the game needs a lot of polishing. If it looks like shit can we laugh about it here?
>>
>>384120764
>Blizzard-tier generic designs
This shit is going to flop pretty bad
>>
>>384172317
I don't understand how you can go through the trouble of making a game and then half-ass a title
>Icons
ok
>Combat Arena
and a shitty subtitle
at least go with something that shows up on google
>>
>>384172419
I think it will look polished but it will get shit on for either: not being enough like smash and/or looking too much like league of legends.
>>
>>384172460
>>384172958

I'm beginning to think that the designs are like that due to the investors
>>
There are probably not going to be any cute girl characters. Shits gonna be ugly.
>>
File: 1497484973169.gif (1MB, 312x176px) Image search: [Google]
1497484973169.gif
1MB, 312x176px
>Names game Icons

>All characters are "original", not iconic at all
>>
>>384173884
There's a strong powerful black womyn character and a cute petite chink.
>>
>>384173884
not-Marth seems pretty cute
there's not-Falcon and not-Dorf if you like muscle girls
>>
File: ded.png (17KB, 960x468px) Image search: [Google]
ded.png
17KB, 960x468px
Has twitch shit itself or is it just me?
>>
File: 3073462-6780343819-Peezl.jpg (71KB, 707x500px) Image search: [Google]
3073462-6780343819-Peezl.jpg
71KB, 707x500px
>>384120764
Project M died for this
>>
>>384174594
I'm seeing multiple reports of this. I'm fine here, but something is up.
>>
>>384174748
Might be dependent on your server/location.
Is the evo stream still up?
>>
>>384120764
The designs are probably a bad idea. They need to look back at Nintendo and figure out what about them worked so well. Nintendo characters most always seem to have a gimmick, and none of these characters seem to have a gimmick they have been designed around so far.
>>
Oh god the clunky animations
>>
This looks awful.
>>
>literally having to copy paste smash animations
Stop fucking doing this you hack frauds jesus
>>
>>384120764
>F2P

loooooool
>>
Not bad. Looks like a cartoon.
>>
>>384175824
Link to gameplay?
>>
So I waited half an hour for this and twitch goes down for me 5 minutes before and apparently it's shit too. Woop.
>>
It looks like complete shit
>>
Did I miss it?
>>
They just put it up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVdoDlsN-A
>>
>>384120764
>ex-EA

Why are there five or so games being made by "ex-EA/ex-Bioware" all with a similar garbage artstyle and generic looking gameplay?
>>
>>384175746
Well it is pre-alpha footage and the beta is not for a few months.
>>
>space goat fox
>SJW Ganon/Falcon
>Chinese laser marth
at least try to be new like RoA
>>
>to this day Melee is still the best looking game competitively

Jesus fucking christ. I feel like I've underestimated how much work Sakurai put into the game, gameplay wise it's great but it's mostly an accident, but visually wise the game is a sight to behold. I can't believe Marth and Fox look better in Melee than that garbage.
>>
>horrible sound effects
>that horrible music
>trash character designs

How can meleefags even compete.
>>
>>384175746
For real. I was expecting some high quality shit but MY animations look on par with that.

And i'm a programmer.

>>384176362
I have infinitely more respect for the game developers after reverse engineering melee.
>>
Looks absolutely awful
>>
ass turd cartoony artstyle, dropped
>>
File: 1457103550928.gif (64KB, 360x357px) Image search: [Google]
1457103550928.gif
64KB, 360x357px
>>384176304
Good lord that looks terrible. Why can't anyone besides Hackurai make a decent platform fighter?
>>
>shit animations
>f2p
>almost 1-1 clones of the melee characters
>>
>>384163801
>Because (In my opinion) Melee is on it's way out. I believe almost all "tech" has been discovered and it will only be a matter of time before people lose interest. With no tech left to discover, characters will NEVER more up or down in relevancy, there is no patch, no new characters, nothing.
>
>This was my whole reason for making Melee Masters. Adhere to the melee playstyle and mechanics as much as possible but give it competitive support with balancing, new characters ect.
Nice, you have no idea about melee and the community. No wonder you made such a shit game.
>>
If they improve the animations and add more impactful sound effects I'll try it out. Girl Marth looks OK.
>>
File: 9.jpg (84KB, 674x666px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
84KB, 674x666px
Super dissapointed in the gameplay and sound, fucking awful.
>>
LOL what shirt
>>
>>384120764

> copy paste smash mechanics

> steal Overwatch designs

> lack the charm and polish of either game

Looks legitimately terrible.
>>
>>384176563
Rivals of Aether is really good and the community just never gave it a chance because muh nintendo cocksucking
>>
>>384176362
For real. Holy shit I thought some melee animations can look kinda clunky but god damn it was a million years ago and it still is smooth and aged pretty well. How is a game in 2017 lag behind this much? Bunch of hacks.
>>
File: png.png (165KB, 795x783px) Image search: [Google]
png.png
165KB, 795x783px
which pros username are you going to steal
>>
So is this the game that can finally call itself the true successor of Melee?

Will we see a migration of the community once it releases?
>>
>>384176603
dog have you even played my game.
>>
>>384176304
It looks like absolute dogshit. Poor man's PM. The graphics are WORSE than Smash 3DS, and the animations are super bad. Not only that, but LITERALLY stealing ENTIRE movesets from Smash, is that even fucking legal? Like taking one or two moves, totally fine, but this is like a direct rip.

How the fuck did they get 6mil in corporate backing?
>>
>those sounds
>the characters and the maps are rendered so they look completely different
Looks okay. But the lack of a good title or anything setting it apart from Melee was a mistake.
>>
File: 410.jpg (51KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
410.jpg
51KB, 680x680px
>>384176304
Jesus fucking Christ, what is this?
>>
File: 1446406215936.jpg (21KB, 300x316px) Image search: [Google]
1446406215936.jpg
21KB, 300x316px
>>384176304
>those hit sounds
Did they drop a mic into a pillow and start punching it or something? That sounds awful and grating after just a bit
Also did they forget to add a sound effect at 0:15?
>>
>>384176656
That was for sure the worst part. Awful sound effects, no oomph
>>
ahahahaha people really think they can top Sakurai?
>>
This looks like absolute garbage. Cheap-ass indie smash clone.
>>
File: 1455832148370.jpg (9KB, 302x225px) Image search: [Google]
1455832148370.jpg
9KB, 302x225px
>has those odd looking knockback physics and shit sounds that Rivals of Aether has, except in 3D
Looks pretty shit desu. Hopefully by the time they release it it will actually look pleasing but this just looked clunky.

Will probably have roughly the same success as Rivals, but won't take over melee
>>
>>384176304
Looks like trash
>>
>>384176304
The Marth clone looks real smooth. Sounds and character designs could use some work though, yeah. But I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
>>384177087
It's not indie though, they have $6 million in corporate funding.
>>
>>384176563
Powerstone was good asshole
>>
File: Screenshot_20170717_014029.png (14KB, 510x77px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170717_014029.png
14KB, 510x77px
>>
It looks like complete shit. Just when I thought the art direction was the only bad thing.
>that Overwatch knockoff logo
Holy shit.
>>
>f2p
this is going to end up like Rising Thunder
that thing fucked off after a few months
I think they where bought by the League people
>>
>>384177278
>they have $6 million in corporate funding
by who?
>>
>>384177278
>$6 million
This is why real talent and passion will always triumph holy shit. Sick of this shit happening where they have all the resources except for actual talent.
>>
>>384176362

> t. melee autist

You can hate the other smashes all you want, but there is no denying that they look better.
>>
>>384177369
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN!!
>>
>>384176304

Is it just me or do the character designs give off a strong Dreamworks vibe? The faunus thing in particular.
>>
PM died for this.
>>
Gameplay reveal is honestly pretty disappointed. Looks really slow and those hit sfx are atrocious.

Hopefully it's still just in the alpha phase and they're looking for community feedback from the reveal and upcoming beta. So far though the designs and gameplay are falling short for me which is fucking heartbreaking because I want a new Smash game to play and Nintendo sure as fuck isn't gonna give me one.
>>
>>384176752
I gave it a chance and it sucks. Get over it.
>>
>>384176772
>How is a game in 2017 lag behind this much
You're talking about game developers that literally began developing on the NES and by the time Melee released had more than 15 years of experience on their backs, people who always worked together under a strict japanese totalitarian management.
Some neckbeards still hung on a 16 years old game can't compare.
>>
>>384177369
he's not wrong
I don't even think it looks that bad for how far along it is in development, but the fact that it is literally just melee movesets is horrible

melee already exists, remaking the top tier characters as not-nintendo characters with the same moves is insanely stupid
>>
>>384177570
You can't tell me the Marth clone looks slow.
>>
File: 1451138260332.jpg (244KB, 1900x1426px) Image search: [Google]
1451138260332.jpg
244KB, 1900x1426px
It looks ok-ish. The biggest problems are how plain it is and those awful hitsounds. That's polish type stuff though. The generic names and characters aren't really helping either. In all it's not terrible but is a disappointing reveal
>>
>>384120764
That ram or whatever it is looks really stupid. Why couldn't they get a bird or something?
>>
>>384177767
She does though.

>>384177701
>melee already exists, remaking the top tier characters as not-nintendo characters with the same moves is insanely stupid
fucking THIS! What the fuck man?
>>
>>384178018
Dat ain't Falco.
>>
>>384177767
Compared to Marth she certainly does.

It looks like they wanted to slow down the gameplay to a middle ground between Sm4sh and Melee to appeal to both groups but it's going to wind up appealing to neither. Everything about this so far seems like a huge mistake. The designs are designed to be as generic and "accessible" as possible, the gameplay also seems like it's dumbed down and slowed down for the same reason, nothing about it looks like it has any reason to play it over Melee or even Sm4sh for that matter.
>>
>>384178018
It's a goat. It's supposed to be a reference to Mang0, a big deal Melee fighter who they called the "Kid." They also called him the "GOAT". A Kidd is a young goat. Get it?
>>
>>384177570
As much as I want them to fail so I could succeed, speeding the game up (depending on which engine they are using) Is actually very easy. The lack of VFX though and hit-lag looked questionable. If they focus right a lot of what you mentioned could be fixed in 2 weeks. (at least, that's how long it took me). Maybe working with a team and investors and bureaucracy is slowing them down but I'm not sure.

If you want a new smash game to play you can try the Melee Masters demo and see if it fits your fancy. Character designs are shit, I know, but the gameplay is there.

>>384178018
I've got an owl :v)
>>
this looks awful
>>
What's with the retarded names? Do they expect people to remember shit like Zhana and Ashani? Part of what made Nintendo characters memorable was their memorable names.
>>
>>384177701
>melee already exists, remaking the top tier characters as not-nintendo characters with the same moves is insanely stupid
You now understand what most people think of Melee-only players.
>>
>>384176752
RoA characters are so boring in the first place, pure hot garbage. Same as this Wavedash shit, shitty Overmeme like characters.
>>
>>384178165
That's certainly as clever as their gameplay
>>
>>384178276
>RoA's characters are boring
>What is Kragg

Kragg is a giant rolling ball man who spends all of his time rolling up and down a wall and throwing rocks at birds.
>>
>anticipated indie game recreating a popular existing game turns out to be shit

Where have I seen this before?

This has never happened before multiple times right?
>>
>>384178150
I think ya all are overreacting, It doesn't look that slow to me. The people who made this are obviously big melee fanboys, they wouldn't fuck up such a vital part of the game. I will give you the character design though, definetely feels bland and SJWish.
>>
>>384178165
We know, it is stupid to anyone but the most dedicated fanboy
>>
Right now there's literally no reason to not play PM over this, except for maybe tourney eligibility and streaming.

They didn't even do anything with Knuckles/Lyn/Isaac like I thought they would.

>>384178424
At least this isn't a Kickstarter. It has 6m in funding, though, so I don't know what the fuck they're doing.
>>
>>384178424
>turns out to be shit
>says this with literally no gameplay shown
fuck off retard
>>
Everything looks awful the character design and sounds being the worst
>>
>>384120764
Design is shit. Looks like OW combined with Battleborne... AKA: SMNC
>>
>>384178763
>thread discussing the gameplay trailer that was just shown
>>
File: 1386616023368.jpg (14KB, 399x299px) Image search: [Google]
1386616023368.jpg
14KB, 399x299px
>ArcSys saves Mahvel
>Proceeds to unite all of anime fightan together
I am begging you, save Smash next . Use your nipponese magic
>>
Never been a huge fan of any smash game. I like it casually though.

But this game just looks like a smash clone, but with worse animations, worse graphics/art style, kind of lazy or like.. stilted I guess animations, clone characters, etc.

Why not just play more melee? Or PM? OR Smash 4 over this?
>>
>>384177536
Oh god
>>
Honestly, I'd just start over from scratch. Ditch literally everything and make something original that isn't a copy-paste of Melee with horrible animations and laughable "sound design".
>>
>>384178870
There was no gameplay shown. The gameplay comes tomorrow. The trailer literally says this and the OP literally says
>no gameplay
>>
>>384178948
The game right now is just reskinned PM with less content
>>
>Being a PM player right now
This actually hurts fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>384179038
Anon, read the thread. They just showed off another trailer. >>384176304
>>
File: 1387890117208.gif (566KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1387890117208.gif
566KB, 300x300px
>>384178796
>OW combined with Battleborne
The left is clearly inspired by the spacies and the right by Samus/Captain Falcon. OW didn't invent power suits, and SMNC came out before both OW and BB.
>>
>>384179038
You stupid nigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVdoDlsN-A
>>
>>384179038

>>384176304
Now shut the fuck up
>>
>>384179038
Nigger, another trailer just showed up
>>
>>384179195
Samus and Cap Falcon don't look like shit.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (42KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
42KB, 800x682px
Why did they have to go for the Overwatch aesthetics?
>>
DAILY REMINDER THAT AN EA EXECUTIVE OF MARKETING FOUNDED WAVEDASH GAMES
>>
File: 1490489387836.jpg (250KB, 1042x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1490489387836.jpg
250KB, 1042x1020px
>>384179374
>>
>>384179223
>Lady Marth does a perfect Nair into Fair into Dair
Wow she's literally Marth
>>
>>384179374
Because overwatch is just moba aesthetics and an ex riot artist is working on this
>>
>>384178948
I'll defend them in the same way I defend my own game.

Modern is basically it.

Why play melee when your favorite character will always be a dog shit unviable character? why play melee alone in your room because there is no online mode, and your friends all have jobs/lives of their own. Melee and smash 4 are never getting new characters, pm is never getting new characters (by the official devs at least). You have to use a gamecube controller for melee, and you have to play smash 4 on the wii-u. That same controller has no customization except for "tap jump off" to the point where people like HAX are putting arduinos in their controllers to make them operate how they should with basic customization.

Easier online play build for the game rather than melee netplay which was never intended (although the dolphin dev's did a very good job with the netcode).
>>
So how come no other game copied melee gameplay before?

>because there was no audience for it and no money

Exactly.
>>
File: 1433737670027.jpg (58KB, 933x521px) Image search: [Google]
1433737670027.jpg
58KB, 933x521px
>>384179223
>>384179189
>>384179227
This gameplay looks fine though? The audio and animations look like they need work (probably because it's unfinished), but the physics and combat looks basically like Melee. This just seems like a kneejerk reaction to people who don't know that game trailers can have unfinished assets.

The art-style looks like PS All-Stars though, which isn't good IMO. It would've been cool if it was more cartooney than Smash 4, with an art-style like Gigantic or an ArcSys game
>>
File: 1499978611707.jpg (297KB, 797x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499978611707.jpg
297KB, 797x600px
maybe despite it's obvious lack of polish, awful sounds and sub-par art direction it'll still have good gameplay
>tfw that happens
>tfw it still fails to bring in a significant player base and dies in a month
>>
>>384179642
>why play melee alone in your room because there is no online mode
net play
>>
>>384179038
I'd tell you to kill yourself but it's honestly crueler for you to just go on living out your life being this stupid.
>>
>>384179739
Anon, the issue is that the characters look near identical to their PM equivalents, except worse.

Why would I ever play this over PM or Melee?
>>
>>384179716
>no audience
I mean, look at melee's streaming numbers. every tournament is going up. but I agree there probably isn't that much money in it.

I'm really not in it for money. I just want to be able to play a melee-type game on my PC with online play, so i'm making it.

>>384179847
cumbersome to set up but netplay has solved a lot of melee's "practice" problems, I'll give you that. But it's by no means perfect, there aren't any integrated leaderboards or other common online capabilities (like steam integration ect)
>>
Couldn't come up with a stupider title for a game even if I tried.
>>
>>384179716
Because every game that has tried has failed in a different way.
>>
>>384180094
>Why would I ever play this over PM or Melee?
Because some of the devs are PM people and PM had to stop development.
>>
>>384178165
He looks gross, if you want to do animal people do it right and not some gross human hybrid
>>
>>384179760
It's pre-alpha footage. Of course it's not polished.
>>
6 MILLION DOLLARYDOOS
>>
I can't believe they thought this shit was actually okay to show?

They should have waited til Big House or Genesis Jesus Christ
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-16+at+07.07.29).png (1MB, 927x478px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-16+at+07.07.29).png
1MB, 927x478px
>>384180498
>>
>>384180638
Am I supposed to be shocked a game early in development has clipping?
>>
File: 1422863470365.gif (406KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1422863470365.gif
406KB, 300x225px
No anime cuties, no buy. The only decent looking character is Not-Marth, until you realize her outfit is a recolored Marth skin with zero feminine appeal. Everyone else is just ugly.
>>
File: hoo-hah....webm (3MB, 632x448px) Image search: [Google]
hoo-hah....webm
3MB, 632x448px
>>384180094
Because PM is dead and Melee is becoming stale while also being dead in terms of support. I honestly don't see why anyone who liked PM/Melee would be opposed to someone making a spiritual successor when Nintendo literally shits on the faces of Meleefags, and especially PMfags. This game is clearly WIP and the video says there's going to be a beta in which I assume they'll take plenty of feedback like with PM and its multiple changes to characters throughout the years.

I'll support this game so that it develops to become better just like Project M did. If you remember, Project M started out as a project only to bring Melee Fox to Brawl and turned into something much better.
>>
The graphics are literally PS2 tier.
>>
>>384180854
That's going too far. It's PS3 tier, maybe 3DS.
>>
File: 1447467175632.png (275KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1447467175632.png
275KB, 1024x576px
>>384180638
Even every Smash game has terrible clipping too. Roy's feet clip into the ground in this picture, although less prevalent.
>tfw haven't touched Smash in years but still have my Smash folder for some reason
>>
>>384177474
They managed to nab some investors.
>>
>>384179093
Why would it hurt? It's funny seeing that the devs decided to make a Brawlout clone after the C&D
>>
File: 1418627305760.jpg (21KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1418627305760.jpg
21KB, 576x432px
>Icons: Combat Arena
Good job coming up with a generic shitty name that will clutter people's google/tag-based searches for a long time, Wavedash.
>>
File: OFC.gif (76KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
OFC.gif
76KB, 210x210px
>>384179030
It hurts.
>>
File: file.png (263KB, 300x486px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
263KB, 300x486px
>>384181406
yeah who the fuck would come up with such a dumbass name.
>>
File: 1499732014115.jpg (191KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499732014115.jpg
191KB, 1200x1200px
ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS CALL IT KERFUFFLE
>>
File: 1358210640293.png (11KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
1358210640293.png
11KB, 390x470px
>>384181406
Don't forget the Overwatch logo being used
>>
This is such an unabashed Smash clone it's not even funny.
>>
>>384181406
they should just call it wavedash online

or project eelem if they wanna be cheeky
>>
PM 4.0 was going to have a ton of cool shit.

Fuck Icons and fuck the apologists sucking Wavedash's cocks over this.

What hurts me most is that they stole tons of animations but somehow made the game look much slower than Melee or PM. HOW.
>>
>>384163801
>Because (In my opinion) Melee is on it's way out. I believe almost all "tech" has been discovered and it will only be a matter of time before people lose interest. With no tech left to discover, characters will NEVER more up or down in relevancy, there is no patch, no new characters, nothing.
You have a shit tier understanding of the melee metagame if you actually believe this. While a lot of tech is known, almost all of it is underutilized. You can name on one hand the people even good at exploiting ledge invincibility to its feel extent , despite it being a universal mechanic on all characters (except peach ;_;). Fucking Mango didn't even shield drop until last year and Hbox has never even bothered to learn a few things with puff that would dramatically improve his play.
>>
>>384180094
>>384179476
That's because this is PM: The Standalone Version. Pretty much expect this:
>New reveals are Melee expies, but with some edits at times to not have them be chinese bootlegs.
>Brawl characters that were notable in P:M also in it.
>Actual original characters come later or are hybrids of existing characters.

>>384181159
I'll say Sm4sh 3DS but hi-res, the cel shading really doesn't work.
>>
>>384181817
DEOXYS AS THE LAST CHARACTER
PICHU BROS NEVER

FUCK THE WORLD.
>>
File: file.jpg (232KB, 1600x1272px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
232KB, 1600x1272px
>>384181664
>Overwatch lgoo
Theirs isn't even original.
>>
>>384181583
Anon that's actually a good name though
>>
>>384182104
LYN, KNUCKLES, ISAAC, SAMI, SKULL KID

GYROMITE STAGE

IVYSAUR FINALLY GETTING A COSTUME

ALL DOWN THE DRAIN
>>
>>384182167
But they combined both Anon that makes it original
>>
>>384180854
>>384181159
>>384182028
Part of reason it looks so tr4sh 3ds is that there aren't the dash/dust movements on the ground like in melee and PM. Those visual effects make ground movement look way cooler than actually is and just seeing someone dash back and forth without them looks really gay.
>>
>>384181817
Assuming that they have to remake the code from scratch and also use a different engine from Smash, it's probably because they're literally not finished with the game yet.

How in the fuck are people on /v/ so oblivious to how game development takes time to perfect?
>>
One thing that wish these kind of games ripped off shamelessly is the smash graphic style were the characters have some kind of stretch to them, they stretch and shrink fast and this give a sense of speed/impact to the game.
>>
>>384182392
Funny, you sound just like the retards justifying why Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee looked like shit in early footage.

How did those turn out, again?
>>
>>384182304
Fuck everything, man.
>>
>>384182392
>MAKING EXCUSES FOR AN EA FUNDED GAME.
>>
File: unity3d.png (352KB, 586x421px) Image search: [Google]
unity3d.png
352KB, 586x421px
Explains it.
>>
>>384182413
Anon, what you're talking about is the camera. It zooms in or out depending on how close together the characters are. Their models aren't literally shrinking and stretching.

And yeah, the camera does act like shit in this game. The melee camera is really well done imo, except for a few occasions when recovering on dreamland/stadium.
>>
>>384182828
I don't think it's actually EA funded, the head guy who made the youtube videos just worked for EA. They raised money from different vcs.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (181KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
181KB, 1280x720px
>>384179739
>>384179739
>>384179760
NIGGER

THIS GAME IS 20% FINISHED, AND IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE TOTAL DOGSHIT
>>
File: Mario.jpg (164KB, 480x395px) Image search: [Google]
Mario.jpg
164KB, 480x395px
>>384182874
He's talking about this you dweeb.
>>
>>384183142
>20% FINISHED
Yeah fucking right.
>>
File: falco.png (32KB, 207x252px) Image search: [Google]
falco.png
32KB, 207x252px
>>384182574
Bad? Some games turn out good, some games turn out bad. Gears 4 looked horrible in early gameplay/beta footage and then they updated it to look amazing over time and to have gameplay improvements based off beta feedback.

>>384182828
I'm simply giving them the benefit of the doubt instead of shitting on a blatantly WIP game like some Twitch stream monster, especially since I actually want a spiritual successor to Smash to exist so that it gets actual competitive balancing and more characters that fit the Melee combat, and so that Nintendo has competition.

IF they have the same coders as Project M, they should be able to get the physics down eventually.
>>
>>384183185
Holy shit
I dunno what's more stretched, his hands or Peach's asshole once that giant fist is done with her.
>>
>>384182834
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT
>>
>>384183185
Oh, my b.
I only play melee and I don't think that happens besides Puff's doublejump.
>>
File: 1345907663981.jpg (21KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1345907663981.jpg
21KB, 480x320px
>>384183367
Epic
>>
File: 1497962967974.jpg (48KB, 475x476px) Image search: [Google]
1497962967974.jpg
48KB, 475x476px
>PM died for this garbage
>>
>>384183504
It's a thing in the whole series (maybe not Smash 4 but I wouldn't know game's trash) If I'm remember right it's only on the Mario characters and Ness
>>
>>384182834
Why the fuck would people not use Unreal 4 in 2017?
>>
>>384180820
>PM is dead and Melee is becoming stale
>time to play the exact same game but with only 8 of the exact same characters and worse graphics
Are you retarded?
>>
>>384182834
>Have a whole team that learned FUCKING ASSEMBLY AND BINARY TO MOD A GAME
>USE UNITY FOR THE GODDAMN SQUEAKQUEL

I am fucking pissed.
>>
The sound effects in Icons in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psYmX4n7RRA
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1089x828px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1089x828px
>>384183759
Nah, it doesn't happen to Mario in melee.
>>
>>384184283
>implying it's the exact same when the reveal video showed similarities with some different moves as well
>implying it's even close to finished when it's only been in development for a year and PM took 5-6 years to get to where it was at when it was just a MOD
You people are mentally ill.
Thread posts: 521
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.