[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what happened to this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: ps2.jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
13KB, 300x168px
what happened to this game?
>>
It's somehow still alive, but is plagued by issues.

>Ridiculous cert requirements just to get a single weapon
>Even more ridiculous cert requirements to even get a vehicle or infantry class up to 'standard' (I.E: Not Garbage)
>Cert farming and the zergfits that support it
>Strange and confusing balance passes
>VS being huge fags

It's a shame. It's not a bad game, but most fights are now

>Small 4-10 player fights that are actually kinda decent
>Incredibly rare 32-48 player fights that are proper back and forth pushes rather than instant spawnroom nuking for farming those certs
>Incredibly common 32-48 player fights that zoom up to 96+ because the Zergfits decided to show up.

3-way faction fights are really rare now, too. I mean, I guess if you count that one guy from a 3rd faction who shows up in an ESF to pester soldiers, sure, but otherwise - no big fights.
>>
SOE is dead. Long live SOE.

They alienated the PS1 fanbase and later tried to pander to the widest demographic for game balance that just wanted a fast TDM like call of duty, as they hemorrhaged money and talent as the game's shit engine and their poor management sunk them.

It's very much on life support now and the few devs working on it are doing their best to implement some of the older concepts for deeper strategic play like PS1, but the logistics of the new systems and the existing game world are pretty exclusive with little bearing on each other and it's more just like bloat. Bad news is the still unfinished game is dead in the water, money's drying up as it continues to bleed players.

Their mistake was intentionally making it a Battlefield clone thinking it'd be more profitable while telling the PS1 fanbase to go fuck themselves in favor of a crowd that mostly didn't know what Planetside even was.

They will not be missed.
>>
>>383982413
H1Z1 killed it
>>
>>383983108
>Ridiculous cert requirements just to get a single weapon
>Even more ridiculous cert requirements to even get a vehicle or infantry class up to 'standard' (I.E: Not Garbage)

I can't imagine they've upped the cost of those things, cert wise. It was a bit of a grind to get the certs needed, but they've added ways to get certs easier as well with their 'complete achievements, get stuff' method. Since you can test out all of the weapons, how many do you really need to buy?
>>
>Devs
>Wrel
>Poor optimization
>Lags L A G S
>Muh helmets/cosmetics that lag the game even more
>Retarded camos
>Weapon variety
Etc
>>
I will say I've got mega interest in the reverse emulation project going on for Planetside 1 and I seriously hope it's still being worked on.
>>
>>383983301
I've tried playing it again for a bit now, and it's 1k certs/gun and I can net about 100 or so in an hour.
>>383983108
There's a PS1 startup from what I've heard, is PS1 worth getting into, as compared to the second?
>>
>>383982413
https://youtu.be/qBLEP9dK-4o
>>
>>383983462

Getting into PS1 would be worth it with an understanding that it's an older game based more on RPG mechanics and character build. Universal opinion is that the combat mechanics fucking sucked but progression was handled very well where people had clearly defined roles to spec into and make their own.

Problem is they shut PS1 down, but there was a project in the works to reverse engineer the code and write a kind of emulator for dedicated shards people could join and play on. It was coming along well when I took a look at it like a year or two ago. They got a ton of data from the base game but almost nothing from the disabled CC expansion so that'd be tougher for them to recreate.
>>
>>383983462
Gemini server(last one) is down on PS 1

There's still fan client i i believe
>>
I take back some of what I said above.

What really did SOE in on this was Smedley ordering a lockdown on all content updates JUST after the game's original resource and capture system was stripped out for retooling, and the team got put into a never ending cycle of optimization to try to make PS2 run smoothly on pre-built toasters when it was never gonna work. Then they shot themselves in the foot when they took community feedback and totally fucked the game's balance permanently.

It all rolled downhill.
>>
>>383984470

But this is just as I've heard it over the years in the conversations had by various SOE members after their buyout.
>>
>>383982413
It was fun but the credit grind basically reduced it to P2W garbage.
>>
>>383983108
>3-way faction fights are really rare now, too
>big 2-way fight between TR and NC at Eisa tech
>TR capping and barely holding the point, losing the outside while starting to get pushed on inside
>looks like we'll hold it long enough regardless
>all of the sudden 4 full VS valks show up and drop on balcony and zerg straight to the point, flipping it at exactly 3 seconds, winning the base for themselves
F4'd and uninstalled, done with this piece of shit.
Also
>cert grind
Least of that game's problems.
>>
Performance is worse now than ever, ironic since pcs got more powerful and the game actually got uglier too.

The skeleton crew dev team is what's hurting the game the most. The higher ups still demand PS2 churn a profit, so since construction was implemented (which didn't help the game much) all we've been getting is shitty gimmich NSX weapons and one of the worst attempts at rng loot crates.

>tons of certs required for new weapons

It's not that bad these days. In the initial year or two you strictly got 100 certs for a kill and 500 for a base cap - no bonuses, ribbons, bounties, etc. 30 hours grind for a weapon for a casual player. Also there was no shooting range. I'm amazed this game survived past it
>>
I played it about 3 years ago.

Had no idea what I was doing, massive grindfest and really badly optimized.
>>
>>383983494
wow this was fucking spot-on
Is there any reason they didn't use the ANT system in 2 or even lattice? There's clearly a reason it existed that way in the 1st game
>>
>>383983494
Was good up until he interviewed Buzzshitter
>>
>>383985221
They insisted in making MBTs one man vehicles as opposed to a driver/gunner setup because of "fun", something that mechanically complex never stood a chance.
>>
>>383985221
Because they wanted it to compete with Battlefield, and were worried that adding mechanics that didn't directly tie into combat would turn players off because its "boring".
>>
>>383985221

The ANT system never appeared originally because Planetside 2 ditched the systems PS1 used for base sieges and power struggles to promote faster, more focused gameplay. It was strictly a 3 way TDM modeled after Battlefield.

The "Hex" system PS2 debuted with was supposed to be the antithesis to PS1's lattice, promoting free movement and allowing people to capture territory across the map across all directions with any manner of player strategy.

To sum it up, that failed because the map and base design fucking sucked. The bases were intentionally designed to be arenas rather than fortresses but that created more problems than it fixed. The above ground, exposed spawn rooms certainly didn't fix the farming or stalemates, or the meat grinding.
>>
>>383985361
buzz is a fag but the man knows the game inside out
t. ps2g shitter
>>
>>383985076
>The skeleton crew dev team is what's hurting the game the most.
M8 the whole company is a skeleton crew. Reminder that Sony sold soe to an investment firm and they immediately gutted the staff. The game was doomed to a slow death the day of the sale.
>>
The reason why the bases are modular like they are though was because they ultimately wanted to give people the power to build their own bases and sculpt the flow of a map. That was waaay down the roadmap and obviously never happened.

That's why the initial continents are designed the way they are. The ultimate goal was to produce empty maps people would build and fight on.
>>
>>383985816
Yeah he knows the game, and the shit he bitches about in Mandalore's video is stuff he regularly had his outfit do, and never once complained about it on the forums or try to change/prevent these mechanics from being implemented in the first place, despite the obvious influence he had on the community.
t. ancient ps2g shitter from 2012 who left after the retard drama Frosty wasn't the only one to blame
>>
Even further down though was seamlessly joining the continents and making them part of one body so that a person could literally travel to, from, and between. I don't know how they were ever going to pull that off when you look at the engine.
>>
>>383985858
If that is true then its an utterly retarded development strategy. They either should have fully implemented their original construction plan pre-release or designed it to work properly as-is and worried about all of that later.
>>
File: 1497319322837.jpg (21KB, 199x246px) Image search: [Google]
1497319322837.jpg
21KB, 199x246px
>>383982413
Dunno. I quit after they nerfed crab walking VS tanks and made the TS tanks super rape sniper gatling fucking death machines.
>>
>>383986097
him and the other outfit leader whose name I forget murdered us with their stupid rivalry shittery. Doomzzg was also incredibly autistic and causing tons of behind the scenes drama between members. There were lots to blame
>>
>>383986210

I guess they wanted to try iterative design while it was live, taking community feedback going forward and refining stuff bit by bit as they went along.

Super big mistake because we've seen how it backfired.
>>
>>383986337
>Doomzzg was also incredibly autistic
Well he was Swedish.
>>
* we saw--how do i grammar
But poor management was a factor in it too, don't forget.
>>
>>383982413
higby lied
planetside died
>>
>>383986409
Yeah I see what they were attempting to do but it was just stupid even without hindsight. "Roadmapping" development post-launch on an obviously incomplete game never works out.
>>
File: drugs.gif (10KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
drugs.gif
10KB, 600x450px
>>383986097
I just realized the video is from "the" mandalore from the outfit, holy fuck has it really been 5 years since NOGF
>tfw no more flash races
>>
>>383986503

higby lied
Smed screwed them all over

if his account is to be believed
>>
Doesn't help that whenever the devs want to change something, the players have an autistic fit about how the game is actually perfect or something.
>>
>>383983387
The camos were the fucking worst, especially the ones that would make people on your faction resemble the other factions.

Also, remove Vanuniggers.
>>
>>383986609
GIRAFFE
CAMO
>>
File: 2012-11-30_00001.jpg (497KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-30_00001.jpg
497KB, 1920x1200px
>>383986568
>no more Sundy night max fights
Hurts going back through these old screens
>>
comfiest game

i like buying my esf and just flying around close to the ground while listening to stuff
>>
>>383986609
Playing TR I only use the 2014 Valentine's camo, bright red/pink and I stand out even at dark.
>>
>>383986839
>ikgrid
I forgot all about the beta waves that man made.
I remember so many people just looking at this screenshot, but I only played a few months. Fuckin weird
>>
lots and lots of fucking hackers
that's what ultimately made me stop, when every single fight would at least have one
>>
File: tr at the crown.png (408KB, 496x468px) Image search: [Google]
tr at the crown.png
408KB, 496x468px
>>
>>383983494
>tfw finding myself in this video
I didn't ask for these nostalgic feels.
>>
File: 1459312537725.jpg (96KB, 241x651px) Image search: [Google]
1459312537725.jpg
96KB, 241x651px
>>383983387
>8 dollars for a helmet only other people can see
>>
>>383983201
>Their mistake was intentionally making it a Battlefield clone thinking it'd be more profitable while telling the PS1 fanbase to go fuck themselves in favor of a crowd that mostly didn't know what Planetside even was.
The most distressing thing is NOBODY will learn from this.
>>
>>383988367
Who are you lad
>>
File: 1499150919841.png (87KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
1499150919841.png
87KB, 400x280px
>>383988926
grafics
I'm in the squad when he shows off the flash racing and nogf memeing.
good times
>>
File: 1349484898572.png (402KB, 1000x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1349484898572.png
402KB, 1000x1024px
>>
>>383982413
I graduated and entered the working life. Time just kept on moving forward.
>>
>>383989309
>stew360
I don't wanna remember
>>
>>383982413
good concept on paper but a clusterfuck in reality.
>>
Hmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg
>>
>Higby: "I love this job"

really makes you think
>>
I'm going back through years of the material on reddit and I don't doubt that IF (never gonna happen) they were given a do-over, Matt and the rest would hit it out of the park. PS2's current future looks pretty damn bleak though unless people choose to blindly sink thousands down the money pit and hope for the best; Hoping it wouldn't be funneled to H1Z1.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.