[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever get a traditional style castlevania game again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: castlevania.jpg (129KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania.jpg
129KB, 1000x500px
Will we ever get a traditional style castlevania game again? I love SoTN but I miss the simple straightforward action of the original game.
>>
>>383724112
Also general castlevania thread.
>>
I'm currently playing Dracula X Chronicles
It's fucking hard
>>
>>383724297
I finally went back and beat the first game a few days ago, the shit is brutal. I miss the simple challenge of older games. It makes winning much more satisfying.
>>
There are tons of indie games that have traditional castlevania style
>>
I fucking hope so, but I know it will never happen.
>>
>>383724112
Look into indie/doujin games, it doesn't have to be a big brand to be good
>>
>>383724424
Could you name a few?
>>
>>383724424
If you think "traditional" means super Nintendo
>>
>>383724780
I don't see much wrong with Castlevania 4. It's not my favorite but I still think it's a great game.
>>
There's still a lot of classicvania games if you've only played the first one.

>Castlevania: The Advanture
>Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
>Castlevania (The Adventure) II: Belmont's Revenge
>Super Castlevania IV
>Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
>Castlevania: Bloodlines
>Castlevania: Dracula X (rearranged port of Rondo)
>Castlevania Legends
>Castlevania Chronicles
>>
>>383724112
I'm gonna go with no.

At this point its questionable if we'll even get another metroidvania after the clusterfuck of shit they've done in the last few years.
>>
>>383724943
I've played the first 4. I've got to get around to playing the other ones. Hows bloodlines? I was thinking of getting to it next.
>>
>>383724872
The original Castlevania was based around having to plan around dealing with the obstacles in your way and building an understanding of the level design to the point where the developer and the player knew the level equally well.

4 is a SNES platformer
>>
>>383725058
Fair enough. I don't see it as a huge problem. It's a good platformed. I do agree though that part of the fun of the first Castlevania is learning from your mistakes and finding a way to tackle the problem.
>>
>>383725035
It's pretty good, though a little different. It has different routes through some levels depending on which character you use, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>383724713
Not that anon but one I've enjoyed is Odallus.
>>
>>383724713
He's full of shit when it comes to the "tons" part, but there are some. Volgarr The Viking and Curse of Issyos are both spiritual successors in different settings but similar core gameplay.
>>
We'll never get any Castlevania again probably. If the show makes the series popular again, I could see a Castlevania collection being released, but not a good original game.
>>
Simon's Quest wasn't *that* bad.
>>
I've just bought a NES Mini - are Castlevania 1 and 2 good games? Is playing them on the NES the best way to play them or do better versions exist elsewhere?
>>
>>383725828
It isn't that bad with a guide, but not knowing what to do back in the day would have been frustrating
>>
>>383726030
1 is good on the NES. For 2 you want to get the rom hack that fixes its many issues like the translation and slow night/day transition, makes it a more enjoyable game. 3 is great, don't skip it. Get the japanese version for better music and more balanced difficulty.
>>
>>383726030
Castlevania is my favorite game of all time. 2 kind of sucks and a guide is pretty much required for it. Playing it on NES is great, but playing it on anything else is fine too as long as you can resist the urge to save scum.
>>
>>383724112
I don't get why more companies don't do stuff like New Super Mario Bros.
A New Classic Castlevania would sell pretty decently and be cheap to make.
>>
File: hollow_knight.png (4MB, 1824x1560px) Image search: [Google]
hollow_knight.png
4MB, 1824x1560px
>ctrl-F Hollow Knight
>0 results

If elegance in simplicity is what you're after, look no further. I would rate this game a 9/10 at the very least.
>>
>>383726465
The only thing simple is the combat, otherwise it's a long as hell game with a big interconnected open world, a lot of backtracking, shops, upgrades, collectibles, etc. It's not even remotely similar to the classic games.
>>
>>383724297
Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, played it for the first time yesterday on PPSSPP and it was giving a lot more trouble than I thought it would.
>>
>>383725058
>4 is a SNES platformer

The fuck does this mean? SCIV may not be the absolute best but it's easily top 3 in the series. Also its controls aged waaay better than the NES counterparts.
>>
>>383726465
>Recommending Hollow Knight because it's a Metroidvania

You do realise the classic Castlevanias are not Metroidvanias
>>
>>383726465
Probably because it's nothing like Classicvania you dipshit
>>
>>383726879
He means that it's a more generic action platformer that removes the unique aspects of Castlevania. He didn't even mention the arguably more important part that 4 removes which is the huge emphasis on timing. 4's controls "aged better" because they're very bland, they don't challenge you in a pretty unique way that the originals did.
>>
>>383724112

Go play the fan game Castlevania Lecarde Chronicles 1. Its a few years old and it was damn good.

The sequel came out about a month or so ago, both really good games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQkhfm9Qu6I
>>
>>383727358
>suggesting fangames
Kill yourself nigger.
>>
>>383724297
Ive played through it so many times most levels dont give me trouble, but the alternate stage 5 is fucking brutal
>>
>>383725429
I actually think Bloodlines plays the fastest, it feels pretty good. Sure insert what ever blast processing meme you want, but the speed that bloodlines plays at is much different than Rondo or SCV4
>>
>>383727528

Well okay but said fangames are better then the actual latest releases.
>>
File: notbad.gif (2KB, 53x99px) Image search: [Google]
notbad.gif
2KB, 53x99px
You like that?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.