[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3D graphics ruined video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

Fact: Before the 5th generation, bugs in video games were basically unheard of. Most NES, SNES and Genesis titles are 99% bug free.

Today, games are buggier than ever. The more advanced and graphically impressive a game is, the more likely it is to have bugs. No matter how much money studios pour into the newes AAA game, it's still broken on release.

Since gameplay is the most important aspect of a video game, should we stop pursuing 3D graphics and go back to 16-bit games?
>>
>>383880450
More complicated system are more prone to errors and need more refinment. Some 3D games work perfectly fine, most actually. It's just the open world turds that don't, because the devs are incompetent and known shippable, which is a problem of the system, not 3D engines specifically
>Most NES, SNES and Genesis titles are 99% bug free.
You can just say that you weren't alive in that era, it'll be shorter
>>
File: 1499515040085m.jpg (32KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1499515040085m.jpg
32KB, 1024x569px
>>383880450
>Fact: Before the 5th generation, bugs in video games were basically unheard of. Most NES, SNES and Genesis titles are 99% bug free.
>People will fail for this bullshit
>>
File: 1468512383137.gif (1MB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468512383137.gif
1MB, 245x200px
>>383880450
>most snes, snes and genesis title are 99% bug free
>>
>>383880678
>You can just say that you weren't alive in that era, it'll be shorter
I'm not saying they were all bug free. But most of the true classics were.

Almost no first-party Nintendo games had bugs back then.
>>
>>383880450
Dumb fucking retard.
>>
>>383880793
>I'm not saying they were all bug free.
Yes you were

You're just a delusional mongoloid turd
>>
>>383880450
>I have literally never watched a speedrun
>>
File: spurdo_american.png (222KB, 566x624px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_american.png
222KB, 566x624px
>>383880954
>99% is now 100%
Woooow. How does it feel to be homeschooled?
>>
>>383881110
Most speedruns exploit things like system flaws and old cartridges. If you'd played the classics back when they first came out in the 80s and 90s, you'd remember that they were bug-free then.
>>
>>383880450
>Most NES, SNES and Genesis titles are 99% bug free
Nigga, have you never played an old videogame? I'd say game breaking bugs were less, but bugs have always been part of gaming.

If you brought up specific moments when going to shinier graphics wrecked a game, that would make sense. Like, did you know Doom 3 is slow as fuck on purpose, so you don't miss how graphically impressive the environment and lighting was? How fucked is that?
>>
>>383881245
>Most speedruns exploit things like system flaws and old cartridges.
Oh god it's retarded
>>
>>383880450
>Most NES, SNES, and Genesis titles are 99% bug free
Someone has obviously never played Street Fighter II.

>Combos in general
>Handcuffs
>Glitches that crash the entire game
>Random teleport glitches
>Getting stuck in the air

The only 3D fighter I've ever seen with that many glitches was Street Fighter X Tekken. Even Marvel 3 had less glitches, and that's saying a lot.
>>
>>383880450
patches are the problem
why hire people to look for bugs when you can release a buggy game and get bug reports
>>
>>383880450
The real problem is normies. They want that cinematic experience eye candy. They're the ones driving the market.
Remove them from the market, and games go back to actually decent quality and being basically bug free.
>>
>>383881316
Are you denying that video games age over the years? What makes you think anything would be exactly the same after 30 years?

>>383882180
You can have this one.
>>
Most bugs aren't a big deal. Sometimes they even improve gameplay. No idea why anyone would be concerned with them to the point of considering dropping a whole dimension, besides muh perfect balance autism I guess.
>>
File: QIUDB3F.jpg (59KB, 490x397px) Image search: [Google]
QIUDB3F.jpg
59KB, 490x397px
>>383880450
Fact, before the 5th generation video games where shittty overprices garbage you could finish in an afternoon, now games are complex and long lasting so of course some bugs are gonna fit in.

Faggot
>>
>>383882395
I have to ask. Are you mentally challenged?
>>
A "99%" bug free environment still insinuates that you could be encountering a bug for every two hours of gameplay. That's more than I experiences with, say, Resident Evil 7. Also

>Any% speedrunning
>>
>>383880450
Bait

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Final_Fantasy_VI_bugs
>>
File: 1495998410160.jpg (121KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1495998410160.jpg
121KB, 601x601px
>>383880793
Let's look at SMB. It has the minus level bug, the infinite lives bug, flagpole skip bug, a few castle levels you can get stuck in, small fire Mario bug, objects can clip from the bottom of the screen to the top, the spiny behavior is bugged from the intended behavior, and that's just off the top of my head.
Not only is it a NES game it's also the most iconic Nintendo game, and yet it's nowhere near bug free.
>>
>>383886091
All signs of the game aging. Do you know anyone who experienced these bugs 30 years ago?
>>
>>383886142
Yes. Jumping over the flagpole was first a myth and then several people did it. I know I did it myself as a kid.
Stop being dumb and just admit that games have always had bugs and will always have bugs.
>>
File: star_consider.png (123KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
star_consider.png
123KB, 600x600px
>>383886245
>Yes. Jumping over the flagpole was first a myth and then several people did it. I know I did it myself as a kid.
It's entirely possible you had a bad cartridge. That happens from time to time. If everyone experienced that bug, SMB would not be remembered as fondly as it is.
>>
>>383886342
Dude. Just stop.
There is no such thing. Jumping over the flagpole is in every single cartridge of SMB. From day 1. It's a game design problem, which they even addressed in SMB2 JP since there is a warp pipe if you jump over the flagpole.
Stop being dumb, please.
>>
>>383886142

Are you saying these bugs were never experienced? Because minus level was found pretty really on. Flagpole skips amd infinite lives were found very quickly after release and was something kids talked about like >>383886245 said.
>>
>>383886518
>It's a game design problem
Well, that settles it then. A design flaw is not a bug.

>>383886534
>Are you saying these bugs were never experienced?
Some bugs were. Most were not. As the years go by, cartridges go bad, bits start to flip, and the prevalence of emulators adds emulation flaws to the mix.

Most of what we today consider bugs in retro games did not exist in the 90s.
>>
>>383886650
>a game design problem is not a bug
If they forget to put an invisible wall and you go past intended play area, is that not a bug/glitch?
>>
>Falling for a retarded kid "pretending" to be retarded.

I bet you are european.
>>
>>383886650
Let's say I'll grant you that and let's hear you explain the sliding through solid blocks bug then.
You can't use bad cartridge as an excuse, you have to explain why that is not a bug.
>>
>>383880450
>Before the 5th generation, bugs in video games were basically unheard of. Most NES, SNES and Genesis titles are 99% bug free.
Yeah, that's bait.
>>
>99% were bug free
i dont disagree with 3d ruining vidya but thats bullshit and you know it
>>
Just delete the thread you stupid mods you don't save threads like these. All the time you spend deleting individual posts and images that make up 90% of a thread could be spent cleaning up even more garbage off /v/.
>>
>>383888947
Why should on-topic posters be punished for the actions of others?
>>
>>383880450
You can watch any speed run of an old game and see that they're all buggy as fuck also
>>
>>383880793
>I'm not saying they were all bug free. But most of the true classics were

Fucker, that's not even true of "true classics" like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, or Earthbound. Name a "true classic" and I guarantee that even if I can't name a few different bugs off the top of my fucking head, I'll be able to look up graphical issues if not game-breaking bugs.

ALttP has several known glitches, including some that make the game impossible to beat.
>>
>>383888987
With as retarded a statement OP made while posting Gwen he was never intending for this to be about on-topic discussion. Or why else would the mod also delete OP's image?
>>
>>383889034
>speed run
Retro consoles are slow. If you're going faster than about 2 MHz, of course you'll run into bugs.

It's like asking you to solve a math problem in two seconds. You're likely to make mistakes, right?
>>
>>383889070
Who cares about the OP's intention when we've got ~40 posts that are genuinely about video games?
>>
>militant retro pixelshit hipsters
Interdasting
>>
Janitors actually deleted posts instead of the thread.

Well played.
>>
>>383889183
>liking older games is hipster now
If anything, modern games are hipster. They're what's hip with most people.
>>
>>383889132
And only right now are there more posts than deleted posts. Again, better to not waste time and simply can the off-topic thread in order to spend time on the rest of the board looking to clean up. Mods only do this when they're invested in a thread and not doing their job anyway.
>>
>>383889204
Moderation around here sure is strange.
>>
This whole discussion actually proves my point. If even a thread on an imageboard can lose posts over time, why can't an NES games lose its stability over the years?

Everything changes. Nothing stays the same. Basic laws of entropy.
>>
>>383889204
/v/ is clearly planning on starting a war with /co/ based on this strong stance against gwen. Good to see the janitors are on top of everything tonight though.
>>
>>383889567
Entropy didn't create the Relm Sketching Gau Glitch in FFVI or fuck up the Evasion stat.
>>
>>383889706
Prove it. Go back in time and prove those glitches originally existed.

Wait, you can't. What a shame.
>>
>>383889913
What an odd thing to demand
>>
>>383889913
Prove those glitches are the result of bitrot and/or faulty emulation.

Wait, you can't.
>>
>>383890703
>bitrot
The fuck does this even mean?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.