[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cost of PC gaming vs cost of console gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: Console-vs-PC.png (210KB, 650x308px) Image search: [Google]
Console-vs-PC.png
210KB, 650x308px
Assuming mid-gen upgrades of both console & PC

PS4 2013 - $350
PS4 Pro 2016 - $400
PS Plus - approx $300 over 6 years

= $1,050

PC board, CPU, memory
i7 - $300
board - $150
RAM - $150
Misc - perhaps upgrading case or mouse (these can last over 5 years) - $100
Video card 2014 (GF 970) - $300
Video card 2016 (GF 1070) - $400

= $1,300

Is this reasonable? I own both, I don't take sides.

Arguably you're getting more bang for your buck on PC regarding performance.

Yet console is a touch cheaper.

This doesn't account for Steam sales.
>>
>>384120076
>This doesn't account for Steam sales.
lmao
and no, consoles are much more expensive, their game pricing is rough anal with no lube tier and there is nothing console owners can do about it
>>
>>384120229
>and no, consoles are much more expensive, their game pricing is rough anal with no lube tier and there is nothing console owners can do about it

mutltiplats cost the same

also console games can be traded if they're a physical copy
>>
>>384120076

OP again

Of course... the 1070 upgrade could be foregone

The 970 would do a creditable job of outputting 1440p60, Medium settings to a 4k screen in comparable titles to the PS4 Pro (BF1 is 1440p on PS4 Pro)

And 1080p60 high practically all games
>>
>>384120076
>spent $600 on gaming PC
>better graphics than PS4 for first 2 years
>2 years later, devs figure out PS4, graphics on par
>ps4 pro comes out
>buy new $200 graphics card, PC once again better than ps4 pro graphics, sure PS4 will catch up
>total investment: $800
>total investment of ps4 then upgrading to ps4 pro: $800
But I also got a kickass PC that can do more than just play games.
>>
>>384122159

1080p has been the smart place to be

I'm wondering when my i7 will be outdated, if the new consoles are 8 core

I want my 7700k to last 5 years
>>
>>384120076

Check last capcom humble bundle and tell me how much those games would cost right fucking now on console. I an guessing 10 times more minimum.
>>
>>384122387
I've got the FX 8350. Chose it in part because I knew the consoles would be using a similar CPU, and I figured consoles would have a huge influence on how games handle processors.

I was kind of wrong because games just went with DX11 on Windows anyway, which did a shit job with 8 cores. But Vulkan and DX12 are slowly changing that and I really feel no need to go with Ryzen. >:)
>>
File: Untitled.png (94KB, 1805x349px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
94KB, 1805x349px
>>384120076
Are you even trying?

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

You can be as poorfag as you want to be even with PC. And then you pirate 4 games and you already cheaper than console will ever be.
>>
>>384122387
almost every game out right now can run at 60fps on an 8 series. the problem is PC game devs have no idea how to optimize, nor do they bother to upgrade their software platforms or even bother to make their own.
>>
>>384120076
>Assuming not bait
Short answer: console is for casuals and PC is for hardcores.
Over the span of a few months I've pirated over 100 games (excl. DLCs) amounting to $2500 for the base games alone.
Your PC rig is also a lot more powerful than a PS4 Pro. And you choose to play with a mouse or a controller.
My current rig is about $700 (i5 6600k, GTX 1060) with a 1080p monitor. You can probably get that down to $500 with a non-OC'able motherboard and CPU.
>>
>>384120076
>tfw bought hardware, but no games

your calculations are retarded - include the cost of games, too
>>
>>384124156
>I've pirated
Kill yourself. Or at least go back and buy the shit you enjoyed.
>>
>>384124421
it is morally okay to pirate games that have been removed from all stores due to shitawful licensing system
>>
>>384120076
Now factor in the price of paid online on the consoles
>>
Barely anyone spends $150 on a mobo and $150 on ram. Even with the sudden spike in ram prices it's still nearer to $100 than $150 for fast 16gb ddr4 ram.

Also I've noticed pc gaming has been gaining popularity every month for the last year now. More and more people are moving to pc gaming. Nvidia had a record number of gpu sales like 3 months ago and that was even before the whole mining craze was a thing.
>>
File: amd.png (971KB, 988x2717px) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
971KB, 988x2717px
>>384123258
>implying those prices aren't outdated
stop shilling your site Falcon
>>
>>384124683
He did. Thats exactly what PS plus is.
>>
>>384124421
Only the ones I've enjoyed. Witcher series, Total War series, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Dishonored, bought them all and their DLCs on Steam after I've completed them.
>>
Also factor in the price of a pc with consoles, because everyone needs a pc
>>
>>384124838
>Miners are driving up the cost of mid-tier GPUs
>Minors are driving up the cost of high-end GPUs
It's not fair.
>>
>>384120076
you can save around 90-80$ on a board (you dont need a fancy gamer board)
You can save 100$ on memory(you dont need fancy gamer memory)
>>
>>384120076
On pc you can do pc stuff like text processing and making assignments and a lot of other general stuff. on consoles you cant, and also when people buy consoles they also have pcs and or dont replace old pcs but if someone is buying a gaming pc he wont need to buy another pc for general stuff. pc is always more value than console. Why do you think actual poorfags only own pc? only the normal people who dont really care about or are not that calculative about their money see consoles as cheep
>>
>>384120076
>Assuming mid-gen upgrades of both console & PC
Why? What a shit premise.
A 2013 PS4 will be supported for a decade, even a couple years after PS5's release it'll still be getting cross-gen games (just like PS3 is still getting this year). But good luck playing on a PC for a decade without ANY bottleneck or upgrade.
The point of a console outside of its ease-of-use is that they have the lowest price of entry. Adding the cost of a mid-gen upgrade when you already own the first model defeats your little armchair hypothesis.

To answer your retarded question as it stands right now: Yes, it would be incredibly wasteful and irrelevant to buy consoles day1 AND every model that comes out (also day1) even though the advantages aren't worth full price if you already own the previous one. Yes this would put console gaming closer to PC's price over a decade of time. Just as if you bought the absolute TOP END GPU or CPU instead of a mid-price consumer friendly version like the ones you listed.
In TRUTH, in the REAL world, most people wait 2 to 3 years into a console's lifespan, pay $250 on some BlackFriday bundle, and have a device that'll last them for 7 years without further costs. If not, even a day1 purchase is $400 and it'll last 10 years. You are simply going for the worst-case-scenario on the console side while at the same time showing a moderately good situation on the PC side.
BTw PS+ price isn't mandatory, unlike upgrading your PC to play demanding single player games, so I don't know why it is included. Should I add my WoW/FF14 monthly payments on the PC side too? PS+'s yearly price also fluctuates a LOT. Why would I pay for it right now when all I'm playing is Nier Automata and Persona5, for example? You assume that not only everyone pays for it 12 months per year (so all the time) but that you also don't look for discounts when doing so like any normal person. in EU you could get 1 year for 35€ some weeks ago, about a 40% discount.
>>
>>384125632
>you can save around 90-80$ on a board (you dont need a fancy gamer board)
wrong unless you want static in your audio, overheating vrms and shit OCability
>You can save 100$ on memory(you dont need fancy gamer memory)
it's not 2008 anymore, higher speed memory actually gives you better fps especially on ryzen
>>
>>384120229
Are you implying second hand games on retail stores don't exist? Or that XBL/PSN don't get discounts?
Are you retarded or just living under a rock? Perhaps both.
>>
>>384120076
I just bought an r5 1600 build for about 600$ and play NieR and Prey on max settings. Not silky smooth 60 fps, but pretty stable 50+ with occasional dips to low 40-s
And its fine by me
>>
File: 1478398387364.jpg (39KB, 389x361px) Image search: [Google]
1478398387364.jpg
39KB, 389x361px
>>384120076
>PS Plus - approx $300 over 6 years
Dude, just use the free trials they give you. I haven't had to spend a dime on Plus for like 3 years.
>>
>>384120076
Why would you buy PS4 and PS4pro? How about you sell PS4 to buy PS4pro or just stick with regular one? Why dont you put PS4slim in it then? That is retarded, you need to learn how to spend money properly
>>
>>384120076
If you own both, why you dont talk about PSstore sales? They as great as steam sales.
>>
>>384120076
>>384120076
That depends whether if your a pirate scum or not.
Also console is not expensive at all. Just buy off everything when it's on sale like you would on steam. Ps plus can be bought for real cheap during sales too. Used game is another option.
>>
>>384126221
This a million times.
>>
>>384120076

Only an idiot pays full price for a PC game though.
>>
>>384120076
PS4 launched at $399 though, and why would you keep the original PS4 after upgrading to the Pro?

The initial investment of a console is definitely cheaper but PC games usually are able to be purchased for less. It's dumb to try and compare the two platforms on price alone, as they each offer something you can't get on the other.
>>
File: horizonzerodawn_2017084uto.png (2MB, 1920x822px) Image search: [Google]
horizonzerodawn_2017084uto.png
2MB, 1920x822px
>>384120076
>be smart person
>buy 200$ console
>have access to all the exclusives
>have access to the best graphics
>have to all 3rd party games
PC is dead, overpriced, meme trash.
>>
>>384120076
I can tell you this. Both PCs and consoles have their ups and downs.

Consoles are cheaper than PCs and have certain games that will never get a PC port no matter what.

PCs vary in price when it comes to load-out, yet most games on consoles are getting PC ports. Not to mention overall more games than consoles. Don't forget that you can actually buy a good rig cheap that will last for a long time if you try to balance out properly power and price. And don't get me started on the whole modifying the rig on the run and changing parts for superior ones...if they are compatible that is.
>>
>>384120076

It depends on countries.

There are countried out there with a insanely expensive console prices.
Also, there are countries with pc components being unreasonabely cheap and others with the opposite.

Always choose pc if you are open to pirate games. Always choose a console if you can't face having to do a few clicks to make things work smooth.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.