[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come graphic like this acceptable and playable back then?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 90s_ game _graphic.jpg (33KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
90s_ game _graphic.jpg
33KB, 512x384px
How come graphic like this acceptable and playable back then? Do people find those games ugly?
>>
>>383683912
Is this the multiplayer mod for gothic?
>>
>>383683912
I LOVE those kind of muddy textures and poor lighting.The graphics created a mood an atmosphere , your brain filled in the rest helped by the writing of the game.It's the reason why reading books is so amazing you are told how a character generally looks without too much details and the mind fills in the blanks.Two people read the same book, same story , but they both seen it differently.Low poly , muddy textures that was one of the many reasons gaming was better back then.Now everything is ultra mega hd 4k, there is nothing for the players mind to fill in, you could say games are now more or less a interactive movie.
>>
>>383683912
It still looks good enough. A game only has to look as good as Half Life 1 to be acceptable
>>
>>383684026
gothic have 1 mmo my friend kyrmir.eu
>>383684645
this
>>
File: 1499740014349.png (1MB, 1920x840px) Image search: [Google]
1499740014349.png
1MB, 1920x840px
>>383683912
Actually it was a golden era for art design. Technological limitations turned games into something that might have been blocky but it was spirited and vivid. If you think that Eidos Ex looks better than original Deus Ex I cannot help you.

If anything, this approach needs to be taken today. I think that DX for instance was additionally dismal due to limitations imposed on it by its engine, but it made it abstract enough so that the player can not only fill the void with imagination, but wallow in it

Screenshot you posted also looks great.
>>
>>383684645
Didn't see this post before I replied. Glad someone else sees this here.
>>
>>383683912
>How come graphic like this acceptable and playable back then?

Not that we had much choice.
>>
>>383684873
You did make your point better than me tho.
>>
>>383685171
Some creators seem to understand this sentiment and are trying to go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSbtTmfP3g

I still want a more abstract, big and interactive environment in a modern RPG. And I do not mean open world.
>>
>>383684645
that´s somewhat of a stretch, the ability for the brain to provide filler information is a crutch, and a shitton of people lack the active imagination to beat out what you get with graphical character design nowadays on average.

If you have the imagination, having a character fully formulated does not hinder you from imagining how they would look like in different situations either.

Those times did definitely benefit the player with a good mind for these things and gave more food for thought, yes, but saying that they were straight up better is like calling a block of marble more impressive than michelangelo´s david for its sheer potential of what it could be.
>>
>>383683912
Actually, Gothic graphics were good at the time.

I remember I was impressed by how good textures were in Gothic 2. The forest environments looked juicy, the town looked lively and etc. And unlike gothic 1, gothic 2 had color.
>>
>>383683912
I miss 90s and early 00s graphics.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.