[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your honest opinion on the competitive Pokemon scene?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 66

File: dZIk8wW.jpg (426KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dZIk8wW.jpg
426KB, 1800x1200px
What is your honest opinion on the competitive Pokemon scene?
>>
If it weren't for IV/EV training, which I assume are still a thing, it'd be more appealing to me. I can't justify that level of autism, though.
>>
>>383966653
You haven't seen me savescumming for 99-Speed rookie running backs in Madden

Any game is susceptible to that level of autism
>>
>>383966512
Pretty much everyone who plays is circumventing the egg autism and IV shit by using some form of cheating. And the funniest part is that Gamefreak outright supports it, like they know that their own inbuilt system is fucking garbage.
>>
>>383966653
You havent heard of Pokemon Showdown?
Its a simulator, you can add any Pokemon with whatever EVs/IVs you want. Its probably the most popular way to play.
>>
>>383966512
>>383966653
EV's and IV's are literally the most pointless bullshit ever, like seriously, what's the point? To waste more of my fucking time wasting my time to breed good natures, abilities and moves so I can waste my time grinding and then waste my time battling virtual monsters?
>>
>>383966653
People just use poke hex to make their pokemans now. Perfect IV's and EVs and natures and hidden skills.
>>
Pokemon reboot when?
>>
File: 1479764482730.png (509KB, 800x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1479764482730.png
509KB, 800x1094px
I simultaneously enjoy it and miss the days when me and my friends just picked whatever 6 Pokemon we thought were cool.
Also, reminder that doubles is the patrician way to play.
>>
>>383966512

It was fun. But the pokemon they kept adding got stupider and stupider. So I stopped.

Also it was amusing to do the opposite of what your opponent expects and win every single time because they've only memorized a small number of outcomes they read on Smogon.
>>
The only good thing to come out of competitive pokemon was that Pachirisu final battle.
>>
>>383966512

There's some strong, varied strategies and several supported power level tiers to play in.

As long as you're playing on a simulator that is. Playing with people who invested their time into IV/EV training creates an immense wall for entry, and when such people lose they're incredible sore losers.
>>
>playing on cart
why would you do this
>>
>>383967139
Im trying to learn programming to make my own
Im lazy though

I think a competitive turn based game has lots of potential but Game Freak doesnt know how to balance
>>
File: 1472950382658.png (246KB, 627x634px) Image search: [Google]
1472950382658.png
246KB, 627x634px
>>
>>383967185
There's literally nothing stopping you from continuing to pick what you think is cool going full autism with selective breeding, IVs and EV training. Before I lost interest in the series I would do exactly that and it was tons of fun.
>>
Meta is shit right now. Remove frogs, Lele, and Dugtrio and I'll play consistently again.
>>
File: 1495495430895.jpg (25KB, 344x326px) Image search: [Google]
1495495430895.jpg
25KB, 344x326px
I genuinely hate it. Pokemon, to me at least, has always been about just grabbing some of your favorite cartoon animal freaks and going on an adventure through the world each game has. The fact that lots of people will basically tear down that experience for themselves through constant min/maxing of stats, only taking the "correct" Pokemon, and savescumming until they get the extremely specific set up for a Pokemon is gross. I understand that a lot of people enjoy both and enjoy going up against other people online, but it just feels like it spits in the face of everything Pokemon tries to push. Every game pushes the idea of sticking with the Pokemon you like rather than what is good, building them up over multiple hours of adventuring, and being willing to catch/use whatever you find that's interesting. Hell, I think there was even an Elite Four member that said something about using your favorites or some shit. I just think the constant focus on numbers and how "viable" a Pokemon is goes against everything the series tries to push. Yeah, it's a game that people can enjoy however they want. But it still seems kinda gross.

Small side story that kinda goes along with that:

>Mother recently got into Pokemon go, calls to tell me all the new Pokemon she caught and her personal favorites
>Tells me she started to meet others in the community that go around battling gyms, she tries it
>Over time, she is told what the best Pokemon are and how IVs work and other min/max shit
>Now all she talks about is how her Chansey isn't the right IV for her to turn into a Blissey, or how her Pokemon don't have the optimal move set

Kinda ruins the magic even for people that don't play the main games.
>>
File: lana4.jpg (95KB, 1024x631px) Image search: [Google]
lana4.jpg
95KB, 1024x631px
>>383967515
>Machop
>special IV
>>
>>383967707
>tfw normies know about IVs now
>>
>>383967515
> imma earthquake all you motherfuckers

and everybody laughed at that kid who wasted their TM26 on Charizard just to feel cool.
>>
>>383967185
This.

It was back in g4 for me, and all of us had Action Replay carts, our format was doubles, and we played essentially Ubers. I wanted to be the best, and my bro was Darkrai, I ran a full lockdown and nuke comp. Core two pokemon were Darkrai and Dyoxis attack. I would just spam dark void until Darkrai fainted, but at that point I had enough of a lead that I could just sweep.
>>
>>383967976
Yeah, she talks about how they use some kind of outside program because the in-game system just tells you if your Pokemon is good or bad. It's not specific enough, so they use other programs to judge whether the Pokemon is a viable IV to use for fighting gyms. I literally listened to her complain the other day because her Gyrados she apparently got didn't have the right moves, that it had Twister which wasn't the "best".

It's like goddamn, you're playing a game about small cartoon animals that encourages friendship and adventure. Stop fretting over shit like that.
>>
it shoyuld be real time based on pokemon speed
>>
>>383967707
>Stop having fun how I dont like
There are just some mons that are blatantly better than others

In a competitive environment, people play to win. Cant blame them if GF blatantly makes the game unbalanced and adds retarded systems like IVs
>>
File: 1479005743322.png (112KB, 604x567px) Image search: [Google]
1479005743322.png
112KB, 604x567px
>>383968195
>tfw Dark Void Smeargle cancer in VGC is dead
Of course, VGC the last few years has been shit for other reasons, but thank god.
>>
Honestly,
the moves U-turn and Volt Switch make the game so much less fun
Theyre moves that remove the need for predicition in a game all about prediction
>>
>>383968269
> stop fretting over shit like that

Twister is a lousy move, they have every right to be upset.
>>
File: 1451361128426.jpg (126KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451361128426.jpg
126KB, 1280x720px
>>383966512
Anyone who says Gen 4 wasn't the best and most fun in competitive play is a liar.

Smogon is shit now because they ban fun gimmicky strats and don't change how their tiering structure works to accommodate the increase in the number of Pokemon.
>>
When will GF remove IV/EV shit or at least streamline it?
>>
>>383966998
The devs don't, but the Pokemon Company International (the guys that organized official tournaments) do. Their hack checks are flimsy and they blatantly look the other way on more than a few pro players.
Hell, the guy who would be 2014's World Champ got busted on stream in the finals, walked away with the trophy, and now he gets paid to come back and commentate.
>>
>>383967185
>Doubles
>Patrician
You're not fooling anyone, VGC shill.
>>
>>383968576
They've already streamlined it in Gen 6 though, what more do you fucking want?
>>
File: 1480180716006.png (166KB, 319x403px) Image search: [Google]
1480180716006.png
166KB, 319x403px
>tfw too much of a brainlet to hack Pokemon
>>
>>383966512
Autism incarnate
>>
>>383968345
>Game about friendship and adventure with cartoon animals
>Game and show both constantly reinforce the idea of using the Pokemon you like rather than what's objectively best
>You can't blame people if there are just better Pokemon!

Playing to win defeats the purpose of the game's entire set up. You're supposed to play to have fun and use your favorites. Stop treating a kid's game like a serious competition, it's stupid.
>>
File: 1421278485010.png (31KB, 803x600px) Image search: [Google]
1421278485010.png
31KB, 803x600px
>>383968576
Never because than you wouldn't be able to transfer your mons over, i mean you probably could if gamefreak was competent, but they aren't.

also

>tfw we will never get a non-gamefreak pokemon game
>>
File: C9FizpeUMAEcNII.png (376KB, 816x400px) Image search: [Google]
C9FizpeUMAEcNII.png
376KB, 816x400px
>>383966512
Wait, people play Pokemon competitively?
>>
>>383968689
The need to not grind for items and more information to let the player know what gives what EV
>>
>>383968781
Nah, the point of a GAME is to have fun
If competitive is how you have fun then theres nothing wrong with that
>>
>>383966653

They've made both much less of an issue. You don't even need to play the game to ev train anymore. I.V's are slightly fixed in a stupid way that later games should fix.
>>
>>383968537
The "fast" move as its called it always pretty shit. Stuff like Water Gun or Scratch are common. It's the charge move that matters, which she said it had like Hydro Pump or Hyper Beam. The fast move is basically just a buffer until your bigger move charges up. So it doesn't make that much of a difference. But it's not optimal, so nah, into the trash it goes.
>>
>>383968971
There's plenty wrong if it shits on the community as a whole. If your sole focus in a competition is to win, then that can easily bring down the experience for others. And since your method of having fun is done through online play, your actions directly impact the community and other players.

In essence, you having fun can shit on other people having fun with the actual message behind the game. You could be competitive in a way that isn't min/maxed to hell, but since people want to just win they go ahead and do that.
>>
>>383968901
Nigga, they made EV training goddamn mini-game in Gen 6 and they added hyper training in Gen 7.

You have no right to bitch.
>>
It's a complete joke.
>>
>>383968689

Scrap I.V's altogether.

At least hyper training not actually setting the stat to perfect made hidden power 9 billion times easier to work with. Finally have a legit usable HP Fire Magnezone.
>>
File: 1481983-kingwondering.jpg (23KB, 480x340px) Image search: [Google]
1481983-kingwondering.jpg
23KB, 480x340px
>>383969251
This sounds like a classic case of "mad cuz bad". How does other people playing to win affect how others have fun, other than sore losers? You could git gud, or, here's a novel idea: not care about it like 90% of the player base.
And, if you go online in ranked, don't give the bullshit "I only play for fun!" excuse. There's unranked for that, and friends that you can play with.
>>
>>383969251
There are millions of people who still enjoy the game despite the competitive scene, I really dont see how it gets in the way of other player's enjoyment of the series.

Like I said, if anything, blame GF and their shitty balance
>>
File: 1362877895017.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1362877895017.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
Gen 4 is the last Pokemon gen as far as I'm concerned. Gen 5 is respectable but I disagree. The 3DS Pokemon games are fucking garbage.
>>
>>383967515
>earthquake
>not hyper beam
lmao
>>
>>383968901

Gen 7 has a feature that lets you pick a stat to raise without playing and tells you exactly how much it's gone up.
>>
>>383966512
I like watching sped up Showdown matches but I would never play an actual match against someone.
>>
>>383969363
why?
>>
>>383969402
Just remove hidden power
Stupid fucking "everyone can have a move of any type" bullshit
>>
IV and EV training has never been easier. it barely requires grinding to get a Penta or Hexaperfect pokemon. Then you EV grind for an hour and bam, it's done. You do that in a day and you're set. Some egg moves are harder to breed than the right IVs at this point.

Competitive Pokemon is pretty fun when in a diverse format, but I don't think I'd ever get really deeply into it. It's enjoyable, but going to actual tournaments doesn't appeal to me.
>>
>>383969680

Fuck that, too many of my favourites need it. Also to be pendantic, there is no HP Fairy.
>>
>>383968502
I can't help but agree.

They really should nerf their damage to make them less important.

This is how I'd fix competitive Pokemon:
>Nerfs to Volt-Turn damage output by a third.
>Give the moves Bulldoze and Steamroller the ability to remove entry hazards (make Bulldoze no longer a TM as well).
>Buff Rapid Spin to inflict all of the damage/effects you would receive when switching in onto the opponent when you clear hazards.
>Grass or Ice-Type stealth rock clone, does not stack with SR. Toxic Spikes no longer stacks with Spikes.
>Nerf Landorus to have the same BST as the other two.
>Remove Team Preview for 6v6 matches. You can still select which Pokemon you lead with.
>>
>>383966512
Apparently Mega Rayquaza is so OP that he only belongs in the tier where there are no rules. That's pretty funny.
>>
>>383969507
>He liked diamond and pearl
what the fuck, anon. Platinum is the only game that redeemed that horrible generation.
>>
>>383969251
But what if my favorite pokemon are the best pokemon? Is that somehow an invalid answer?
>>
>>383966845
Fair games aren't.
>>
>>383969425
>People min/max online using specific Pokemon teams and set-ups
>To "git gud" requires matching that if not going further
>Others then continue that trend until people are basically just looking up what teams they need to win

Other people solely focusing on winning encourages the rest of the community to do the same because otherwise they have very little chance of even matching another player. Gitting gud eventually just turns into everyone doing the same shit, similar to that one competition everyone laughs at of both players sending out the exact same Pokemon for a double fight.

That's not even my problem anyway. The entire point I started with was the fact that it goes against what the games, shows, and everything surrounding the series tries to push. The games constantly try to get players to use new Pokemon, pick their favorites, and explore the world. Then people get the mentality that nah, gotta use this specific Pokemon with this specific type for optimal competition chances. Which is gross. If that's how you have fun, fine. But the thread asked what we felt about it, and I think it's stupid.
>>
File: 3-PokeColS04.jpg (29KB, 292x240px) Image search: [Google]
3-PokeColS04.jpg
29KB, 292x240px
>>383968804
>we will never get a non-gamefreak pokemon game
>He doesn't know
>>
>>383968808
Are they praying towards Mecca?
>>
>>383969314
Slower than actual EV grinding
>>
>>383969817
>Even bothering to count the initial releases of any gen ever
Retarded.
Platinum and Heart Gold/Soul Silver cannot be competed with.
>>
>>383969764

>GF turning a mons BST down
>Ever.

They don't want people bitching about their bros having a stat reduction. It's why they won't do needed rebalances for gen 1-3 mons.
>>
>>383968552
I personally enjoyed the weather wars of gen 5
>>
Its the reason I never want to play online really. Competitive Pokemon doesn't appeal to me. Its all autistic shit really.
>>
>>383969796

As one of the 3 legendaries that ever does his damn job, he deserves it.

A shame GF blocked Mega Ray from having Z moves.
>>
>>383969479
It really only gets in the way of how some people play the game at times. The competition aspect can bring down the entire message of the series, which is gross. If people can enjoy both sides of the games, that's great. But I think the competitive side is stupid with the min/maxing of fucking cartoon animals meant for friendship and adventure.

And yeah, GF may have shitty balance in their games, but players still happily take advantage of it because it's the only way they'll win! That's what matters after all.
>>
>>383969991

Pelago lets you ev train without even playing.
>>
>>383969935
Everyone does and can pick their favorites when exploring the world. Competitive has nothing to do with the actual story, most people do it as post-game content, when you are, as the games tell you to be, trying to become the best trainer. Whether you do that with your clowny NU/UU team or you enjoy playing with OU/Ubers, who cares? Competitive existing doesn't hurt the STORY at all, you fucking ape.
>>
>>383967707
>Mother gets into Pokémon go
>Starts talking about IVs
wat
>>
>>383969898
Nah, that's cool. But if you constantly savescum or throw out Pokemon based around their specific stat set ups and natures, then that's shitty.
>>
>>383969935
A byproduct of diversity is that some things are better than others. In a game that allows multiplayer, a meta will develop around the best stuff no matter what. Wishful thinking doesn't stop people from using the same small pool of monsters over and over, better game design does.
>>
>>383966512
It's retarded.
>>
>>383969912
Are you retarded? Just play on Showdown.
>>
>>383970012
>HG/SS as good games
>thinks gen 4 doesn't count D/P
It seems the retard is you, my friend.
>>
File: Lana_Swimsuit.gif (4MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Lana_Swimsuit.gif
4MB, 600x338px
Stopped giving a fuck. It's clear the competitive isn't thought out for 800+ Pokemon

Also fuck Game Freak for getting rid of the National Dex. If it's not in USUM I'm dropping this fucking series
>>
>>383966512
Very gay, very autistic. I am a superior person to every competitive pokemon player because I am not a competitive pokemon player.
>>
>>383970226

They exist in GO for some stupid reason.
>>
>remove IVs
>only EVs
>remove pokemon switching and instead include more attacks that swap out to different pokemon
>increase move pool to 5 or 6
>balance the base stat distribution

Would this make it better or worse?
>>
>>383969507
Honestly, Gen 2 and 5 are the only good gens in my opinion.

Gen 2 was like a sequel that fixed most of the glaring flaws of Gen 1, added 100 new mons, a brand new region to explore, and even allowed you to go back to Kanto and fight the original Kanto region gym leaders, as well as Red.

Gen 5 on the other hand was like playing Gen 1 again. You had a whole new region with over 100 different pokemon to discover, and since every pokemon in Gen 5 was a pokemon that you hadn't seen before, it made you figure out your new team without falling back on the usual suspects.

Gen 1 was buggy as hell, Gen 3 lost my attention due to the shitty water routes, Gen 4 had probably the second weakest pokedex out of all the gens released so far, and Gen 6 was not only easier than any other pokemon game so far, but it also introduced the shitty mega-evolutions as well.

Haven't played SuMo yet so I can't give an opinion on that yet.
>>
>>383970248
But my favorite pokemon. My favorite specific pokemon will be the one with the exact nature and IVs, Moveset and EVs I want.

Is that wrong? If so, why? My favorite pokemon is no less valid than your favorite pokemon. You just had an easier time getting yours.
>>
>>383970319
>>remove pokemon switching and instead include more attacks that swap out to different pokemon

Cancer.
>>
>>383966512
>esportsing a children's game
It's always been hilarious to me, even as someone doesn't usually judge someone for liking stuff me for younger people.
>1v1 me in popamatic Trouble
>I kicked the can, ollyollyoxenfree SON
>YAHTZEE, get bodied biatch!
It's a jock in a diaper. Never not hilarious.
>>
>>383969991
>Slower than actual EV grinding
Yet it's also way more fun.
>>
File: 1423103498251.jpg (44KB, 415x303px) Image search: [Google]
1423103498251.jpg
44KB, 415x303px
>>383966512
>competitive pokemon

Grow up you fucking nerds
>>
>>383970193
Where did I say competitive hurts the story? I said it hurts the message of the series, which it does. That's why I don't like the competitive scene as it hurts the overall theme behind the games when players are focusing on stat alignments and natures and shit.

>>383970226
It apparently impacts how much you can power them up with your current trainer level or something. I don't know the details because it certainly doesn't interest me to listen to her talk about what percentage her Blissey is at.
>>
>>383970351
>Haven't played SuMo yet so I can't give an opinion on that yet.

Wait for the Ultra versions.
>>
>>383970319
>remove switching
Worse. You're removing the one aspect of the game that is most important to competitive. Whether you give more pokemon switching moves is irrelevant unless every single pokemon has one.
>Increased movepool
You'll turn every sweeper into a better sweeper, no you ape.
>Fix BST distribution
In what way? Making all pokemon equal, that won't help. Shitty movepools and bad typing > good stats.
>>
>>383969764
This is what I would do
>nerf u-turn and vswitch by having you choose the switch in before your opponent makes their move, essentially the same as a switch but with damage
>remove stealth rock, slightly increase damge of spikes, give spikes and rapid spin more usage
>remove hidden power
>>
>>383970296
Good god they are a bunch of pedos aren't they
>>
>>383970649

She's nothing compared to Lillie.
>>
>>383969764
I think team preview is essential
Remember, in chess both teams are exactly the same.
In order to have a truly competitive turn based game you need to know what your opponent can do
>>
File: Unf.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Unf.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>383970649
Don't know what you're talking about
>>
File: herp fight.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
herp fight.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>383966512
I'm tired of it. The gen 7 powercreep was the last straw.

In fact, I hate it on a fundamental level. The whole concept of constantly switching and one shotting/stalling shit is tedious and doesn't capture the spirit of the series at all for me. I like everything about Pokemon except the gameplay.
>>
>>383970103
Hey what do you got against Rayquaza? He's my favorite pokemon.
>>
>>383970569
I thought the new SuMo games were sequels.
>>
>>383968434
Why would an Incineroar use a fighting move instead of a fire one on a bug type
>>
>>383970351
>Haven't played SuMo yet so I can't give an opinion on that yet.
Don't bother, it's the worst one yet
>>
>>383966653
There's a huge gap between the time and tedium required between playing the single player and multiplayer. What the fuck are they doing?

The single player is designed for children who don't even have to bother using more than one Pokemon and the multiplayer is designed for min/max horseshit where every single Pokemon needs to be perfect in every minute way, otherwise you put yourself at an inherent disadvantage since you bet your ass if you're not willing to put up with the tedium, your opponent will. You could say well, that's part of the game. The best "trainer" should win. I say it's boring and tedious and ruins any appeal the multiplayer had for me.
>>
>>383966512
Exactly the same as the competitive smash scene
You can make it look impressive, but that doesn't change what game you're playing.
>>
>>383970250
Sure, but I don't have to like the meta. I don't have the like what people seem to naturally gravitate towards doing. This thread was asking about a specific competitive scene, and that's how I feel about it. I think it's stupid and brings the games down due to the message getting lost. Better game design may have prevented that a bit, but I don't know if even perfect game design with prevent players from finding the "optimal" way to play.

>>383970393
Why would your favorite Pokemon include a specific nature and nearly hidden numbers alongside it? Do you really like a Snorlax less if it doesn't have a specific value in its stats?

What is wrong about that mentality is that you and I could have the exact same favorite Pokemon, but because the one you caught didn't have the exactly correct nature, it goes in the trash. Which is stupid.
>>
>>383970769

How does that post imply negative thoughts about Ray?

>>383970775
They're calling it an alternate story ala Emerald/Platinum and they have the same protags.
>>
>>383970753
>>383970649
Sorry, is that plank of wood supposed to be portrayed as sexy?
>>
>>383970794
Welp, out with it, how did they fuck it up?

I know Mega-Evolutions are a given considering that was the thing for Gen 6, but I'm wondering how they fucked up the pokedex or the gameplay.
>>
File: 1487096631512.png (785KB, 900x929px) Image search: [Google]
1487096631512.png
785KB, 900x929px
This thread needs more NUBS
>>
>>383970891
Oh I thought "never does his damn job" meant you were angry at his role in the meta or something.
>>
>>383970891
>They're calling it an alternate story ala Emerald/Platinum and they have the same protags.
Why not just make a third game then?

It makes no sense to make two games when they aren't direct sequels like B2/W2
>>
>>383966653
This.

The competitive side of Pokemon is actually pretty cool and would be a fun extra gameplay option post game if the autistic ev's and iv's weren't there. It essentially turns pokemon from a game to a calculator.
>>
>>383967185
anon you can still play that way as long as you're smart about it. I regularly use mono type teams and battle and win with them online on game cartridge battles. Make the team your heart desires.
>>
File: C2Ly-HpUUAI-mQb.jpg (197KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C2Ly-HpUUAI-mQb.jpg
197KB, 900x1200px
>>383971003
I love cute Pokemon pics.
>>
>>383969680
Agreed
Specialfags need to burn
>>
>>383970480
>he says while browsing /v/
>>
File: 472.gif (323KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
472.gif
323KB, 200x200px
Gen 4 is undeniably the best but I still had fun with 5, if nothing more than just because it became a sort of social platform to continue fucking around with e-friends I made during Gen 4.
Haven't bothered with competitive since about a year after ORAS came out but I don't have to to tell it's shit. I'd be more upset if SM had more designs I liked but alas.
>>
>>383971037

It says ever does his damn job. IE slapping his bros into line in Emerald/stopping the Meteor in ORAS/stabbing Zinna in Emerald. Ho-oH and Giratina are the other two. Ho-oH stops the big bad from escaping in Colosseom and Giratina eats Cyrus when he chains up Dialga and Palkia.

>>383971084

Because paired releases sell more copies then single games.
>>
>>383966512
There are too many competitively underpowered and overpowered pokemans for it to be a serious thing.

Also you fuckers hack whatever pokemans you like instead of ever training anything. Fuck you.
>>
>>383971087
This. Playing Yellow on the virtual console was so liberating. I could catch whatever I wanted and slap whatever stat exp I wanted on them without caring even a little bit.
>>
>>383970854
We don't have the same exact favorite pokemon. Your favorite pokemon is whatever Snorlax you caught and you love it and you taught it all your favorite moves and you adventure with it

My favorite norlax is the one with a Careful nature, 188 EVs in HP, 144 in Defense, and 176 in Speed.

Your favorite is "Whichever one I caught" my favorite is "The best one I can possibly make" that shouldn't be any less of a proper choice, unless you're saying my choice would only be valid if I randomly encountered the perfect snorlax in the wild and didn't breed it.
>>
>>383971087
>>383971087
Competitive pokemon would still be shitty with or without EV/IV's.

You're talking about a competitive scene where you take 6 pokemon out of 800+, not including Mega-Evolutions, and expecting more than a small handful to actually be balanced for competitive play.
>>
>>383966653
>>383971087
IVs are a fucking horrible system but I think EVs are fine. It adds more customization ability to each pokemon. EV training is horrible though, the tedium is the reason I don't play on cart.
>>
>>383971087
you can gen, ask people to gen, or better yet just play on a simulator. removing the grinding tedium and rolling for stats is a trivial thing to do
>>
>>383966512

>Gen 4 trainer
>Scald

Scald didn't exist yet. Come on /v/, I thought you were supposed to be autistic.
>>
>>383970226
It's a lot less surprising than you might think. Before she stopped playing my wife downloaded and IV checker and anything that didn't have the IVs she wanted was turned into food.
>>
>>383971463
EV training is hardly an issue if you use the Power items and have Pokerus.
>>
>>383971391
that is literally why tiers and banlists exist
>>
>>383971591
they're obviously playing on showdown you mong
>>
File: 1481071205518.gif (2MB, 195x421px) Image search: [Google]
1481071205518.gif
2MB, 195x421px
>>383970938
You're imagining things
>>
>>383967707
>>383968781
>>383969251
>>383969935
>>383970536
Anon you just have to understand that there is two different ways to play these games and two different types of people who play pokemon. Those like you who enjoy it for the light hearted adventure, and those that like that and the much more complex almost hidden game underneath all that.

Competitive pokemon is a really amazing game once you learn and get into it, all the different min maxing and making ever so small adjustments to your team trying to out predict your opponent in the most complex game of rock paper scissors ever is exhilarating to me and many other players.

ALSO IMPORTANT the idea that you have to use top tier pokemon to win is bunk. There are tons of people who play using their favourites and love coming up with special builds for them to make them better and work with your team

And that's another thing creating teams that work together with everyone having specific roles and just all working perfectly together feels amazing and makes me bond with my team probably as much as the story.

Long story short you can still love and appreciate your pokemon while playing competitively. People like different things.
>>
>>383966512
Mostly fun. I'm not into the current meta due to the overabundance of tanks, but I really enjoyed Gen VI comp and even played some tournaments where I won an Eevee plush.
>>
>>383971110
>>383967570
Nah, I get that, I use fucking Buneary as a supportmon on my team for fun, with Fake Out, Helping Hand, Endeavor, and Healing Wish. I meant it more like I miss the times when I could blindly do stupid shit like put Solarbeam on Aggron to fuck over my friend's equally stupid bromon and not be autistic about it, and have a whole team of Pokemon I just thought were cool without thinking about competitive.
That said, I still love making new teams now and trying to build my favorites in ways that they can be useful.
>>
>>383971678
no they don't
nobody wants to play on your shitty fan made rules where you just ban everything you can't beat you delusional smogonfag
>>
>>383971450
It's less of a proper choice because your favorite in the game isn't even a Pokemon really. It's a series of numbers attached to a Pokemon that is the best of its kind possible for competitive play. Once again, the fact that you'd likely trash a Pokemon because it doesn't have very specific values is stupid. It's a game about animal buddies going through an adventure, not about the calculated numbers that show whether they are viable or not.

Your choice is absolutely lesser because it's based on numbers rather than what you actually care about. Who cares if the Snorlax isn't a Careful nature, it's fucking Snorlax that's a giant sleeping ball of fat that wrecks shit. That alone should be enough, but it isn't. It has to be a specific kind of Snorlax with these numbers and these stats and these natures and these...
>>
File: lana5.jpg (77KB, 719x1199px) Image search: [Google]
lana5.jpg
77KB, 719x1199px
>>383971760
Lana backwards is
>>
>>383971591
>pointing out details this insignificant and specific
looks like you're the autist here
>>
>>383971837
>t's a game about animal buddies going through an adventure
they're just pixels on a screen you colossal autist, not your "animal buddies"
>>
File: Lana is a Gem.gif (664KB, 330x282px) Image search: [Google]
Lana is a Gem.gif
664KB, 330x282px
>>383971902
Gem!
>>
does no one itt understand how tiers work

shitmons are competitive in the lower tiers and lower tiers do not somehow imply a worse or less enjoyable metagame. xy uu was a far more balanced and interesting metagame than its ou incarnation
>>
These are your US Pokemon Video Game finalists for tonight. Say something nice about them!
>>
>>383971819
Okay but there is a ban list online on the battle spot to you sperg.
>>
>>383971391
>He actually thinks spending hours walking in circles waiting for RNG to line up in your favour is good design
I can't comprehend the logic behind anti-hacking fags. Everyone should hack, then everyone can actually get to battling.

>>383971637
It's not a huge problem but it's still pretty tedious, especially if you want to try a lot of different pokemon or test different spreads. It's an easily solvable problem too, let protein/carbos etc. work past 100 EVs.
>>
>>383971992
Is Ray still alive or did he get the boot for hacking?
>>
>>383971819
>hurr what are banlists
ag literally exists for people like you. go play that instead
>>
>>383971837
>it's not enough for you
Yes, and that still doesn't mean that the snorlax I trained and bred for and gave egg moves isn't my favorite pokemon. It is, but you're saying that it isn't good enough that it's my favorite pokemon. It needs to be my favorite based upon YOUR criteria, and your criteria would mean that I'm not playing with my favorite pokemon.

So in a way, you're telling me not to play with my favorites.
>>
>>383971450

Similar idea here. I like making successers. I recently made my 20th Mewtwo.

>Kanto born
>Timid with 0 attack
>Every ribbon it can earn except the compliation ribbon for gen 3/4 contests. (Hoping gen 8 only adds one new non facility ribbon just to fix the row)
>Hyper trained all its non attack stats.

Hopefully I don't need to replace it anytime soon.
>>
>>383972090
nah i'll just keep playing the official games instead of your shitty fangame :)
>>
>>383971819
lots of people like the rules

RU is where lots of bro pokemon are competitive and actually really good.
>>
>>383972076
see >>383968593
>>
>>383969764
>singles
>>
>>383971802
trick room is a hell of a drug
>>
File: aut.jpg (515KB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
aut.jpg
515KB, 3264x1952px
ask a full on autist anything
>>
>>383966512
Tryhards attempting to make something big out of something that isn't big. That's all it is.
>>
>>383972193
What a life, God bless
>>
>>383972238
>Semifinals

Is that why you gave up?
>>
>>383971775
>Majority of people here complaining about how broken the game is
>GF is terrible and Pokemon are unbalanced!
>There are too many Pokemon which means some are objectively better!
>They should remove this mechanic!

Yeah, really sounds like a complex game of rock, paper, scissors. I get that people can enjoy different sides of a game. I get that there is depth to it and you do have some wiggle room in what team you use. But not everyone treats it as such, and not everyone enjoys it in a way that makes them care about their team. There are many that treat the games as glorified calculators, constantly building specific numbers until they get a set up that's greater than other people. To them, winning is everything and if they have to look up a specific team to do that, they will.

And that's why I don't like the competitive scene. Not because it's a mess of broken, poorly thought out systems (even though it is), but because the message of the game gets away from people throughout all the number crunching. Not everyone has your perspective, which often times is the face of the competitive scene for Pokemon.
>>
>>383972238
what's it like having the biggest dick in a microdick contest?
>>
>>383972175
official game has shitty rules too tho
>>
>>383972225
Trick Room is GOAT
On the other hand, I can't get into weather teams at all.
>>
>>383972238
What compels you to play a garbage format like VGC?
>>
Lads, hacking devalued my comfy shiny hunting experience, what are some games where I can mindlessly grind for and collect pointless shit
>>
>>383972238

What do you think of the metagame now as opposed to Gen 4. I haven't seriously play Pokemon since Gen 4 so I'd like to know how people feel with all these changes.
>>
>>383972314
why do people make posts like these. you don't know shit about competitive pokemon, haven't participated in it, but you have this reactionary opinion that it is literally hitler. like goddamn why do you care so much
>>
>>383972460
vgc '14 and '15 were really fun, even with all the genie nonsense in '15. '16 was the worst thing that ever happened and '16 has such a shitty pool of pokemon it's not even worth it.

'17 will be good though

z-moves are shit. RIP megas
>>
>>383972314
Can you please go play UU on Showdown and realize you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>383971802
I always included at least one hard counter move of my Pokemon. Like flamethrower on Golem.
>>
File: 1345144793913.jpg (276KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1345144793913.jpg
276KB, 900x900px
>>383966512

All shit, the whole thing goes down to pure math so what you want to do is go for the strongest team

I don't really give a shit about the EVs/IVs since i love pokemon for the sake of traveling with a bunch of creatures but looking at the competitive scene makes me puke
>>
>>383972119
I'm basically just saying what the game says 24/7. What the shows say, what everything surrounding the series says. Use the Pokemon you like, not because they're the best, but because you like what they are and how you went through the game with them. If you want to view it as my criteria alone, that's fine. But at the end of the day that kinda further fuels my point that the message of the series has been lost to a lot of people. Number crunching and constant breeding for the perfect version of what you like basically just tells me that you don't like the Pokemon that much, but instead only like it in a very specific, calculated form.

So, again, you don't even really like the Pokemon. You like the numbers and anything that doesn't have those numbers is trash.
>>
>>383966512
I don't play it much.
Pokemon is mostly catching cool stuff and getting favorites, like a shiny Golisopod for me.
I did online battles once, for a free shiny mewtwo gift, and somehow managed to win several times with a hackjob team of a random gardevoir, shedinja, and altaria.
>>
>they make getting EVs even fucking easier
>people still bitch

It's an RPG. You grind in those. Big fuckin deal. If you just want to dick around with friends, you could just go full Sp attack or attack and then speed. IVs are where the actual autism is, and that's getting progressively easier to set up too.

I see the argument though. Why even have these in the first place? Well, they add some longevity to the game (or did, anyway) and they make your pokemon hella badass. I was kinda in the same boat before I started. After I caught my mons, EV training gave me something to do.
>>
>>383972424
i play vgc because it's the only format people play on cart. i'll stomp you in the format of your choosing hit me up on showdown
>>
>>383972454
every game
>>
File: download.jpg (149KB, 500x909px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
149KB, 500x909px
>>
File: 1495648609246.png (133KB, 331x265px) Image search: [Google]
1495648609246.png
133KB, 331x265px
>>383972486
>>383972606
>You don't know shit about Pokemon, literally Hitler
>Why do you care so much?
>Go play this game and realize you're an idiot.

Alrighty then anons. The thread asked a question, I answered, people flipped their shit at the notion of what I was saying, and now Hitler is being brought up for some reason and I'm being told to just, "Go play the games and shut up." This devolved pretty fast.
>>
>>383967515
>imma earthquake you motherfuckers!
those were the times
>>
>>383972238
Which Pokemon wud u fug
>>
>>383969251
>If your sole focus in a competition is to win, then that can easily bring down the experience for others.

You must have been born after the year 2000. Your post screams someone who has received nothing but Participation rewards his whole life.
>>
>>383966512
I absolutely loved gen 4 competitive and was somewhat decent at it, but i fell off with the new generations and im not gonna bother to relearn everything from scratch.
>>
>>383972454
dungeon crawlers on the lowest difficulty setting

I always get paralyzed by choice. At least in the past two generations. I assemble an ok team, and then a whole shitload of cool things are thrown at me and I don't know who to pick and then the grinding hits me and I just say fuck it.

I need to stop buying these,
>>
>>383972914
diggersby
>>
I think it's very unique. I was really into it during the gen 4 meta. Now it seems like there's a little bit too much shit to keep track of and study up on. I'm surprised no one has attempted to do a similar but more streamlined head to head turn based system.
>>
>>383972652
You know that pokemon arent real righr? You dont need this much empathy for fake magic pets in a childrens video game. Competitive pokemon requires good strategy and your autism wont change that.
>>
>>383972884
because you have this super detailed opinion about something you don't know anything about. it's laughable.
>>
>>383972314
>>GF is terrible and Pokemon are unbalanced!
>>There are too many Pokemon which means some are objectively better!
tiers exist for this exact reason
>>
>>383973034
Thats a shitty choice, Excadrill is better.
>>
>>383968152
>not using belly drum on charizard and earthquaking all the motherfuckers
>>
>>383969935
>Other people solely focusing on winning encourages the rest of the community to do the same because otherwise they have very little chance of even matching another player.

This is some retarded logic. People shouldn't focus on winning, because if they do, it makes it harder for other people to win, even though they shouldn't be focused on winning either? You are a fucking spastic.
>>
>>383972652
>Series tells you to just play with your favorite pokemon and that numbers don't matter.

>Ash has yet to win another Pokemon League even when rocking his A-Team, even with "the power of friendship."
>Game makes only a handful of pokemon worth using and front-loads all the buffs to pokemon that were already good.
Sure anon, whatever you say.
>>
>>383973060
>Caring about the message of the game that has been present for years and years means you're delusional or have autism
>A message that's drilled into players through nearly every single interaction from the start to the end
>With rivals, gym leaders, and the Elite Four all commenting/highlighting that message

Yeah, I guess I just think cartoon animals are real. Go figure.
>>
>>383973089
>Detailed opinion
>But you don't know anything about it

That doesn't really make much sense.
>>
>>383973275
see >>383973264
>>
I like IVs and EVs in the sense that they make everything individual and unique. It works in the environment it was intended for, kids playing after school who don't spend several hours autistically breeding for perfect stats. One kid might have a retardedly strong shuckle while someone else might have to ditch their starter because its too weak. I was raising a venonat to evolve it and fill out my pokedex when I found out he was already doing almost as much damage as some of my regular team members who were 10 levels higher. New partner for life right there. When you have perfect control over IVs/EVs you have a situation of just "Charizard" and "Venomoth" as two distinct entities because they will effectively only exist in the state of perfection. Back then you had the situation of "my Venomoth" and "Ben's Charizard" which has infinitely more variables and is a lot more entertaining because it wasn't just a single match, it was a schoolyard hierarchy. It was a race to the top to beat that faggot Ben. I guess my point is that pokemon really isn't fun when you're 30 years old playing it all along in your basement with a perfect understanding of every conceivable element in the game, compared to being a naive elementary schooler who hates Ben and his Charizard with a passion and wants to be the very best. It's alot like Minecraft, its incredibly shallow to the point where I consider it to have been more of a social phenomenon than a game. Competitivefags were a mistake
>>
>>383972652
Not my favorite=/= trash. I regularly wondertrade my leftovers or trade them in the wifi generals on /vp/ after I've gotten my favorite. Maybe the pokemon I send away will become someone else's favorite.

You're assuming that I hate every single pokemon that isn't perfect, but that's not true. I'm not Paul from the anime. I breed until I get the pokemon I personally want and offer the pokemon to people who will have uses for them.
>>
>>383973369
really because those things aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest you pedantic fucker. you don't get any reddit points for being as coy and glib as possible on /v/, so I don't get your angle. let me translate this so you can understand: you talked out of your ass to great extent about something you know nothing about.
>>
File: 1500076837421.png (358KB, 552x543px) Image search: [Google]
1500076837421.png
358KB, 552x543px
>>383971087
I spent at least 3 straight days once breeding a greninja for 6iv or at least 5 and trust me. That was the biggest waste of time

When my brother got hacks for it and was able to make shinies, get hidden abilities you didnt need to get in the safari zone (with no friends), had to breed that to a female and then repeat 6 steps to get a nature just for that 10% boost all for one pokemon

That.. was such a waste of time. IV's should be trashed. How is that fun

I bred so many greninjas I unintentionally got a shiny that didn't have protean, also something that could happen even if you got 6ivs. I wanted to end myself
>>
>>383973436
Not even him, but your post wasn't "clever". Just kill yourself.
>>
>>383973602

>Have shiny Greninja with Protean
>Worthless since it's female.
>>
File: ROCKY ROAD.png (109KB, 720x534px) Image search: [Google]
ROCKY ROAD.png
109KB, 720x534px
All I know is I hate Talonflame and I'm glad it got nerfed.
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (356KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
356KB, 1214x1239px
>>383973649
>>
>>383966512
literally have only ever seen tryhards and complete autists with zero self awareness be into it.
>>
>>383973838
I'm not even mad, I just think it's outrageously pathetic you attempted to link to your own post just so you could jump into a conversation leagues more interesting than your "points". I don't even actually like pokémon.
>>
>>383973836

I'm glad sneaky pebbles fucked that birb up.
>>
File: 1437641347673.jpg (51KB, 555x344px) Image search: [Google]
1437641347673.jpg
51KB, 555x344px
>>383973961
>I'm not even mad
>>
>>383973602
>>383973691
My most treasured legit pokemon is a 5IV HA fire shiny male protean greninja that I got from my 5th egg. Shit was cash couldn't be more perfect.
>>
>>383966512
Look the real answer is to go with Scald. If he switches no big deal since his Celebi carries energy ball to deal with the gastrodon if it becomes a problem (4x to boot). Staying with Politoad is the safest option.
t. someone who once risked a similar switch and the opponent didnt costing me the game
>>
I only ever knew one guy who was into that shit.
I couldn't even mention pokemon around him or he would fly off into a rant that I simply didn't give a fuck about.
I once told him emerald was my favorite pokemon. Holy shit did I get an earful.
As far as I'm concerned pokemon is dead, they rehash it every couple years to appeal to the kids who never played it before to keep printing money. People who play every installment of pokemon in succession as they come out scare the shit out of me, it's crazy-person territory for me.
>>
I used to find it kinda fun to grind for nice IV shinies. Never would end up using them, but I guess shiny hunting is hobby itself.
>>
>>383971461
>>383971463
>>383973602

Yeah I suppose EV's are ok, they take a long time but no where near as long as good IV's. Every couple weeks since release I've opened up my 3DS and attempted to get a shiny Togedemaru through the SOS battles, and I still haven't got it. I cant even imagine how fucking infuriating/boring it must be to try and get a competitively viable pokemon legit, especially a shiny.
>>
>>383967707
Pokemon Go was such a wasted opportunity.
>>
I wish we'd get 3D remakes where whenever you battle you take over the Pokemon and battle as them, but still with four moves and six team members. This would leave all the strategic implications currently, and add more depth to training because you'd have to be familiar with each Pokemon's movement controls. And it'd be ten thousand times as fun.
>>
>>383967038
Evs allow for some good diversification on how certain Pokémon play. They aren't that hard to get either. Ivs on the other hand, are fucking retarded. youre either 0 or 31, there's no reason to deviate from this and it really is just for autist to grind perfect shit(or hack, which is what happens in official tournaments all the fucking time). Bottle caps help with this slightly but it's still a dumb system.
>>
>not using pkhex to inject perfect pokemon to dumpster shitters
>>
>>383974217
Kys normie
>>
>>383976112
Don't even talk to me, casual, I bet you've never even made real money off a video game.
>>
>cheating in tournaments
Why don't they stop this? It'd be so easy. Just give everyone 12 hours to train on a tournament provided game, and then the next day people square off. It'd make things more interesting too because they'd have to strategize on what Pokemon to try to get, which to prioritize, etc.
>>
>>383976259

Because some tournament prep requires days of autism to do. Like dealing with hidden power.
>>
It's adults playing a game designed for children who don't have the mental fortitude for strategy games, nor the reflexes for competitive games
>>
>>383976259
>12 hours to SR for multiple legendaries with the right Hidden Power
I can hear the bitching already.
>>
>>383973275
Not quite every game drilled the message actually. If I recall, the post-game area for ORAS had a guy who said very much the opposite and basically admitted you need top of the line pokemon if you want to actually hold your own.
>>
>>383976259
>12 hours to hope RNG works in your favour.
Holy shit, what are you thinking?
>>
>>383976410
>>383976495
>>383976692
That's the fucking point you baby autists. No more slaving (read cheating) to get the perfect min/maxed team. 12 hours from the tutorial to gather the best team you can make.
>>
>>383966512
fucking autistic and retarded levels of grinding to entry. It's fucking horrible. fuck fuck fuck. There should be items that can change pokemon types, and ivs and ev's should be way easier to obtain then fucking play dodge ball mini game.all this shit should be Organic to the fucking gameplay. Players should be able to distribute accumulated Ev's from battles, not have it perma set, yo could aquire a total of 255 ev's for each stat for each pokemon, but you have to allocate them first, and you can switch them when ever you want. fucking oh my fucking god. fuck fuck fuck. god, competative pokemon is so removed from coare gameplay. And then the autists are like, you just jelly cause I wasted so much fucking time that you don't have. I'd love to play competative, bet jesus christ set up. like also, end gae content should make it so you can cap out pokemon faster or something.. EEEERRG. this shit. Litterally every other RPG. Pokemon is stuck in fucking 2008 of game design.
>>
File: 1327870887837.jpg (37KB, 670x496px) Image search: [Google]
1327870887837.jpg
37KB, 670x496px
>>383966512
Any competitive scene is automatically trash due to the basic social implications of being a 'competitive scene.' Look at any of them and you'll see a bunch of sperglord e-peen measurers because that's what the context of a competitive scene selects for: people who want to prove they are better than others by beating them at video games.
>>
>>383976829
>Literally RNG
>This is somehow a good idea
I can see this maybe being an interesting challenge kind of thing but as the main tournament format? Fuck no, it would remove a lot of the skill/knowledge element from battling.
>>
>>383969425
He has a point. It's like the "git gud" fan boys of Dark Souls that ruined the souls community
>>
>>383966653
>>383966512
This

>want to play against other players
>have to breed for hours in singelplayer
>>
File: 1479441447048.png (245KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
1479441447048.png
245KB, 500x269px
I know enough to know I don't want to delve farther into it.
On the flip side, I know how to make teams of my favorites "good" and easily through injecting.
>>
Why don't you people who hate grinding for IV/EV's just play Showdown? Yeah you have to play by Smogon's autistic rules, but it's a lot less time consuming than trying to do it legit.
>>
>>383978232
Showdown has a VGC playlist you dumb fuck. Alot of good Smogon players play the meme Nintendo format too you know.
>>
>>383966512
Too many people cheat on it now to be fun, so I just play on Showdown.
>>
>>383966512
I would never play it outside of Pokémon Showdown or Pokesave, that's pure 'tism.
Otherwise it's fine really
>>
>>383975923
Those people who hack perfect iv dittos then wondertrade are doing the world a favor

I could honestly not stand those shitheads who got the normal type safari zone with ditto. Say they did online, but not share their friend code and laugh
>>
>>383974497
That was the first and last time I went hard mode with competitive pokemon

This was when my friend would hack on black and white, transfer his perfect eeveelutions team with perfect iv's and ev's to x/y and wreck my team with just a solar beam leafeon sun stone hack. He didnt even need to use other ones because I didn't know what a iv or ev was at the time.

And then he proceded to tell me I was ev training wrong (so I wouldn't get better)

I had 700 hours on y then put that shit down for good

Tim, fuck you for playing me like that
>>
>>383966998
Yet one of the 'leaders of local poke community' who usually makes meetups and shit is completely autistic about it, he doesn't EV/IV himself because it's autistic but throws a fit when anyone obtains pokemon by 'the other means that are not in game', first three generations he even tried to censor EV/IV threads on his page because 'YOU WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT IF SOMEBODY DIDN'T HACK THE GAME AND POSTE IT ONLINE!!!'
>>
>>383981719
Honestly at this point if you don't hack you're wasting life away. Nothing is more mindless than iv breeding
>>
>>383981719
Did he not fucking realize what the fuck the vitamins that boost EVs do? Those have been elements in the fucking game since atleast gen 1 or 2.
>>
>>383966653
IVs are a lot easier in the latest games (and they straight up tell you the IVs in the stats now once you hatch enough eggs). I get why they did it, along with EVs, but it's still a pain.

Me and my friend basically got one team each to level 100 in Sun/Moon and fought once, I barely won and we haven't touched the games since.
>>
actually just play showdown, it even has old gens if you hate the new pokemon
>>
I don't mind pokemon being competitive, it feels good playing against other people, what I really dislike is smogon. They make their teams, everyone uses them, and there's no variety in the comp scene. I understand some pokemon are just better than others, but part of pokemon is using whateverthefuck you like.

I enjoy drinking smogonfag tears after I bitch slap them with my Sandslash, despite the fact they consider him a sub par pokemon.
>>
>>383966512

literally 5D chess
>>
I liked playing the PWT in Black 2 and the Battle Tower in Heart Gold. But making a team, getting all the items, and moves was tedious as hell. Have to breed this move onto this pokemon, then breed this onto this guy, trade this tm from another game into this one. look up another tm. realize it's one time use only and I used it on a shitty pokemon. it discouraged me from playing.
>>
>>383981834
>>383981870
Doesn't matter much, today the community is just comprised of three literal autists who inject but tell him they don't (on the other hand they're autistic enough for breeding, but I doubt it seeing the amount of meta shit they're spewing) and kindergarten
>>
>>383981870
Theyre crazy expensive and not worth it when it comes to horde ev training

I forget the method that doubles evs after a battle with a band, but its easier, also theres a cap to vitamins im p sure
>>
File: 1347086077465.jpg (449KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1347086077465.jpg
449KB, 1280x960px
back on black and white i got an action replay and built up teams with it. competitive pokemon is fun as fuck if you cut out all the time spent farming eggs, and ev training.
fucking gooks are the sorest losers, they will turn off their ds instead of taking a loss 100% of the time
>>
>>383982920
I think you can only get up to 100 or 200 EV before vitamins stop working.
>>
Pokemon is for casual fun in my book
I dont mind other people playing it but absolutely hate playing against people who do bother with it so I mostly stick to me and my 4-5 group of friends who share the same attitude
We all just use what we like and try to get good type coverage.
>>
>>383983161
Ev hording with band and pokerus > anything

I still remember that the vanillice horde gives spAtk
Psyduck was spDf on that battle maison road in x and y but it was rare

Ev training > iv training
Ban ivs
>>
File: 1497459964304.png (175KB, 384x390px) Image search: [Google]
1497459964304.png
175KB, 384x390px
>>383967707
This. I don't hate people for trying to find optimal builds for pokemon and playing competitively but it's just something I can never get into and sort of ruins the spirit of the games.
>>
>>383966512
I cannot think of a bigger waste of time than this.
>>
>>383966512
I dont have time for that bullshit. Usually I hack perfect IV/EV at Lv 1 and then raise the mon naturally to Lv 100. I never gave a shit about trying to look into breeding and all that shit.
>>
Honestly I feel like I missed the boat. My friend who I play Magic with got into the finals at one of the Regionals during X/Y and was one of the first people to realize Arcanine was actually good. But he moved on after not being able to attend the follow up and hasn't really returned since. I had the chance to really try my hand at it and have a friend to test around with but I let it slip through my fingers.
>>
>>383982320
Theres almost no variety in the shitty VGC format also. That being said smogon picks favorites and wont bother baning the fucking ground genie despite it being on literally every team.
>>
File: gar.png (196KB, 960x1045px) Image search: [Google]
gar.png
196KB, 960x1045px
>>383966512
It's not perfect but there is /literally/ nothing else that fills the team-building turn-based competitive RPG niche outside of tabletop games that require buying tons of miniatures or cards, so I'll keep playing it.
>>
Why does it have to be complete black or white, 0 to 100, "just turn your brain off and enjoy the casual game" or "make a cookie cutter smogon team"? I play with my friends and we know the depth of all the mechanics, we just challenge ourselves by trying to make interesting teams within certain rulesets or trying to make unpopular Pokemon viable.
>>
File: buonissimo.gif (1MB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
buonissimo.gif
1MB, 500x301px
>>383966512
>mfw Marshadow came out and is basically destroying everything
>>
>>383970296
yeah this i can't wait to be forced to transfer 500+ mons again over and over to see entries that i already read
>>
>>383973438
So did you ever beat that faggot Ben and his Charizard?
>>
>>383986274
What's the point of leveling naturally if you already hacked?
>>
File: 1432745393154.png (119KB, 500x556px) Image search: [Google]
1432745393154.png
119KB, 500x556px
>>383972652
But i do what the game says. As does you.
>>
File: CANCER.png (450KB, 795x903px) Image search: [Google]
CANCER.png
450KB, 795x903px
I stopped giving a shit when they allowed Primal Groudon in the VGC 2016.

If the company doesn't care about balance, then why should I?
>>
>>383987526
>the team with Fug only got 6th
What?
>>
>>383987418
>later games have shit meta
Color me shocked
>>
File: photo.png (132KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
132KB, 400x400px
Just seems like a waste of time when games actually MEANT to be competitive exist. Like, why the fuck are you spending any time on this when you could be getting into fighters or shooters. There are /v/irgin-aged people making millions playing CSGO and Dota. Even things like Smite or that tank game.

So to me it just reeks of another game that only has a competitive scene because there's this specific tier of nintendo fans that are autistic as fuck and won't play other games but still want something to compete in.
>>
>>383987619
Yeah dude because Snorlax/Skarmory/Blissey/Suicune spam was sooo much better.
>>
>>383973275
Yeah well anon all the trainers ingame are filthy casuals that I shat on with my trash team so I wouldn't really take their advice
>>
>>383987684
check the image
>>
There is nothing I enjoy more than reading people bitching about EV/IV in Pokemon threads
It's pretty much a "stopped reading right there" moment for me because anyone bitching about those clearly have no idea what they are talking about and probably stopped playing in Gen 4 or before

Do you have any fucking idea how easy it is to get a 5 IV Pokemon with the right nature, and how easy it is to EV train it nowadays?
It was much more easier in Gen V, made even easier in BW2, and then Gen VI made it into a joke, which is the same case in Gen VII
Even without a 6 IV Ditto (which is easy to get) you only need like..what..3 generations of breeding? to get a 5 IV Pokemon.
Which in most times you don't even need a 6 IV Pokemon because unless you are using a mixed attacker, you don't give a shit about the other Attack stat
Then you can raise EV to max in only 5 battles (in Gen VI) or 7 SOS Pokemon knocked out (AND IT WORKS WITH EXP SHARE SO YOU CAN MAX OUT AT LEAST 5 MORE POKEMON AT THE SAME TIME)
Not to mention the Poke Pelago glitch (which is now fixed but there is no problem downgrading)

tl;dr breeding a 5 IV Pokemon and EV training it takes less than an hour
>>
>>383987745
What image
>>
>RNG
>power creep
>gamefreaks hardon for buffing certain pokemon
>gamefreaks hateboner for making sure certain types stay shit

I want to enjoy it, but I can't.
>>
>>383987526
>5/8 players with the exact same 6 pokémon
>out of 802
meme game
>>
>>383986841
You are correct. In my opinion, the game has a parabola to it. On one end, not knowing anything about how the game works is frustrating because you don't know why your pokemon that's designed to be a physical wall does piss for damage and keeps dying to psychics.
On the far end of the other the only thing that matters are the stats and numbers.
In the middle lies where the actual fun is had. Where players know enough about the game to be competent and raise strong pokemon, but also light hearted enough to know they're still playing pokemon.

My problem is that runthroughs are less fun for me now because I can't help to notice that my pokemon is doing awful because it has the wrong nature or something.
>>
>GF calls mass breeding "soulless"
>still heavily encourages iv breeding
>hyper training is nearly worthless because it takes longer to grind to 100 in alola than just breed a different pokemon
>still have to breed for natures and egg moves

Pokemon Breeding is the most degenerate act in all of gaming
>>
>>383987837
>Takes less than 6 hours to build a team in game (after all preparation)
>Takes less than 6 minutes to build a team on Showdown
I know which I'd rather play.
>>
>>383987617
VGC uses the Double Battle format, which is much more focused on a bulky playstyle rather than pure aggressive glass cannon because of the limited of Pokemon you can use (only 4 per battle) and losing atleast 1 Pokemon can get you into a disadvantage really quickly.

fug is overpowered as fuck in single battle but quickly loses it viability in Doubles because he isn't bulky enough to take multiple attacks in the same turn. Also, he doesn't synergies with his own team mates that well.
>>
>>383966512
Great, I've been playing Ubers with a Nosepass for a while now and the amount of butthurt I've received is amazing lmao
>>
>>383988148
You should try shelmet.
>>
File: why the fuck.png (35KB, 560x457px) Image search: [Google]
why the fuck.png
35KB, 560x457px
>>383970987
Nearly everything, once you look at it closer, has a problem. It'd be quicker to list things without problems, but i'll give a quick summary

>festival plaza=PSS+Join Avenue if both sucked
>sos=worse way of catching pokemon
>same 4 pokemon are on 80% of routes
>new pokemon are almost all too slow
>battle tree=Maison but worse
>ridemons and boats turn you into a tourist
>bland music
>z-moves=glorified elemental gems
>half the megas were unobtainable on launch even though the battle tree ai has them
>fishing=pic related
>>
>genies
>tapus
you have a delete button but you can only delete one, which do?
>>
>>383970987
Autism
>>
>>383987672
Do you think everyone playing CSGO and Dota or other stuff like that are going to tournaments. 99% of players aren't at that level, and it's irrelevant anyway because Pokemon has tournaments with prize pools too.
People play whatever multiplayer game they enjoy. If they choose Pokemon what's wrong with that?
>>
>>383975178
Imagine how much money they could have made by putting actual Pokemon gameplay in there and then having a microtransaction shop where you can pay for a perfectly tuned Pokemon egg.
>>
>>383988386
Genies. Atleast Tapus have a shred of originality in their designs where as the Genies might as well be palette swaps.
>>
>>383987837
Honestly ever since I got into mobage I started to appreciate how non-grindy and fair the post gen 6 Pokemon actually has become.

Pretty sure people only bitch about EV/IV nowadays to rationalize themselves cheating in a game intended for 6 year olds. Or they're oldfags who didn't touch Pokemon after gen 4.
>>
>>383987837
>spinning in a circle for 6 hours
>fun gameplay

How about iv's just dont exist to begin with? Breeding isn't fun, it's work, and if you want to try out another pokemon, that's another hour spent on a set that probably wont work.
>>
>Luxray
>Charizard
>Salamance
>Gardevoir
>Machamp
>Tyrannitar

Does this team (composed of my favourite pokèmon) have any chance in competitive?
>>
>>383988620
If you swapped Luxray for anything else you might just break into low 1300s.
>>
>>383987526
Mega Evolutions were a mistake
>>
File: pleb patrol.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pleb patrol.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>383988620
>charizard
>favorite
>>
>>383988620
>No Primal Groudon
>No Mega Fug
its shit
>>
>>383988568
There's no reason to rationalize cheating when it's intended to remove tedious grind
>>
>>383968434
>dark void was nerfed so smeargle can't use it
>dark void also had its accuracy gutted so it's worse than hypnosis now anyway
gf has no idea how to balance shit
>>
>>383988694
>not Primal forms
Atleast Mega Evolutions are only allowed once per battle. Primals are pretty much a mechanic that allows a 2nd Mega Evolution on fucking steroids.
>>
>>383966512
The game relies too much on chance which makes it unappealing to me competitively. I don't like the idea of losing because of chance rather than my own skill. Not that I play competitive vidya anyway.
>>
>>383988713
If you find grinding for stats too tedious then you shouldnt play jRPGs in the first place.
>>
File: DDBDx-JUMAEfNNp.png (293KB, 500x718px) Image search: [Google]
DDBDx-JUMAEfNNp.png
293KB, 500x718px
>>
File: 781Dhelmise.png (125KB, 412x412px) Image search: [Google]
781Dhelmise.png
125KB, 412x412px
>>383988238
ONE FUCKING PERCENT CHANCE OF APPEARING AND I STILL CAUGHT THIS NIGGER
>>
>>383988884
People who play comp pokemans clearly don't play it for the jrpg grindan aspects
Pvp and pve are two entirely different games
>>
>>383988884
>Literal RNG barrier to be viable
I don't know how you can defend this
>>
>>383988969
Guarantee nobody has played SM with that in their E4 team their first time.

>1 spot in the entire game you can fish it up in
>chances are you'd give up long before seeing it
>only trainer with one is an E4 member
>meanwhile wingull's line runs rampant through alola

Reminder that if you like any part of Wingull's line, you are wrong.
>>
>>383966653
As someone who used to play competitively obsessively 2011-2015, EV's I can understand because you can use them to make a Pokémon either faster, stronger or more tanky.

IVs on the other hand...
>>
>>383988620
>Luxray
garbage
>Charizard
ok with firium or as a mega
>Salamence
ok, god tier with megastone. but that forces you into uber where almost all of the rest of your team is shit
>Gardevoir
Can be and ok support, isn't going to balk anything. The mega was nerfed but is still usable.
>Machamp
garbage, completely and utterly outclassed by Conkeldurr in every way
>Tyrannitar
A very good all round choice. Can fill a variety of roles and solid picl
>>
>>383988979
>Pvp and pve are two entirely different games
But in Pokemon they're one and the same thing. Thats what makes the game unique and keeps people coming back for more after 20 years. GameFreaks knows this, thats why they put the hidden stat system even in Pokemon Go.

I'm looking forward to Pokemon on Switch precisely because it will allow us to have a fresh start again.

>>383989026
We're not in gen 4 anymore grandpa.
>>
>>383967295
My friend who came in the top 8 of the 2014 Australian Nationals knows this all too well, as he used a Mega Charizard X with Steel Wing to beat the first-place winner of the 2013 Nationals, and the response from both his opponent and the majority of the participating crowd was to boo him. Opponent didn't even shake his hand when he offered it afterwards.
>>
File: jetstream yell.jpg (87KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
jetstream yell.jpg
87KB, 1191x670px
>>383966653
I don't really care about EVs, but IVs need to fucking leave.

>that moment you discover IVs
>start breeding mons with a 6 IV Japanese Ditto with a good nature (or keep breeding mons until you get one with a good nature, then breed that one with the Ditto)
>have to deal with making sure you get egg moves you might need to
>after getting that perfect 5/6 IV mon, now go grind EVs
>do this for each mon
>or inject and still get bored
>>
>>383988969
>>383989087
Is this basically chimecho?
>>
>>383989436
what if I swap Luxray with Vaporeon? Conkeldurr is my second favourite fighting type anyway.
My Mega in this setup is Salamance.

also, is Showdown good for casual battle or do I have to go full autist with Moon?
>>
>>383989680
Gen 3 Chimecho was even worse, because literally nobody in the game had a Chimecho, outside of the Battle Frontier, which doesn't put an entry in your dex to help you find where it is.
>>
>>383989616
So what's wrong with steel wing on a mega charizard?
>>
I'd still play if the new games weren't garbage.
>>
>>383989718
also I switch the mega with Charizard.
>>
>>383987837
>need to spend 6 hours preparing myself for comp
This sure sounds like a lot of fun
>>
>>383968552
Gen 4's biggest fault was how the HP moved.

>attack a Blissey
>go make a sandwich while the HP bar drops
>>
>>383989718
Vaporeon is better but still pretty outclassed nowadays

If you plan to play on Showdown keep in mind Mega Salamence is banned in the default competitive tier (OU). If I was you I'd just use Zard-Y as a Mega and DDance+Flynium on Salamence.
>>
>>383989503
>We're not in gen 4 anymore grandpa.
The RNG better but it's still there, so I don't see your point.
If you really want to get into this, then hacking also allows everybody easy access to difficult to acquire Pokemon and moves. Stuff like event Pokemon, past gen move tutors etc. That makes the game much more fair.
>>
>>383989845
You could watch FF7 Supernova play out in the time it takes for a max HP Blissey's HP to hit 0
>>
EVs are perfectly fine. It gives the player a way to finetune your pokemon more for min/maxing purposes like any good rpg. IVs are fucking bullshit because it's completely random and beyond your control (yeah, I know about gold bottlecaps in sun/moon). I can understand why the devs added IVs, but strictly gameplay-wise, it only detracts the player experience.
>>
>>383989917
>bottle caps
>something you should be able to get nearly everywhere
>disgustingly rare
>have to grind to 100 anyways even though comp uses level 50

it's like they wanted people to cheat
>>
>>383989996
Nah, they want people to buy the sequels.
>>
>>383990084
What, to sit through The Lillie Show again? No thanks, i'd rather not be handcuffed to some bitch i dont care about
>>
>>383989718
Vaporeon is okay as wish support and a mixed wall but not much else. Much better than Luxray though.
If I were you I'd use either megazard Y or megagard because you are lacking in special damage. Mega ttar is just a waste of mega slot since it doesn't do much better than regular ttar. Megamence is banned in OU so you can't use it there, and a ddance sweeper works fine anyway.

Play on showdown, it will save you a lot of time.
>>
>>383989996
I don't understand why GameFreak makes it so utterly tedious to get into the multiplayer aspect of the game but makes the single player increasingly more braindead even though the series already started out as one of the easiest jRPG on the market.

Should be exactly the other way around. Make the single player challenging and multiplayer as easy (to get into) as possible. Thats Good Game Design 101.

Fucking GameFreak.
>>
>>383990152
I feel you. I'm hyped for D/P remakes, even though they'll probably do a bad job again.
>>
>introduce a new gimmick battle type every gen
>never expand on it or use it again
>>
>>383989761
It was the only thing that could get through the opponents Carbink, which had been built to withstand everything bar a physical Steel-type move. It got one-shotted, at which point the other player just conceded and left because his strategy literally revolved around one gimmick.
>>
>>383990276
What the fuck does carbink do?
>no reliable recovery
>movepool has like 3 things in it
>has terrible offensive stats anyway
>>
>>383967707
its funny cause in reality it really would just come down to who bred the most perfect pokemon. only amateurs catch shit in the wild.
>>
File: LillieExpression8.jpg (35KB, 175x199px) Image search: [Google]
LillieExpression8.jpg
35KB, 175x199px
>The whole reason I keep coming back to Pokemon is because it fill a competitive niche, even though it's unbalanced as fuck.
>Every game that tries to be the "Pokemon killer" doesn't even attempt multiplayer competition

Please someone, ANY DEV please just give me a reason to stop playing Pokemon. Someone do the multiplayer but better.
>>
>>383990430
>what are legendary and gift Pokemon
>>
they can just do whatever they want, it's fine. i personally think that generally it's cool when a game is brought to its extremes/played in a way that wasn't originally intended (e.g. speedruns, Melee)
>>
>>383990191
>>383989858
Thank you, last question: does peopel still play ORAS in competitive? I wouldn't mnd playing with my 3ds and hacking pokèmon but I don't want finish that fucking abortion that is Moon Story to play online if I don't enjoy showdown.
>>
>>383990217
>Hey, go catch some pokemon and battle other people with!
>oh by the way, throw your favorite pokemon into a daycare and inbreed them, they have suboptimal IVs and no egg moves
>Oh by the way, Natures affect your stats, and having a suboptimal one will make it less likely to win
>did we mention nothing ingame tells you what egg moves your pokemon can have?
>Don't want to iv breed, there's always hyper training. Which requires level 100 and an ultra rare item, too.
>the highest leveled pokemon are level 60 and exp scales, so it takes longer than ever to grind to level 100, just more fun gameplay for you
>don't forget to EV train, which nothing ingame tells you how to do
>Oh too bad, your pokemon has bad coverage, but there's always Hidden Power. Which requires a specific IV spread for specific types, back on the bull!
>You're gonna need some hold items! Off to the Battle Tower/Subway/Maison/Tree with you! Items are 16-64BP each, and Ability Capsules are 100BP. Don't lose a streak, or you'll go back to making 1 point a fight!
>Your pokemon is a designated shitmon, go breed a Garchomp and do all the above steps again

no wonder people cheat
>>
>>383990496
Yokai Watch 2 has a meta but it's apperentely even more unbalanced than Pokemon
>>
>>383990576
No. Just do showdown.
>>
>>383987037
>People thought it would be a UU shitmon when its stats and ability got announced
>>
>>383990676
It's almost entirely carries by spectral thief though.
>>
>>383987617
People largely overprepared for Mega-Fug, and Mega-Fug can't dominate as hard in doubles. Further, you indirectly buff opposing Mega-Mence by removing its flying weaknesses.
Finally, Mega-Fug can't be used with Mega-Mom, who is much, much better suited to doubles.
>>
>>383990578
gamefreak have no idea what they are doing. they were surprised when people used special aegislash
>>
>>383990421
Don't know what it was supposed to do. As I said, it got one-shot, then the other player conceded and left.
>>
>>383967038
probably to make each pokemon unique even if you have the same one as a friend or something. not sure they counted on rampant eugenics though.
>>
>>383969764
>Nerfs to Volt-Turn damage output by a third.
Doesn't matter thar much. You're stacking up most damage with hazards anyway.
>Give the moves Bulldoze and Steamroller the ability to remove entry hazards (make Bulldoze no longer a TM as well).
Cool but I would prefer an ability that just removes hazards by entry
>Buff Rapid Spin to inflict all of the damage/effects you would receive when switching in onto the opponent when you clear hazards.
Cool
>Grass or Ice-Type stealth rock clone, does not stack with SR. Toxic Spikes no longer stacks with Spikes.
Needs more fire rocks
>Nerf Landorus to have the same BST as the other two.
Doesn't he already have though? Anyway, all genies are cancer and need to die
>Remove Team Preview for 6v6 matches. You can still select which Pokemon you lead with.
There are too many threats at the moment to make that viable. I agree that Gen 4 was better because it was more balanced and there wasn't a need for team preview but by now there are so many OP Pokemon. You can just destroy someone just for it to send a Volcarona or Magearna in and sweep you anyway. You just cant prepare for so mant threats.
>>
>>383989087
I did. What now?
>>
>paralysis
>confusion
>freeze
>focus miss
>scald

W H Y
>>
File: Wtf.png (174KB, 778x649px) Image search: [Google]
Wtf.png
174KB, 778x649px
What happens with 4chan and why do I see furry images instead of OP pictures on some threads?
>>
File: Wtf2.png (111KB, 864x752px) Image search: [Google]
Wtf2.png
111KB, 864x752px
>>383991902
For real what cause that?
I can see original pic just fine if I click on thumbnail but what should I do to cancel this?
>>
>love Pokémon
>play it for light hearted rpg adventure
>love going in blind, discovering new favorites
>once main game is finished, autitistically research breeding/IVs/EVs for new mainline
game
>choose my favorites and make a synergistic team after spending weeks putting them together
>complete post game
>never play online or use showdown
>leave my perfect monstrosities in my game file to admire when bored

Am I the only one in this "in-between" spot? The game can be played however you want, and I don't see why people complain about these systems when they're completely optional.
>>
>>383987526
How come 8th place had the same team as 1st place, but only got 8th place?
>>
>>383967017
Oh yeah, nothing is more compelling, than clicking through menus and have 2 gifs numbers each other.
>>
>>383992612
As opposed to doing the same thing in game but with preparation first?
>>
>>383992465
i still breed and collect things but i never use them either
i used to play competitively, but i stopped a long time ago and dont do anything but briefly update myself on the "meta" happenings once every few months when im scanning headlines for new wifi events and shit
>>
>>383988582
What a lazy fucking mindset.

>I can't be bothered to make my favorites the best they could possibly be
>therefore remove all depth from this game for children

Fuck off. By your logic no one should "waste" their time practicing to get good at anything, grinding to reach competitive levels for their own personal satisfaction, or anything that requires repetition. The games already exist without all the subsystems required: it's called the main story. You can literally play that and call it a day. I don't understand why you'd take away something people enjoy when it doesn't have to affect you in literally any way.
>>
>>383992573
RNG, most likely.
>>
I get the hate for IV training since it takes a while and most people hate it. But I don't get the hate for EVs and Nature's, they make Pokémon sets actually different.
Like IVs is just a flat increase to stats 99% of Pokémon take all of with the other 1% being trick room and hidden power users.
But allowing you the +/- 10% and 510 EVs lets you customise Pokémon sets a lot more and does improve variety. Its also easy to do, imagine if nature and egg moves were the only thing you bred for, with Synchronize and Everstone everyone would get a team sorted much faster.
>>
>>383992612
You make it seem like that isn't literally what pokemon is if you removed the attack animations.
>>
>>383970351
This is pretty much exactly how I feel
>>
>>383966512
the switch or no switch dilemmas are sometimes fun
>>
File: fuck you.png (12KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.png
12KB, 240x160px
>>383966512
It's very silly to take seriously a game which it's maker does not take seriously on balance level.

t. fighting game player

Gamefreak does 0 playtesting, and every time the absolute most boring thing like Lando or Toxapex boils to the top. This is ironic because what makes the game an illusion of competititiveness is the intristic amount of high amount of options available. That's also why Showderp is great, but that's a talk for another time,
>>
>>383993141
>IVs
>Depth
Pick one. There's no depth there. You're either optimal or you're not, in which case you go roll some more dice until you're close enough to 31/31/31/31/31/31
>>
>>383994465
b-but you can also want lowest possible attack on a special mon so they'd confuse hurt themselves as little as possible

t-that's depth right

jokes aside 0 speed on gyro ball is pretty legit justification
>>
>>383994268
I disagree with what you said but I understand completely what you mean, I really enjoy competitive Pokémon gens IV and V are my favorite I didn't realise how much I'd miss weather wars but they've had multiple opportunities to counter the power creep with megas, changing stats like with Alakazam, abilities like with Gengar and Z moves. But the problem is they release these feature which could really introduce variety to the metagame and who gets megas? Gengar, Lucario, Mewtwo, starters. It's more of a popularity contest.
Not all megas are bad though don't get me wrong, Camerupt, Zard XY and Lopunny are perfect examples of how to make older Pokémon viable without hard changing stats and abilities.

Although I'd change some abilities on gimmick Pokémon like Octarilly and Farfetch'd, something like boosts non-contact moves by 20% for Octarilly or accuracy due to being an artillery cannon, and something that doubles the base power of never miss moves for Farfetch'd.
>>
>>383966512
This sounds like some fucking Akagi tier mind games.
>>
i just read about IVs.

why would anyone pick pokemon as his competitive game of choice when chess, dota, CS:GO, online card games exist?
you follow up hundred of hours of mindless grind, in a paid game, with a boring battle than contains more RNG than heartstone.
that just sounds so weird to me.

what's even weirder is wondering why pokemon games are designed as braindead 4 year old single player experiences with no difficulty settings and at the same time contain this kind of hidden mechanics behind the scenes, that no normal player would ever notice in a regular playthrough, that require autistical manchildren to either cheat or spend hundred of hours to win a competitive match.
>>
>>383966512
I think it's gone too far and is beginning to impact the overall state and approach of the game along with the feature creep that comes with it. Gen 3 to Gen 4 mechanic changes were good after that though the changes or additions they made were shit.
>>
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-247965078

>competitive pokemon
>>
Better in theory than in practice. It's not fun.

In theory, you have 17 stat influencing natures to choose from for every Pokemon, and some 512 EVs which you can allocate wherever you like to further customize stat growth. This is ostensibly a lot of customization per Pokemon.

In practice, 99% of Pokemon only benefit from 2 natures, and in most cases EVs are spread between two stats: attack/special attack and speed if you have an offensive Pokemon, or HP and defense/special defense if you have a wall.

Basically, all of that customization boils down to one or two options for most Pokemon. Anything else is usually a gimmick and won't be relatively useful.

It doesn't help that things are so static. If you want to try a Jolly Garchomp for that extra bit of speed over an adamant Garchomp, you have to spend another few hours breeding another 5IV egg just to experiment with a slightly different stat spread. No wonder simulators and injecting are so popular.
>>
>>383994969
>contains more RNG than heartstone.
Let's not get ridiculous now anon the RNG is a lot more controlled, predictable and has the ability for you to counterplay it as opposed to Hearthstone
>>
File: 1499999698138.jpg (118KB, 850x1182px) Image search: [Google]
1499999698138.jpg
118KB, 850x1182px
>>383970742
>my loli is better than your loli

Both are really sexy.
>>
>>383994969
In the game's defense, it does get pretty damn complicated.

One game before had hard difficulty settings, and the games worth playing also have a Battle Frontier, which is pretty much a set of postgame challenging stuff that is actually really hard. And as any game, playing a person is completely different. So that is pretty much the reason why I'd disagree with you before but agree with you now. The last two games were really easy all the way through. Megas are actually interesting, but Z-Moves more often than not just equal a free KO and that's it.

The game also does tell you about IVs, though not in the really old games, and it does that in a way of having an NPC that tells you 'this thing is really good overall, but especially at attack and speed'.
>>
>>383995338
Why is her fart purple?
>>
>>383966653
>Muh IV's and EV's are too hard, gamefreak should remove them
If you have trouble with this in gen 7 you should seriously consider killing yourself. They could not have made it easier. It's an RPG where you play a TRAINER. So obviously breeding and training the best possible pokemon is going to be a feature.
>>
>>383966512
Requires an obscene amount of autism to get into.
>>
>>383995574
>grinding is a feature!
>>
>>383995574
Evs are fine
Ivs should only determine hidden power type and nature
>>
>>383995574
It's not that they're hard, it's that the system is outdated. There are now over 800 Pokemon, and a large draw to the games is that you get to use all of them. Breeding for IVs and stat training for EVs might be fun for your first team of six, but the tediousness becomes overbearing if you want to try out hundreds of Pokemon at their best and because of this most either won't, period, or they'll use injectors. The system should be improved. It doesn't have to go.
>>
>>383994465
That's completely disingenuous. Just because it's not depth you care for, or because it's not as much depth as EVs, doesn't mean it's not an additional dimension. There are plenty of edge cases where IV differences matter. The system in and of itself is an extra layer of depth regardless of how it all boils down. The system with which one optimizes IVs is also immaterial to the nature of IVs themselves. They add depth and create unique situations, period. If you're not min maxing, you can't always predict shit. I have a bunch of friends at work and every gen we all play the new games, then hold mini tournaments with our main story teams. I've run into situations where KOs that should've happened didn't because of IVs and I've had to play around it. We then usually breed a team and get back together every two weeks or so until we get bored with the gen after a few months.

>>383994628
I've literally done this shit like this when my friend bred a meme confusion/accuracy/stat debuff team. I've also had 0 gyroball/trick room teams. All of these things would not exist as gameplay experiences without the IV system.

None of my friends breed perfect 6IV mon anyway, usually we do 5 and the last one is up to RNG, and that's affected the matches more than once. But even if we all did go for 6IV, who the fuck cares? If you wanna go on showdown or only play with 6IV mon you can. If you wanna breed gimmick builds for battling friends you can and manipulate IV how you want. If you don't wanna breed at all then let the IV rng gods do what they will and just battle your friends.

It's ridiculous to say IV has no depth when it clearly creates situations that wouldn't be possible if it didn't exist (hidden power, trick room, dump stats, rng edge cases, playing with completely random IVs) just because you don't like it.

I agree that the systems for manipulating IV and the rest could be improved, though.
>>
File: 1426477991298.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1426477991298.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>383995123
The 'tism was strong in that chat.
>>
>>383966512
It's pretty good on showdown it's shit on the console because as usual the creators don't care to make it good.
>>
>>383970296
How did SM manage to have so many 10/10 girls?
>Lana
>Lillie
>Acerola
>Chicken-chan
name one pokemon game with better lolis
>>
File: 61593351_p0.jpg (344KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
61593351_p0.jpg
344KB, 800x1131px
>>383996170
Yeah, I'm not even a lolicon but the lolis are so fucking sexy I can't stop fapping to them.
>>
>>383971802
Pikachu was the only pokemon who carried his weight in that battle, everyone else fucking jobbed.
I'm still mad, it was HIS TURN
>>
>>383995995
I genuinely agree with this. I like the systems, it's just manipulating them is tedious, even if it's easier than it's ever been. How would you change it to make it more accessible and feasible to manipulate mon IV/EV/egg moves for hundreds of Pokémon? And how much time is a reasonable amount of time to put into perfecting a 6 mon team?
>>
File: funbro.gif (1MB, 433x350px) Image search: [Google]
funbro.gif
1MB, 433x350px
>>383966512
>competitive Pokemon
It's only fun when you use meme sets to destroy scrubs.
>>
File: DAohaHpXkAErhTH.jpg (170KB, 826x1176px) Image search: [Google]
DAohaHpXkAErhTH.jpg
170KB, 826x1176px
>>383996292
>I'm not even a lolicon
yes you are
>>
File: 1482107687744.jpg (161KB, 1174x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1482107687744.jpg
161KB, 1174x1212px
>>383996736
You don't know me. I only find lolis attractive.
>>
>>383997128
That means that you're a lolicon
>>
File: 62350984_p0.jpg (406KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
62350984_p0.jpg
406KB, 600x800px
>>383997219
Someone can be attracted to lolis and NOT be a lolicon.
>>
>>383997262
But anon a lolicon is by definition somebody who is attracted to lolis
>>
File: 60053703_p0.png (1MB, 1203x1430px) Image search: [Google]
60053703_p0.png
1MB, 1203x1430px
>>383997338
That's the old definition. You're not a lolicon nowadays unless you say so.
>>
File: [Matsuoka Michihiro] 60055708_p0.jpg (612KB, 928x1291px) Image search: [Google]
[Matsuoka Michihiro] 60055708_p0.jpg
612KB, 928x1291px
>>383997495
I don't understand
>>
>>383995626

Well it is. No one ever said Pokemon games were good... or at least they shouldn't have.
>>
File: 088169169.jpg (91KB, 597x793px) Image search: [Google]
088169169.jpg
91KB, 597x793px
>>383997620
Whatever, stop calling me a lolicon. It's racist when I'm not one.
>>
>>383996504
Give the players the tools that the injectors and simulators have, within reason. For example, postgame battle facility rewards, instead of being megastones and other items that should be found ingame by exploring, could be items catered to this purpose. Perhaps you can buy a tool that allows you to infinitely reallocate EVs for any Pokemon so that you can experiment with different stat spreads. Maybe, for getting a 50 win streak, you are rewarded with an item that lets you instantly allocate EV stats to any Pokemon.

Maybe there is a postgame island that has berries which influence natures? If you feed your Pokemon an adamant berry, then it focuses its energy on attack at the cost of special attack.

I think these ideas should be simple, but should not be given away. By making them rewards you can have the benefit of them, but also the fun of earning them by having to do things the old fashioned way at the beginning.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (57KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
57KB, 387x580px
>>383996513
>mfw I was there for the Funbro battle on Showderp
>3 hours of autism
>>
>>383971284
>Gen 4 is undeniably the best
You are literally the first person to have ever claimed this
>>
>>383996513
>>383998270
Funbro did nothing wrong
>>
File: file.png (246KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
246KB, 500x375px
>>383998354
>ANYTHING goes
>Funbro still banned
>>
>>383970842
That's generally how Nintendo games work in general though. They tend to present a fairly accessible front, but behind that is a bunch of crazy meticulous subsystems thought up by madmen that can be left for autists to ponder over for years and often lack a specific equivalent in any other game. I mean, in no other RPG is competitive battling like this even viable, since almost everything else is designed around vs CPU or GM fights.
>>
>>383967707
>grabbing some of your favorite cartoon animal freaks

Oh, you're a show fag, that explains it.
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.