[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What a shitty ending.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17

File: Firewatchcover.jpg (27KB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
Firewatchcover.jpg
27KB, 200x254px
What a shitty ending.
>>
I've never played this game nor do I know anything about its story or ending but I agree
>>
>>383985971
But it's true to life where nothing ever fucking happens so it's good.
>>
Let me guess, all your fire prevention is for nought and the forest burns down anyway
>>
>All that build that ends up to be fucking nothing
>And you never even see the girl in person
>None of your actions even mattered
At least the graphics and voice acting were good. Glad I pirated this game.
>>
>>383985971
I liked it :^)
>>
>>383985971
I'm okay with not meeting Delilah, but the last half hour is incredibly dissappointing. They had such a strong groundwork from the beginning mysteries, but purposefully being a dissappointing ending just because it's "realistic" will just leave players frustrated with what kind of payoff there could have been.
>>
>>383985971
More like what a shitty interactive movie.
>>
>>383986134

I know right?
I'm glad video games are finally maturing as a medium and moving away from that sexist interactivity toward being bad indie flicks where you hold a button to prevent them from pausing
>>
>>383985971
I remember a bunch of this game not making any fucking sense but I don't remember the details.

There was something about a suspicious research station and planting that goes no-where, the guy out in the woods having access to places he shouldn't, someone smashed that research station, some other stuff. It seemed like they inserted a bunch of story elements for something larger and then just dropped what they were planning but left them in.

Also not being able to take Forrest Byrns with you in the end is gay.
>>
>>383986562
>suspicious research station and planting
It was all set up by kid's dad to throw you off his trail. Yeah, it's that retarded.
>>
>>383986843
When does it say that? He put up all that steel fencing and research equipment and then trashed it all later to fuck with the firewatch guy from his cave?
>>
File: 1496337236317_0.jpg (162KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1496337236317_0.jpg
162KB, 1462x1462px
>>383986340
>>
>when you couldn't be bothered to model another human so you phone in the ending: the game
>>
>>383986947
Actually I'm wrong, the camp is originally the government one for studying wildlife, Ned just used it to listen in on your shit and later destroyed it (if you don't do that, which you can) to hide the evidence.
>>
It just didn't have much focus, basically just 3 miserable people being sulky and jaded. Their situation doesn't have too much coherence. Then a very unmemorable "le twist" happens and the two people pretend their problems are solved.
I usually don't get annoyed by a game but this sucks, the visuals are the only thing this game had going.
>>
>>383987061
this is a multiplat indie thread, not an uncharted thread
>>
>>383985971
yeah but i still enjoyed most of the "game". Are they working on a new game?
>>
>shitty "game" has shitty ending

Wow who could have seen that coming?
>>
>you play as the pregnant 17 year old slut half-daughter of a white woman who married a poo in India
Dropped like the sack of shit that it is.
>>
>>383985971
It's part of the System Shock universe.
>>
File: 1406376324955.png (171KB, 368x316px) Image search: [Google]
1406376324955.png
171KB, 368x316px
Why the fuck didn't she want to meet up with him?
>>
>>383986340
There are plenty of indie games that are all gameplay all the time. Please play more games. Neuromancer, Stardew Valley, Enter the Gungeon, Clustertruck, Furi, Deadbolt and more are gameplay heavy. There is just a thing called a diverse range of choice for games.
>>
File: 364.jpg (16KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
364.jpg
16KB, 400x356px
>>383988978
>Please play more games
nah
they're all shit
>>
>>383988978
>underageb& on my /v/
>>
>>383988215
At the end all I took from it was that it was a family of the most neglectful parents in history. At least the bathtub scene was good. Until the ending.
>>
>>383989329
Don't talk about games without playing them, that's ridiculous. People used to get laughed at for this. Especially when you're wrong about something.
>>
>>383989516
>someone not being cynical and also wrong means they're underage
>>
>>383986135
Actually yes, but there is other stuff that makes it shit too
>>
>>383985971
This game made me angry.
>>
I loved that game. I love to find my way and know the hour using only a compass.

But to really enjoy that game you must disable the "use magic to show me my position on the map".
>>
File: welcome.jpg (71KB, 425x567px) Image search: [Google]
welcome.jpg
71KB, 425x567px
>>383989576
>/v/
>playing games
>>
>>383989649
It's not the lack of cynicism, it's the lack of intelligence
>>
Games like Firewatch are the perfect example of why we as consumers of video games will never have nice things. Not because Firewatch was a bad game, but that it was a good one that so many 'gamers' cry foul about while at the same time giving a free pass to CoD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, FIFA or a whole host of shit games that remain popular year after year despite lacking any originality or soul.
>>
>>383990046
>firewatch
>game
>>
>>383990046
These AAA games delivered what they promised. Firewatch marketed itself as a suspense/thriller/mystery game
>>
But there was all those things. You can't honestly say there wasn't.
>>
>>383990132
Go back to your COD kid

we don't like your kind around here
>>
>>383988674
Is this darkseed?
>>
>>383990449
白痴
>>
>>383990046
although I can get where you are coming from, it's not that simple. People criticising Firewatch are not the same group of people that eat up AAA shit. Firewatch sets itself on a higher pedistol than AAA braindead shit, it automatically gets harder judging. Firewatch is okay, the exploration for the first hour was fine, it's the plot that is poor. I'm >>383987413 .
>>
>these girls are missing
>mystery man in the woods
>secret government facility
>each one of these turns out to be absolutely fucking nothing

I could go out and get a real fire watch job if I wanted to hang out in the woods where nothing happens.
>>
What kind of forest was it with no animals?
>>
>>383990046
The people playing CoD, etc, all know that it's the same game every year. Meanwhile, people play shit like Firewatch, and think its the best thing ever because they got invested in the "choose your own adventure" novel at the beginning which impacts nothing but some dialogue in the game.
>>
So what is the ending? And why is it bad?
Give it to me, I ain't playing the game.
>>
>>383991627
Forest catches on fire, you evacuate, and the chick you've been talking to and flirting with on the radio (after your wife died) bails out before you get to see her.

Bunch of other stuff happens, too, but every last one of them are nothingburgers.
>>
>>383986134
If I wanted that I would've just gone to the woods
>>
>>383991679
>after your wife died
She didn'y die.
>>
>>383990264
And it had all those things.
>>
>>383991994
Not him but most suspense/thriller/mystery don't end with "oh it was actually nothing"
>>
>>383992379
That's not the question.
>>
>>383992407
Well, if they were all nothing, you can't blame someone for feeling unrewarded with the game.
>>
>>383992407
Was there a question?
>>
File: 1489801648173.png (976KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
1489801648173.png
976KB, 512x768px
>>383990132
>HorribleSubs
>>
>>383992610
Way of talking.
>>
>>383992689
Say what now?
>>
>>383992751
I was just saying that empty ending isn't in contraction with suspense/thriller/mystery.

So >>383992379 was changing the subject.
>>
>>383992673
>acting like fansubs still exist

trying2hard
>>
>>383992916
Not by definition but if a mystery is a strange noise outside, a suspicious phone call, and a huge sum of cash then ended with raccoon, wrong number, and clerical error. Then you might think "wow, I feel somewhat cheated as I was promised a mystery but a setup to one making it fell like more of a half mystery"
>>
>>383993484
But only got a setup*

Sorry it's late and this twin peaks episode is good.
>>
>>383985971
>Game nails a fantastic atmosphere and the slow burn of "maybe there's something not quite natural going on" without using jump scares or making it obvious.
>Always ends with the "and everything was all right in the end" thread.
When your game nails the "horror" atmosphere better than 90% of "horror" games on the market, of course people will be disappointed. Modern(-ish) day supernatural is such an underperformed genre, that even when the game is "good" it's always a disappointment to look back and realise it could have been exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>383993362
they do in my heart
>>
>>383985971
The whole story was pretty shit. It relied far too much on coincidence to make it seem like a conspiracy was happening.
>>
>>383992407
But when you build up to it well enough that the player thinks "this one might actually do it well", and then throw that away because you wanted to shirk genre convention by having the payoff be "realistic" (can't think of a better word for it), people are naturally going to be disappointed.
>>
File: 1486178953823.jpg (158KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486178953823.jpg
158KB, 1080x1080px
>>383985971
I wanted this game to be good so badly, 75% of it was. The other 25% completely ruined my experience, a shitty twist and a complete non-ending that solved nothing. You could've thrown in some Silent Hill shit or some PT shenanigans and I would've loved it. It's like these developers nowadays want to make horror games but can't follow through with their vision, so they make walking sims instead.
>>
File: horros.png (37KB, 621x337px) Image search: [Google]
horros.png
37KB, 621x337px
Are indie devs the most based and hardworking people out there?
>>
File: 3CpdJ15.png (164KB, 248x304px) Image search: [Google]
3CpdJ15.png
164KB, 248x304px
>>383986340
>>
File: RA5p3I8.png (163KB, 333x335px) Image search: [Google]
RA5p3I8.png
163KB, 333x335px
>>383990046
but all those games you mentioned are actual games unlike firewalk
>>
>>383994572
Nobody forced them to live in San Fran, one of the most expensive places in the US.
>>
>>383994332
Actually, the problem of the ending is not that it's realistic.
The REAL problem of the ending is that it's unrealistic as fuck. It's in fact, completely retarded, ABSOLUTELY FUCKING MORONIC, and makes much less sense than a fucking alien reveal would. It's meaningless, dumb, desperately forced, completely illogical, inconsistent, absurd and just plain old completely fucking DUMB.
It's an ending that was made up because they wanted to suckerpunch the player, not because they actually had a good idea. It's like what happens when you decide that your game WILL END WITH A TWEEEEST before you even start asking yourself what a twist can you come up with. And eventually realize that you can't come up with anything. But you still slap something on because you are already too invested in the idea of twist.

That is Overwatch. They tried to be smarter than the player: but they weren't. And the end is just fucking insulting.
>>
File: DarkSpace1.png (2MB, 816x816px) Image search: [Google]
DarkSpace1.png
2MB, 816x816px
eh flameclock was a better sequel
>>
File: 1493236955728.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493236955728.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Remember that time the Firewatch devs started crying when so many players demanded refunds?

https://www.polygon.com/2016/2/16/11017948/firewatch-refunds-steam
>>
>>383985971
This board is exclusively for videogames and not for interactive audio books, faggot
>>
>>383988674
Because they didn't make her in game model.
>>
>>383986272
>just because it's "realistic"
Wow congratulations on missing the point of the game. How did you not pick up on the theme of escapism? All of the characters are escaping from something. Main character is trying to get away from his vegetable of a wife who should have the plug pulled already. The girl is a dirty slut who cheats on her SO to get away from commitment with him. The dad who got his kid killed is trying to literally escape from the consequences as well as the guilt. And wow, the game is also trying to make a point by implying that the player is using the game as a means of escapism into this fantastical, high octane, mystery story only to be brought back to reality JUST LIKE EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME DOES IN THE END. HOW DID YOU NOT PICK UP ON THAT? ARE YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY THIS STUPID THAT YOU TAKE EVERYTHING AT FACE VALUE?

The ending was disappointing, I would have liked it more if it actually followed through with the fantasy ending. But there's a difference between not understanding a game and crying about the ending and not enjoying an ending
>>
>>383991627
What actually happens is at first you do routine check ups on forest stuff but then some mysterious shit starts going down and it seems like there's a 3rd party working against you, possible a serial killer or a secret organization. Turns out that it's a just one guy who your coworker already knew of but not his involvement and the two of you go back home without anything really happening except you discovering the mystery guy and his motives
>>
>>383995701
I think a big part is especially when these kinds stories end with the "and there was really nothing fantastical going on at all!" ending, it's actually "and there was really nothing fantastical going on at all! ...". I don't remember, but was there any hanging thread at the end that gave the moment of
>"If it weren't for you leaving those marks through the forest I never would have escaped."
>"I dropped the chalk remember? You must have been seeing things, lucky you got out and we solved the mystery though... right?"
>>
>>383989554
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMn4CoyUkM
>>
File: maria image.png (235KB, 343x519px) Image search: [Google]
maria image.png
235KB, 343x519px
>>383996254
>one hour of autoism
>>
Would be pretty funny if one of these hipster art games ended with a YOU A WINNER text on screen.

Like, you explored the home and found that your dad molested your sister and then YOU A WINNER and exit back to your GOG Galaxy client.
>>
>>383995701
Except it does not work that way. Actually you got most of the FACTUAL stuff wrong.
The wife isn't a vegetable. That is the problem. She has early onset dementia. That means she is very active: she requires constant supervision. Delilah isn't a slut either: she just likes to escape from things from time to time.

As for the "DAD" that is where the whole theme of escapism COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY FALLS APART, mostly because his entire motivation and story is absurd to a point of a parody. He is not escaping from the consequences of his failure, he becomes and ethernal hermit-guardian of his son's fucking grave FOR SOME FUCKING ABSURD REASON. And the player isn't using the game to escape to some fantastical high-octane fucking mystery: the player just wants to hear the story of those people and learn from it. That is not fucking escapism. The game is trying to convince the player that there is something more going on, it's not the player that draws those conclusions. And it does not fit on motivations of the characters themselves.

It's just a complete, absolute, riddiculous mess. It makes no sense, none of the motivations actually sit with the intentions, none of the themes cross each other, the story is absurd, the narrative clumsy: it's a shitpile.
It tries to do the Silent Hill 2 or Cryostasis thing where the real deal is actually human and psychological, but it fails so miserably that I honestly can't think of many videogame narratives that would be such an amazing, insane clusterfuck.

And it's honestly fucking bad that people did not drag it through the mud in the industry.
>>
>>383996406
>weaboo can't pay attention for an hour
color me surprised
>>
>>383996452
Hi brainlet, reddit is two doors down. Hope not to see you again
>>
>>383996452
>FOR SOME FUCKING ABSURD REASON
Maybe so he isn't thrown in jail when people find out he got his son killed because of negligence. I'm not sure if this is the mysterious motivation you're making it out to be
>>
>>383996451
These hipsters don't make these games with this much self awareness. They take themselves way too seriously
>>
this game and its atmosphere were really good until you break into the army base and then it went spiraling down real fast
>>
File: CbMAi0AVIAAwL0i.jpg (48KB, 600x475px) Image search: [Google]
CbMAi0AVIAAwL0i.jpg
48KB, 600x475px
Indeed.
>>
>>383997807
They appeased her by not featuring any female character models I guess
>>
>>383989924
He soundly refuted yourself, those games are excellent. Stop posting anytime.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.