[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPG Levels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: akiman dq4 hero.jpg (156KB, 838x1200px) Image search: [Google]
akiman dq4 hero.jpg
156KB, 838x1200px
What are some RPGs with good approaches to leveling up? It feels like in a lot of series, or at least mainstream ones like Pokemon or Dragon Quest, the level system loses a lot of challenge and depth after the 50s or so. Are there any RPGs that utilize the full range of levels more thoroughly or do it differently?
>>
>>383861651
SMT and Persona have a good knack of bringing you up to at least level 80 before the final boss.

Also I've never played any of the Star Ocean games besides 2, but in SO2 the level cap was 999. I ended up finishing the game with my party average around 120.
>>
Not an RPG nor does it have levels, but An Untitled Story does difficulty scaling really fuckin' proper. Starts off like a babby game, slowly adds abilities and bosses while ramping up the difficulty, and ends with an impossible boss.
>>
>>383861651
Final Fantasy II
>>
>>383861651
Try Final Fantasy 2
>>
>>383861651
The first Sora no Kiseki trilogy has level caps that get increased from sequel to sequel.
Like you can get up to 49 on the first game, and when you start the second game you're already on the same level you were on the first game and with a higher level cap.
Gives a nice sense of continuity.
>>
Bravely default kinda, end game fights still can fuck you if you dont have a nice job composition even if you are 99
>>
>>383861651
JRPG games are usually easy. If you want more challenge you are going to have to play older CRPG or WRPG games. Fallout 1 and 2 I found pretty hard. You have to actually manage resources to so it even has elements of survival horror. Even the music was spooky to.

I would probably have to say the Souls games have the most sensible leveling up system there is even if it is simplistic. It is that simplicity though that gives it depth thanks to the gear. It is sensible because you more a less know what you will be doing. No skills or perks to throw you off. Just stats.
>>
>>383863362
Bravely Default just made levels irrelevant to actually progressing through the game, which isn't an improvement on the existing model
>>
>>383861651
I like how Dark Souls does it, particularly DKS2's stat / level system.

You get stronger gradually while you work towards unlocks that are game changers. It makes it so that lhere are lots of viable builds and that even overleveled characters can find themselves in trouble if they are played poorly.

>>383861827
SMT is a much better example in my opinion, Persona is quite easier in that once you do a dungeon / palace, you usually end up at a level where 99% of the enemies are a fucking joke.

That happens with practically every RPG, but in SMT it happens much less and almost never mid-dungeon.

>>383862254
>>383862254
>FF II
>Not FF V
Are you even trying?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.