[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talk to me about those beautiful moments where you looked at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_0132.jpg (56KB, 900x510px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0132.jpg
56KB, 900x510px
Talk to me about those beautiful moments where you looked at a game and thought "Damn... Graphics just won't get better than this."

For me, one of those moments was seeing MGS 2 at a friends' house for the first time. It looked absolutely unreal to me, I had played the VR missions in MGS 1 before, so the leap was insane.
>>
>>383976567
I don't know if I've had that personally, but a friend of mine was always wowed by the prerendered cutscenes in Luigi's Mansion.
>>
>>383976873

Those looked pretty fucking good. PS2 / Gamecube era was when that wow thing started for me. N64 and PS1 games looked unbelievable to me, but just because of the three dimensions, not because of sheer graphical power.
>>
>>383976873
Just thought of something. Age of Empires 3 blew me away when I first saw it. Especially so when I saw buildings getting torn apart by cannon fire. Project Gotham Racing was another one I thought looked great. Right at the start of the Xbox life, too, so going from an N64 to that was pretty incredible
>>
>>383976567
FFVII's cutscenes. I don't think I've thought that since, but I played it a month or so after release and it is still a shocker looking back on replays.
>>
Animations are really what impresses me about graphics.

I remember first playing the rotoscoped Prince of Persia and being absolutely amazed by how real the animations were. I remember Syphon Filter on the PS1 impressing me because it would blend an aim animation with other animations. RAGE's procedural animations would be amazing if they didn't fuck up controls so much. Having characters move well for me gives a game much more life than high res textures or high poly counts do.
>>
>>383977389

As a 9-10 year old playing that as my first JRPG and Playstation game ever, that snake used to freak the fuck out of me. Those moments where you could control Cloud while a FMV was playing on the background were so cool...
>>
>>383977538

Did you play Jak & Daxter in the PS2 days? Naughty Dog designed so many animations for everything in that game, it was insane back then. It's still impressive to this day, considering it wasn't mo-cap, I think.
>>
After playing Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 I remember the day my brother got SMB3 for his birthday, and I saw the graphics and it blew my mind. I remember telling my dad it looked like the cartoon.

Later I saw an ad for Braindead 13 in EGM or something and I didn't believe it was a real game. I thought it was just a cartoon. I remember when I played Myst the first time and it had actual video of actors in it. That was really amazing.

If my little kid self could see games today he'd probably have a brain aneurysm.
>>
>>383977640
pre-rendered cutscenes need to come back.
>>
Fighting Poseidon in God of War 3
OP image
Metroid Prime demo of the first level
Mario 64 and actually having a 3D world, I did a literal double take
>>
>>383978050

That child wonder is amazing. I remember when me and my friends had very little money, so whenever someone rented a game or got one as a birthday gift or something, we would all call each other and go to a friend's house to see the newest games. They'd usually blow us away because graphics were constantly getting noticeably better with time.
>>
>>383978132
>prerendered cutscenes
No. That's how you get a gamesize of 100GB

Backgrounds are where the kino is
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/
>>
File: heathersunset.png (329KB, 625x402px) Image search: [Google]
heathersunset.png
329KB, 625x402px
>>383976567
I was blown away by how realistic the characters looked in Silent Hill 3. Everything about that game's visuals is great, and running at a higher resolution puts it on par with many games nowadays. Hell, I'd argue that Silent Hill 3's character models still look better than most games coming out nowadays.
>>
when mgs4 came out i remember thinking this. truly thought graphics would never be able to get better. game still looks good desu.
>>
>>383976567
The water effects in Bioshock blew me and my graphics card away when it came out.
>>
Most recently are the faces during cutscenes in Nioh
They all look absolutely superb and I feel like my tv wasn't doing them justice either
Just incredible
>>
Playing the Half-Life 2 demo was out of control. The facial animations are still great to this day.
>>
File: 1269657926364.png (5KB, 191x206px) Image search: [Google]
1269657926364.png
5KB, 191x206px
>>383976567

MGS2 was definitely one of those moments. Other than that

>NES for a while growing up, go to friend's and see SNES/Genesis and flip out
>trying N64 demo in-store for the first time, in complete awe of SM64's graphics and movement
>Dreamcast on Christmas, Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur just flooring me when it came to the graphics
>>
File: Uncharted 4.jpg (266KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Uncharted 4.jpg
266KB, 1280x720px
I had one of those moments while playing Uncharted 4. Pictures really don't capture how good games can look, you need to see it in action.

>inb4 sony fag
>>
>>383980120

For a game like Nioh that doesn't try to be the "best graphics" game, those faces look surprisingly good. It probably has some of the most realistic japanese faces in gaming. The westerners look fake.
>>
>>383980817

That whole moment in the first few chapters where you are at Nathan's house with Elena looks absurdly good.
>>
>>383980817
>30 fps
What a shame, really. The graphics actually look good but how choppy it runs really makes me appreciate them less.
>>
Plenty of times, but only in the 360 gen era and above because I knew there were potentially games with better graphics. I only remember Goldeneye impressing me when i was like 4 or something

The cutscenes from Ultimate Alliance (back when I had it on PS2)
The first Assassin's Creed
GTA 4
Red Dead Redemption
GTA 5 (was probably the most I've been impressed at the time, I always knew they could get better but this felt like a huge leap)
MGS Ground Zeroes I still think looks gorgeous, and the same with AC Unity.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>383983019
>Goldeneye
>4
>>
File: kcWJr.jpg (42KB, 436x567px) Image search: [Google]
kcWJr.jpg
42KB, 436x567px
>>383977389
>>
>>383979439

Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday, dear... Oh, I forgot your name... Oh... okay... Happy birthday dear hooaryou! Happy birthday to you!
>>
>>383976567
everyone will say I'm shit posting but when Oblivion came out I had never seen anything like it, graphically. It actually did a lot of shit other games hadn't at the time. Of course it's all ironic now because it's aged like milk
>>
Trying a demo of SSBM in Toys R Us. It blew my mind, the speed and smoothness.
>>
File: this.jpg (521KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
521KB, 1920x1080px
This scene /b/ro
>mfw games today only focuses on realism
>doesn't care about aesthethics anymore
h-hold me /b/ros
>>
Sometimes after a while of shut-in gaming I go outside and am amazed at how good the textures and tessellation is on everything.
>>
File: also this.jpg (650KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
also this.jpg
650KB, 1920x1080px
>>383986476
another one
>>
File: 15220564562_4bea0df35d.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
15220564562_4bea0df35d.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
>>383976567
Gran Turismo 4 at the time because it was photo realistic on CRTs, photo mode or gameplay.
>>
File: conch 3.png (851KB, 795x521px) Image search: [Google]
conch 3.png
851KB, 795x521px
>"Damn... Graphics just won't get better than this."
>weakest hardware at the time
>>
File: 43125i129.jpg (302KB, 1275x719px) Image search: [Google]
43125i129.jpg
302KB, 1275x719px
Haven't been impressed since Crysis honestly

Since then it's been small improvements
>>
>>383986476
What game is this please? My kind of comfy.
>>
>>383986603
Man this isn't even the best vista to show off, this one looks particularly bad.

>>383987517
Bioshock Infinite
>>
>>383980418
The diminishing returns on the wow factor really suck after sixth gen.
>>
>>383987442
Yeah for me it was definitely Crysis
Funny how there used to be all this talk about "Can your machine run Crysis?" and all of this misinformation how Crysis was just too strong for modern day hardware
But later you just learned that it was optimized shittily
But hey, it looked good; for like, years too.
>>
Resident Evil 4.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (447KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
447KB, 1920x1080px
>>383976567
Playing GTAIV with this ENB
To be honest it looked like shit in motion 99% of the time
But man, when it looked good, it looked GOOD
Led to all sorts of experimentation with ENBs after that, good times
>>
When I played a race for the first time in Gran Turismo 3 (was bundled with my new ps2).
I couldn't believe how real the cars looked. Especially after the eye cancer that was GT2.
Don't know why, but I always thought GT1 looked better than 2.
>>
>>383988415
why are you posting pictures of real life?
>>
>>383977245
Oh man seeing the reflections of ships in the water and people getting flung into the air by cannon shot was fucking amazing.
>>
Late ps2/xbox era. Games like MGS3, silent hill 3, resident evil 4 and ninja gaiden still look great in hd and are actually fun to play unlike modern eye candy open world shit.
>>
Getting a 3dfx card in the late 90s, I can't even remember the specs or the model, I know it was pre-Voodoo2 though. Playing Quake 2 on it, going from software to hardware accelerated, holy fucking shit.
>>
The first Wing Commander. When i started a mission and the pilot and techs ran to the craft and it showed that little sequence where the canopy closed. Jaw lost.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.