[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should video game reviewers be good at video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: Y-335xSB.jpg (25KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
Y-335xSB.jpg
25KB, 399x399px
Should video game reviewers be good at video games?
>>
She's got a stronger jaw than 90% of /v/
>>
someone post that D44M webm
>>
no of course not
film reviewers arent directors
>>
>>383985157
At least competent or have a reviewer who understands the genre.
>>
Average at least or else you get shit like that DOOM video and that Ys review about the invisible chest.
>>
>>383985339
Nobody is saying game reviewers should MAKE games retard
>>
Good enough to beat the game they are reviewing in an acceptable fashion.
If you can't beat dark souls because of your lack of skill, you shouldn't be a judge on it's quality.
>>
They should be competent enough to actually finish the game before reviewing
>>
>>383985358
This. While you don't have to be a e-sports pro or anything, some degree of competency and knowledge of the subject should be required.
>>
>>383985339
God damn son, you are dumb.
>>
>>383985157
Different reviewers cater to different audiences, normies want game reviews from other normies that think and play like them. Good news is you get to choose which critic's opinions you respect.
>>
>>383985157

That whore should be raped and killed for not wearing a veil though.
>>
>>383985358
>>383985518
This.
Also responsible, impartial and as objective as possible.
Not like this:
http://business.financialpost.com/technology/gaming/nier-automata-review-creative-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess
>>
>>383985339
I bet you score really shit at IQ tests
>>
How can you judge a product's qualities if you are not adept at the techniques it uses?

If you can't play at a high level, you cannot know if the game actually facilitates that, or if the controls, inputs, camera, etc gimps you.

Anyone can look at a game and judge graphics, sound, story, and so on, but you need to possess some skill to judge the actual 'game' aspect of a video game
>>
>>383985157
I dunno but i think she should be bouncing on ma dik
>>
>>383985157
nah, you don't need to be a racecar driver to see if a nascar pileup was because of a stupid mistake.

Some games are just shit, and everyone can see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1f1WJp6nU
>>
>>383985157
Definitely, yes. Otherwise they can't give competent reviews, which is the case with every big video game reviewer.
>>
>>383985859
shut up stupid whats your iq
>>
>>383985990
But you need to be a NASCAR driver to judge the quality of a racecar
>>
>>383985157
I feel like they should be at least above average. So they can provide feedback from the perspective of an average person and somebody slightly better. Since that's the majority of gamers.
>>
>>383986070
Meant to put racecar instead of nascar
>>
>>383985157
Yes, I miss times when there were monthly magazines so 'reviewers' had a whole month to test 2 or 3 games to give them at least idea what the fuck they talk about. Today in the age of internet the one who shit's out the first review gets the most dosh, doesn't matter s/he didn't made it past tutorial, 'only nerds would have such expectations'.
>>
>>383985791
>What is life like for humans on the moon?
lmao, he didn't even finish the fucking game. What a piece of shit.
>>
File: 1391635918496.gif (2MB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
1391635918496.gif
2MB, 200x113px
Yes, they should be good.

No one wants to hear some dunce whine about how bad the game is because he couldn't play it properly.

Someone can't tell me about good combat mechanics if he keeps getting killed all the time.
>>
>>383985157
Yes, because otherwise, you have reviewers complaining about a game "having terrible controllers" when in reality the controllers are fine but they suck at playing it.
>>
>>383985791
I want to skullfuck the guy that wrote this.
>>
>>383986175
My favorite part is
>I finished the original nier
Then complains about automata making you replay the game to get the other endings. Priceless.
>>
They need to be average. If they're too good or too bad, they run the risk of becoming biased. For example, if you play a lot of turn based RPG's, when reviewing Persona, you would probably consider it easy,or average in difficulty. But, if you're new to the series, you would be upset that the reviewer "lied" to you.
>>
>>383985157
>trade press used to have the money from magazine sales and advertising to pool of writers with varying tastes to draw from
>now they don't even want to hire people who aren't carbon copies of every other writer at every other mainstream publication, not just theirs
I want things to be different.
>>
>>383986065
that's not the point.

The point is that IQ tests often do logical equivalences. And you just failed hard at one of those.
>>
If people reviewed other mediums the same way people reviewed video games then you'd have some asshole with a fourth grade reading level giving a book a negative review because the book is bound in leather and they don't like that because they're an animal rights activist.
>>
All this time and I still want to hit Justine with a brick for Portal.
>>
>test drive manual car
>can't drive manual though lol
yes
>>
>>383986498
no it doesnt stupid your logical equivalence to logical equivalnces is wrong lol
>>
>>383986498
so did you bitch
>>
File: 1319822755998.png (141KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1319822755998.png
141KB, 300x300px
>>383986364
It's entirely possible to tell if something is easy or not even if you're a pro. /v/ talks about 'casual filters' often, so if a scrub from the internet can tell, surely a reviewer should be able to as well
>>
>>383986891
>>383986983
t.sub 100 IQ
>>
>>383986642
Underrated post.
>>
>>383987091
>t. single digit IQ
>>
>>383985157
you should know the reviewer's tastes for games and preference of play style instead of skill level
>>
File: 1498867913415.png (467KB, 800x653px) Image search: [Google]
1498867913415.png
467KB, 800x653px
>>383985791
>After finishing it the first time, with no real resolutions provided, we’re told we need to start this 25-hour plus game all over again to get the full Nier: Automata experience.
>we’re told we need to start this 25-hour plus game all over again
>25-hour plus
>>
>>383987263
>no u
>>
>>383985157
Justine is pretty
>>
>>383985157
No, they're not reviewing the game based on how it feels, they're supposed to review technical aspects and for that you only need an understanding of the mechanics.

Certainly they should be capable enough to play through the basic content, but how good at said content they are is irrelevant.
>>
>>383986175
>we never meet the aliens
He didn't even get halfway, let alone finish the game
>>
>>383985157
Ideally, yes. If you suck at games, you'll never access their more interesting consequences and experiences.

Would you take a review about a fighting game seriously if the reviewer had never played them before? You wouldn't if they barely accessed the meat of the game.
>>
- they don't have to be good, but they need to be competent enough to complete the game and self-aware enough to know how their own skill level stacks up against that of their readers
- objective enough to leave political bias out of the analysis (not to say political themes can't be mentioned in the review, but the reviewer's personal politics should not influence their judgment)

i saw a "reviewer" slam a game for being poorly designed because he and three other alleged video game professionals spent ages on a puzzle and couldn't figure it out, a puzzle which i solved in like 5 minutes when i played. and i'm not even that good at puzzles.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.