[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an RPG that treats your alignment like a background

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: harry-potter-custom.jpg (1MB, 1500x1210px) Image search: [Google]
harry-potter-custom.jpg
1MB, 1500x1210px
Is there an RPG that treats your alignment like a background and reflects how some characters treat you?
>>
>>383571414
That image is all kinds of retarded and stupid as to how it managed to get almost all of those fucking wrong. Like god damn fuck whoever was stupid enough to thing that the shit they chose to put on it made any actual senses with those fucking alignments.
>>
>>383571545
A couple of them are alright

Filch is as LN as it gets, and that quote is pretty spot-on for NE
>>
>>383571545
they're all pretty accurate actually but the image is inherently faggy and cringy for several reasons
>>
>>383573582

How the fuck is Snape true neutral?
>>
>Alignment
>Doing anything

That's not how it works
>>
>>383573656
Does not adhere to laws or traditions and is strictly in the game for his own reasons. He'll do what he needs to do to complete his mission, regardless of laws or other people.

He does not wish to instill order or incite chaos, he simply wishes to complete his own (very persona) self appointed task.
>>
>>383571650
>literally advocates for the torture of children as punishment for tracking mud indoors
>Neutral
fucking wot
>>
>>383573656
i guess i'll hand you that snape MIGHT fit better neutral good but true neutrals the next best and neutral good fits harry better than it does snape

>>383573807
he's got some interesting opinions but hes ceretainly lawful, and hes also not good or evil, so lawful neutral it is
>>
>>383573767

That's not what neutral is.
>>
>>383573894
>i guess i'll hand you that snape MIGHT fit better neutral good but true neutrals the next best
True neutrals literally try to balance good and evil, and lawful and chaotic. He wasn't trying to do that. He was trying to be a sleeper agent against evil, but that didn't make his natural orientation true neutral.
>>
>>383573803
Snape, the guy who was a nazi of his own accord for a good decade before he began working for the other side. The guy who started working for the other side because he was angry his boss killed the woman he wanted to fuck but never managed it because he called her a nigger and she didn't tolerate that shit. The guy who looked at a girl whose (already very prominent) teeth had grown past her collar and said "I see no difference". The guy who bullied his waifu's son for 6 years because he was jealous that his own school bully had gotten to impregnate his waifu instead of him. That guy? Yeah you're right he's a fucking saint, better move him to neutral good.
>>
>>383573990
i suppose, it's hard to say he fits any other alignment up there more than the character already in it though. what alignment would you stick him as and who would take his place? i'm thinking neutral good or lawful good but harry and hermione fit it better
>>
>>383573951
Yes it is.
>>
File: 1486238040300.png (186KB, 457x303px) Image search: [Google]
1486238040300.png
186KB, 457x303px
>>383574098
we talking about his past or present personality here, buddy? i don't think you seem to get it; this image is for how the characters act in the books, not in their lore at some point in the past. during the books he was DEFINITLEY good. by all means though, keep trying to impress 4chan virgins with your harry potter knowledge.
>>
>>383574128
>i suppose, it's hard to say he fits any other alignment up there more than the character already in it though.
More than one character in a series can be the same alignment. Also, a series does not necessarily have a character that fits into every alignment. You don't have to dilute the definitions in order to force the alignment chart to have someone in every spot. If nobody fits True Neutral, you could put a rock or that Tree that attacked anything that moved into the True Neutral spot.
>>
>>383573990
>He was trying to be a sleeper agent against evil
He was a sleeper agent against the guy who killed his waifu. You can make the argument that Snape wasn't evil, but there's not way he was altruistic enough to be good.
>>
>>383574306
yeah i guess i'm just defending the image cause people were railing on it but it would look retarded to have two characters in the same box. in the context of the series though i'd put him as neutral good along with mr pot
>>
>>383574352
this is a good argument desu so i'm not so sure about this >>383574369 anymore
>>
>>383574305
How he acts in the books is like a goddamn cockbag even though in the early books he has no incentive to behave like anything other than his true self, and in the later books he's supposed to be pretending to be a double agent feeding information about Harry and Dumbledore to Voldemort you fucknut. None of that is even "in the lore" it's the main focus of the text when it comes up.
>>
Fuck alignment. It's a complete cancer that has stagnated RPGs by slotting characters' value systems into specific holes and is inferior to letting individuals and groups have direct opinions of your actions and otherwise being done with that, with any kind of magic or spiritual elements which tally up your goodness of badness being kept track of in themselves.

It prevents characters from changing themselves naturally except via extraordinary means.

>>383573582
D&D morality is faggy
>>
>>383574352
He's definitely one or the other, not Neutral. He makes no attempt to balance his actions, and he isn't ignorant of good and evil.

I think you could make a better argument that he was evil, as he followed Snape until Snape killed his waifu, and then turned to vengance. Just because an inherently evil person aligns themselves with good doesn't make them Neutral.
>>
>>383574546
he acts like a dick to harry but that doesn't make him evil that makes no fucking sense. he's a good boy and he was helping fight voldy, and wound up dying for that cause
>>
>>383571545
Congrats for your first bait image. Welcome to /v/. That's how we get replies here.
>>
>>383573767
Then he is neutral evil judging by your description. True neutrals are crazy people
>>
>>383571414
why the fuck is black chaotic good? You cant call voldemort neutral either, he tortured and murdered for no actual reason
>>
>>383574547
>is inferior to letting individuals and groups have direct opinions of your actions and otherwise being done with that, with any kind of magic or spiritual elements which tally up your goodness of badness being kept track of in themselves.
having alignments doesn't stop anyone from doing that, even though it does happen
>>
>>383574760
>he acts like a dick to harry
He acts like a dick to everyone. That's his natural setting. Just because a goblin tried to stab a dragon that tried to take over the world doesn't make that goblin not evil, same with Snape. He's a dickbag who got pissed off by a bigger dickbag who threatened the world and wound up on the good guys' side because of it.
>>
>>383571414
sirius black is the best character in hp fuck the rest.
>>
>>383575136
He was written well, but that does not make him a good person.
>>
>>383575205
I'm not sure you responded to the right person.
>>
>>383574546
>>383575038
He saved Harry from falling to his death though
>>
>>383574772
Don't make me dig up that /tg/ word wall about actual TN being not giving a shit about laws or people you don't care about, but caring about people that are close to you, while TN as it's often thought of as 'kill a bad guy today, kill a good guy tomorrow to maintain balance' is fucking psychotic CE
>>
>>383575281
Because he was his waifu's son, whom he swore to protect as part of his vengeance pact against Voldemort, and to help serve the narrative as a red herring.
>>
>>383573990
>rue neutrals literally try to balance good and evil, and lawful and chaotic
False
Nobody is actively trying to be evil, true neutrals are trying to be good but often fail because they doesnt have strong enough will
Snape fits True Neutral
>>
>>383578147
>true neutrals are trying to be good but often fail because they doesnt have strong enough will
A: wrong
B: Snape doesn't even fit into that. He just finds himself trying to fuck over the guy that happens to be a homicidal maniac because said maniac killed his waifu. The entire time he's an unapologetic ass who makes no attempt to really help anyone unless it furthers his own malicious goals. He's a Neutral (arguably Lawful) Evil.
>>
File: 1453656323224.jpg (1MB, 1588x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1453656323224.jpg
1MB, 1588x2862px
I'm sure there there are a great deal of RPGs that can easily eclipse one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>383579183
this list makes no sense, you cant compare philosophy books like atlas shrugged and 1984 to harry potter and got. yes theyre better books but they seek to achieve different thhings. also leaving out jrrt's novels while including got and hp is utter fallacy
>>
File: 1490255417534.png (241KB, 690x709px) Image search: [Google]
1490255417534.png
241KB, 690x709px
>>383579551
>replying to bait
>>
>>383579183

This pasta will go down in history as the worst pasta ever.
>>
>>383579183
>stretched his legs
Every time
If this had spawned on /tv/, it could just be boiled down to that, and the EYE threads would wind up with even more stale memes spouted by poseurs.
>>
>>383580614
It's actually from Harold Bloom. I suppose that's the sort of immortality a Yale professor doesn't want to receive.
>>
>>383580837

>yale

No wonder it's shit then.
>>
>>383581362
harvard boy are we?
>>
>>383579183
>no Meditations

shit list
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.