[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>backtracking is now a bad thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1394164732435.gif (799KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
1394164732435.gif
799KB, 200x189px
>backtracking is now a bad thing
>>
>now

backtracking has always been bad, it's simply a case of whether or not the gameplay makes it more tolerable.
>>
>>383639351
Removing tedious sections increases replay value
>>
>>383639351
Always has been
>>
>>383639561
>>383640105
If you truly had a zero tolerance for backtracking, you would only be able to enjoy games that are completely linear and either auto-scrolling or heavily checkpointed.

like pretty much any vidya element only a fucking retard thinks they can cast judgment on it in isolation
>>
>>383640870
This is sincerely a stupid post.
>>
there's good ones like DMC3 and there's bad ones like DMC4
>>
>>383639351
>>383640870
You are a complete fucking retard and should kill yourself.
>>
>>383640959
Use your brain, dummy.
>>
What are games with backtracking that also have fun movement abilities?

Ori's super jump and bash are fun, but the dash was awkward
>>
>>383641314
That's what I want from you. Use yours.
>>
File: 1499633723079.jpg (84KB, 312x321px) Image search: [Google]
1499633723079.jpg
84KB, 312x321px
>>383639351
>having to backtrack all the way across the entire game to get that sniper rifle to fight Sniper Wolf in MGS1
>>
>>383640870
Backtracking is shit when you're simply retreading old ground and either the same shit is there again or the place is fucking empty because you already cleared it out so you're just walking through empty hallways with nothing going on.

If the game alters the environment significantly on the way back, introduces a new challenge in an old area, or still has shit to do without any big gaps of empty navigation, that kind of backtracking is fine.
>>
>>383639351
It IS a bad thing, it's what made Metroid Prime so fucking boring and trash.
Empty room after empty room, repeated fight after repeated fight.
>>
>>383641436
>have a reason to come back to actual stealth areas and approach them from different perspectives

This only works on hard and extreme but it's always a treat. I wish there were MGS1 Snake Tales.
>>
File: 1499771281961.png (172KB, 730x442px) Image search: [Google]
1499771281961.png
172KB, 730x442px
>ITT people confusing bad game design with the idea of reusing previous levels in general
>>
>>383641964
There were only like 2 rooms with guards between Sniper Wolf and the armory. Most of it was just walking though empty rooms there and back.
>>
>>383642136
I have an objective so I don't really mind.
>>
>>383641978
>OH MY AUTISM

But seriously arguing with autists is not a smart thing.
>>
>>383642621
I actually cannot tell if anon agrees or disagrees with the person he replied to.
>>
Backtracking in linear games is what I hate. DMC4 is just a straight shot to the end, and then a straight shot to the start. It feels lazy and shit. Dog collecting in Cave Story isn't any fun, it's just a shitty fetch quest as you explore the same are you've been to one minute ago.
Good backtracking has you exploring new areas, and then returning to old ones to find new areas to explore.
Sometimes it's overboard though, making you visit the same areas even though there's nothing new there. Hollow Knight has some examples of this, spending several minutes walking through the same exact areas just to visit an NPC and then go back. Nothing was unlocked, nothing new happened on the way there and you have to do it many times.
>>
>>383639351
Wario Land 1 and Banjo Tooie. Fuck these games, I want to like them but I can't fucking stand the sheer amount of backtracking you have to do. You'll also notice these games are older than you.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.