[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Gamecube the most overrated console (technical speaking)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 8

File: 1447422682792.jpg (290KB, 1366x624px) Image search: [Google]
1447422682792.jpg
290KB, 1366x624px
Is the Gamecube the most overrated console (technical speaking) of all time?
>>
Not really it was in the middle between Xbox and PS2. Xbox was the graphics machine of that gen and ran the Splinter Cell series the best.
>>
>>383580764
technically the gamecube was better than PS2
I believe the reason why they didn't port this game was due to disc limit and strange things happened with EA during that time
I believe Nintendo didn't want to pay them so they decided to shit public on the gamecube
Not that gamecube was graphically impressive
99% of the time PS2/Gamecube games look the same
PS2 was very bad due to 100% lack of anti-aliasing that you didn't notice because CRT tvs
>>
>>383581234
>>>383580764 (OP)
>technically the gamecube was better than PS2
Criterion literally said it wasn't.
>>
>>383581234
>I believe the reason why they didn't port this game was due to disc limit and strange things happened with EA during that time
Disc limit is a meme for most games. If you read that link then the dude never gives a definite answer for anything.
He also basically admits that the part quoted in the image is complete bullshit.
>>
>>383581376
but I couldn't find any article proving the PS2 was superior to the gamecube
Perhaps you could help me with this
>>
>>383581410
it's not a meme because If I'm not wrong Nintendo's price for the discs wasn't 50 cents like PS2 dvds
Every single dollar counts for publishers
>>
>>383581481
That's the price anon.
>>
>>383581517
No reason to port a game to gamecube in two discs considering the PS2 was selling like water
If I'm not mistaken Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was developed specifically for the PS2 and then ported to Xbox and Gamecube so EA was closer to Sony than to Nintendo.
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit it's one of the few games that have better graphics on PS2 compared to Xbox
>>
>>383581410
>He also basically admits that the part quoted in the image is complete bullshit.
Where does he say this?
>>
I cant find any proof really, but if the gc is weaker than the ps2, how come RE4 looks the best on that system? How has no game from that era matched the visuals of metroid prime? And why isnt there a racer better looking and running than f-zero gx. I love the ps2 library but i think the gc was superior on a technical level
>>
>>383581431
Its there in the OP
>>
>>383580764
That's just bullshit to avoid mentioning the real reason why developers prefered the PS2 (cheaper to develop on and larger disc size).
>>
>>383580764
On a technical level it's easily the PS3. It was a nightmare to develop for and all the sony drones kept saying developers "would eventually create better looking games" which never happened. Gamecube had good looking games but lacked space like the N64 so it was bit of a repeat of the previous generation.
>>
>>383580764
Actually the Playstation was, and still is.
It's always run multiplats like ass and still does run them like ass.
>>
>>383581727
RE4 port is not a good comparison since the PS2 version was done fast and not by skilled programmers
Also RE4 was developed specifically for the Gamecube
While gamecube had faster GPU in the real world most of multiplats looked very similar.
There are almost zero reliable source showing specs between gamecube and PS2
>>
>>383581960
this
Even the Pro struggles to maintain 30fps.
>>
>>383581960
What multiplats? Most good multiplats (nearly all of them were on Saturn/PS1) run fine.
>>
>>383581727
Because the GameCube wasnt weaker at all. This is a bait thread.
>>
SUNSHINE IN THE MORNING
>>
>>383582076
>What multiplats?
All of them? I was referring to the entire PS legacy.
>>
the problem with gamecube is that only three games utilized its full power: Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Metroid Prime 2 and F-Zero Gx
>>
>>383582000
>While gamecube had faster GPU in the real world
It's a bit hard to tell whether badly ported PS2 games are just the product of developers not using the hardware to its fullest rather than weakness compared to GCN.

For instance, in raw fill rate the PS2 annihilates the Gamecube.

PS2 can draw 2352 MPixel/s, while Gamecube 648 MPixel/s. As for texels (textures) PS2 does 1176 MTexel/s and Gamecube 648 MTexel/s.

PS2's main memory is faster than Gamecube (3.2 GB/s vs 2.4 GB/s) and its VRAM is faster too (48 GB/s vs 12.8 GB/s).
>>
>>383580764
Did no one notice that the source link in OP's image clearly says

>PS2 vs Dreamcast graphics

Fake news.
>>
>>383582221
Oh you are just a triggered Nintendogaffer,nevermind.
>>
why can't we have a single thread without console war at leas for the first 50 replies?
>>
>>383580764
>gamecube was the console that made nintendo lose the most market share
>is the gamecube the most overrated console of all time
you decide
>>
>>383582269
>Criticize Sony
>"hurr durr nintendogaf fanboy hurr"
I'm really not. I'm just pointing out Sony consoles have always had weak hardware and have always struggled to run multiplats properly. Prove me wrong faggot.
>>
>>383582320
The OP was about console war bullshit. You can't save a thread like that. /v/ is nothing but shitposting anyways so what's the point?
>>
>>383582359
gamecube sold 20 million units even though it launched at 199 dollars and then discount for 149 6 months later
Lack of EA games, GTA and lack of proper Mario makes the gamecube the worst console of all time after the Wii U in my opinion
>>
File: ?.gif (505KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
?.gif
505KB, 1080x1080px
>>383580764
Why did he lie? Or did he actually believe this?
>>
>>383580764
>PS2 CPU
>Handles Graphics and Processing
>Somehow manages to do more effects, without any shaders.
>Somehow usage of less opcode is good

It's almost like everything he said was full of buzzwords so people wouldn't dig deep into it.
>>
>>383582460
>OP is bait so let's just fuel console war because I want to make a bad thread even worse
why?
>>
>>383581846
>>>383581431
>Believing EA

Why were Burnout 1 & 2 on the GameCube?
>>
>>383582341
>(Technical speaking)

Learn to read before you act all smug and stating something everyone knows already
>>
>>383582254
>>383582254
>>383582254
>>
File: 599usdollars.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
599usdollars.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>383581880

PS3 was a meme from the get-go

>599 US dollars
>"supergigawhatever processor" (more PowerPC bullshit)

on that note, why do console manufacturers even bother listing hardware specs at all? like what the fuck is the point?

either you A) care about hardware, in which case you would get a PC, or B) you're buying the console because of some exclusive game, or maybe your friends play console, or you're a CODbro chad mongoloid who doesn't understand the significance of the specs anyway. nobody that cares enough about hardware to require a spec sheet would ever choose console gaming because of the hardware
>>
>>383582545
I'm saying not to believe in EA why are you acting like someone is attacking you?
>>
>>383582463
You're way off point but OK.
>>
Gamecube really not that powerful.
Maybe compared to PS2 it looks a bit better.
But if you will look at Gamecube vs Xbox ports, it is really embarrassing. Xbox annihilates gamecube in every way.
>>
>>383582545
because Gamecube was new console and had potential to move copies, 3rd game was deemed not profitable and not released.
>>
>>383582601
*tips fedora*
that said you are not totally wrong
>>
MGS: TTS looked better than MGS2, I was sold on GC>PS2 from there
>>
>sold like shit
>everyone hated it
>"hurr it's overrated"
do you literally not understand the definition of the word
>>
File: 1385190313243.jpg (88KB, 548x618px) Image search: [Google]
1385190313243.jpg
88KB, 548x618px
>>383582649

and a tip fo the ol' feddy-fed-fed to you as well, m'sir
>>
>>383582463
>lack of EA games

Besides fifa past 03 what was it missing?
>>
>>383582601
Because normies think they care about hardware, that's why this entire gen gets marketed as "NEXT-GEN HD 4K 60 FPS GAMEZ" to said retards when they're in reality flatout lying because 99% of console games run at sub 25 fps/900p with dynamic scaling and whatnot.
>>
>RE4
>Metroid Prime
>F-Zero
>Mario Sunshine
>Wind Waker

Gamecube killed it.
>>
>>383582559
I have never seen anyone give the gamecube enough praise by enough people for it to be considered overrated
>>
>>383582495
You're the one who is the dumb shit. PS2's CPU DOES handle graphics and processing. It's specially designed for that. The Emotion Engine has two independent vector units inside of it. Your typical CPU has zero.

Shaders is an inexact and undefined concept in graphics. These days it means "programmable shaders" as in the special hardware inside of a GPU to alter color values per-pixel, but it basically means any way to modify per-pixel color values. The PS2 can do it through sheer brute force since it has 16 pixel pipelines (the best PC hardware at the time had 4 at most) and it has 48 GB/s of eDRAM (about 10 times the speed of the fastest PC VRAM at the time). Brute force shaders baby.
>>
>>383580764
blunderware is a shit engine and burnout is literally the only game on it that looks good
>>
>>383580764
GC suffered of Nintendo Policy Syndrome: proprietary everything and lacking power
>>
>>383582776
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
>>
>>383581659
It's a few posts along from that one.
I'd look for it but I'm phone posting at the minute.
>>
>>383582776
>Gamecube killed it

Killed what? Any chance Nintendo had of leading the market again? That already happened with the N64.
>>
>>383582601
>CELL processor
>It's going to synergize symbiotically with all your Sony devices!
Except no one bought other Sony devices, they only wanted a Call Of Duty-machine
>>
I have a wii with Nintendon't (I can play all gamecube games ever released) and the only games I liked were James Bond 007: Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, Metroid 1 and 2, F-Zero GX and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II

Looking back the Gamecube had one of the worst libraries of all time.
>>383582713
Burnout 3 and Revenge and Need for Speed Most Wanted
>>
>>383582889
>Need for Speed Most Wanted
It was marketed as next-gen game, come on.
Xbox 360 version - best version.
>>
>>383581648
>No reason to port a game to gamecube in two discs
They wouldn't have to, most games back then didn't fill a mini disc.
>>
>>383582761

yeah i guess i was trying to make the point that hardware specs seem like an odd/ineffective marketing strategy since the numbers are lost on the consumers, but when you put it that way it does make sense - nobody understands the numbers but it just sounds good or valuable to the buyers
>>
>>383582830
>>383582846

I was talking about graphically. All those games were among the best that generation had to offer. Obviously the Gamecube couldn't keep up with the Xbox but as far as the PS2 was confirmed Gamecube came out on top. See: the RE4 port.
>>
>>383582791
>It's specially designed for that.
Yea and it's shit at it, being designed for something means shit.
>Your typical CPU has zero
My typical CPU has AVX in it, no need for hardware implementation of FPU when there is already fucking ton of FPU.
>The PS2 can do it through
Yea but it's shit at it compared to GPUs of the day, in fact it's so shit, even voodoo 1 is better.
>>
>>383582989
>All those games were among the best that generation had to offer.
Not really on tech level.
Even Shrek for Xbox more technically advanced game.
>>
>SIMILAR TO A PC IN MANY WAYS BUT SUPERCHARGED TO MAXIMIZE THE GAMING POTENTIAL
>>
>>383582967
I do know but the PS2 version sold pretty well and it wasn't that bad
>>
But then there's no game as good looking as Super Mario Sunshine on PS2.
>>
>>383582604
>>>383582545 (You)
>I'm saying not to believe in EA why are you acting like someone is attacking you?

>Criterion literally said it wasn't.

Are you fucking retarded? You said to just go ahead and believe Criterion without any searching into this. I'm not acting like anyone is attacking me, you just have a shit argument.
>>
>>383583050

Any specific details? A quick glance of the game on Youtube doesn't make for a good first impression, especially compared to RE4 or Prime.
>>
Nintendo is the stupidest company ever. If they released the N64 with cds the could have killed Sony early on
Now they are pretty much a mobile company begging for Ubisoft to make mario games
>>
Burnout 2 on gamecube ran better and looked better than ps2
>>
>>383583169
>Criterion literally said it wasn't.
At least read the thread linked in the image you retard.
>>
>>383583023
>Yea and it's shit at it
It isn't though, which is why Burnout 3 not only didn't come to Gamecube but the PS2 version has more particle effects than even the Xbox version due to the power of Emotion Engine.

>My typical CPU has AVX in it
Not independent of your CPU, just a part of it.

>no need for hardware implementation of FPU when there is already fucking ton of FPU
Top kek, I'd like to see your CPU accelerate modern games if your GPU couldn't do vertex shading.

>in fact it's so shit, even voodoo 1 is better.
PS2's GPU is literally 40 times faster than that
>>
>>383583050

i know shrek is an ironic meme nowadays but that game was legitimately fun

interesting side note it was ported to GC also
>>
>>383583184
>Shaders
>shader water
>dynamic shadows
>big open levels
It was basically doom 3 tech.

And non of this on gamecube port.
>>
>>383582776
>RE4
>killed it
Exactly. GC turned RE series from a survival horror game to a generic 3rd person shooter and ruined the franchise. Also

>Wind Waker
>instead of Twilight Princess
Shit taste.
>>
here owner of N64

1) Memory card can save 2 or 3 games (Mario Kart 64 for instance takes up the space of the entire memory card)

2) Expansion pak that does nothing but increase pic quality at the cost of frame rate.

3) Controller horrible quality. Controller don't last more than 6 months because of analog cheap plastic design that was never updated

4) 8~24mb cartridges. Result: mono sound in AWFUL 32kbps with endless loop (every racing game and Tony Hawk is mono and 30 second loop)
>>
>>383583229
The PS2 ran just about everything the worse because it was a piece of shit hardware wise and a nightmare on par with the PS3 to develop for.

The only reason it had games was because developers thought they could automatically make a killing because of how popular it was.
Then it came to bit the smaller ones in the ass.
>>
>>383583292
>Not independent of your CPU, just a part of it.
It's an Opcode
>Top kek, I'd like to see your CPU accelerate modern games if your GPU couldn't do vertex shading.
https://youtu.be/lN5mxFfkr7g?t=385
Have a look, shit is pretty fucking fast at 10 times the PS2 resolution.
>>
Gamecube is one of my fav consoles construction wise. Durable and thiccc. Hard as nails. A block of fun. Handle is great. Everything is just so satisfying and "tactile" about the whole thing. The way the disc lid clicks, the way the controller ports lock into place, those high quality premium tier power and reset buttons man just a joy to press. It just feels so high end but its a goofy purple lunch box at the same time.

Meanwhile over here on the PS4Pro you can't even see the power and eject """buttons""" and you don't push them down so much as jab your finger in the general vacinity until you hear a beep. Everytime you move the system its creaking and cracking and the disc drive makes the HRHRHRH noise while half the time missing your disc. What a piece of shit.
>>
>>383583292
>which is why Burnout 3 not only didn't come to Gamecube but the PS2 version has more particle effects than even the Xbox version due to the power of Emotion Engine.
Actually the reason it didn't come to the gamecube is because of complications within the company.
>>
No, just because one developer is retarded and doesn't know how to design for the system doesn't mean that the system itself was bad for the time. PS2 ran basically every multiplat way fucking worse than GC or Xbox, devs just chose PS2 as a base because install base and more space than GC's fucking retarded decision to use tiny disks.
>>
>>383583442
>2) Expansion pak that does nothing but increase pic quality at the cost of frame rate.
i see somebody never played indiana jones and the infernal machine
>>
>>383583623
1 or 2 games didn't fuck up the frame rate, everything else you had to chose either good graphics in 15fps or bad graphics in 25fps
Perfect Dark is only playable if you turn the high res off otherwise the game will run at 10fps
>>
>>383583623
I never played it, care to elaborate?
>>
>>383583575
>want to turn ps4 off manually because shit controller battery life and too tired to go through cables
>pressing it once does nothing
>holding it down until you hear the beep puts it into rest mode
>holding it down even longer until you hear the second beep
>finally turns off
When did something as simple as an off button get so complicated.
>>
>>383583791
the game runs at a resolution very close to 640x480 while maintaining 30 FPS (almost) all of the time, its about as good as a 5th gen game can get technically
>>
>>383581846
Cold, hard numbers plz
>>
>>383584023
see >>383582251
>>
>>383583613
The operative world there is "multiplat".
Just like the PS3 vs. 360 and the Saturn vs. PS1 (vs. N64) if you have the time and resources to focus on a single platform you can achieve great things. If you have to make something work on all platforms you'll be stuck with a generic engine that relies on the lowest common denominator. Blurry N64 versions of PS1 games, ugly blocky saturn games because of a sloppy remodel from tris to quads, PS3 games that leave all the stream processors empty because the 360 doesn't have an equivalent. The gamecube and Xbox supported shaders so instead of making a vector heavy polygon pusher that suits the PS2, you make a basic one and add shaders to the 2 consoles that can do it.
>>
gamecube was far better than ps2 if for only pso alone.
and as a ps4 owner, id like to make a plea to my fellow sonybros to stop being the most desperate embarrassing fanbase in the world
>>
>>383584336
Never going to happen.
>>
>>383584141
>The gamecube and Xbox supported shaders
Not same shaders.
>>
>>383580764
It was just a nintendo argument. They were really desperate so they used everything to defense that shit.
>>
>>383584529
Actually, the same.
ATi and nVidia had exactly the same shader design back in the day.
>>
>>383582251
ps2 may have had in many ways stronger specs but the emotion engine just like the cell was a bitch to program for so unless the game was truly demanding the gamecube was the better platform to work with if you discount the limited 1.5gb capacity.
>>
>>383584729
Show me gamecube game with bump mapping or dynamic shadows.
Just look at splinter cell on gamecube.
>>
File: roguegoodness3.jpg (131KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
roguegoodness3.jpg
131KB, 640x480px
>>383584789
Literally took me 2 seconds to google.
>>
File: 1458010844678.jpg (115KB, 800x515px) Image search: [Google]
1458010844678.jpg
115KB, 800x515px
>>383580764
No.
>>
>>383584529
Yes, it's pretty interesting though. Xbox supported your typical first-generation PC "programmable" shaders (DirectX 8)

Gamecube had a pixel shader called TEV which was based on older color combiner technology (an early form of pixel shader) but basically a super extreme version of it. N64 had a single stage color combiner, which basically allowed you to take the output of the GPU and modify it once against another color. Gamecube has like a 16-stage version of this color combiner. It's not really "programmable" but it means you can combine colors up to 16 times in one game, and it can do some things Xbox cannot. TEV can read textures 8 times in a series of combines, while Xbox's pixel shader can only read textures 4 times.
>>
>>383584867
That isn't DOT3 bump mapping though. Just your typical normal maps.
>>
>>383584789
>>383584867
bee tee eff oh
>>
>>383584867
See -> >>383584880

You can't just easily port xbox shaders to gamecube. And nobody done it, in every multiplat game - they just cut out shaders.

Exclusive game, which take advantage over console hardware? Nice pic.
>>
>>383584874
>Nintenbabby thinks that drawing a bunch of untextured green triangles is technically impressive
wahahahahahaha
>>
>>383584982
normal map is DOT3, meaning 3 layers.
>>
>>383580764
No, the 360 is.
>>
>>383585097
What you wanted to say "It has different implementation of Shaders"
When you said "not the same shaders" i assumed you meant hardware wise.

Yes, Xbox and GC had different implementation that is not even up for debate, DX is MS exclusive.
>>
File: Clouds1-3_normal.png (113KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Clouds1-3_normal.png
113KB, 256x256px
>>383584867
That's not a true normal map (in the modern sense).
>>
>>383585147
Sorry I mixed up my terms. Meant regular bump maps as opposed to normal maps.
>>
>>383583853
you need to turn off a console to replace battery of a controller? ROFL
>>
>>383584729
>ATi and nVidia had exactly the same shader design back in the day.
retardalert.png
>>
>>383585118
>Untextured
Minimal and simplistic textures? Yes. Untextured? No. Just look at the god damn pic, you mongoloid.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (154KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
154KB, 1920x1080px
You know who else worked at Criterion?

<- This guy

I really wouldn't take any words Criterion has to say with any validity.
>>
>>383585729
two fucking tone simplistic surface like that could be achieved with gouraud shading, dont even need to texture
>>
>>383585957
But that would mean, more polygons, something they can't afford.
This grass is 2 triangles with 2 textures, alpha and colour per 4/8 grass.
If it was just polygon, it would mean one triangle per grass stock.
>>
>>383581376

They're either wrong or lying. As someone that only had a PS2 growing up I can safely say it was the weakest of the four consoles in its gen.
>>
>>383580764
kek this retarded payed comment makes me glad criterion died

burnout 3 was their last great game anyways
>>
>>383586107
>They're either wrong or lying. As someone that only had a PS2 growing up...
Yes, I'm sure your anecdotes are more valuable than the professional opinion of an experienced lead programmer of one of the world's most technically advanced gaming studios. He's GOT to be lying.

I mean there's NO way Nintendo could have produced an underpowered console...right?
>>
>>383582254
>the don't know shit about these consoles specs to the point where I actually believed that.

People like me are this thread's target audience?
>>
GameCube specs
http://www.gamecubicle.com/system-gamecube-specs.htm

PlayStation 2 specs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications

I have no idea how to actually compare this or the benefits/drawbacks of custom hardware like the Emotion Engine.
>>
>>383584789
RE4 had dynamic shadows on GC, which were lacking on the PS2 port. All the dynamic lighting was removed from PS2 because it couldn't run it.
>>
>>383585957
Damn you're retarded. Look at the picture.
>>
>>383586636
>All the dynamic lighting was removed from PS2 because it couldn't run it.
The dynamics lights were designed for Gamecube's TEV pixel shader. Capcom were just too time constrained to convert them for PS2.
>>
>>383586269
>I'm sure your anecdotes are more valuable than the professional opinion of an experienced lead programmer of one of the world's most technically advanced gaming studios.
Are you talking about the guy who's being quoted in OP's image?
Because I have bad news for you.
>>
>>383587074
>ninbaby still self-deluded
>>
>>383584874
ok but post a technically impressive game not made by ninty on the cube
>>
>>383587215
>he still hasn't read the discussion
This guy is the "it just works" of the sixth gen.
>>
>>383587424
>no evidence to support his so-called claims
>>
>>383587608
Except for that thread.
>>
>>383587640
which part of the thread? it's a trillion pages long
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.