[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does The Witcher 3 have Game of Thrones-tier storytelling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: thewitcher3pc1jpg-4dfaf8.jpg (483KB, 1043x1343px) Image search: [Google]
thewitcher3pc1jpg-4dfaf8.jpg
483KB, 1043x1343px
Does The Witcher 3 have Game of Thrones-tier storytelling?
>>
No, not even close. This game is a snoozefest.
>>
Yes. GRRM is a shit writer.
>>
>>383748983
Yeah, game of thrones sucks too.

and I ate both of them up
>>
yes in fact its grittiness reminded me of GoT so does some of the music but I prefer Witcher as a story telling experience
>>
I gave up reading GoT because of the way everything a person was wearing had to be described in autistic detail.
>>
>>383749112
''Game Of Thrones'' =/= ''A Song of Ice and Fire''
>>
>>383748983
Not quite, but they're both equally as shit. Witcher 3 actually a bit worse because of all the autistic made up spell language shit.
>>
no where close.
it does have some really well written quests and characters, but it's spotty at times.
>>
>>383749980
>made up spell language
it's literally welsh and gaelic
>>
It has better story-telling, GoT is just uses shock to make people like it.

Asoiaf is better though, except he spends too much time describing food rather than setting the scenes.
>>
File: 2867491-ldberg_lighthouse.jpg (11KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
2867491-ldberg_lighthouse.jpg
11KB, 640x360px
Nah its not the same, but its the best written video game ever made by a man. Its the only game where I wanted to finish quests to actually find out what happened; didn't give two figs about the reward or loot.

The Phantom of Edelberg was immersive as fuck.
>>
>>383751152
>but its the best written video game ever made by a man
Fallout New Vegas?
>>
>>383751586
stop meming
>>
Tactics Ogre was better than GoT and didn't drag. Also W2 was closer to a GoT type of narrative than W3.
>>
>>383751586
NV is great, but comparing it to TW3 is a bit hard since NV relies on player interactions/atmosphere where as TW3 is basically cutscene story-telling.

I like NV more personally though, since it has great political ideologies.
>>
File: 1430450718934.png (674KB, 587x754px) Image search: [Google]
1430450718934.png
674KB, 587x754px
No, not even close
>>
>>383748983
playing through the witcher series 1-3+dlc

story took a backseat in 3
still one of my top games however
>>
File: 1491333641515.jpg (300KB, 1278x765px) Image search: [Google]
1491333641515.jpg
300KB, 1278x765px
There's no denying that TW3's strongest points are it's story-telling and beautiful environment - but it is almost certainly the best game in those areas to date.
(tl;dr quality of entertainment media is subjective, combat is mediocre, etc.)

I preferred every sidequest over the main story, though, purely because the MAIN characters are such awful people. I don't give a fuck about the bitchy waifus or the OP daughter.
>>
Witcher 3 has Witcher-tier storytelling.
Telltale Games have Game of Thrones storytelling.
And by that I mean everything's cool until shit hits the fan and people unexpectedly die.
>>
>>383748983
>an adaptation of a literary work with no nuance or subtlety because casuals think tits and swearing constitute mature writing
>>
>>383748983
Yeah. I'm gonna play bloodborne for a third time and let you know.
>>
what does Game of Thrones tier storytelling even mean? Is this like Dark Souls of x kind of thing?
>>
>>383748983
It's GoT except helped a lot by being interactive that it's not insufferably shit.
>>
File: witcher2 2014-01-01 13-48-31-37.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
witcher2 2014-01-01 13-48-31-37.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>383748983
Witcher is more like an R rated shrek than Game of Thrones. Both the books and the games spend most of their time doing cynical retellings or dark twists on classic fantasy stories and fairy tales if not just outright referencing them in dialogue.
>>
File: ciri.png (4MB, 2400x1350px) Image search: [Google]
ciri.png
4MB, 2400x1350px
post feet
>>
witcher 3 has boring main story
>>
>>383753479
Spoken like a true underage.
>>
Not even close, the structure of the story is all over the place, the pacing is awful, 90% of the shit you do doesn't have any connection to the themes or the main plotline and there are tons of plotholes.
>>
is ciri a murderous bitch in tw3?
>>
>>383751152
>Nah its not the same, but its the best written video game ever made by a man

It's a very poorly written game once you analyze it. Seriously you are a fucking retard.

Witcher 1 and 2 were miles beyond Witcher 3. Even Dragon Age origins managed to be more coherent and nuanced
>>
>caring about the story in an exploration/action game
>>
>>383753479
I think that goes without saying for all open world RPGs. The fact that you can go off and do something else for hours removes all sense of urgency from it. That said Witcher 3 has some of the best main story content I can think of. Compare the Baron to say the Wyrm hunt quests from Dragon's Dogma or the boring civil war shit in Skyrim.
>>
>>383748983
Game of Thrones unironically has better writing than the Witcher. That's how garbage the writing in videogames is
>>
>>383753773
All the Witcher has is its story and sidequests. The rest is mediocre as fuck
>>
>>383753631
The Witcher 3 has the best writing I have ever seen in a game. The Witcher 3 is the FIRST game (including different rpgs) where I haven't skipped a cut scene.

In all other games I normally just don't care after a few minutes and skip everything, but in The Wircher 3 I wanted to see everything.

There is another thing why I think The Witcher 3 is the best game ever, but I won't say what it is. It's a personal thing and if you don't think after finishing The Witcher 3 that it is the best game ever then you won't understand my argument anyway.
>>
>>383753773
>this is what deluded witcher cucks actually believe

The main attraction in the witcher was the story and the characters since the games take a lot from the fucking book series you retard
>>
File: baywatch_yasmine_blee.jpg (32KB, 410x478px) Image search: [Google]
baywatch_yasmine_blee.jpg
32KB, 410x478px
>>383754245
honestly this. vidya kiddies are used to garbage writing so they praise trash like the witcher. the fact of the matter is that even stuff like baywatch has better characters than the witcher
>>
>>383753019
Reading the books right now and it's pretty much this. I thought naming your character "Hatori Hanzo" was a pretty lame handling of references by the game makers, but the books are the same.
>>
>>383754627
Nobody cares, the game's writing and structure are bad from an objective standpoint. Eredin is a badly written villain from an objective standpoint, there are plotholes from an objective standpoint, the last act of the game is a pile of shit from an objective standpoint.
>>
>>383754627
>where I haven't skipped a cut scene

The cutscenes are well animated and the character designs are well though.

The writing isn't. If this game had the budget of Witcher 1 , where there are no facial animations, the animations are clunky, and everyone just stands in place while they talk they wouldn't be as good.

Come to think of it if Witcher 1 had the quality of writing of this game the studio would go under.
>>
>>383748983
if by that you mean awful writing, then yes.
>>
>>383753537
Spoken like a true nu-male
>>
>>383749292
You clearly haven't read anything by Robert Jordan. GoT is literally a fast paced soap opera in comparison.
>>
>>383753019
>R rated shrek

this description is fucking hilarious
>>
>>383749112
As an actual /lit/, he's in fact an excellent writer story composer.
>>
>>383752568
What you forget to mention is said literary work consisting of tits and violence half of the time, navel gazing other half, so it's hardly going away from the spirit and themes of the book

t. Pole
>>
>>383762149
I don't recall any of that from the first book.
>>
>>383754936
>2017
>Reading the books now
Wait, what? They literally stopped being a thing by early 00s. Then the game spent next 7 years in development hell. Why would you read a mediocre-to-average fantasy series almost 20 years after the last book of it was published?
>>
>>383762287
Define "first book".

Because there is a fuckload of confusion about this - you mean The Last Wish or you mean Blood of Elves?
Because both start with ultra-violence and tits show-up pretty soon after that (later in BoE, but still)
>>
>>383762409
The Last Wish
>>
>>383762441
Butchering bunch of random guys, then princess tits when she's no longer a monster. Right in the first story, which is what? 20 pages long? And after that you've got the Beauty and the Beast, Slavshit edition (no, really, that story is one of the weakest Sapkowski ever written, even outside Witcher), where tits and violence go hand by hand.
And so on and forth.
>>
>>383748983

I'd say its better than that OP.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.