[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it September yet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: SQ_3DS_MetroidSamusReturns.jpg (609KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SQ_3DS_MetroidSamusReturns.jpg
609KB, 1000x1000px
is it September yet
>>
>>383895898
Soon!
>>
File: 1499961508524.jpg (45KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1499961508524.jpg
45KB, 808x805px
>>383895898
>missed the eu legacy edition
>missed the snes classic
>>
I invite everyone awaiting Samus Returns to try out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate. There's a free demo on the eshop. It's by the same devs, you see. Better you know now.
>>
>>383896384
Nintendo are developing Samus Returns. Mercury Steam are code monkeys.
>>
>>383896509
Yeah, no, have you seen the gameplay for Samus Returns? It has Mirror of Fate written all over it.
>>
File: 1494363178112.gif (84KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
1494363178112.gif
84KB, 403x392px
>>383896247
same
>>
>>383896702
How so?
>>
File: 1499957487231.png (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499957487231.png
50KB, 400x400px
>>383896818
>have to buy both for +500 muslim dollar
>>
>tfw trying to do a 23% run of Metroid Prime
>>
>>383896819
Well the whole ayyon ability for starters along with the extra(neous) abilities. Mirror of Fate is very "packed with stuff" in the bad sense. Like there's too much stuff going on, too many things competing with each other for your the player's attention, but in a way that they don't really gel or cement themselves as unique or worthwhile additions. I get these vibes from SR. Like the scanning pulse-- why? Really. Somebody had the brilliant notion "bombing everything is a drag. how do we fix this?" and their solution was not to create Actually Puzzles or Interesting Secrets but to make the visor from Super have a cool-down. Ah, perfect! Now instead of bombing everything, the player has to scan pulse everything. Great.
Next, the emphasis on cinematic stuff-- parry enemies and the camera zooms in, do a melee thing and watch a micro cutscene where the camera whip around. Get a power up, sit through a slightly-too-long cutscene. Scripted is not what I want from Metroid, at least not like this.
What else. I don't like the idea of 360 aim like this. I think a lot of encounters are going to be designed around limited movement. Combined with how cramped the screen is since Samus is huge in this game (as a baseline-- I know the camera sometimes pans out but that doesn't happen as often as it should) and I think platforming will be on the backburner.
The animation seems pretty sketchy as well. Looking at those wimpy space jumps, how Samus lands, the way she instantly jaunts into a sprinter's form when running. It's almost like the GBA games in terms of weightless animation but in a bloomy 2.5D game it just doesn't look good. Mirrors of Fate had some pretty slidey and fumbly animation.

Seriously, go try out the Mirror of Fate demo. You have to know what I mean here. The premonition.
>>
>>383898147
>Scan Pulse
The scan pulse is comparable to the X Ray Scope. And as mentioned, it's not something that you can just spam over and over. Also, it's 100% optional.

>360 aim
What does this have to do with MoF? And besides, you can still do 45 degree angles without needing to stop.

>Cinematic stuff
Well, the parrying again is completely optional and is there to change up the gameplay a little bit if you want it to. Also, all Metroid games have had cinematic moments besides the NES and GB ones.

>how Samus lands, the way she instantly jaunts into a sprinter's form when running.
So, a Metroid game? Because it seems like they have absolutely nailed the fast movement, agility and fluidity that a Metroid game should have, and the hands on previews confirm this too. You sound like you're too used to the Prime games.
>>
File: 1497908050723.gif (94KB, 514x510px) Image search: [Google]
1497908050723.gif
94KB, 514x510px
>had just started a playthrough of Super Metroid
>woke up this morning and I can't find my 3DS any where
>pretty sure it's in my friend's bag, who is now in another state
Well, guess I'll play AM2R first afterall.
>>
>>383897128
My dick feels guilty but erect nonetheless.
>>
>>383898147
Complaining about 360° aiming and meelee is so dumb.
You'd probably have complained about 8 direction shooting, ledge grabbing and crouch shooting as well.
>>
>>383898889
>The scan pulse is comparable to the X Ray Scope.
ffs I mention the thing from Super, what I called a visor, in the same paragraph. The item is not good in that game either. It's slow. You get it too late. It's a shitty version of the power bomb.
>it's not something that you can just spam over and over.
Is this supposed to be a good thing? Great, instead of spamming it over and over, I have to wait around some more. In the mean while, I'll just bomb everything. Cool guys. You didn't fix a damn thing.
>And besides, you can still do 45 degree angles without needing to stop.
I know. But the 360 aim is there. It's going to be taken into consideration when designing fights. If you've noticed how slow the Metroids are, you might start to get a sense of what I mean.

>Well, the parrying again is completely optional
>and is there to change up the gameplay a little bit if you want it to
Do you hear yourself? "It's optional" stances. never work out, you should know this. Why? Because the game is designed with parrying in mind. If you parry, you're doing dull little animations. If you're not parrying, you're playing a duller version since you have less options. Both are bad. Parrying is Samus Returns. Samus Returns is Parrying. The two are inter-twined. Maybe parrying might be good, I doubt it, but either way you can't just briskly ignore it with your tongue out. Pressing start at the title screen is optional.
>>
>>383898147
I'm honestly more worried about how Nintendo is going to go out of their way to casualize it to the point of missing the point of why things were the way they were in Metroid II. Every metroid having a phase of dropping blue shit you can shoot for drops raises a red flag for me, and I think I saw in the trailer that the doors lock when you fight them too, which would make for very tedious encounters. I don't think the melee counter is going to be that bad, but the 360 aim would greatly benefit with an 'aim lock' button that lets Samus keep pointing in one direction while being able to run.
I think the Aeon Abilities have a ton of potential, we've only seen the Scan Pulse, but if they reused older abilities like the Speed Booster or Screw Attack as abilities that require the meter it could create interesting situations and puzzles.
I'm honestly not too worried on animations, as they look unfinished and will probably be polished up on the final release.
>>
>>383898889
>Also, all Metroid games have had cinematic moments besides the NES and GB ones.
I was not aware that "cinematic" was a "just one drop" situation. I guess Tomb Raider (2013) and Tomb Raider (1996) are practically the same thing with the same amount of interaction vs non-interaction since they both have scripted parts in them. /s There is a good way to do cinematic. Cutscenes when you enter rooms and meet a new Metroid aren't what I would call good. If I'm in a room with a brand new evil monster, I'm not going to be stoic and Whoaa look at the monster Whooa wait for the cutscene, I'm going to panic and flip the fuck out. That's tension. Just snap right there and fight or flight, live or die. Or, if the game wants a stoic faceoff then do something entirely with gameplay like the Crocomire fight in Super Metroid. Now that's cinematic done well. Making something cinematic (feel like a film) does not nessessitate constant cutscenes. Time will only tell if SR is bad about it. Mirror of Fate is bad about it.

>So, a Metroid game? Because it seems like they have absolutely nailed the fast movement, agility and fluidity that a Metroid game should have, and the hands on previews confirm this too. You sound like you're too used to the Prime games.
I'm going to fly off the handle here and express myself in hateful capslocks: ANIMATION IS ENTIRELY VISUAL. YOU CAN HAVE THE SAME EXACT MOVEMENT PROPERTIES WITH DIFFERENT ANIMATIONS. GOOD ANIMATIONS.
God damn. Every Bloodstained thread, "Wow, it really looks bad the way the character has no animation when landing from a fall."
"Oh, so you want it to be a loud, heavy, slow, crunchy, time-consuming fall damage drama?"
fucking no idiot I just want the game to look like the artists gave half a shit. So much of a game feeling good is the art and sound. You do not have to change any properties of Samus' movement to make her feel better.
>>
>>383900226
So basically you are crying because the games offers a bunch more OPTIONS. Things that you can NOT use if you don't want to.

>I DON'T LIKE THE SCAN PULSE
Don't use it

>I DON'T LIKE PARRYING
Don't do it

>I DON'T LIKE THE 360 AIM
Don't use it
>>
>>383895898
sure is champ
>>
>>383900449
Could you please read my entire posts and listen to my arguments before replying? Let me quote the relevant section for you:
>Because the game is designed with parrying in mind. If you parry, you're doing dull little animations. If you're not parrying, you're playing a duller version since you have less options. Both are bad.
Do you understand? If I don't use these mechanics, the game is still designed around their inclusion, so I'm playing A Game With Parrying and 360 Aim. If I don't use it, it'll be pretty weird and feel half-baked. If I do use it, it'll be bad.

Just a reminder that the game is not out yet and these are all conclusions from watching gameplay. I am not a time traveler, obviously.
>>
>>383900324
Hey man, I like Metroid and I can tell you know a lot about good game design, but this is literally just them making a low budget 2D platformer just to get their toes in the water. This really isn't something we should put high expectations on, and we are confirmed to have a brand new console release on a main system within the next couple of years. I personally see it as another attempt to make an Other M style game without any of that game's shortcomings, and they're clearly trying to make a game that's not a clone so if it is good, it can stand on its own.
>>383900449
>Don't use it
I see the complaint all the time in all kinds of games these days. Whether or not you use it, the game is going to be designed for people to take advantage of it no matter how shitty the game mechanic is. Melee is probably going to be required to make at least one enemy vulernable in this game, and scan pulse might be required for 100%. Like I mentioned earlier, they're trying to make a Metroid that stands out on its own, otherwise it'd literally be a case of 'why not just play Zero Mission/Super for the same kind of experience?'.
>>
>>383900968
I want them to try new things I just want those new things to also be good things lol. I just want people's expectations to be lower so I point out what I see wrong. Metroid fans here are very desperate. They need this game to be good so they ignore the valid points. Oh well.
Now for some reason I am currently downloading the full version of Mirror of Fate, so call me a masochist. Man I haven't even touched Rondo. I feel dirty.
>>
>>383901482
you can't say they are bad things until you've played the game. i think the melee combat and 360degree aiming looks awesome and fully welcome them in future games.
>>
>>383901639
Well, why do you think melee and 360 aiming, the way they are presented in the gameplay shown, look awesome?
>>
>>383901639
I think warping is a great idea, but Metroid II is the worst game to impliment this in unless they change the caves of SR388 to be a lot more sprawling. Melee is a cool idea, especially if there are upgrades for it (there really should be), but it shouldn't slow the game down as much as its shown.
>>
Fuck off with these blatant shill threads. You're not viraling the game, you're just making anons not want to buy it out of spite.
>>
>>383902016
>being excited about a game is automatically shilling

you must be a hit at parties.
>>
>>383901775
360 degree aiming offers more precise controls, and is a big deal when dealing with Metroid fights, especially with how each Metroid stage is designed. if you have played Metroid 2, you'd know that their weak points are pretty well hidden and are in awkward spots. aiming up or at a 45 degree angle wouldn't fix this, so a 360 aim mechanic is very beneficial. as well as this, it opens up opportunities for other cool enemy/boss encounters.

melee combat is all about variety, and it looks like it will feel badass to pull of a perfectly timed counter attack. based on the footage, it looks like the window is quite small, so doing is successfully will feel good. plus, it just looks cool.
>>
I would not be surprised if Samus Returns was a practice run game for Mercurysteam, like how Metroid Fusion was a practice run for the Wario Land team back in 2002.
>>
>>383902269
Alright. So in the other 2D games, there's little platforming puzzle of "How do I get in firing range of this enemy?" since you only have 8 directions + jumping + crouching. With 360 aim, you can always hit any enemy from where you stand. So platforming will be de-emphasized. You won't frequently be challenged with "How do I move my character into position" while dodging attacks, but dodging attacks while change your positioning, possibly preventing you from lining up a shot. So you have to considering your 8 directions of fire when dodging attacks to maintain your assault. But with 360 aim you'll just have to dodge, aim, shoot. You can't do both at once. So that's why I think 360 aim will be a bad choice. Now if you could move while shooting it might be a different story.
>>
>>383903972
I don't know, the inclusion of 360 aiming seems pretty natural to me
>classic 8 directions aiming while having full control of Samus
Or
>360 aiming for precision BUT you are locked in place
It's basic risk and reward game design, it's like Other M's first person shooting but done right
>>
>>383896247
wait, the legacy edition is already sold out? i tought it had just leak but the preorders hadn't start yet
>>
>>383895898
>can't get people to buy our shitty console so we're beating a dead horse we killed with other m
>>
>>383904753
Some stores haven't opened preorders yet, but those who have have seen their stock emptied in a few minutes.
>>
>>383902408
WL4 came out first, though.
>>
>>383899038
If you have a decent gaming PC, Citra looks promising.
>>
>>383903972
>With 360 aim, you can always hit any enemy from where you stand

That's not the case with Metroid 2. Again, go play it for yourself and you'll see how the Metroids are designed. It's not a case of just jumping and shooting at it.
>>
>>383896247

> tfw 3 SNES and 2 Legacy Edition on preorder.

My dick is diamonds
>>
>>383905783
I mean that's assuming line of site and not accounting for impervious armor
>>
>>383905721
Yeah but I already had about an hour and a half put into it. Don't have a gaming PC anyway.
>>
>>383905325
well damn, which are the stores that haven't started the preorders yet?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.