[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Silent Hill prove games are art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: sh2-pyramid.jpg (86KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sh2-pyramid.jpg
86KB, 640x360px
Does Silent Hill prove games are art?
>>
File: Jacobs Ladder.jpg (184KB, 805x992px) Image search: [Google]
Jacobs Ladder.jpg
184KB, 805x992px
No. It just proves the Japs will soullessly rip off anything and everything they can and then mash it all into a pastiche and call it "original"
>>
>>383601234
Jacob's ladder was hardly original itself and shares very little similarity with SH.
>>
>>383601234
This honestly. I'm baffled that they keep shitting out Wizardry clones after 30 years and still not make one that actually surpasses it.

Also fuck 5 captchas to submit a single reply.
>>
>>383601234
Silent hill has nothing to do with Jacob's Ladder other than a couple artistic choices though.
>>
>>383601472
That's why I said a Pastiche. A bunch of the themes are taken from Solaris. Music cues taken from older horror movies. Setting taken from western authors. Locations taken from various books and movies. I'm not saying Silent Hill is bad. It just gets way too much credit.
>>
>>383601657
Everything takes inspiration from something else anon, that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve credit. Silent hill created a wonderful atmosphere and did extremely well within the limitations of the system it was built for, 2 and 3 did the same.
>>
>>383602067
Yeah it did. I would argue 3 did a worse job than 4 though. The cult in 3 is borderline B-movie tier sillyness.
>>
>>383601657
it's inspired by a bunch of things, partially because it's a japanese take on an American setting but also because no one creates in a vacuum.
The final product was still very novel and unique in itself, and certainly more so than most video games.
>>
File: 1492816523366.jpg (50KB, 576x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492816523366.jpg
50KB, 576x416px
>>383602180
>The cult in 3 is borderline B-movie tier sillyness.
take it back.
>>
>>383601118
Yes
>>
>>383602912
I'm sorry, I can't take puking up a fetus and then eating the fetus seriously. I won't take it back.
>>
>>383601343
>5 captchas
it's time to take a break
>>
File: 20170711134258_1.jpg (983KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170711134258_1.jpg
983KB, 3840x2160px
No, but Infinite does, such a beautiful game.
>>
>>383603096
but the same thing happened in 1.
And 3's cult stuff adds so much more to the series.
We seem samael in the library and realize it was part of the cults religious imagery from the start.
It's likely the creature we saw in 1 was created from the perception the cult had of god, not the other way around.
And then when the cult moved on to worshiping Alessa it stands to reason that when the god is born that time it looks like her.

4 did not handle the cult stuff nearly as well.
it was a really interesting side story but it felt tacked on.
>>
>>383601118
No, but it proves that horror games are the only instance where story is more important than gameplay.
>>
>>383603307
wtf? FUCK white people!
>>
>>383603632
Eh. I measure them differently than most I guess. I still get nightmares of waking up and seeing my front door locked shut but I never get nightmares of anything from 3 or 2.
>>
>>383603096
You can thank the general "You CAN'T show THAT in vidya!" attitude of the world; originally, the fetus thing was really supposed to exit via her vagoo, with Claudia inserting it to her own, but that'd gotten the game banned practically everywhere.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.