[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oculus thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: oculus bundle.jpg (23KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
oculus bundle.jpg
23KB, 385x385px
Did any of you guys buy into VR because of the price cuts and sales? Includes the headset, sensors, Xbox controller, Oculus Touch controllers and 7 games so it's not that bad of a deal. Pirated GORN, Arizona Sunshine, Superhot VR and Raw Data and I'm gonna buy Onward (Insurgency VR), BREACH IT (Rainbow Six VR) and Pavlov (Counter Strike VR) and I have a handful of games that already work with it (Project Cars/Elite Dangerous/Subnautica)

I got mine for $399 with a free $100 Amazon Gift Card. As much as I hate their business practices, I can't justify paying $799 versus essentially $299 for VR.
>>
You're retarded.
>>
>>383894846
Why?
>>
>>383893632
>I got mine for $399 with a free $100 Amazon Gift Card.
No, you didn't. That 'deal' was $500. You're just repeating shit you've read.

$400 is probably what Rift is worth compared to $700 Vive. However they waited too long to get there, with the second generation imminent it's advisable to just wait. Second gen will be so improved first gen will be immediately totally obsolete (wireless, 4k per eye, fit-and-forget ergonomics, probably cheaper). They will probably just immediately discontinue the old units - probably WHY they're slashing prices now (clearance).
>>
>>383895647
4K per eye and wireless sounds far fetched so soon. Was tough as it is getting 2160x1200 working with minimal loss and delay.

Similar specs with a small bump in display resolution sounds more reasonable though it seems both oculus and Vive are moving towards all in one solutions.
So don't be disappointed if next gen VR is slightly better than current gen but standalone with weaker computation power than what current desktops have to offer.
>>
File: oculus rift gift card.png (1MB, 1456x805px) Image search: [Google]
oculus rift gift card.png
1MB, 1456x805px
>>383895647
>was $500. You're just repeating shit you've read.

>inb4 photoshop accusations
>>
File: oculus bundle receipt.png (158KB, 1194x1107px) Image search: [Google]
oculus bundle receipt.png
158KB, 1194x1107px
>>383896441
The price was $399 for a short period of time. Like 10 minutes total. I paid $422 after sales tax and I got the Amazon Gift Card right next to me, it was a physical gift card item.
>>
File: 1493253792362.gif (972KB, 420x296px) Image search: [Google]
1493253792362.gif
972KB, 420x296px
>>383896441
>$399 and you get a $100 gift card, effectively turning it into $299
>yuros have to pay 450€ +tip ($510 give or take)
THANKS ZUCKERFAG
>>
File: 1495688147012.jpg (94KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
1495688147012.jpg
94KB, 480x359px
>>383893632
Bought into it, not sure how mlong it takes before it reaches The Netherlands though.

Planning on playing Subnautica, Superhot and Dead and buried.
>>
>>383896737
Jesus that sucks. Especially considering you'll be spending an extra €100 on the third sensor for proper roomscale

What the fuck, an extra €100? The sensor is $59.99 here
>>
>>383896917
sensor is 59.99€, so around $68
>>
>>383897018
Oh okay that's reasonable. We're approaching Vive pricing in the US at this point though.
>>
>>383895647
Yeah, no senpai. Amazon had the deal with a 100 dollar gift card. I also got it. 299 is the right price for VR
>>
>>383897193
vive is 899€ so around $1030
thanks, video games
>>
>>383897247
$299 is a fucking steal when you account for the games (including the GOAT) and the Xbox controller

https://youtu.be/7lDkTiwpb8I?t=241

I can't believe I'll have this sitting in my house. Back in the 90s I thought this would be the thing you'd go to a VR centre for or something
>>
>>383893632
Where does it say u get an Xbox controller with it?
>>
File: SteamVR-Tracking-2.jpg (135KB, 1446x1105px) Image search: [Google]
SteamVR-Tracking-2.jpg
135KB, 1446x1105px
>>383896434
they chose the gen 1 resolution based on what contemporary GPUs could power HIGH-FIDELITY 3D for (a little more than 4K over all), and no other factor. they quickly learned that was a mistake, which they won't repeat, because of how much VR content is relatively low-fidelity.

wireless is totally solved. again, they made a huge mis-estimation that it would take something completely novel to get working (eg lifi or laser transmission), when actually simple high-frequency wifi is more than capable. there are multiple different 8K@120FPS@<5ms latency offerings available right now. Valve has quietly confirmed that they consider wireless a 'second gen' capability - and they're nearing release of their second-gen base stations and controllers (which will NEED a new HMD, because they're not backwards compatible).

the biggest thing about gen 2 is that it's going to be bother incomparably superior, and probably significantly cheaper. that doesn't happen very often in tech.
>>
File: xbone_games.jpg (246KB, 640x796px) Image search: [Google]
xbone_games.jpg
246KB, 640x796px
Oculus bros, we're getting a free multiplayer game

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54693/lone-echo-and-echo-arena-pricing-and-app-information/

I guess it's inspired by Ender's Game but idk what that is
https://youtu.be/5xPRIocr8ts

If you're a Vive user, download the Oculus Store and get it for free and just play through ReVive
>>
>>383897761
It's three separate SKUs on Amazon

"We include an official Xbox One controller with Rift. It's one of the best controllers in the world, and it's perfect for a wide range of games and experiences"

The headset itself includes it. Everyone that has gotten theirs through Best Buy/Amazon have gotten Xbox controllers so I'd imagine it's a universal thing.
>>
>>383897519
It's been quite a while since i've first used a DK1.

It does feel almost as real as real life, right? The CV1 i mean.
>>
>>383897794
that would be great.
>>
>>383893632
I bought mine at the Microsoft Store for this price. Having played a few games on my friends Vive I can say that a two sensor Rift setup is very very similar to a Vive setup, and that's considering my non-optimal arrangement. When I'm close to the boundaries of my play area I can start to get dropped tracking on the controllers but this is a pretty rare occurrence that I'm pretty confident it will be eliminated by a third sensor (arriving today) and properly wall mounting all three sensors. I also like the touch controllers better than the Vive wands. The grip is more natural imo. Also, I've heard people have had problems with the trackpads on the Vive wands sticking after a while and one of those controllers is more expensive than a pair of Rift touch controllers. If you're on the fence and afraid you're missing out by getting this over the Vive, you're really not. The display resolution and refresh rates are the same, they can play all of the same games although the Vive requires a workaround to play Oculus exclusives.
>>
>>383897976
The difference between a DK1 and a Vive is outstanding and I'm told the differences between the Vive and the Oculus CV1 are in tracking and a slightly smaller FOV (which helps with screen door effect so I'm happy with that)

I wouldn't say it's that groundbreaking yet, we're still tethered and we're still pretty low res. I only got it because I have the money to spare. I have everything I want and I already had a PC with a $700 GPU in it.

Don't get first gen VR unless you literally have nothing else to spend it on or you're really into being an early adopter.
>>
>>383897812
space blitzball
>>
>>383898228
Eh, it's not as if i'm running a OUTSTANDING gpu right now. I'm running a RX 470 with a Ryzen 1600x CPU. Should be fine for now, remembering back at the first time i've ever put on a DK1 i was pretty much shocked, everything was so real and accurate ( if you ignore the obvious amount of pixels you could count. )
>>
>>383893632
Just finished playing some job simulator. What are some must haves for it?
>>
>>383898824
Touch Controllers will blow you away and a 470 is adequate. I just have the 1080ti because I'm pushing 3440x1440 21:9
>>
>>383898907
Audioshield, Onward and Pavlov are pretty great on Vive. Don't know shit about Oculus store games. I pirated a bunch of Oculus exclusives so I'll make this thread again in two weeks once I've played them.
>>
>>383898986
A few years back i've heard it was incredibly heavy to run VR. Looking at the specs now it's just slightly higher than the standard 1080p resolution.

I take the game resolution is rendered from the oculus and it basically displays that image on your monitor?
>>
>>383899163
Pretty much. You get a windowed mode that has a VR black overlay. Also older generation cards rendered per screen so it was rendering twice. They fixed that with the 1000 series. Pretty sure AMD addressed it too.
>>
>>383899118
I only really buy from Steam. Vive doesn't seem to have any exclusives.
>>
>>383899321
Sweet!

On a side note, have you tried G2A land? Seems like a fun VR demo.
>>
>>383899446
They have a few worthwhile ones but they're more AAA cinematic experiences like Lost Echo. The Climb is cool though.
>>
>>383899459
Oh shit I forgot that existed. I'll pirate it. Taste of their own medicine since devs have said it's better to pirate than use G2A
>>
>>383899601
Those are both on the oculus store too though.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.