[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it's possible for a game to have too much content?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: APPROVED-minisugar-jpg_170433.jpg (57KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
APPROVED-minisugar-jpg_170433.jpg
57KB, 630x473px
Do you think it's possible for a game to have too much content?
>>
>>383940635
Apparently so
>>
>>383940635
if it just feels like they stuffed shit in and the whole game feels bloated, like unnecessary alternate game-play sections that don't feel fun or satisfying, or the ever-popular "shit loads of collectibles everywhere" that have no reason other than to pad playtime numbers, then yes it can
the thing is though that it can be stuffed full of content and still be a good game, it just depends on how everything is presented
>>
>>383940635
only if the content is bad
there can't be too much of good stuff
>>383940885
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>383940885
Did you even read that?
>>
>>383940635
If parts of the game sucks and are forced then yes.

Look at MGSV Base Management and WoW Garrisons, for example
>>
>>383940635
Is that a fucking chicken cutlet in the middle?
>>
>>383940635

What is: The Witcher 3?
>>
Only if it's an RPG that can't be backtracked.

Of course RPGs need to have a lot of content. But if certain content is easy to miss, and you can't go back to it after X hours of progress, then fuck that shit. I'm not gonna replay that shit.
>>
File: kh-gummi-ship.png (37KB, 382x252px) Image search: [Google]
kh-gummi-ship.png
37KB, 382x252px
>>383940635

yes
>>
>>383944504
Witcher 3 is one of the few games where while I've enjoyed it immensely, I'm literally too fatigued to go back and play more of it. Feels like I've barely dented the surface.
>>
>>383940635

Only if the content isn't compelling. What value is there in a long game with copy-pasted level design or monotonous padding?

If every couple hours are something new and engaging(or an engaging new take an existing mechanic) then it doesn't really matter how long it is until it comes to replays.
>>
>>383940635
damn my nigga, do it like you owe me some money peanut butter jelly
>>
File: Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg (34KB, 238x293px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg
34KB, 238x293px
>>383940635
If it's nothing but filler content, yes.
>>
>>383940635
If it's bloated with filler content than yeah. I'd rather have a short consistent game with good content than 500 hours of bullshitting around.
>>
>>383940635
If it's in development: yes
If it's released: fuck no
>>
If the new content invalidates all the previous content then yes.
>looking at you RETAIL WOW.
>only 1 or 2 years of "current" content at most despite over a fucking decade of development time at this point.
>>
File: FFXIV Stormblood.png (595KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV Stormblood.png
595KB, 1200x630px
>>383940635
> Do you think it's possible for a game to have too much content?
>>
File: Sundae Ramen.jpg (717KB, 1336x4460px) Image search: [Google]
Sundae Ramen.jpg
717KB, 1336x4460px
>>383940635
No.
>>
>>383940635
No. A jew might try to convince you otherwise, but they're retarded and you'd be retarded to agree with them
>>
Yes.

Yakuza 5 is a good example.
>>
>>383940885
did the publishers not understand that TimeSplitters is about going through time? Future Perfect would have been boring if the whole time we spent on mars or whatever planet we are on in the first mission.

also, check this out.
https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/
>>
>>383940635
GTA V is a good example.
>>
Yes. Some games are full of useless padding to extend playtime.
>>
>>383940635
No. It's possible to lump too much content together and make it feel overwhelming, but there's no such thing as having too much.
>>
In theory? No. In practice? Yes, because one can't do massive amounts of quantity without sacrificing quality to at least some extent. It's rare to see a game that you'd want more after beating it, but there are many that have pointless bloat in them.
>>
>>383940635
Yes. 100 hours of trash content isn't fun, just look at The Witcher 3 (or any open world RPG for that matter)
>>
comeon start with the ja/ck/ posting already
>>
>>383940635
Gran Turismo 4
>>
>inb4 Timesplittere 4 turns out to be a Overwatch type arena fps
>>
>>383940635

BOTW comes to mind if we're talking about recent games. It has so much content it should be a crime.
>>
>>383940635
It comes down in a big way to the content's structure and quality. If it's good people will go find it, and if it's lain out well then people are very likely to discover it at a steady enough clip to not get bored.

Fallout 3 and 4 generally have something right around the next corner no matter where you are. New Vegas used a hub-oriented design with quest givers clustered in a given area providing activities surrounded by a largely superfluous open world. Each approach has its merits and flaws but both are basically valid for what they're meant to provide.
>>
>>383951527
>"100 hours of trash content isn't fun"
>" just look at The Witcher 3"
>a game universally praised as one of the best RPG's ever released
>>
>>383940635
Only if you have a double digit IQ
>>
>>383952469
>calls a game universally praised
>in response to criticism of the game

You are clearly retarded.
>>
>>383947908
FFXIV has a LOT of content if you generally like the game you are going to keep yourself busy for a long time.
>>
>>383940635
the .HACK games for PS2 have WAY too much fucking shit
wanna clear those item books?
ahahahAHAAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>383951004

That game barely has any content, unless you're talking about the online bloat.
>>
>>383944952
God fucking damn, this.
>>
>>383953291
So you just can't comprehend the concept of filler, is that it?
>>
>>383940635

Rpgs have a bad habit of being finely balanced around the main quest and then trying to inflate their post game dick around a mindless power treadmill.

Of course some games go straight to the latter so they overstay their welcome by abusing player habits.
>>
>>383940635
Literally one of the worst things about Legion.
>>
>>383940635
that looks delicious
>>
>>383940635
not if it's good and a lot of it is optional
>>
>>383940885
>you can't market a game that is designed around a diverse set of characters

There you have it folks, proof diversity is bad.
>>
>>383940635
I always felt like Banjo-Tooie had too much going on. It expanded on the first game with almost two sequels' worth of content, and IMO, it makes the game feel like a huge drag.
>>
>>383940635
Yeah.

You get to have a lot of content when you're worth the time. If you're can't be good, be short, else I'm not going to buy your mediocre dribble game.

Devil May Cry gets to eat up 250 hours. It's earned that. Indie Metroidvania/Platformer gets to eat up 5.
>>
>>383941346
So basically San Andreas?
>>
>>383956169

>Calling AP farm content
Fuck off Ion.
>>
>>383956698
You could axe the entirety of San Andreas outside of the first city, just delete the rest of the overworld and quest and it'd be a better game.
>>
>>383940635
Absolutely. Too much filler shit can easily ruin a game. If it's not worth playing, don't put it in.
>>
>>383940635
If it's a bunch of shit that isn't any good and only exists as a time sink then yes
>>
>>383944952

I don't like this as an example because KH2 did it better by expanding on it which turned it into something decent.
>>
File: Team_fortress_2_then_And_now.png (148KB, 806x542px) Image search: [Google]
Team_fortress_2_then_And_now.png
148KB, 806x542px
Absolutely. And it's all free...
>>
donkey kong 64
>>
>>383944504
I've put about 100 hours in and i still havent gone to Skellige.
>>
>>383940635
Yes. Literally what happened with Duke Nuke'em. Sure games like Yakuza 0 did it right where they stacked the game with a bunch of extra stuff and it worked, or GTAV where even though there is a seemingly endless amount of user created and RockStar created content, at the end of the day there is a point where there is just way too much shit going on and the devs end up spreading themselves too thin.

Now because I'm posting on /v/ allow me to make a food analogy. It's like making a Pizza, if you like a pepperoni pizza (say it's a over the shoulder shooter), you're probably going to like cheese pizza too (fps), but how about you add sausage (driving), and maybe some spinach(cooking). Still on board? Mushrooms (sports sim), bell pepper (rpg), spinach (mmo). Game still looks functional? let's add olives (table top simulators), onions (rhythm), and ham/canadian bacon (canadian games). Looks like the pizza is still holding strong, let's add anchovies (fighting games), pineapple (flying simulator), red onions (building sims), and jalapenos (stealth functions).

Eventually you're going to have a big mess of a pizza instead of anything slightly appetizing. Sure some things go well together but at the end of the day if you add too much the pizza is never going to hold steady.
>>
>>383960593
Thank you for the food analogy, everything in this thread until that was just a blur to me, but now I've seen the light.
>>
>>383960593
i just ate and im hungry again.
>>
File: 1450384461623.jpg (33KB, 818x378px) Image search: [Google]
1450384461623.jpg
33KB, 818x378px
>>383940885
fuck you man, I had forgotten about this and was having a good day.
>>
Yes.
See: DK64
>>
>>383953584
Well he's got a point. Besides this shit hole,to which no one takes seriously and should never take seriously, it is praised by most critics.

If you honestly take the general consensus on every game /v/ mostly shits on everything, who would ever take this place as more then a parody unless they need a good news story about how 4chan upset some drama queen.
>>
>>383944952
As in making a gummi ship? You can easily avoid that and not bother though. But when the content is bloated and you have to do it that's when a game becomes truly shit.
>>
>>383952090
Wot. The content doesn't even touch on Witcher 3 or GTA V
>>
>>383963532
I don't remember GTA V having that much, the majority of the world is empty as shit.
>>
>>383949137
>buy car
>it's filled with shit
>woooooow i can't believe you're complaining about the free shit i threw in there, you should appreciate that i'm giving you that much content
it's also possible for a surplus of content to completely fuck up pacing beyond repair
>>
>>383948984
For a friend's birthday I once baked them kugel per their request.

It reminded me a lot of anon's pic. Never again.
>>
Yes, Everytime I play a game with a gazillion side quests and open world I usually feel that it has too much content
>>
Being bloated as shit can be done but it's very fucking easy for the devs "vision" to get away from them and have a bunch of half realized ideas in their game.

I prefer a tight little package that accomplishes everything it set out to do than a gigantic offering thats filled with half realized and mediocre content
>>
>>383940885
Fuck marketers but this is not a sob story at all

What the fuck happened with haze was the question of the year

Also it took me forever to try timesplitters because I never heard what the hook for the games were supposed to be. I just had the vague idea that some literally who characters travel through time and shoot shit in different environments. Oh wait, that's actually what it is. Timesplitters had no message on what separates it from other shooters.

It's also extremely overrated, I expected more because I usually like cult games with small dedicated fan bases. It's like someone poored water on goldeneye and perfect dark. How you make something mediocre using those games as models and having some of the people who worked on them is beyond me.
>>
>>383940635
Onimusha 4 springs to mind
>>
>>383940635
Yeah, Run Factory 4
>>
>>383952469
I honestly stopped playing TW3 because I got tired of slogging through the filler. I never even got to the big city.
>>
>>383940885
Well what was his excuse for "What happened with Haze?"
>>
>>383940635
>>383940635
Depends. If it's like "wow, this is deep and amazing" then no, if it's "wow, this is a bloated piece of shit" then yes (GTA tends to fall into the latter category).
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.