[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GTA V: >every mission is a linear scripted shitfest that plays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 17

File: header (1).jpg (28KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header (1).jpg
28KB, 460x215px
GTA V:
>every mission is a linear scripted shitfest that plays out the exact same way every single time

GTA IV:
>missions encourage creativity and can be completed in many different ways
>e.g., instead of chasing a target down a freeway and shooting his car until it blows up, place a bomb under his car beforehand so he blows up as soon as he gets in, or follow him until he stops at a gas station and shoot an RPG at the gas pumps, or get ahead of his car and hide in a toll booth to mow him down Godfather-style when he stops, or follow him across the bridge and ram his car into the river, etc.;
>instead of fighting your way through a housing project to kill a target, climb a crane a few blocks away to snipe him with one shot, or call the cops so they have a shootout with the gang members and clear the way for you, or call a friend to send you backup gangsters who will fight by your side, etc;
>instead of going up the elevator and shooting your way through a hotel to kill a target, steal a helicopter and land on the roof to drop down from above, or leave a getaway car running in a nearby alley and use a window-washing platform to get onto an adjacent roof, etc.
>instead of getting into a car chase with the mafia and then escaping the cops after fighting your way out of a museum, call a friend to land his helicopter outside so you can make a clean getaway, etc.
What the fuck went wrong? What's the point of having an open world game if the missions in it play out like levels in a corridor shooter?
>>
>>383923709

I think you're confusing the two games.
>>
>>383923709
Yep, GTA IV has a amazing replay value, on every playthrough I find completely new ways to finish a mission if I only explore a bit.
>>
>>383923709
If you like finishing missions is a whole lot of different ways, you should try San Andreas and Vice City, GTA III !
>>
File: 1493677623784.png (12KB, 299x289px) Image search: [Google]
1493677623784.png
12KB, 299x289px
>>383923709
too bad you have to DRIVE between missions in 4
>>
>>383923983
You're joking, right? Are you seriously suggesting that V's missions are more open than IV's? Give me some examples.
>>
>>383923709
>if you love one thing you must hate another
>if you hate one thing you must love another

let's stop pretending IV was good. I don't care how much you have a hate boner for V.
>>
>>383925223
I've played all three, but this thread isn't about III, Vice City, or San Andreas, it's about the insane downgrade of player freedom from IV to V.
>>
>>383926392

I'm not saying they're more open, just more creative and varied.

You're oversimplifying GTA V and desimplifying GTA IV to hide the fact that every mission is actually just "go here, kill this guy" with a corridor shootout inbetween.
>>
>>383926645
I'm talking about the actual GAMEPLAY of those missions, you fucking retard. GTA V's are so linear and scripted that they play out the same way every time with no room for deviation, whereas many of GTA IV's missions allow you to organically and creatively complete them in tons of different ways. Sure, the premise of "infiltrate a top-secret government base from underwater to steal a deadlg nerve gas" is more interesting than "go to this building and kill this gang member." But guess what? The former will have you doing the exact same fucking thing every time you play it, while the latter will give you tons of options and replay value as to how to tackle it. That's the whole point.
>>
>>383927625

>replay value
>go here and kill this guy using a pistol OR go here and kill this guy using a shotgun

Wow, such replay value!
>>
>>383927897
How about actually reading the OP, mongoloid?
>>
>>383928389
Hes actually right. You are fucking stupid
>>
Lol gtfo GTA IV nostalgia babies every mission was just shooting 30 guys or doing a scripted car chase in slow clunky cars. SA shit all over both of them
>>
The retardation of the general populace, I doubt the average person would ever find any of those options in IV.
V did have the heists, which were great, but there were only like 3 god damn heists in the whole game and each one only had 2 with basically no difference between them.
>>
>>383923709
Bought GTA IV for my PC and been having a blast, my only problem is that shit in the distance looks pixelated and the cutscenes are badly animated. But that can be excused for being a decade old game.
>what the fuck went wrong?
Casuals. To appeal to everybody you have to make it as simple as possible. There is no challenge or depth in GTA V: you practically have a fucking aimbot, the missions are linear despite being an open world game, driving is stiff, the removal of euphoria, not being able to interact with the environment (climbing and grabbing objects), removal of crouch and other small details like scratching your car or being able to go on the police computer, etc etc. I could go on and on, the amount of simplification is sickening.

I fear for GTA VI, I'm not sure if Rockstar recognizes what they did was wrong or if there gonna go full casual and make it mostly multiplayer.
>>
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've played both games and I don't think any of that fucking shit is possible in GTAIV. You're a dumbass.
>>
>>383928389

GTAIV is scripted too, dumbass. None of the shit you posted is even possible ingame.
>>
>>383929216
>None of the shit you posted is even possible ingame.
This. OP is a fucking liar.
>>
>>383923983
no he's not you dumb fuck, he actually has a point, V missions were cinematic scripted shitfests most of the time
>>
>GTA2 has the best missions which offer the most freedom, every other game in the series would copy the missions from this game.
>>
>>383929216
>>383929778
What? In order:
>Pest Control
>Holland Nights
>Late Checkout
>Museum Piece
You really are braindead fucking retards, aren't you? Like, I am communicating with actual, non-meme retards at this moment.
>>
>>383923709
I like how in the interview mission you can use a knife to kill the guy silently and then slash the window with the knife and jump out with zero issue.
>>
>>383923709
IV has some linearity too. the past gta game had more freedom though
>>
>>383930809

none of the shit you posted is possible during those missions
>>
>>383928861
GTA VI will probably be GTA III-tier in terms of technology (physics, car damage, player mechanics) without the fun and its campaign will be just a tutorial for the main component: the money printing multiplayer
>>
>>383931428
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VTTzFpVmxRc
Your retard caregiver should revoke your internet access.
>>
File: 1487966577536.jpg (10KB, 291x395px) Image search: [Google]
1487966577536.jpg
10KB, 291x395px
GTA is dead.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVtZJo-HqI

Don't watch the video if you don't want to cry.

It's over.
>>
>>383932573
>fun and interesting missions that play out the same every time
vs
>go here and kill this guy but you can use a few different weapons to do it each time
>>
>>383932840
>better play the same shit every time the way the developers want you to play instead of having options and deviating from the course
remove yourself from the gene pool you retarded fuck
>>
>>383933087

the first one is fun, the second is not

deal with it, autismo
>>
>>383923709
GTA V:
>shit

GTA IV:
>shit
>>
File: 1490759600780.jpg (100KB, 1267x887px) Image search: [Google]
1490759600780.jpg
100KB, 1267x887px
>>383932829

GTA IV was the last game for the old GTA fans, which is why it was more mature and "gray".

GTA V completely changed their intended target to the pre-teen and teen audience.

It's pretty obvious, most game companies did this recently since video games are unironically for pre-teens and teens.

You have to chose whichever game still seems worth your non pre-teen/teen time.
>>
>>383933438
if what if what you said was true, then GTA V would be targeted towards older fans
>>
>>383932573
first off, this is an 18 minute video and most of it is failing to complete the mission. this shit is in EVERY GTA game. it's not something V is lacking.

and by the way, same channel makes plenty of these same types of videos for gta V.

you're full of shit.
>>
I don't give a fuck about the story, I'm just pissed off how much of a downgrade the physics engine in GTA V is compared to GTA IV. FFS GTA IV came out in 2008
>>
gtaiv is a very special game imo
it was so ahead of its time when it came out, and parts still hold up till this day.
also i just generally prefer the city environment, the countryside in V is kinda boring and throws the scale of everything off balance imo, IV being tiny in comparison still felt like a pretty big city, whereas V I think of the few clusters of sky scrapers, the hollywood hills, highways leading to industrial zones.. 'thats it'
>>
>>383933438
>>383933623
V wasn't targeted towards teenagers specifically, it was targeted towards people who started playing videogames after 2000.
>Less subtle humor, more in your face
>Marketing budget that vastly exceeded actual development budget
>More focus on online gameplay
>Less focus on coherent storyline or characterization
>>
>>383932840
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cmW3pSvuI94
>going up the elevator and shooting your way through the hallways
>calling a friend to borrow his helicopter to fly up onto the roof and attack from above
>using a window-washing platform to get onto another building's roof and getting up that way
>calling a friend to borrow his helicopter and then calling another friend to send backup gangsters, then hovering above the hotel while the gangsters do a fucking aerial drive-by and shoot the guys for you
>then escaping by either going down to street level via the window-washing platform, fighting your way back through the hotel down to the lobby, or flying away in the helicopter
Please just stop. You lost, okay?
>>
>>383934048

it doesn't matter if those options exist when the actual mission of "go here and kill this guy" is fucking boring and unimaginative
>>
>>383933749
FUCKING THIS
>>
File: 1495553567864.jpg (137KB, 707x737px) Image search: [Google]
1495553567864.jpg
137KB, 707x737px
>>383933623
>>383933971

GTA V is the platonic millennial/post-millennial kid game.

>humor is simpler and in your face
>brightly colored
>simpler gameplay
>fast paced
>low skill ceiling
>competitive social-online focused gameplay
>online is based on sharing and visual customization
>black character as a dramatic social commentary

Since it sold so well and created a new legion of pre-teen and teen fans, there is no reason to think they will not follow this setting for their new games.

>GTA VI
>Red Dead Redemption 2

We are aging. Disposable. Vidya is not for us anymore.
>>
>>383932573
i prefer 4 to 5 but this video is just retarded
>"All Possibilities"
>shoot the gas pumps with an SMG
>shoot the gas pumps with a rocket launcher
>shoot the cars with a rocket launcher
>shoot the cars with an SMG
>shoot the cars with an SMG but in a different area
>>
File: 1499093420331.jpg (32KB, 535x560px) Image search: [Google]
1499093420331.jpg
32KB, 535x560px
>>383923709
>GTA IV
>missions encourage creativity
>there are people on /v/ who actually played IV as their first GTA game
>>
i got bored with 4 pretty quick and it was really buggy last time i tried it. roads would just be invisible once you drive fast and far enough and shit. 5 isn't a great game either but all the mods make it fun. probably the worst overall map though.
>>
File: impressive.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
impressive.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>383934183
>claim it's impossible to do the things I listed in those missions
>get BTFO with video evidence
>deflect by saying it's too long for you to watch
>get BTFO with video evidence again
>change the subject in a sad attempt to save face
Honestly, I don't know what I was expecting.
>>
>>383923709

GTA IV's melee is way better.
>>
San Andreas was the last good GTA
>>
>>383935024

>dude there are like, 5 missions where you can use different a different gun every time you're supposed to kill this guy!
>that means every other mission where you kill a guy (AKA fucking all of them) let's you do that too!

ebin
>>
im going to marry niko
>>
>>383932829
I'm a pro-GTA IV guy but that video is full of cherry picking, not to mention that it ignores a lot of the TECHNOLOGY from GTA V that isn't present in IV

stop being nostalgia fags, both games have their ups and downs
>>
>>383933178
it's fun in your sub-human mind you absolute pleb
>>
>>383937289

i guess most people are subhumans then :^)
>>
>>383935579
He's mine you hoe
>>
>>383937373
oh, gee, you think?
>>
>>383931620
GTAVI will be a mmo. GTAV was already a dull single player without much endgame effort.
>>
gta5 campaign a shit. literally played it once and never bothered with it again.
>michael is a literal cuck boi
>trevor 2edgy to be taken seriously
>franklin will smith

the hilarious part is that a simple character change would've made the campaign so much better
1. devin weston
2. lamar davis
3. martin madrazo
>>
>>383932829
Whew never even played 4 or 5 but 4 looks a lot funner then 5 to me.
>t. old GTA 3 fag.
>>
>>383937135
>a lot of the TECHNOLOGY from GTA V
When V first came out I tried to just walk through the city. It didn't take me long to notice the crosswalk lights were just props.
>>
>>383937564
fuck off shithead
>>
>>383923709
Game I don't like:
>summed up in one bland sentence
Game I like
>dive into extreme detail with a retarded fanfic, implying every single thing about [game name] is a beautiful gift from god

you truly are a master of persuasion
>>
Watching people argue between IV and V has made me realize that I'm just too old for this shit now. The real argument is between Vice City and San Andreas. IV and V are neutered trash.
>>
>>383938579
Well, judging by what you have to say, he truly is.
>>
File: 1496026548879.png (168KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1496026548879.png
168KB, 256x256px
>>383938603
The answer is Vice City
>>
>>383938369
I'm sure you may find small stuff on GTA IV that irritates other people

not me though, when I was a teen I'd spend whole afternoons just messing around on GTA IV and not doing anything else
>>
File: 1429652802850.jpg (24KB, 496x499px) Image search: [Google]
1429652802850.jpg
24KB, 496x499px
>the game where missions are linear is more fun than the game where missions let you do what you want
>>
Vice City=IV and its episodes>San Andreas>III>VCS>LCS>Grand Theft Auto>V>GTA2>London

Prove me wrong
>>
>>383923709
There's also this mission if you want to bring up variety in IV:

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Lure_(GTA_IV)

>There are a number of different ways to kill the man.

Sniping him from the opposite building:
>Shoot the cable dish
By shooting the cable dish right outside his window, he'll get close to the malfunctioning TV and on Niko's sight. Don't take long or he'll sit down again out of sight.
>Calling his number
From the opposite building, see through the sniper rifle's lens his house phone number (is 5455550122) and call him. He'll answer the phone confusing the player with somebody named "Shaniqua". This is a chance to shoot him as he's on sight.
>Shooting his windows
From the opposite building, try shooting any of the glasses from the windows. This will cause him to poke his head out to see what's happening. There's a chance to snipe him.
>Shooting the TV set
From the roof across the target's building, snipe the TV screen. This will also cause him to see outside his window. Snipe him as he does so.
>Shoot him from the fire escape outside his apartment
It is possible to shoot him from above the fire escape of his building, but don't get too close or he'll flee.

Luring him out from his safehouse:
If the player wants to attempt to eliminate the target by making him leave his apartment, there's some options available.
>Dialing the number three times or causing three of disturbances
As listed above, without shooting him will cause the target to flee the apartment.
>Throwing a grenade to the window
The explosion, unfortunately, won't dispose the target but cause him to flee.
>Getting too close to his window
If the player approaches the window by the fire escape and gets too close, he'll attempt to leave.

If he leaves, he does so in a Dukes, which you can blow up before he gets there. If you do, he runs into an alleyway where he will engage you with a pistol.
>>
File: buffalobill.jpg (46KB, 639x342px)
buffalobill.jpg
46KB, 639x342px
>that song comes on the radio

What's your song?
>>
>have to pick up something off the back of a train using a transport helicopter
>micheal or franklin is near one of the target containers on the 2nd story of a building
>if you try to pick that one up, the rotors will fucking SHRED micheal or franklin and fail the mission ( fucking launches whoever it is off the roof )
>when you redo the mission, it switches who was on the roof, like whoever you nuked is in the hospital or something
>mfw

the rest of the game was pretty bland but i laughed at that
>>
>>383928389
Damn, you're stupid.
>>
>>383923709
>cherrypicking
thanks op didn't read lol
>>
>>383926392
>GTA IV heist
>linear, scripted escape route
>hold off the cops, go to the subway, go into the tunnel, find the exit, get in the Huntley, get back to Packie's house, get $250,000
>no alternate approaches or escape routes

>GTA V heist
>complete a series of setup tasks to get the right equipment
>choose between multiple different approaches
>choose between several different crew members, each with their own cut, some slightly changing the outcome of the heist (crashing the bike if the bike skill is too low, etc)
>lose money on the way if you're too slow or you pick shitty crew members
>play as different characters throughout the heist, sometimes at will
>get a different amount of money each time

GTA V's missions are scripted but they are far more interesting than GTA IV's "drive here, kill these gang members, maybe chase one along the way" missions. GTA V also beats GTA IV in several other categories such as map variety, customization, weaponry, vehicles, etc. GTA IV is the "no fun allowed" of GTA games. far worse than both San Andreas and GTA V.
>>
>>383943952
also forgot high-skill crew members give you benefits such as more time to work with when looting the store or giving you bikes that stick to the road better during the escape.
>>
>>383943952
>map variety
The north of the city is barren shithole even more so than SA's map
>customization
I love when I change characters they always go back to their own preset clothes and cars
>weapons
Literally pew pew guns because the audio is just fucking wrong and enemies barely react to being shot when MP3 and RDR had motherfuckers going down.

V had some cool shit but it's lackluster as fuck from gameplay.
>>
>>383945185
The map had actual variety, even if you don't consider the mountains. It had a lively city, a countryside and a desert region with it's own small town, airstrip and stores as well as a military base. The only disappointments were the fact that there were no missions tied to the military base or prison, but GTA IV had neither. I was excited because I thought there'd be a mission where you bust Brad out of prison before I realized he was dead.

>I love when I change characters they always go back to their own preset clothes and cars

was referring to being able to actually customize vehicles and put attachment on weapons. Car customization was literally non-existent in IV, you couldn't even respray your car to a color you wanted. There were virtually no aircraft either.
>>
>>383945185
>I love when I change characters they always go back to their own preset clothes and cars
You know you can fix that in the settings, right? Under gameplay there's a setting called 'Keep Current Outfit" that you can turn on.
>>
>>383939781

I don't understand if you're being sarcastic or not. Linearity often can be more fun.
>>
>>383945681
While it was absolutely more environmentally-diverse, none of that matters when the map is essentially the (admittedly great) city of Los Santos with a highway going outwards in a loop from the left to the right. The "mountains" were just big, empty hills that served no purpose except to pad out the map size. The "desert" didn't feel much like a desert because you were in sight of a road at all times and it was the size of a few city blocks. Leaving Los Santos didn't feel like an adventure, it didn't feel like you were heading off into the wilderness, it just felt like an annoying fucking headache because you knew you'd just wind up back in Los Santos in fifteen minutes anyway. Compare SA's map with V's. SA is fucking TINY in comparison, but it feels infinitely bigger because you have a good map flow with three big, meaningful cities spread out across the entire space with lots of little things to find in-between. There was a sense of distance and adventure that just isn't there in V, because V is literally a fucking pointless loop.
>>
>>383928890
All of the shit the mentioned is doable actually, you just need to think outside the box and exploit friendship bonuses.
>>
SA > VC > V > IV > III Fact.
>>
>>383923709
>3 star rating
>just call Kiki
avoiding cops in GTA IV is a pain because of the driving
did this on prison break and bank mission
>>
>>383934183
Wow...it's almost as if it's a sandbox game and it encourages you to use the tools you've been using in the sandbox to keep things interesting.
>>
I will never get all the hate for GTAV...The game is really damn fun. It's clear they made "fun" a priority this time. Sure it's more scripted than IV and the mechanics are a bit zippier and easier, but again, they really focused on fun above all. I like the elaborate setpieces of the missions, and the gameworld feels WAY more populated with content, customization and stuff to do. IV's lack of clothing and car customization really stands out after playing V
>>
>>383945681
In other words, you care about cosmetic fluff over actual mechanics.
>>
>>383948214

I absolutely hate the wanted system in IV. I don't get why people shit on the wanted system in V, it was a fun little game of Pac Man, but in IV, when you get outside the circle you never know if a cop is in your path, they just show up fucking randomly on the map so you can't skillfully avoid them. You just have to drive around enough until the circle goes away.

That prison break mission was hell. Escaping a 3 star level with that big ass truck was not fun.
>>
>>383948276
GTA V is like a boring San Andreas with less shit to do
>>
>>383940226
You're actually spot on, so I can't.
>>
You guys should read up on mission scripts in IV.
It's amazing in how many ways you can fail a mission and the game actually acknowledges it.
For example the mission where you act as an Albanian hitman and you need to whack a capo on a motorcycle
If you change your outfit, you fail the mission, call the boss about it, and the boss calls you a fucking moron for doing it
>>
>>383948267

>just make your own fun!

this is one of the shittiest memes
>>
>>383948438
Ever played Lost and Damned? I think you need to escape a 4 star rating in one mission.
>>
One thing I hate about IV; the soundtrack. I'm sorry, but it's just not poppy enough. It's not fun enough. It's often pretty dreary just like the rest of the game. It was weird playing Gay Tony because the soundtrack is actually fun to drive around with
>>
>>383948610
The open world sandbox genre is literally "make your own fun": The Genre, so I don't know why you're complaining.
>>
>>383948536

that was one of my favorite parts of IV. I loved failing a mission in a certain way, and seeing that post-mission phone call where Niko explains what went wrong. There were often 2-3 different variations per missions too

V had checkpoints, so you miss out on those. I mean I get it, I think checkpoints are good if the missions are really long, but that was just another cool little detail that IV had
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 200x295px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 200x295px
>>383948701
>he doesn't like Stevie Nicks and Vlavodistock FM
>>
>>383948701
>not fun enough
what the fuck does that even mean?
I hated TBOGT soundtrack. Just shitty club tracks and top 40 pop.
>>
>>383948402
I like being able to customize cars in a game based around driving and stealing vehicles. It's not like GTA V was the first to have it, Rockstar went all-out with customization in San Andreas then completely ignored it in IV because they were focused on making a tech demo with above average writing, that's why key elements that everybody loved in SA were missing. GTA IV was good but had way too many deal breakers to make it great. Going from San Andreas to IV is painfully boring.

The GTA 4 circlejerking will go away once GTA 6 comes out and we pretend it's awful and move on to praising GTA V as the misunderstood genius game. That's the cycle with almost every series on /v/.
>>
>>383948845
>Packie, I got the rage. The bitch is dead
>Jesus Niko, what the fuck? Get some counseling or some shit
>>
>>383923709
The thing that pisses me off the most about GTAV is that there is no good way to make money other than the stock market. At least, not enough to allow you to actually buy things.

Theres no:
- Taxi missions
- (Working) casinos
- Races (for profit)
- Impromptu heists after the story mode

Not only that, but:
- The properties that you can buy give you an absolute piss-poor return on investment.
- You can barely buy Michael's properties with the money you have.
- The guns all cost way to much
- The money trucks you can rob are far and few between and barely give you any money

I'm just about finished with the main story and have saved the assassination missions for last since they apparently give you a lot of money if you know how to play the stock market, but that's silly. Why screw people over if you did those missions early or didn't know to invest? I'm terrified of the next game when they will probably make the whole game online and thoroughly fuck anyone who tries to get money through some illegitimate means.

I miss the "Gone In 60 Seconds" style car side missions too. Those were really fun and a good way to make cash.
>>
>>383948438
Or you can just look at the mini map to avoid them and look for a place to hide. The hardest part is getting out of the circle, cops don't randomly spawn next to you so you will have time to react.
>>
>>383948962

I dont think V is misunderstood but I do think it gets way too much hate. The overworld activities are actually pretty fun and there's a lot of stuff to actually do: I really enjoyed the hunting activity, the golf was decent, it was fun to do jobs for properties you bought, and since the car physics were a bit easier to control, the racing was really satisfying. That therapy side activity was also fucking awesome and really cool; to see Michael talk about the game's events to a therapist was a brilliant addition. Also, doing those assassinations missions, and buying/selling stocks afterwards, was just another really cool addition. And I would argue that almost every mission was fun in some fashion. And that epsilon side quests with Michael were pretty damn fascinating and fun.

This will sound crazy but I also think V is significant better written than IV, and the other games, because the characters actually have sufficient motivations for what they are doing, and the dialogue makes more sense in the context for the characters. In the other games, it feels like you are doing missions because that's what the game demands, but in V, you really feel like the characters need to do what they are doing (or that they would actually, realistically do it). In IV the driving force behind most of the misisons is "Niko needs money" (the "I need to find someone" plot is ignored too much IMO). in V the driving force is usually stronger. Also, V's "serious" moments are actually surprisingly emotional: when trevor is looking out over los santos saying "I grived for you!", when trevor says "no one gives a shit about me!" to michael, or when michael is driving back to north yankton, and plays all those events in his head.

Finally the customization really is awesome, its fun to play around with how your car looks and there are shitloads of clothing options (though not a ton of hair options unfortunately).
>>
>>383949348
>I'm terrified of the next game when they will probably make the whole game online and thoroughly fuck anyone who tries to get money through some illegitimate means.

BUY OUR SHARK CARDS GOYS- I MEAN GUYS!
Working as intended.
>>
>>383948438
All you do is go outside the circle and wait like 20 seconds for the wanted level to go away; it's not hard. That bus mission was easy too, all you do is wait for the bus to leave the prison, shoot the driver, and drive outside the circle. I beat it in around 6 minutes, including the time it took to drive there. If you're really stuck, just drive into the subway tunnels through the breakable gate in northern Algonquin.

I like both IV and V, but the cop AI is easily the worst thing about GTA V, and it's not even subjective either. The cop system is practically the same concept as IV's, except there's no circle, the cops still spawn in front of you all the time with no way to predict, and the 20 seconds in IV turns into 1 and a half minutes in V, even when there are no cops around and you have a 1 star wanted level. Also, the cops magically know where you are; example is in that one Online mission for Simeon where you blow up cars. If you set sticky bombs on those cars, drive half a city away and into the underground tunnels you used to escape the cops in the jewelry store job, then trigger the bombs, the cops will drive to the entrance of the tunnels but won't drive in for some ungodly reason. I should know because I tried this myself. It's one of the moments in V I will never forget. The cops in V are psychic but at the same time complete fucking retards. At least the cop AI was consistent in IV; they didn't know where you were 100% of the time yet couldn't come after you because of limitations in AI programming.

One more thing, there are even videos out there showing V's cops rubberbanding after your supercars, which should leave their cruisers in the dust, and artificially inducing the PIT maneuver just by grazing the back of your car, and not actually doing it. The cop AI in V is easily the most unfair in the whole series, which is why V is the hardest game to survive a police rampage in; it's either camp in one spot away from helis or die.
>>
>>383949348
The first heist gives Franklin over $100,000 in spending money, and Michael and Trevor start off with that much iirc. There are also briefcases with like $25,000 in them underwater that you can easily get at the start of the game. Money is never an issue in the game unless you're stupid.
>>
>>383949348
>The properties that you can buy give you an absolute piss-poor return on investment.
yup, this pissed me off too, you need like 100 weeks in-game to return the investment for most properties

thank you, game
>>
>>383923709
you forgetting all the scripted car chases in IV where you couldn't knock the car off the road or damage it in the slightest until it reached a certain point? shit there were even on-foot chases where the target would regenerate health if you shot them before reaching the end of a rooftop.
>>
File: EFLC 2017-07-02 11-01-24-11.webm (3MB, 540x302px) Image search: [Google]
EFLC 2017-07-02 11-01-24-11.webm
3MB, 540x302px
>>383926291
literally git gud
>>
>>383949692
actually it gives Franklin almost $300,000, my bad.
>>
>>383949348
>- The properties that you can buy give you an absolute piss-poor return on investment.
Why the fuck is allowed? Half the properties in Vice City gave you actual missions to do so you can unlock a money generator there, in V you just get a message to come help drive something from point A to point B every now and then and a weekly payment.
>>
>>383949820
Those missions existing is a problem, but they don't make up the bulk of the game like these missions do in V.
>>
>>383949820
Do you think other gta don't have that too?
>>
>>383949998
>losing all that speed sliding around corners

Realism!
>>
>>383938603
Vice city had the better radio, and was good for the size, GTA SA had good radio, but not as good as Vice City, and was too big for the game, so it was just tons of downtime in SA, though SA had the better missions.
>>
>>383950142
yeah, but you can't really make a point to highlight it as a flaw in V if they're in all the games, including IV.
>>
>>383950142
SA was the game that started the trend of including this cancerous form of mission design.

I really wished that people called the game out for it at the time.
>>
>>383938603
Always Vice City. SA is great, but VC is better.
>>
>>383923709
I'm about 20 hours into GTA IV. When does it get fun?
>>
>>383950267
SA may have had a lot of empty space outside of the cities but at least that empty space had a purpose unlike V: to go to other fucking cities!
>>
>>383950267
SA's map was perfect because each segment of the story gave you a chance to explore throughout the entire map.
>>
>>383950458
When you start screwing around in free roam.
>>
>>383950338
>try to mess with scripted shit
>fucking crash
>>
>>383949662

The cop AI in V was terrible, but the system for evading them was more fun. But I agree it took way too long.
>>
>>383950316
Because in older games, those scripted event is very rare and quite hard to notice unlike V.
>>
>>383950650
The driving is alright, but the game world seems empty. And my weapons are randomly taken away. Like from one mission to the next, they may or may not be gone, apparently. Also the way in which missions are given to you makes it difficult to manage your time. You get a call and then it's go time. I have no idea of which missions are just fluff and which advance the storyline either.
>>
>>383950247
Yes that would be realistic. Drifting actually kills a lot of your forward momentum.
>>
>>383950815
They were very noticeable in IV. When a garbage truck suddenly boosts to speeds faster than your sports car, complete with bulletproof tires and invulnerable passengers, it's noticeable.
>>
>>383950932
There's no pressure to start missions once you get a call. You can just take your time with them.

Also, you have to call your friends and use the in-game Internet to access side content like races and shit rather that go to a marked point on the map. I get the feeling this is where the "GTA IV has no content" meme comes from.
>>
>>383950932

All missions are required to advance the storyline except for Dwayne's missions - and Brucie's last mission. Those are the only optional ones.
>>
File: AMERIKEKS.png (499KB, 764x646px) Image search: [Google]
AMERIKEKS.png
499KB, 764x646px
seriously any GTA IV enthusiasts here, I have the mod for you. to put it short it shuffles around weapon strenghts.

for example all glocks shoot rockets, smg's shoot smaller smgs that explode at a timer, deagles have really strong bullets, and i think rifles are upped with ammo and no reload. I forgot the other ones but those are the big changes. oh and taxi's are carmageddon.

for real, if i only recorded my streams of this run you would be laughing your ass off, it is so hilariously playable you will find a whole new level of respect for the game. theres like two missions where the glock rockets makes it unpassable, oddly enough only because of scripted events.

From what I remember all endings are playable but of course at extreme difficulty that this quick mod does.
>>
>>383949578
Niko saying he needed money was just the motivation he told people; the actual motivation was that he wanted to take care of both Roman and himself and achieve the American Dream that Roman desired but couldn't achieve and Niko originally sought out as an escape from his previous life and later as a way to make it up to Roman for essentially being the cause of Roman's entire livelihood going up in smoke. The plot of IV is roughly divided into three arcs:
>Niko getting accustomed to America and trying to work his way up legitimately by working as a taxi driver, while trying to solve all the problems Roman had created for himself while he was gone
>Niko and Roman attempting to rebuild their lives after Dimitri destroyed everything by making contact with and doing favors for people in the city for money
>Niko trying to find Florian Cravic and Darko Brevic after him and Roman finally set themselves up, while repaying debts to friends he's made in the second arc by doing what he's best at and feels comfortable doing: killing people
The "I need to find someone" is merely a side objective of Niko's and a bonus in coming to America, since he knew Florian Cravic was in Liberty City. Niko's real goal was to rebuild his life with Roman's help and attempt to find happiness in himself by achieving the American Dream, and that's the goal he goes for first, until circumstances make him deviate from it by force. This is an ideal sought out by many immigrants in real life, only to find that for most, especially if they're illegal like Niko is, America turns out to be just as bad for them as the place they came from. GTA IV's plot is basically an exploration of this idea, with the violence characteristic of a GTA game used as a vehicle to explore it, along with the complexity of revenge as a method of attaining happiness with oneself, and jadedness with your calling in life and what it does to your psyche.
>>
>>383951365
Well that's good to know.
>>
>>383951608
tl:dr
>>
>>383949348

V had taxi missions
>>
File: agg.png (35KB, 112x118px) Image search: [Google]
agg.png
35KB, 112x118px
>>383951491
I've posted it before but people always yell and scream it is a virus, even though all it does is add carmageddon taxi and changes gun stats, literally notepad tier change.

BTW those unpassable missions you just save your guns.ini or whatever it was called and replace it with the default vanilla one and pass the two late game missions. If someone is intrigued I'll post a link.

Seriously I think it is a whole other game almost, once you go rocket pistols you will be bored by the real game. Oh and things like limp mode and freebody mode are added hotkeyed to the keyboard, I never experienced those in vanilla either. I'm only saying this out of love for the game.

Add adam jensen as the character model (not in the mod) and you've got a dystopic hell where cops ride around shooting rockets out of their cops trying to catch you. Or just look up how to do it yourself if you hate me!
>>
File: reee.jpg (14KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
reee.jpg
14KB, 208x250px
>tfw thanks to shark card jewing I'll never live to see Vice City in HD with everglades
>>
>>383951608
Roman's gambling addiction also pulls him into most of the trouble he finds himself in, but the biggest catalyst is offing Vlad, which led to Dimitri, which led to Bulgarin, and so on.
>>
File: photo (1).jpg (38KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo (1).jpg
38KB, 900x900px
CrowbCat saves another day

https://youtu.be/GWVtZJo-HqI
>>
>>383948610
This is the type of person who prefers Far Cry 3 over Far Cry 2. Who wants to play a game that allows you the freedom to play around and experiment with the game's mechanics in an open world and lets you use your brain and your creativity to accomplish objectives and improvise when you can just get spoonfed DUDE BIG EXPLOSIONS LMAO SCRIPTED SETPIECES EVERYWHERE SHOOTY SHOOTY BOOM BOOM HAHA WUB WUB WUB SKRILLEX FTW XDDD for ten or fifteen hours? Video games are already a pretty lowly hobby and people like you are at the very bottom of it. Why experiment? Why think outside the box? Why explore? Why think on your feet? Why use your head? Why do any of those things when the developers can just do them for you, right?
>>
>VC > SA> Chinatown Wars = IV > 5
It's a shame so few people have experienced Chinatown Wars
>>
>>383952053
Definitely, but killing Vlad was Niko's attempt at a solution to Roman's problems with his business being so indebted to Vlad and with his would-be-lover Mallorie having to sleep with him to keep it afloat. It's also in a way a commentary on the value of revenge as well, as the whole thing was Niko taking revenge for Roman for everything Vlad did to him by killing him, and the melancholic consequences that follow.
>>
>>383952470
>no 3
>no 2
Maximum Plebeian
>>
>>383952235
Far Cry 2 is a terrible game though
>>
GTA IV was miles better. V was a movie.
>>
>>383952235
Far cry 2 is a grind of a game man, the shooting mechanics and healing mechanics get old by your 3rd crazy nigger convoy spawned because you walked by a camp
>>
>>383952557
I've played them but I have never beat them. Vice City had so much more atmosphere to me so I never cared to play 3. As for 2 it I can play it for an hour but then I get tired of it.
>>
>>383943952
>GTA IV is the "no fun allowed" of GTA games.

GTAO literally punishes you for trying to have fun.
>>
>>383938603
you're an idiot, euphoria physics makes the series so much stronger than ever. If they just added those physics to those older games somehow, you would pick the newer version every time.
>>
My main problem with V is that the plot mostly has you working for government agencies, a dweeby little hacker, random pedestrians, or yourself, instead of working your way through the criminal underworld. It's different, but deviates too heavily from the GTA formula.
>>
>>383953157
>If they just added those physics to those older games somehow
I want them to add them into V first.
>>
>>383952964
Honestly I prefer IV's multiplayer over that dumpster fire.
>>
>>383953159
True.

There is basically no structure or sense of progression to V's plot.

You start off as a wealthy criminal with a number of connections and you end the game as a slightly wealthier criminal. It's not as dramatic as the rags to riches stories seen in SA and IV.
>>
>>383952235
Video game revisionists like yourself are the cancer of this board
>>
How can I save my game now that GFWL is gone?
>>
>>383928776
>Nostalgia
>Game came out in 2013

What are you babbling about?
>>
>>383947714
not to mention, the mountain is completely wrong scale to the rest of the environment and is simply decoration or a visual marker its like baby humps
>>
>>383953369
every GTA game is rags to riches and that's what makes them great
>III - just out of prison, working way through Mafia, Yakuza, etc, so you can get revenge on the bitch who shot you
>VC - just out of prison, trying to make a name for yourself and build your drug empire, step by step
>SA - you go from a broke ghetto nigger to a wealthy businessman owning garages, have a share in casino, is a manager to a famous rapper, etc.
>IV - fresh out of boat nobody into the most infamous hitman in Liberty City
>>
>>383953159
I personally found that really interesting, much in the same way I found GTA IV interesting because it was so much different from the GTAs that came before it in pretty much every aspect.
>>383953369
>slightly
You're hundreds of millions of dollars richer at the end of the game, all three characters are. Franklin goes from living in the hood and sharing half the rent to being a potential billionaire, and V is the only GTA where you can be a legit billionaire as well. It's just that all that money is yours, the player character doesn't spend it on anything for himself, so it doesn't feel like you actually earned that much. Furthermore, Trevor is the only one with any real beneficial connections; Franklin's friends are all horrible people in their own ways and Michael has no friends besides Franklin; his only contacts are the FIB agents who make him do their bidding for a lot of the game.
>>
>>383953852
To amend this, Trevor may have a successful criminal business, but he built it almost entirely on his own by being an unkillable psycho. His only friends are Ron and Wade: one is a bootlicking lunatic conspiracy theorist, and the other is a legitimate retard. Trevor does all the heavy lifting by himself, you see this in the side missions you play that have to do with Trevor's business; it's him alone doing most of the work and other people telling him where to fuck shit up for maximum efficiency. So even Trevor lacks substantial connections.
>>
>>383951365
I thought Dwayne was required since Playboy told you to help him? So I don't have to kill that fag for Brucie or anything else?
>>
>>383953852
>Michael has no friends besides Franklin
>tfw Michael admits he's sad and lonely to Frank and was unable to make friends when he got to LS
>realizing that this is the reason Michael tries so hard to get Franklin a job, because it was his first real friend he's made in his 9 years in Los Santos
>>
>>383949348
I agree with you about the properties but the assassination missions straight up tell you about the stock market's existence; there's a finance section of the web browser that has all the stock hosting websites in one place, and Lester basically tells you the stocks of interest during the intro cutscenes. Bottom line is, invest in the stocks he says he invested in or that he's looking into before the missions, and as for the companies he doesn't invest in but you fuck over by doing the assassinations, wait until their share prices drop after the mission, then buy in, and sell when they go back up. It's simple "buy low, sell high." Watch the intro cutscene, keep these rules in mind, reload the save, and invest in the right stocks. It is possible without a guide, you just need a bit of patience.

Also, how is this not illegitimate? You're literally killing a bunch of people just to fuck around with the stock market for your own personal gain. The ludicrous gains from the assassination missions don't happen when the stock market is normal.
>>
>>383954546
you forgot about trevor's cook who for some reason seeemed like a capable, reasonable person. stood out from wade and ron
>>
>>383953346
Fucking this.
IV's multiplayer was great. I lost count of how many hours I played. Remember Cops n Crooks?
V's multiplayer, or should I say GTA Online, was garbage. I tried to like it, but I couldn't stomach more than a week before leaving. When I came back for the snow event on Christmas I thought "maybe this time I'll like it". Nope. It was still garbage.
The worst part is that it has completely corrupted Rockstar. Now they know idiots will gobble up shark cards and pump money into them for no real effort.
>>
>>383958148
>>383949348
Like for example, take the Hotel Assassination. This is part of the main story so you already played it; I can spoil it for you.

1) Watch the intro cutscene, listen carefully

>Lester: You know, we'll fix the market in our favor and we'll right a few wrongs while we're at it
>Lester: Only Brett Lowrey, CEO of Bilkington Research paid off the FDA...if he goes away, then America goes back to using Mollis, and Betta Pharmaceuticals gets a big bump in the price of their stock
So from these two lines, you know that the objective here is to fuck around with the stock market, you're killing the CEO of Bilkington Research (this is who you're fucking over), and Betta Pharmaceuticals (the company Lester is interested in) will go up after the job is done. So now,

2) Reload and invest in Lester's stock of interest

Invest in Betta Pharmaceuticals before starting the mission again, do the mission, and wait for the stock to jump in price. Then sell.

3) Wait for the stocks of the company you fucked over to tumble, then buy low, sell high.

Keep an eye on Bilkington Research. When you see the stock take a tumble and decrease a huge amount in price (you'll see this via the line graphs the websites provide), use the money you gained from selling Betta Pharmaceuticals to buy as much Bilkington stock as you can, wait until the stock goes up again, then sell.

It's like this for all five assassination missions, just the name of the stocks and how Lester conveys the info differ, but he always tells you everything you need to know. Remember, you have the weapon every investor wishes they had IRL: the ability to go back in time and redo their financial decisions.
>>
>>383958980
I mean I had fun fucking around in free mode but other than that and Hangman's Noose, what was there to do? I prefer doing missions and heists in Online.
>>
>>383956825
>tfw you realize that will be you minus the bitching house/car/money/neighborhood and any skill to do anything
>>
>>383952235
Far Cry 2 is a piece of shit.
>>
>>383960347
You underestimate the power of fucking around in free mode.
>>
>>383949998
how the fuck do you git gud though
>>
>>383948701
IV's soundtrack is an acquired taste. I'll always love San Andreas and Vice City's soundtracks because nearly every song escalates the aesthetic of the time each game was set in, but their radio stations are too convenient that they're comprised of mostly all acclaimed hits of their contemporary times.

IV encompasses more genres and decades that fits a specific mood in relation to the story. For example, it's probably a weird coincidence, but whenever I had to make big decisions to kill someone, Phillip Glass' "Pruit Igoe" on The Journey was usually on.

https://youtu.be/t29fgA5M7VA
>>
>>383960562
Look up racing lines and hitting apexes. Every crosswalk corner of the city is an apex. That's how I think of it anyway.
>>
>>383960530
But you can do that in GTA Online. IV's multiplayer was just a less refined GTA Online. You were probably just a kid when you played IV and that's why you look back on it with rose-tinted glasses.
>>
>>383941115
Edge of seventeen by stevie nicks
>>
File: 1409201512692.png (11KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
1409201512692.png
11KB, 211x246px
>>383951491
>>383951972
>types all that shit
>doesn't post it
>>
>>383961170
And people wonder why accusations of being a shill get flung around so much.
>>
>>383955851

Dwayne's missions are not required.

For Brucie, you have to do "Out of the Closet", but only the first part, where you make a date online. Actually going to the date and killing him is not required to advance the storyline. Although, if you don't do it, you will get annoying texts from Roman all the time telling you about your date.

Every other mission is required to advance.
>>
>>383948438
GTA V is much harder to lose cops in. In IV it's like 6 seconds after you get out of their view, in V it feels like almost a minute. Both are flawed but at least IV allowed for some fun.
>>
>>383965416
that, and the cops in IV will actually bother to chase you and not immediately shoot you with aimbot targeting like in V.
>>
>>383923709

DESU, I found GTA 5 too easy compared to all previous GTA games, highlighting that it was dumbed down for the masses. This is one of the major flaws in 5 compared to 4 that I guess lead OP to such a conclusion.
>>
>>383923709
They downgraded the engine too, the physics are terrible in V compared to IV. I liked more realistic and dark feel of IV too
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.