[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We are now at the point where a cheap laptop with integrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 2

File: 1490014325800.jpg (832KB, 1723x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1490014325800.jpg
832KB, 1723x1632px
We are now at the point where a cheap laptop with integrated graphics is able to play the best games ever made and the most expensive PCs are able to play generic garbage full of microtransactions.
>>
>>383730838

Some of those games aren't really worth playing for new people in 2017. They were just really revolutionary at the time, and are just historically important. Some of those games are pretty bland and are just pushed by nostalgia.
>>
>>383730838

Didn't System Shock, thief 1/2 get some unofficial patches a few years ago?
>>
>>383731360
>Some of those games aren't really worth playing for new people in 2017
Then what games are? There are no good modern games.
>>
>>383731469
I think they were patched to run on newer systems
>>
>>383731694

Duke and Quake are the ones I'd say must be played, since those games were the peak of that style of FPS, and that maze like sub-genre died. A lot of the others fall into alright for its time, or not worth playing outright.

>Half Life

Revolutionary at its time, but just an okay game now.

>Fallout 2

I never cared for those isometric western rpgs. The writing and setting are nice. But combat is pretty bad.

>Super Mario 64

Revolutionary, but it's like 15 small levels you visit over and over again.

>Spyro the Dragon

Okay game, not bad, not great. Nice for kids

>Oddworld

Probably worth playing, since that flashy puzzle platformer style died out.

>Silent Hill

It meant to build upon RE games, but the controls are more than a little awkward.

>System Shock 2

Big influence for its day. Just an okay game.

>Medieval

Sloppy game with poor camera. Nostalgia goggles.

>Ocarina of Time

One of the most important 3D games ever, and it's DNA can be seen in every other 3D third person game. But the formula is rather stale, and most people are better off playing a newer Zelda or action game.

>Resident Evil 2

NIce and all, but the odd camera angles and control were needed on the Playstation to get those great graphics. Now it seems strange to control characters like that.
>>
>>383732234
Give some examples of modern games that are better in the same genres as these games then plz.
>>
>>383732234
>FPSfag thinks he has taste
>>
>>383732234

this post offends me deeply
>>
>>383730838
>most expensive PCs are able to play generic garbage full of microtransactions.
but anon, most expensive PCs are able to play your so called "best games" too. take off your nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>383732447
you will shit on those games regardless they are actually good or bad. don't delude yourself.
>>
>>383732670
>most expensive PCs are able to play your so called "best games" too.
So it's worth the extra money to just to know your PC could handle more, but doesn't need to.

>take off your nostalgia goggles.
Give some examples of modern games that come even slightly close to any of these.
>>
But can cheap laptops handle Nuts dot wad?
>>
>>383730838
Damn.. Those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride
>>
>>383732843
Maybe it is because they aren't good. Just post some, I am interested.
>>
>>383732447
>Give some examples of modern games that are better in the same genres as these games then plz.

The Souls Games, specifically Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne absolutely blow the 3D Zelda games out of the water.
>>
>>383732927
>Give some examples of modern games that come even slightly close to any of these.
they were amazing on their time. now they are just mediocre at best.
>>
>>383732234
>I never cared for those isometric western rpgs

Back to FIFA
>>
>>383732927
My god I hate nostalgiafaggots. There's literally no one worse in this industry than those cancerous growths.
>>
>>383732234
>reddit spacing
Didn't even read
>>
>>383731694
this is the worst meme on v and i cant wait until its dead
>>
>>383733284
>My god I hate nostalgiafaggots.

Agreed. I go back and forth a bit. There's great games in the past, and great games currently. I hate those who say that only the past games were great.
>>
>>383733284
The worst is when they shit on games that literally have nothing to do with the old ones. Make a thread about a modern turn based game and some retard will come in saying Fallout is better despite the fact the games have nothing in common besides being turn based.
>>
>>383732234
It strongly depends.
OOT, for example, isn't really worth playing for the person who has already played similar modern games. But if they haven't yet touched on that genre, it's certainly worthwhile to start with the "beginning".
>>
>>383733125
Not gonna say they are trash because a lot of people like them, just not my kind of games.
>>
>>383733178
So what is the half life replacement? What is the system shock replacement? Nothing modern has replaced any of these.

>>383733284
>I won't tell you why you are wrong, I will just tell you that you are cancer and I hate you

>>383733425
It will be dead when modern games start being acceptable.
>>
>>383734002
>So what is the half life replacement? What is the system shock replacement? Nothing modern has replaced any of these.
they don't need replacement you retard.
half life is just a corridor fps with little puzzle elements. that's it. that's fucking all. even the fucking singularity has it.
games don't replace places with each other. jesus, you want just nothing but shitpost.
for fucks sake, i bet you will defend gordon's ice skating movement style.
>>
>>383734443
From this we can conclude you have played the game for around 15 mins.

What are some genuine good games from 2017 anon?
>>
>>383732234
>system shock 2 and Half Life
>okay games
get off this board you double nigger.
>>
>>383734443
ur a faget
>>
why red alert??? i loved red alert when it first came out, but you're deluding yourself if you think any 90s rts (or rts in general) has any staying power when juxtaposed with broodwar.
>>
>tfw 20 and wasn't playing games when those games were released.
>in the last couple years played a bunch of them
>they're mostly pretty great in any circumstance

I don't get what's wrong with thinking good games are good if they're old. No one looks back at films from the first half of the 20th century and goes "ah yeah, Rules of the Game and The Passion of Joan of Arc were good for their time but now they're just ok"
>>
>>383734975
>From this we can conclude you have played the game for around 15 mins.
i completed it 3 times and speedrunned it. it's just a corridor shooter. it was amazing at that time. now it's just a fps. half life is my favourite series and i'm not a nostalgia fool like you.
>>
>>383730838
MediEvil is fucking amazing and nobody can tell me otherwise.
>>
>>383735494
2 was better
>>
Uhhh but OP can your laptop play the fucking BASED new games that my PC MASTER RACE based custom build can do? Falseflagging fucking Sony Nigger consolecucks with shitty laptops can't play based new games like
>Overwatch
>WoW: Legion
>Hearthstone
>DmC: Devil May Cry
>the entire Hyperdimension Neptunia series
>Fallout 4
>a couple handfuls of PS4/Vita shovelware ports
>>
>>383735412
This, more younger gamers need to discover olders games.
>>
>>383735681
the new dmc was unironically a great game
>>
>>383730838
Are Fallout 2, Medievil, Worms: Armageddon, Quake, Spyro,
Duke Nukem 3D, and C&C: Red Alert really that good? I played all the other games on the list and to me they ranged from good to great.
>>
>>383735681
why would I want to play any of those anyway?
>>
>>383735681
>>383735454

I am gonna say these guys are b8ing.
>>
>>383735773
Medievil, Worms. Quake, and Duke Nukem are Great
Spyro and C&C are okay
Fallout 2 is good if you can stomach the gameplay and focus on the story.
>>
>>383735454
>Half life is my favorite series but I don't like it
what?
>>
>>383733125
How can a game be blown out the water by a completely different game? It's like saying that Madden blows FIFA out the water, sure they're both sports games but they're two different sports.
>>
>>383735681
>Overwatch
tf2 copy
>WoW: Legion
What massive error have you made there anon?
>Hearthstone
Yeah fucking hell, who could possibly run that game maxed out?
>Fallout 4
No comment
>>
>>383735412
shit analogy. citizen kane was great at its time. now it's just "meh".
>>
My 5 year old laptop can play cemu just fine.
>>
>>383732234
>>383733457
Nah you faggots just have zero taste or are underaged.
>>
>>383736135
How does it feel to have such shit taste that everything taste like ass to you?
>>
>>383736135
>citizen kane was great at its time

And how old are you?
>>
>>383736020
anon, you are a retard with shitty reading skills. calling a game's flaws is not the same with disliking. your "either hate it or love it" logic is shit.
>>
>>383736397
>now they are just mediocre at best.
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>383736324
>>383736343
nice buzzwords bro. you showed me. your dick is bigger.
>>
>>383736135
Do you have any semblance of taste in ANY medium?
>>
File: rWpnw9Y.jpg (578KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
rWpnw9Y.jpg
578KB, 3000x2000px
I bet that all of you fags don't even post on /vr/
>>
>>383736020
Don't reply to him, he is b8ing
>>
>>383736135
Wasn't Citizen Kane lauded for its symbolism and cinematography? Stuff like that doesn't really age so much as it just goes out of style.This is in contrast that with something like 80s action movies which were more of a product of their time
>>
>>383736583
Game has to be older than 1999 and there were some good games that came out after that, if it was 2007 and before I would never come to /v/ again.
>>
>>383736583
i need one of thos tv things
>>
>>383735580
Never played it to be honest, but never heard anyone say anything good about it
>>
>>383736553
Both of those post did not use any buzzwords.
>>
>>383735412
Because videogames are strongly tied to the capacilities of the system they are developed for, moreso than any other medium. What that means is that players have to take a minute to get used to the controls schemes instead of assuming it's gonna play just like a modern game, but I guess that's too much to ask of some people.

Also you're wrong about movies, people also say old movies are "dated" all the time, I knew several people who outright refuse to watch black and white movies.
>>
>>383736583
I go there, I come here to fish only
>>
>>383736742
You don't need a crt to play old games.
>>
>>383736846
>Because videogames are strongly tied to the capacilities of the system they are developed for, moreso than any other medium.
>What that means is that players have to take a minute to get used to the controls schemes instead of assuming it's gonna play just like a modern game, but I guess that's too much to ask of some people.
Those have nothing to do with each other. Control scheme and system capabilities are independent, aside from "does not have analog stick" cases.

You're correct that retro games do often take an acclimatization period, but that's more due to differing design philosophies and play methodologies.
>>
>>383735773
I have mixed feelings about Fallout 2, it's a great game but I just don't like it as much as I used to.

Medievil is a bit clunky but a great game nonetheless, if the controls feel too janky for you check out the Maximo games on the PS2, they're pretty much the spiritual successors.

Worms is a lot of fun, hardly what I'd call a must play classic but fun nonetheless.

Quake is good but Quake 2 was frankly better.

Spyro is also good but again the next two games in the series were better.
>>
>>383737006
tank controls are the number one reason people won't touch any old RE games.
>>
>>383736073
>How can a game be blown out the water by a completely different game? It's like saying that Madden blows FIFA out the water, sure they're both sports games but they're two different sports.

Add some block pushing puzzles, and more people in towns, and suddenly Souls games turn into Zeldas. Alternatively, strip the puzzles out, add some stats, and Zeldas turn into Souls games. The overlap is huge and it's impossible to not notice it.
>>
>>383736583
Used to go there more but the place is really slow and repetitive most of the time. If they finally allowed PS2 games (and stopped bitching about PS1 and Dreamcast being there) I'd have no reason to even come to /v/ anymore.
>>
>>383737118
>people

You mean casuals? RE controls are fine unless you are mentally impaired.
>>
>>383737298
PS2 will never be retro
>>
>>383737006
Early 3D games are notorious for not having what you'd call fluid controls, it's not about the control schemes it's about the limitations of the systems they were made for.
>>
>>383736846
I mostly agree with you; any new experience is going to require some work on the part of the person participating in order to access it.

>people refusing to watch back and white movies.
I've heard of this but never experienced it personally. In any case, any one who seeks out a space to discuss film probably wouldn't carry this opinion. I'm just surprised so many people on /v/ do, but disdain for plebs and all that I suppose.
>>
>>383731360
I started gaming back in 2006 when I was 8. I have tried some of these games.
Half-Life, System Shock 2, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Worms Armageddon, Quake, Resident Evil 2, and Super Mario 64 are all fantastic. I've only played the 3D remake of Ocarina of Time, but it was pretty good too. Final Fantasy 7 is garbage. Spyro is meh. Haven't tried the rest.
>>
>>383737264
Is the overlap between Demon's Souls and Devil May Cry also huge then?
>>
>>383737403
Why?
>>
>>383737118
>>383737430
And yet there were also games in that era with fine controls for the same systems.
It's not about system limitations. The hardware could handle it just fine
>>
>>383737473
Good all the way up to "Final Fantasy 7 is garbage"
>>
>>383737510

All 3D action games, draw quite a bit from Zelda 64, so somewhat. Though the difference between DMC and Demon Souls is a bit greater. There's more special moves and more indepth to the battle system that is not found in either Zelda or Souls series. DMC incorporates elements of Resident Evil, and fighting games.
>>
>>383737403
It already is for most people.

>>383737118
Their loss, not to mention tank controls, out of all the "archaic" control schemes, are the easiest to acclimatize yourself to.

>>383737473
>started gaming in 2006
I'm not even gonna bitch at you for being underage I just feel bad that you missed out on so much. It's funny that you started out in 2006 because that was really the last year of the "golden age".
>>
>>383730838
Shit, Shit, Decent, Shit
Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit
Shit, Decent, Shit, Shit
Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit
>>
>>383737739
>Underage
he is 19 m8
>>
>>383737864
How much dick do you suck faggot? It must be a lot because you are even gayer than OP.
>>
>>383737876
I know, it's hard to believe but it's true.
>>
>>383730838
PS4 > Laptop > HDTV box to play emulation > I7 GTX 1080 ubisoft nvidia card
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.