[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On average 7% of FPS players are female. Overwatch's percentage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Data.png (441KB, 1644x1714px) Image search: [Google]
Data.png
441KB, 1644x1714px
On average 7% of FPS players are female. Overwatch's percentage of female players is much higher, at 15%. This got me thinking: are certain genres being less popular with women essentially down to aesthetics and cultural norms? For example the data gathered by Quantic Foundry shows that women generally find guns unappealing, preferring spells when it comes to weapons. Magic is heavily preferred over technology in general, fantasy over science fiction. Overwatch has a very bright, cartoony aesthetic with plenty of characters that appeal to women. Strictly speaking it is still "science fiction" but like Star Wars the "science" is so soft that it might as well be fantasy.

If you want to expand your audience maybe all you need is a proper theme, not a mechanical change.
>>
Forgot the sources:
http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/
http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/02/09/theme-and-weapon/
>>
Overwatch's female playerbase is also higher because of the healslut Mercy meme.
>>
>>383999271
Mercy alone can't account for an 8% increase..
>>
File: mercyshootingstuff.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mercyshootingstuff.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>383997046
I usually play the characters that are cute and make them into death machines.
>>
>>383997046
>>383999271
>>383999357
Overwatch increase has a lot of factors.
>healslut meme
>waifus (yes, regardless of Shitanita and other feminazis say, women like playing as attractive characters)
>game is very casual friendly (and let's be honest, hardcore girl gamers are a rarity)
>pleasing/cartoonish aesthetic, it's not gritty and dark and edgy
>it's been advertised fucking everywhere
>probably an easiest game for being a Twitch whore
>>
>>383999357
Mercy, in fact, can.

Mercy is well known for not having to fight, for being the helper healer who can literally take you to the higher MMRs alone because of how busted she is, and she has this whole heal slut persona the community has put onto her. You will find the vast majority of female players main Mercy.
>>
>>383999591
>healslut meme
Ridiculous IMO.

>>waifus (yes, regardless of Shitanita and other feminazis say, women like playing as attractive characters)
Women DO like playing women, especially cool/attractive women. Just as long as they're designed to appeal to women as well as men and aren't shallow sex objects. IIRC there was a large scale survey that showed that women really care about being able to play female characters while men didn't really care about the gender of the character they're playing.

>game is very casual friendly (and let's be honest, hardcore girl gamers are a rarity)
Well, everything is relative. The game is no Quake but in more objective terms it is one of the more hardcore titles.

>Pleasing/cartoonish aesthetic, it's not gritty and dark and edgy
Agreed, and part of the point of the OP.

>Probably an easiest game for being a Twitch whore
Twitch whores only make a tiny fraction of female players though.
>>
>>383997046
Women are fucking retards who have shitty taste, that's why.
>>
>match 3
>>
>>383999919
>The game is no Quake but in more objective terms it is one of the more hardcore titles.
It's not. It's really appealing to casual audience.
>shallow sex objects
This term is a meme and should never be treated seriously because there are ton of muscular males in games that are there just to be manly heroes, nobody complains about it. Also i saw another survey where a lot of women say that they also enjoy games where protagonist is exactly a manly hero like Ezio, Kratos, Geralt etc.
>Twitch whores only make a tiny fraction of female players though.
They still count and add to total score.
>>
>>384000607
Took me some time before i got that it's basically all the Candy Crush-like games.
Anyway women play games but mostly some that most hardcore games wouldn't even consider playing. At most just once to know what it exactly is.
>>
>>384001030
>It's not. It's really appealing to casual audience.
WASD+mouse shooters are fairly up there when it comes to complexity. Trivial for dedicated gamers, hard for the general population.

>This term is a meme and should never be treated seriously because there are ton of muscular males in games that are there just to be manly heroes, nobody complains about it.
There's a difference between a slut that men find sexy and women find disgusting and a slut that men find sexy and women want to be. Ditto for male eye candy. That's all this means. Mercy and the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown are both fap material but women generally don't want to be the sorceress.
>>
File: 1483977888218.jpg (476KB, 816x1087px) Image search: [Google]
1483977888218.jpg
476KB, 816x1087px
>make entire game look appealing to girls
>still doesn't have more than a 1/10th girls
The truth is, why would girls waste their lives on games when they can go out live life? Games are for the majority men made outcasts. Women will never play games in big numbers because women don't need the escapism. This industry is fueled by the existence of lonely miserable men.
>>
>>384000607
>>384001124
>Not knowing about Bejeweled

also
>Anyway women play games but mostly some that most hardcore games wouldn't even consider playing. At most just once to know what it exactly is.
Eh.. "mostly" is right in terms of absolute numbers because the majority of people who play games are women as a result of normie women playing more casual games than normie men and normies play casual stuff, but the numbers up there say that e.g. a third of JRPG players are female. Hardcore genres are more popular among men but women still make a large portion of the total playerbase in some of them.
>>
>>383997046
You forget that overwatch is also heavily influenced by mobas which a lot of females play either to stream for money or to play with their boyfriends.
>>
>>384001768
Why do way more of them play LoL than DotA? Are DotA players single more often than LoL players?
>>
>>384001430
Even in escapism the question asked is "how can we make this more for girls?" or "why aren't girls playing this" making the implication that male-oriented interests are bad and should transform to better fit female tastes. Nobody asks the same question about female hobbies. Of course that would be seen as sexist.

And nobody even asks why males are playing and not women. Why would women play videogames? Reality has basically been custom-tailored for them. Why would they even engage in escapism when the red mattress has been rolled for them?
>>
>>384001291
Outside of story games like Life is Strange no one actually knows characters like Mercy's or Sorceress's personalities. Sorceress isn't disliked because she's disgusting to women, she's disliked because she fails the "can I cosplay this" test while Mercy passes. Like you said yourself, women tend to play female characters and I suspect they have a greater need to self identify with someone similar to themselves especially in looks. 2B has the same sexualized character stigma because of her famous ass yet is insanely popular solely because she's easily cosplayed. You see far less Symmetra, Pharah, and Zarya fans than Mercy not because they disgust women but because the average woman identifies less with colored or buff women.
>>
>>384001430
>>384002590
/r9k/ af
>>
Trannies don't count
>>
A number that small I would probably just chalk up to WoW's popularity with women. A lot of women play WoW, watch Blizzcon and shit, see Blizzard coming out with a new game, and are more likely to try it simply because of that. I know a lot of girls that played Diablo and Hearthstone purely for that reason, even though they didn't give a shit about either genre previously
>>
>>384002705
/roastie/ af
>>
>>384002245
Dota is harder to get into and also harder in general

Ugly graphics
>>
>>384002720
"A lot" is at most 20% of the player base.
>>
>>384002690
>Sorceress isn't disliked because she's disgusting to women, she's disliked because she fails the "can I cosplay this" test while Mercy passes
No way. It's because of her design. Few women want to be titty monsters just like few men want to be the buff glittering vampire from Twilight. 2B is a great example to bring up here: she's obviously sexy but it is a kind of sexy women like while the same isn't true for Sorceress. Cosplaying isn't that ubiquitous.

I've seen far less Zarya fans, but Symmetra and Phara also seem pretty popular.
>>
>>384002887
1 in 5 is not a bad ratio
>>
>>384002705
It's true though.
>>
>>384002985
Few women want to be titty monsters because few women have big tits. People cosplay characters who resemble their body psychique the most, and what is more average than let's say, D.va?
>>
>>384003165
I think you're emphasizing cosplaying way too much. Most players aren't part of that scene and nerds tend to be less attractive in general.
>>
>>384003285
Don't mind me, just debunking that anon's argument about cosplay.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.