[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRPG thread? CRPG thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: header(2).jpg (51KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header(2).jpg
51KB, 460x215px
Get in ladies(men) and gentlemen. We are talking about the superior sub genre of the role playing experience.
>>
Age of Decadence is such a bad game. It's a not particularly well written CYOA where you stat-hoard as much as possible.
>>
>>383841234
If you stat hoard then you are playing it like a fucking retard and deserve to have a bad time.
>>
Codexfags need to fuck off
it's not the 90's anymore and all their games are boring trial and error shit
>>
File: 1499650938587m.jpg (91KB, 859x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499650938587m.jpg
91KB, 859x1024px
>>383841643
>Trial and error are a bad thing
You probably praise dark souls, you hypocrite. If not. I bet you're one of those instant gratification type who wants everything on the first try
>>
>>383842707
they are bad if you have leveled your character and can't progress the MQ because your build didn't cater to the developers mind
>>
>>383843038
I can't think of any game where that happens. At worst some builds just have to sweat blood for some sections, like how pure survivor builds are going to suffer A LOT during the first couple of hours of Divine Divinity, or a game all about combat thrashing your party if you completely fuck up with building something sensible. Or something like Wizardry 4, but that just shits on everyone without discriminating.
>>
File: T-51b.gif (180KB, 640x489px) Image search: [Google]
T-51b.gif
180KB, 640x489px
Are Melee builds fun?
>>
I bought Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition during the Steam sale because I really enjoyed it as a kid.

I was surprised to find how...boring it was now. The plot kind of plods along, and the combat isn't particularly challenging. What a weird disappointment.
>>
>>383843038
>wtf why can't i get all the cool dialogue and events with no previous knowledge?
You can beat the game with basically any build unless you're a tard
boo hoo you have to restart your 10 minute trial run
>>
>>383842707
Yea let's not be retarded here nigger. The game in OP is literally built to force you to restart because you didn't stat perfectly. The game ends 1 billion times simply because you didn't have the stats to get a certain dialogue.

I can see why some people might like it but it's not in any way an objectively good game.
>>
>>383843462
The game in OP does exactly what he described. Try going merchant. If you happen to not have a particular stat, that changes as you go on, up to a high enough level, you literally get stopped from progressing and are forced to restart from the begininng.
>>
>le edgy you die in your first mistake or we simply leave you 1 vs 3 in every fight the rpg
>good

fuck Age of Decadence.
>>
File: anxiety-help-chat[1].jpg (51KB, 470x407px) Image search: [Google]
anxiety-help-chat[1].jpg
51KB, 470x407px
Currently replaying Morrowind as I never finished any of the faction questlines or the main quest. I currently have the following CRPGs in my backlog (not sure if all of them are considered CRPG, but whatever)
>Might and Magic VI
>Wizardry 8
>The Age of Decadence
>Baldur's Gate 2
>Divine Divinity (already maybe 10 hours into the game, but I'm not sure if I'm that crazy for the ARPG combat)
>Arcanum
>Arx Fatalis
>Deus Ex (haven't played it in a year, got maybe 3/4 into the game)
>Fallout (haven't played it in three years, think I got 3/4 through the main storyline)
>Fallout 2
>Gothic 2 NOTR
>Nehrim (pretty fun, but haven't played it in half a year)
>The Witcher 2, second playthrough
>The Witcher 3

It's just so fucking daunting, I'll probably never get into any of those and just play Morrowind/M&B/CK2 for the rest of my life instead.
>>
>>383841234
The writing is amazing though. That storyteller in Teron had me captivated. Weak bait got me replyin
>>
>>383845034
>combat isn't particularly challenging.
Combat in Torment is almost optional.
If you want combat in an infinity engine game, play IWD1 or BG2 instead.
>>
>>383845843
>get to 3/4rd of the game
>drop game
Why are you doing this.
WHY AM I DOING THIS.
>>
>>383845998
iirc I played them during holidays, then didn't have the time to play them again after uni started
now I feel like it's so long ago that I'll have to start a new game, which I don't want to.
>>
>>383845340
That's only half-true. Follow the game's recommended stat distribution for merchants and you will never hit a wall. Simply progressing through your guild questline and the main quest gives you enough skill points that is sufficient to never fall behind the curve.

However saying that you can't finish the main quest is completely untrue, as the main quest doesn't require any particular skill whatsoever. Which means if you roll a merchant and suck at being one, you might fail at your job and get kicked out. However you can still continue the main quest and freely do the side quests in the cities and other explorable locations. If you get explicitly dismissed from your faction you are even allowed to try and sign up with another one.
>>
>>383845959
>Combat in Torment is almost optional.
That game has fuckloads of combat, mate. When a game keeps throwing combat at you, saying it's not about the combat is at least a very dishonest thing to say.
>>
>>383846474
no one on /v/ has played PS:T, they just spout memes they've read here.
>>
>>383845843
Just play BG2, Gothic 2, Deus Ex and maybe Witcher 3.
>>
>>383841234
You just described every CRPG
>>
>>383848728
>recommending SJW's Gate 2 and German Jank 2 before games like Arcanum, Arx Fatalis, M&M, Wizardry, AoD and Fallout
/v/ sure fell from grace
>>
>>383848994
Those games are good too, especially Fallout, Arcanum and Wizardry, but they take a lot more out of the newer player than the ones I recommended. Age of Decadence is shit though and almost makes me disregard your opinion.
>>
>>383848994
>>383849294
>>383845843 here, I'm not really a "newer" player, so just recommend me the best ones even though they're hard. I take it Fallout, Arcanum and Wizardry 8 are the best ones then? and what's wrong with Age of Decadence?
>>
>>383849430
I'm >>383848728

it's subjective. I consider Gothic 2 to be the best open world game ever made. And BG2 to have the be the best crpg. Fallout has more options, and Arcanum has the amazing setting and tons of options as well(if you can get into it). Wizardry 8 is from an older genre of dungeon crawlers and is the best of that genre. I'm just not really into that genre though.
>>
D:OS 2 W H E N
>>
>>383849917
and AoD? it seems like most people who dislike it find it too hard.
>>
>>383850847
no, people dislike it because >>383845340
unless you build a fully combat dedicated character
oh and forget to go hybrid unless you know exactly which stat and which levels you need in specific sections for the dialog statchecks
>>
Seems to me like doing anything besides diplomacy in AoD just led to the death screen.

>try a fighter
>get into a fight with 2 hobos with rusty knives--die

>try a sneaky rogue and poisoned a food delivery to bandit camp
>poison barely even scratches the bandits, combat begins--die

>be a smarty diplomatic merchant
>finally finished the demo successfully because i didn't get into combat with anything

you could argue even Planescape: Torment was better than that since combat was at least feasible, although unrewarding. why did age of decadence even put in combat if getting into combat is a quick trip to the game over screen.
>>
File: adwr.png (15KB, 135x138px) Image search: [Google]
adwr.png
15KB, 135x138px
>>
>>383850847
It's not really a hard game. The combat can feel difficult at first, but you'll learn the system after a couple of fights.

Some people don't like that you can fail at quests, or unintentionally harm your guild with your choices. And when you fail, there can be consequences.

It's actually pretty interesting just how much you can fail and ruin things for everyone in the process. Basically it's a game where you shouldn't cry yourself to sleep if something doesn't work out, just roll with it. You will only make such mistakes on the first maybe one or two runs anyway. After that you'll have enough experience to execute most of the things you set out to do. Usually. Some hidden things are harder to achieve than others.
>>
>>383851919
i replayed nwn oc and expansions recently
i can't believe people try to say shadows of undrentide was good, even when compared to the original campaign

hotu held up fairly well though
>>
>>383851704
>poison barely even scratches the bandits, combat begins--die

Well, that's what you get for not paying attention who it is exactly that you poisoned. That is, wrong camp, champ.

Anyway, if you have only played the demo you should at least pirate the actual game before you make your mind up on the combat. The demo features an incredibly out of date version of the system.
>>
>>383852135

Those people are crackheads.

NWN was a western RPG maker with a few really bad tech demos.

It was an RPG toolset for the community to make games, and boy did they. Still unsurpassed.
>>
>>383852004
>>383851704
>>383851434
>>383845340
>>383845765
You honestly need to git gud, holy shit
>>
>>383853193
This thread reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSV1ei6OjY
>>
Which CRPG has the most anime like female characters?
I want a beautiful female character who is obsessed and in love with you and has a cute and youthful or a stern and wise but still loving personality.
>>
>>383853516
>rpg codex shit
you need to go back
>>
>>383851434
>no, people dislike it because >>383845340

And it's still not true. So what you are saying is that people dislike it because of bullshit spread on /v/?
>>
>>383854028
Try not acting like the exact image of the faggots they mock, and I'll have no reason to quote them either.
>>
>>383854210
what?
>>
>>383854368
That video mocks people who bitch and moan about some imaginary brutal and unforgiving difficulty of the game. I don't actually know if it came from the codex or the official forums of the game, but it's irrelevant, because it's true.
>>
File: underrail 2017-07-14 04-07-33-06.jpg (568KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
underrail 2017-07-14 04-07-33-06.jpg
568KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw started replaying Underrail before expansion
>>
>>383854674
when did I bitch and moan about AoD? there's more than two posters on /v/ you know
>>
>>383855042
I'm probably gonna pick it up after the expansion comes out. How would you rank it compared to the Fallout games? I still haven't played Fallout 2, but I actually think Underrail seems more fun, with cooler skills.
>>
>>383855051
Then it wasn't targeted at you specifically. I posted it because it is relevant to the thread. If it doesn't concern you then move along.
>>
>>383855185
>move along
R*ddit is that way, friendo
>>
>>383855170
Much more combat focused while the combat is very statisfying and deep with many options mechanically.
Also you are alone at all times, no companions to carry your ass.
>>
>>383855042
>mfw serrated knife and taste for blood
>>
Geneforge has been really fun. I have a herd of bigfoots running around clobbering the shit out of absolutely everything. Does the series maintain quality?
>>
>>383855170
Underrail isn't really similar to Fallout, even though they both use a GURPS-like system. It's a game more focused on exploration, and has a much better combat system along with an actual stealth system you can only very rarely find in isometric rpgs.
>>
Original version of Planescape has been crashing. Is the Beamdog EE faithful or does it change everything like their Baldur's Gate EE?
>>
File: ded.jpg (52KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
ded.jpg
52KB, 500x313px
>>383855482
>mfw the claw, taste for blood, reckless, force emission, fancy footwork, cheap shots, combo and lightning punches
>>
>>383855552
Sort of. The first game is the shortest in the entire series, and I thought that starting with the second game they became too long for their own good. Not long in the sense of a main quest, because you can still just hook up with a faction and get shit done fast, but the number of areas doubled, maybe tripled. Third game is generally considered the worst in the series for the island-hopping exploration instead of the usual free roam, and for taking the nazis versus nazis faction options a bit too far so that it becomes really hard to want to side with anyone at all. Fifth game on the other hand is considered the best when it comes to factions, even when compared to other rpgs, not just the Geneforge series.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.