[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: dissapointment.jpg (98KB, 604x423px) Image search: [Google]
dissapointment.jpg
98KB, 604x423px
What went wrong?
>>
Didn't bother creating a good strong universe like Warcraft.
>>
>>383900062
which franchise would make a good mmorpg by that logic? clearly not C&C or stracraft
>>
File: throw it in le garbage.png (89KB, 302x375px) Image search: [Google]
throw it in le garbage.png
89KB, 302x375px
>>383899219
>MOBA
>>
>>383900319
you are retarded
>>
>>383899219
People thought they wanted to, but they didn't.
>>
ironically, what went wrong was exactly what they set out to do.

to make "Vanilla Warcraft" again (Raiding, time to level up)

the Attunment quest line is absolutely fucking insane even compared to Vanilla WoW's, barring all semi-casuals from entry.

and most MMO players are Semi-Casuals and Casuals, they were never going to enjoy the endgame.

also PVP is a cluttered mess with millions of AOE's going off at once, its information overload.
>>
>>383899219
The art put off a lot of people. The gameplay was actually really good, especially healing (for the time) was quite innovative (still is in a sense) with a lot of it being targeted manually. But the overall art design was off putting to everyone except furries, there wasn't enough content at launch and none was ever added in later so even the people who liked the game stopped playing soon after hitting max level.

IMO it's a tragedy because the base gameplay, the combat, is some of the best In any mmo. But pretty much everything else sucked
>>
20m raids were fun (but riddled with bugs)
everything outside of 20m raids was less fun
>>
>Get told this game has a great combat system
>It's just piano hot keys again, bit this time you have to make sure your cone lines up on the target
>Make sure to dodge the heavily telegraphed enemy cone!
>>
Blizzdrones
>>
>>383899219
Outside of the cool animations, there was no other real substance to keep people playing.
>>
If MMOs aren't wildly successful they can't sustain themselves. Just "ok" is not enough; you basically need to emulate the WOW elephant in the room while doing something better, or do something completely different that enough people actually want. Turns out enough people didn't want it.
>>
>>383899219
Bad optimization
>>
>queue up for dungeon
>join random group
>group has already wiped four times when you join
>you aren't eligible for best dungeon rewards

Or

>queue up for PvP
>join game in progress
>game has 30 seconds left
>your team loses
>-100 PvP points
>>
>>383899219
As with literally every other MMO of the last decade...

It tried to be better than WoW or replace WoW, and failed.
>>
>>383901283
You don't though. There are a lot of smaller MMOs that still have fanbases and make a lot of money.
>>
>tfw you still play

The DEDGAME thing turns people off right off the bat. There's no wowhead or item database, no guides that are routinely updated and everything is based on hearsay.

But damn do I love that housing.
>>
>>383899219
The """"humor"""" they shoved into literally everything and I mean fucking everything was more cancerous than even Gearbox.
>>
I didn't buy it due to the art design. That's some Wind Waker level garbage. I bet the game is infested with furries.
>>
>>383902581
See that hamster on the cover? The lore states that people can't tell the difference between male and female and they only have one model without distinct male/female anatomy. Now imagine what kind of people that will attract.
>>
>>383900506
>"Vanilla Warcraft" again
>time to level up
The demographic for MMOs was probably pretty finished with leveling at that point. FFXIV in 2010, SW:TOR/Tera/Rift in 2011, GW2/PSO2/WoW:Pandaria in 2012, and TESO/BDO/WoW with Wildstar in 2014.
>>
>>383902765
Jesus fuck. What a mistake.
>>
>>383902581
>Wind Waker level garbage
???
>>
>>383900506
>also PVP is a cluttered mess with millions of AOE's going off at onc
sounds fun
dont make a mmorpg for shitty 40vs40
>>
>>383899219
Pandering to feminists and ugly characters.
>>
>>383902581
Wow, you're a stupid nigger if you don't realize the obvious ratchet and clank, Jak and Dax, and Pixar influence. This doesn't even dip its toes in the wind waker sphere.
>>
>>383899219
The kinds of people that play these game like waifus, they were all battleborn level on wildstar.
>>
>>383900116
Magic the gathering honestly, massive universe, fuck tons of items and crewture variety. I really hope they do well with it but its cryptic and perfect world so we'll see.
>>
>>383900116
>implying starcraft isn't a great setting
At least before they shat out SC2 but still
>>
I hate games that limit the amount of skills you can have. I remember in wow wotlk every spell had some kind of use. Hell, even underwater breathing from warlock was used when priests were constantly dispelling everything in pvp. Wildstar doesn't have any of that shit, it lets you select a few spells and then you have to roll with it. Also pvp in wildstar was a massive clusterfuck from what I've seen. There were billions of red zones overlapping each other while people were jumping all over the place to try and dodge as many as they could while throwing out their own. Never got really far in wildstar so it might be different on higher levels but the games aesthetics and those other things I've mentioned ruined the game for me.
>>
>>383903518
Wind Waker has shit art design. I'm sorry you had to find out like this.
>>
>>383903698
Those games look like garbage.
>>
File: zymAc.gif (122KB, 497x377px) Image search: [Google]
zymAc.gif
122KB, 497x377px
>>383904000
>pvp in wildstar was a massive clusterfuck from what I've seen. There were billions of red zones overlapping each other
You just need to get used to reading the code.
>>
>>383899219

The only real reason I can think of was just the amount of time it took to level up. yeah the skill and talent system wasn't great, but god damn it took forever to get to the level cap. Most popular MMOs recently have realized that leveling is pretty fucking boring now and have made fast-track or quick-exp methods to help level a character up. Wildstar was trying to sell you a flip-phone when you're used to smart phones.
>>
>>383900116
Elder scrolls
and it failed horrible
>>
>>383904683
>it took forever to get to the level cap
The first time I played at launch it took about little under 5 days to hit cap and that's with me taking my sweet time doing dungeons and hanging around with friends. More recently I got an alt to cap in like 3 days.
>>
File: 1378627647698.jpg (26KB, 376x391px) Image search: [Google]
1378627647698.jpg
26KB, 376x391px
>tfw you will never play drop 4 era wildstar again
Dungeon progression was so much more fun than raiding.
>>
>>383904780
Did it? Pretty sure that game's still healthy as fuck. I hear pretty good things.
>>
>>383904780
TES:O is doing staggeringly well. Mostly because it got a huge normie fanbase from Skyrim.
>>
>>383904683
Faster leveling won't solve anything. What an MMO needs is a leveling process that encourages people to interact with each other. Wildstar has the same problem as WoW and other modern MMOs have where leveling is just a glorified single player game until max level. Even then automated dungeon finder turns any alleged multiplayer content into an awkward group masturbation session. Slower leveling is on the right track but it's not enough by itself.
>>
This is still my favorite mmo but that looming fear of NCsoft shutting this down and the low pop really makes me not get into it as much as i used to
>>
>>383905549
why have leveling at all in mmorpgs?
more content sounds better than content you wont really use
>>
>>383905898
Leveling allows new players to ease in to the game and learn the trade. The moment you hit max level everyone just assumes you know what's what and rage when you don't.
>>
>>383906241
now assume there isn't max level
you dont get jerks pretending you know everything always?
just throwing random ideas
in wow for example , i think it would be better to have 5 zones for max level (or only level), than 4 zones for leveling and 1 for max level
>>
>>383905898
I always see levelling as filler content, it's a good way to learn your class but most mmos are so easy nowdays that it doesn't matter
>>
>>383901427
dont you mean
>queue up for anything
>thats about it
>>
>>383903579
pvp was pretty fun initially, but was ridiculously unbalanced. i put like 100 hours into pvp and still did not know what the fuck was going on sometimes.

Games PvE content was pretty fucking god tier, if the community didnt die so fast I might have kept playing.
>>
>as wildstar dies, so does it's housing system
>and draken girls

Life isn't fair.
>>
I thought the game took me for an idiot since lvl1.
Core gameplay was nice but every voicelines, writings and anything in between just made me want to puke.
I ragequit the game at around lvl 14 when you get your first taxi ride in the city.
>>
>>383901491
How insightful!
>what went wrong
>it failed
>>
>>383899219
Hardcore game with disney/nintendo/kiddy theme.

It appeals to no one
>>
>>383907380
It was really had how so many people said they wouldn't play it because it looked like a cartoon. It's literally that one kid saying they play halo instead of pokemon because it's for babies.
>>
>>383899219
Once they started to pander to SJWs you know everything will go down hill.
>>
OPTIMIZATION

The gameplay was excellent, but pretty much no one could run this game without perfomance issues
>>
File: Lenka_Pajitnov.151030.174341.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lenka_Pajitnov.151030.174341.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>383906989
>Not liking the taxi and his bad jokes
Faggot.
>>383907585
yeah bro, just look at all this social justice.
>>
>>383907825
>he doesn't remember boobgate
>>
I tried playing it for a while a few years ago. Forget what class I was. Had some kind of machine pet I think. It was fun but man the lag killed it for me. I would go back if they got that shit fixed
>>
File: 1391078528819.jpg (295KB, 1377x844px) Image search: [Google]
1391078528819.jpg
295KB, 1377x844px
>>383907992
>muh boobgate
You know what came out of that? We got bigger boobs. You'd know this if you actually gave a shit and didn't just chase outrage.
>>
>>383899219
>NC$oft shut down CoH for this trainwreck
>>
>>383908350
Don't worry, as a wildstar player I can tell you, you won in the end. At least your game got several updates and an expansion.
>>
>>383908512
I sure don't feel like a winner right now
>>
I worked on this piece of shit and even while working on it, I knew it was going to bomb. I was hoping it would do well enough to make it to the launch of BnS but fucking Zinser laid everyone off. People that had been with the company for over 10 years were let go. Fuck this game.
>>
File: 20160513061010a0eemynhgty56fta.jpg (46KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
20160513061010a0eemynhgty56fta.jpg
46KB, 640x423px
>>383908701
Neither do I.

>>383908756
>I worked on this piece of shit
Why was timetravel fired?
>>
>>383905898
guild wars 1 effectively did this. hitting 20 (max) was near the end of the tutorial in factions/nightfall

and it was the greatest mmo of all time
>>
>>383908908
>wildstar has been doing so poorly that NCSoft now lists its earnings in the "other" section
>shuts down Auto Assault, Dungeon Runners, Exteel, Tabula Rasa, Trickster, City of Heroes and more
>STILL refuses to give up on a game that's been doing far, far worse than most of the games listed above when those were shut down
I still don't understand what goes through the minds of korean companies.
>>
>>383909436
It was probably in their contract to "support" the game for so many years. Carbine is a skeleton crew who can't manage any significant updates anymore.
>>
>>383909436
>>383909752
And also a wildstar character is in their new moba so that might have something to do with it.
>>
>>383908756
anyone who worked on wildstar has a STAY FUCKING CLEAR OF mark on their back now
failure
>>
>>383910038
If I were an mmo dev I would hire any of the team that worked on group content. Actually, that's what blizzard did.
>hear about emerald dragons boss fight from legion
>it's literally phagetech prototypes from genetic archives
>>
>>383904683
the problem is that leveling content is usually fucking boring

MMO devs need to learn to respect people's time. If the first 10 hours of your MMO is boring tutorial tier shit we've all done a hundred times before you should probably not release your MMO.

Rift and GW2 had fairly fun leveling processes. Rift had invasions, GW2 had dynamic quests. That stuff was fun. Wildstar had nothing, it was like the same shit I did in Aion and Tera.
>>
>>383910423
>GW2 had dynamic quests
Don't try to act like they weren't just the same old kill x/fetch y quests we've been doing for years
>>
>>383910619
the presentation was way better than your average quest chain and a couple of them required you to work with other players
>>
>>383899219
PvP sucked. No way to tell which red telegraph was lethal or if you could stand in it.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.