[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 970s13.jpg (24KB, 281x179px) Image search: [Google]
970s13.jpg
24KB, 281x179px
Defense Mechanics

What is /v/'s favorite form of defense mechanics?

>1 DEF = 1% damage reduction
>Damage taken = Attack damage - Defense
>>
This, when the minimum damage is 1.
>>
>>384107582
>1 DEF = 1% damage reduction

this is always retarded because there HAS to be a diminishing returns mechanic after a certain point.

Is better when a more complicated damage formula - weaknesses/resistances, attack types etc.
>>
New Vegas = DT
Fallout 3 = DR
>>
>>384107775
>>this is always retarded because there HAS to be a diminishing returns mechanic after a certain point.
How about making it impossible to get 100 DEF?

DEF = Hard DEF (1% reduction) + Soft DEF (1 damage reduction)
>>
>>384108089
That too, depends on the game. Obviously something like Diablo you don't want to make it impossible to get to 100 since you want high scales of leveling. But a 30 hour RPG you probably could.

All depends on the game.
>>
>>384107582
>stone buckler
fucking post trans noob
>>
>>384107582
Damage taken = Atk * 100/(100+Def)
>>
File: DamageCalc.png (4KB, 570x63px) Image search: [Google]
DamageCalc.png
4KB, 570x63px
>>384108409
>>
File: 1497613435167.jpg (111KB, 531x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497613435167.jpg
111KB, 531x800px
>armour increases the minimum threshhold at which an attack may damage you for more than 0, and then any damage that is applied is mitigated by a certain %
>lack of armour allows for the opportunity to completely negate attacks by dodging/deflection
>certain magic is amplified upon striking an armoured target
>>
>>384107582
blink tank > other
>>
>>384107582
>>384108089
Ragnarok was pretty damn cool overall. Its DEF system was great before Revival or Survival or some kinda patch that fuck up the balance.

>>384107775
>>384108089
Ragnarok was great at this. They made sure to balance equipments between classes. Even if you're a poor ass Crusader, you'll still get much higher DEF than super rich Wizard. Of course rich or payfag Crusader will still demolish you but that happen in every game.

But of course Ragnarok is dead
>>
>>384107582
AC
To hit: Attack bonus + Dice roll > AC
>>
>>384107582
no def, just hp and bonuses for element resistance
>>
Game?
>>
>>384108726
It's relatively dead, but I wouldn't say it's dead. They just launched a Re:Start server that, while using Renewal mechanics like ATK/DEF/cast time formulae, is a roll back to Episode 1 as far as content goes, and they're going to incrementally progress through the history of the game. There's something like 4k players (probably at least a third bots/vendors) at any time.
>>
>>384108913
I still don't understand the new mechanic. So 150 DEX isn't instant cast anymore. Easy enough. But what happened to DEF? VIT still directly decrease 1 damage right? But what happened to DEF from Armor?
>>
>>384109105
It uses WoW's formula now which is similar to >>384108409
It doesn't really have diminishing returns because effective health still goes up linearly (double def = double effective health) as opposed to the classic system where effective health went up exponentially and things like Ice Pick and Acid Demonstration had to be introduced to "balance" the game.
>>
>>384109105
http://irowiki.org/wiki/DEF
>>
>>384107582
Modified AC mechanics
>no hit roll, hit value is always 10+HIT modifiers
>1d10 dodge roll+AC modifiers
That way without modifiers to the attackers HIT and the defender's AC, the chance of landing an attack is at a nice clean 50%.
>>
>>384107582
I like it when there are a bunch of them with interesting differences.

>Diablo 2
>energy shield
>dodge/avoid/evade
>defense
>block
>resistances
>poison length reduction
>damage reduction
>absorb%
>absorb
>>
>>384109463
Came here to post something like this but for torchlight 2
>>
File: guess the ship.png (50KB, 285x374px) Image search: [Google]
guess the ship.png
50KB, 285x374px
Eve Online's
>>
>>384107775
Even minmaxing your absolute hardest, you could only get maybe 80 defense total, which was 80% damage reduction.

You were absolute garbage otherwise.

>>384107582
Don't forget RO had TWO types of defense. Hard and Soft
Hard: comes from armor and upgrades only, and was the 1 point = 1% reduction.
Soft: Comes from vitality stat increases, which was 1 point = 1 point of damage reduced.

So a 1000 damage attack with 20 hard and 30 soft defense would get cut to 770 damage.
>>
>>384110306
Steel Body!!
>>
A combination of avoidance and mitigation, possibly with both percentage-based and damage block (and possibly a variety of different special effects).

For example, I really like combat resolution in Dominions, based around exploding 2d6 rolls (called DRN, it enables David beating Goliath kind of stuff which makes it inappropriate for some games but it's thematic and works really well in this context). The basic melee combat involves attack skill+DRN vs defense skill+DRN check to see if the attack hits, and it then deals (damage+DRN)-(protection+DRN) amount of damage. This enables it to have a nice distribution of damage that kinda makes sense (the likelihood of a sword doing a single point of damage against plate armor is low, but it's non-zero, which I think adequately represents successful strikes on weak spots and in practise allows elites to be swarmed) and allows factors like fatigue or fighting against multiple opponents to be taken into account easily by modifying rolls. There's more to it (damage types, shields, length of weapons, locational damage, magical defenses etc) but that's the general gist of it and I think it's an elegant system that's relatively good at producing plausible outcomes and enabling good unit variety with everything being a sort of soft counter to everything, all the while rules are at their core simple (comparing open-ended 2d6 rolls).

Another game I like is World of Warcraft, actually. The actual balance has usually been shit (healers being able to instantly top off tanks while having infinite mana making effective health the king in WotLK for instance, I don't know about Cata and beyond but before that gearing tanks wasn't really compelling outside TBC) but I like the actual mechanics with combat table (increasing avoidance to push crushing blows out of combat table and such like), block mechanics, how armor mitigation scaling works with % mitigation having diminishing returns but survivability scaling linearly) etc.
>>
>>384110391
Yeah but that was a special skill for an otherwise not-tanky class.

Then again RO didn't really have the same concept of "tanking" other games do.
>>
File: urw318-wounds-subscreen.png (548KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
urw318-wounds-subscreen.png
548KB, 800x600px
>>384110473
And third approach I like is simulation mechanics as seen in games like UnReal World. I don't really know how the mechanics work exactly and numbers are obfuscated but they work closely enough to reality that I don't feel compelled to know and will instead play thematically as opposed to being a min/maxing faggot.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.