[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the last truly great real-time strategy game? How do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Is this the last truly great real-time strategy game? How do you feel about the attempted RTS resurgence from the past few years?
>>
>Is this the last truly great real-time strategy game?

No. PA is a 100 times better.

>How do you feel about the attempted RTS resurgence from the past few years?

It's either C&C fanboys making a shitty clone of an outdated and flawed game or SC2 shitter trying to make the next E sport. Both are unoriginal and end up failing due to it
>>
>>383855365
Is PA that much better? I haven't played it but I remember people being disappointed in it.
>>
File: coh2playtime.png (62KB, 303x133px) Image search: [Google]
coh2playtime.png
62KB, 303x133px
>>383854914
I thought CoH2 was really fun. Its a shame relic dropped the ball with DoW3 because I dont see how they can really go anywhere with the company of heroes franchise.
>>
>>383854914
>How do you feel about the attempted RTS resurgence from the past few years?
Not gonna go anywhere if nobody tries to address the fundamental issues with RTS.
>>
>>383857358
>I dont see how they can really go anywhere with the company of heroes franchise.
The Pacific and Italian fronts could use some love from that series.
>>
>>383857535
I was kind of excited with the commanders being able to call in special units- expected to see some Italian or Hungarian infantry, but alas. They could introduce an Pacific front, but it dosent realy leave room for expansion- its already thematically awkward enough having soviets fight alongside other allied forces. Also Italy surrendered far too quickly to center a faction around it.
>>
>>383857474
which are what exactly?
>>
>>383858071
Multiplayer where the actions of the players have nearly no impact on each other and it might as well be a bunch of people playing by themselves. RTS is just too shallow at the fundamental level.
>>
>>383858702
Are you talking about the early base building sections? That's why games like World in Conflict and Men of War exist.
>>
>>383858702
I think RTSs just need to outgrow the age of empires model of resource generation- and SC2 being a short term successes is probably hurting good game design by sticking to that base. Games that use ;king of the hill' resource generation models like CoH or Wargame are much more interesting.
>>
File: steeldivision.jpg (80KB, 780x353px) Image search: [Google]
steeldivision.jpg
80KB, 780x353px
>Good RTS no longer exist
Sure thing, OP.
>>
>>383858985
There's still the issue of a control bottleneck. Nearly every RTS only allows you to roughly issue orders to one group of units at a time. There's a huge discrepancy between what a human can do through the controls, and what a computer can do with direct access to the game.
>>
>>383859385
How is that game? I watched some youtube videos on it and it seemed relentlessly slow paced and didn't seem to reward decisive victories.
>>
>>383857213

You are remembering correctly, I got memed hard by PA.
>>
>>383859696
You can change the speed from Bullet Time (effectively paused) to Very Fast. I actually tend to play it on Slow since it seems a more realistic pace and gives you more thinking time. It's a good game. Beautiful graphics, although you can't really appreciate them since you're always zoomed out and the dynamic front line system is cool. You do tend to have to micro manage your units though in terms of positioning and their actions. The campaign leaves a lot to be desired as well. American, German and British at 4 missions each, so 12 total. Since I tend to only play RTS offline, then more content would have been appreciated but there is skirmish mode.

I'd say it's definitely worth it at full price but maybe consider waiting for a decent discount in a sale.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.