[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ori

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
What are your thoughts and hopes for this game?
>actual combat
>just a bit longer
>bash returns, but not too many other rehash abilities
>comes to Steam (I'll just deal with the Windows store if it doesn't though)
Also, why does Ori look like he was ran over by a steamroller? Maybe it's just the angle.
>>
I dont ever think about ori
>>
>>383912642
How come?
>>
I found the first one to be seriously underwhelming, so I don't even begin giving any fucks about expansions or sequels or what ever.
>>
>>383912731
Not sure even now, nothing.
>>
>>383913037
It's okay my man, you don't have to think about Ori.
>>
>>383913237
New one looks pretty though
>>
>>383912789

You never played it.
>>
>>383912339
This is one of those games that I know is good but Ill never have the time to get into.
>>
>>383913367
I genuinely did. I just really, really disliked it. I found it annoying gameplay-wise and incredibly shallow and manipulative and kitschy in terms of art direction and presentation.
>>
>>383912339
HK is full of cheap artificial difficulty horseshit. Is this any better in that regard?
>>
File: 97996034904.jpg (32KB, 350x386px) Image search: [Google]
97996034904.jpg
32KB, 350x386px
>>383912339
i hope it wont be canceled
>>
>>383913384
The first one too you mean? The game only takes about ten hours to beat.
>>383913610
What sort of artificial difficulty in the game bothered you? Ori doesn't have corpse runs and the map fills out as you go instead of having to go to a bench and such.
The escape sequences in Ori can be challenging since you have to start them over every time you die, but they're not too long either. I still actually found those more challenging than HK's White Palace because there are so many checkpoints in it.
>>
>>383913534

Sounds like something a hater would say after watching a youtube video of it.
>>
>>383913908
Or after playing couple of hours of it. Seriously, can you not actually comprehend that somebody might have genuinely dislike the damn thing?
It's exploitative and masturbatory as fuck. There is no actual heart or nuance in it. I was reminded of Cave Story and of how that game actually played around with some complexity to it's message, how it was about an actual story and not a cheap pulling on string after pulling on string. It's painfully obvious that the whole thing is just afterthought to "let's use use cutesy artstyle and then pull of a super sad moment when a cute mother character dies!". Everything else was build because they assumed that as long as the story is sad, nobody will dare to actually complain about it for fear of seeming insensitive or jaded.
Mechanically it's mixture of dull and frustrating with not a single damn good idea, and narrative wise it's literally kistch - string of images creating a pretense of emotional relevance or value, without any substance behind it.

If you want actually more interesting take on similar setup, go play Waking Mars or Cave Story instead. They are more mechanically interesting and provide much better and nuanced storytelling.
>>
>>383914640
Ori's story is nothing special, but the gameplay has some unique mechanics like bash. I'm not saying you should have played more hours of it to get to the part with that ability, but the game gets better and better and platforming feels great as you progress through the game.
Not the fag you're replying to, I believe you played it and you're entitled to your opinions.
>>
>>383912339
Here's my bulletpoints
>Doesn't get canceled
>Not W10 app store exclusive
>Flesh out the Metroidvania aspect, or drop it entirely and just make it a tightly paced action-platformer
>Don't have a spammable autoaim attack ability that encourages a boring and inefficient playstyle that ends up making people think that the combat is utterly shit
>>
>>383916314
I'd be upset if it wasn't a Metroidvania, it just needs to be less linear next time perhaps, the game should only hint where to go instead of just throwing a blip on the map, perhaps.
The first game was suppose to have melee combat, but they cut it for some reason. I hope they bring it back, but also don't make it so it's not too bullet spongey.
Hollow Knight wasn't too bad in that regard, but it was ridiculous that commonly traveled areas that you encountered very early in the game still had enemies that took multiple hits to kill even after you're fully upgraded.
>>
>>383914875

Fooled you faggot. I never dis play it.
>>
File: file.png (10KB, 356x107px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
10KB, 356x107px
>>383916789
Nice try :^)
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-01-05-44-25.png (294KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-01-05-44-25.png
294KB, 540x960px
>>383916873
>>
>>383916615
I really wouldn't be too heartbroken if the sequel wasn't a metroidvania anymore (it will be though, the lead dev explicitly said so). The first one doesn't place much emphasis on exploration & combat and is so linearly structured that it might as well not be one, the real meat of the game is the platforming and the various setpieces.
>>
>>383917235
It is, the platforming is the best part. But I still kind of liked the level layout and hope it gets even less linear.
>>
>>383917402
Well the lead dev has also said that their budget and scope is much much much bigger this time, here's a little quote

>The idea is that Will of the Wisps should be to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros

So you very likely might get your wish
>>
>>383912339
Nothing. Just come out and blow me aways again.
>>
>>383917976
I hope it ends up twice as long this time, Ori was over too quick even at 100%. I don't want it to be as long as Hollow Knight though, that dragged on a bit too much. Hopefully Ori's swifter platforming still circumvents that while still having a larger map.
>>
>>383912339
>this game didn't have any actual combat because your main attack was pre-aimed.

Come on, I know that the combat wasn't exactly good but nobody used spirit fire to kill anything pre ultra late game because it was worthless unless you were playing on easy or normal.
>>
>>383918238
More of his movement abilities should double as attacks, perhaps. Not saying he's gotta stop and start punching shit.
>>
>>383918238
>but nobody used spirit fire

Just go look up gameplay done by average players and you'll see that's the only thing that most players used. It's the main reason why the combat gets so much shit even though it's not bad at all.
>>
>>383914640
You're expecting too much of the game to go out ass blasted like this
>>
>>383916997
when i see such pics i think its time to visit other boards just to gather new memes and pics, everything is so stale on /v/
>>
>>383912339
I hope it is less linear and lets you do the crazy and fun stuff you could in Super/SOTN.
>>
>>383913610
Actually I found Ori having artificial difficult instead of HK.

In the End enemies became fucking bullet sponges (I was on the Ice temple, only leveled the combat path, but sometimes rushed the game)
>>
>>383913702
>>383916314
It got a full length trailer on an E3 conference where 30 other games got at most 5 seconds of footage each.

Why the fuck would it get cancelled?
>>
>>383912339
Any news for it coming to non WStore platforms?
>>
>>383912339
Changing the combat completely. I think it should be Bash-based and you should primarily be dealing with enemies by reflecting projectiles, bouncing enemies into spikes, or throwing enemies into each other. Instead of having default projectiles, you throw things in the environment.

I'd also like to see more unique pick-ups in the environment. Leveling up and ability orbs weren't as cool as getting new specific-use items in Metroid.

I also hope it's a little longer.
>>
>>383918513
like half of the movement abilities have attacks associated with them. The super jump, stomp, bash redirects projectiles, dash had an unlockable attack. What attack+movement did you find lacking? The feather?
>>
>>383923049
No, but strangely there was some sort of update for Ori Definitive on Steam according to SteamDB. I didn't actually get an update, but they are at least acknowledging the old game being on Steam. They also put "On sale on Steam!" on the official website during the Steam sales, so maybe there's some home. I'll still get it even if it's a store exclusive.
>>383924787
The problem is that I don't want it to just always be environmental. I don't want there to always have to be spikes, plant acid, and other hazards around. If they remove the spam X attack from the game, then I hope whatever new stuff they come up with doubles as attacks too, like some of the ones from Ori did.
>>
>>383925463
There were plenty of places where the environment wasn't as much of a threat as the enemies. Think of all the times the mortar tentacle things popped up and started fucking with you. The environment and the enemies are supposed to work together, why cut out half of that equation.

The only people I ever hear complaining about the combat are people who didn't use stuff like wall jumping with the charge jump or the charge dash to become a living bolt of lightning. They just danced back and forth in front of enemies spamming X spouting "why does everything take so long to kill?"
>>
File: hdgf.jpg (45KB, 630x184px) Image search: [Google]
hdgf.jpg
45KB, 630x184px
>>383923049
It probably will if Microsoft is nice enough, pic related
>>
>>383923049
Probably going to be Win10 WS exclusive again.
>>
More sequence breaking. Stop calling them metroidvanias if you don't have multiple paths for fuck's sake.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.