[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did open world waste the potential of this game? Let's ignore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 18

File: header.jpg (84KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
84KB, 460x215px
Did open world waste the potential of this game?
Let's ignore the quest marker and following the Witcher Senses for a moment.
White Orchard is probably the best designed location in game, together with Kaer Morhen.
Every quest there is connected to others in one way or another and together they tell one big story of their locations. The atmosphere is very strong in those.
However once the game goes into full open world mode, most of the things get really washed out. Tons of useless stuff to find, barrels in the sea, bandit camps etc.
And the open world is not even really open world to begin with. There are no dynamic or random encounters at least at Skyrim level. It's just a big map with stuff to find. Nothing else. Not much changes on your choices and the world feels really static.
>>
Design depth concessions for cinematic flare,
>>
File: witcher3.jpg (41KB, 530x290px) Image search: [Google]
witcher3.jpg
41KB, 530x290px
>>383567439
game is perfect, anyone who says otherwise needs to learn the combat better or is too stupid to understand the subtle nature of the game.
>>
>>383567439
pretty much
The open world only existed because it would be guaranteed money made from the hype of skyrim
>>
>>383567439
Yeah it boiled down the potential at some level.
>>
>There are no dynamic or random encounters

This, Gwent, and the shitty alchemy system are what I dislike most about this game.
>>
>>383567439
>Did open world waste the potential of this game?
kinda yes, there are too many markers and most people won't give a fuck about them.
World should be much smaller like 50% of all lands. Also most quests are trash due open world and forced batman vision.
>>
>>383568276
alchemy was meh tier but gwent was fun asshole
>>
>>383568276
>can make and consume potions at any time now
It's a step down but it makes things easier for casuals.
>>
i thought it turned out rather well, for an open world game
it did the job better than most other attempts

wouldn't want another in that flavor though
i do like how each title was rather different in scope for the level design, pretty neat to run through them
>>
I feel like they got lost. The open world was doable, but the main story being "saving the world and finding your daughter asap" killed it. It's a plot made more for a linear kind of game.
If they focused more on side stories like Bloody Baron instead, then maybe something would come out of it.
>>
>>383568392
I was referring more to the "meditate and use alcohol to restock literally every potion you have" mechanic.
>>
>>383568392
You say this alarmingly casually.
>>
>>383568385
Eh. It felt really luck-based. And it didn't make much sense how Geralt would ask merchants or blacksmiths to play instead of going to a tavern to play with random people there.
>>
>>383568385
gwent was fun few times, but most of the time it was frustrating due p2w nature - npc has better cards? then he will win every time, after a while same happening to you, game starts too hard and after you get good deck there is no challenge since you will always win no matter what.
>>
>>383567439
a lot of things wasted the "potential" of this game, but honestly i don't think potential is a good word. when everything is done wrong from the ground up, the potential was effectively the budget. i'd have done something else with that budget.

it's a bad game, no matter how many 100/100s it gets from an industry desperate to have games be considered big boy stuff.
>>
>>383568276
Gwent actually saved this game and made it worth all the GOTYs and reviews.
Without it the game would be mostly a boring combat and Batman senses shit.
But i agree that alchemy is a total mistake and the most casualized crafting i've seen in any game.
Potions basically fill themselves once you craft them. There is no room for experiments (in previous parts, game had few chemical elements, each alchemical ingredient had some combination of them and by mixing them you could create a potion).
Also during combat there is no animation, you just spam potions, food and drink which is IMO retarded.
In W1 you had animation for everything so you could try to drink a potion mid-combat but it was a huge risk, how it should be to be honest.
W2 messed this up with menus being a fucking chore.
First game got it perfectly. You were allowed to consume stuff mid-combat but it was a huge risk, instead it rewarded being prepared before the fight.
>>
>>383567439
Yes. What really hurt was how tiny Oxenfurt is and how it's three minutes travel on horseback from Novigrad. That completely ruined the atmosphere of the game for me.

I think the game would have been better if they had taken a semi-open approach like the Stalker series.
>>
>>383568703
Basically this. The game opens with a simple tutorial game to teach you the basics, then you play the guy in the palace and most likely get your ass handed to you to show how powerful decks can be. After that, it's basically a crapshoot because until you really start looking for cards and building your deck, you will almost always be at a disadvantage against everyone.
>>
>>383568392
You could consume potions mid combat in the first game, though there was a lengthy animation to do so.

You did need to meditate to make potions though and that shouldn't have changed. The alcohol restocking everything is part casualisation and part to excuse lazy map design as they no longer need to ensure you always have a means of making new potions for the next fight.
>>
File: poker.jpg (307KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
poker.jpg
307KB, 1920x1080px
>>383568703
It's again fault of the open world.
What made Dice Poker in W1 so great was the progression and that with each act you were facing more and more challenging enemies.
You started with simple peasants and dumb guards, the moved to amateur players, then some more known and better gambler, ultimately moving your path to playing against aristocracy for big sums only to end playing against King Foltest himself which could even double the amount of money you had collected by then.
In W3 Gwent can be only always played for the same amount of money (which is 100 at most IIRC), no matter if it's peasant, some Scoia'Tael member or some rich noble from Novigrad. And they all have weird decks, a simple poorfag from some village can have best cards in the game.
There is no sense of progress, at least not as strong as in W1 with poker.
>>
File: spyvsspy.png (80KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
spyvsspy.png
80KB, 256x256px
>>383568703
>npc has a spy deck and so do you

Shit got fucking crazy.
>>
>>383568538
Come again famalam?
>>
>>383569257
For real. What's the point of having all these plants in the world when it's far easier just to buy them from an herbalist? And you get mutagens for decoctions from monster killing anyway, so that's a non-issue.
>>
File: 1459238317555.jpg (370KB, 873x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459238317555.jpg
370KB, 873x700px
>>383567439
LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY LEY
>>
>>383567439
I liked TW2. TW3 just sucked overall. It wasn't just that it was open world, it just wasn't interesting. The story and combat sucked.
>>
>>383569457
W3 had shit tier economy and balance.
>>
>>383567439
Yes. Open world is a marketing meme.
>>
File: 1397158699923.jpg (50KB, 450x455px) Image search: [Google]
1397158699923.jpg
50KB, 450x455px
>>383569292
good points, imho cards would be better suited for collectibles on scenic views (exploration of the map) in addition for being won in games and bought - CDProjekt tried to "patch" gwent but they went so overboard its standalone now taking notes from Heartstone and the aiming to the casual gamer - they originaly wanted it to be like that ingame but you know sex scenes and stuff need to be made so it is what it is. Its still a nice minigame if you switch up your deck alot and don't rush it in game
>>
File: 1401432176143.jpg (77KB, 359x474px) Image search: [Google]
1401432176143.jpg
77KB, 359x474px
>>383569546
>I liked TW2. TW3 just sucked overall.

Woah man wake and bake was a mistake today
>>
>>383569546
>Enter combat
>Cast Quen
>Attack
>Block
>Dodge heavy attack
>Repeat until you win

RIVETING COMBAT
>>
>>383569837
>>383569457
>that fight early in the witcher 2 against 3 different knights
>first version of the game where you had a fucking meter to be able to block (???)

You know, it only ended up the way it did because of bad design, but it has to be the one time in history that bad design led to huge fun. That fight against the 3 different knights is almost impossible in the first version of the game before any patches, i had to play it for like 4 hours to win.
>>
>>383570027
Ten hours in and I still don't get the fucking Adrenaline Point system.
>>
>>383570340
>adrenaline points
>potions
>oils
>light dodge
>heavy dodge
>magic with weird useless names that you can't remember

wow it's almost like just adding more things to to a combat system makes it worse
>>
>>383568309
Is this a book a about a pubescent boy riding around his horse around Wyoming, killing monsters from Native American folklore and fucking MILF witches?
>>
>>383570416
>magic with weird useless names that you can't remember
The only signs that I use are Quen (shield) and Igni (fire). Yrden (slowdown) is only useful for wraiths. Axii shouldn't be a combat sign at all.
>>
>>383570809
every time i talk about this game all i can hear is the combat music where it goes ALLAEYLAEYLAYLAYLEYLEYLELAYLE

AYLEYLALEYLAYLAYLEYLEYL
>>
>>383570896
>Fighting a wolf
>"How ya like that silver?"
>>
>>383570994
Hmm. (monster name) tracks. Blood. Must've (event)
>follow giant yellow highlight 15 feet
Tracks stop here. Ah, an (item)
>huge flashing neon sign appears with an arrow pointing at the ground 22 centimeters in the distance
Hmm. Proof of (event, creature, person's demise). Better take this back to (questgiver).

10000/100 GOTY ALL YEARS THAT EVER HAVE/EVER WILL EXIST
>>
>>383568780
>Gwent actually saved this game
Why did people like this card game? I didn't play the standalone (which is supposed to be much better) but holy shit the one in the base game is so fucking shit. I don't know who designed it but never played a CCG in his life for sure.

>have to get cards from better decks so ultimately you have to luck it out at least in the beginning
>and you lose them in NG+ so there is no reason to invest playing except if you want to get achievements
>barely any tactics at all
>so many problematic rules there is literally one way to build a deck and if you have the necessary cards you destroy everything
>every card cost the same
>EVERY CARD COSTS THE SAME
I love W3 but this gwent triggered me so much.
>>
>>383571218
You know, the first time that happened, it was really cool. It felt awesome gathering clues and hearing Geralt verbally piece together what had happened. After the eighth time, it became a bit boring.
>>
File: 1397649479249.jpg (164KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
1397649479249.jpg
164KB, 800x551px
>>383571374
>not switching to polish/german/russian language for each region

Its like you don't know options exist
>>
>>383571374
i played the game like 10 hours and dropped it. it's remarkable how accurate my little re-enactment is, isn't it?

i thought it was lame as fuck the first time though i could see how you enjoyed it. to me the highlighting shti with yellow just completely and totally ruins it. yes, I would rather have the game literally force me to crawl around and look for shit.
>>
File: 1426716541388.png (94KB, 396x395px) Image search: [Google]
1426716541388.png
94KB, 396x395px
Why did it take until the DLC for bosses to become somewhat interesting?
>>
I think the...well the look, the visual, the detail of the open world was the best thing in the game.

But yea it wasn't utilised properly at all, from gameplay or story standpoints.

I would prefer if the game was like Witcher 1, five different chapters with big hub worlds, they could have had more diverse locations, proper balancing , non artificial exploration, and maybe even the story would have better pacing and would make more sense
>>
>>383571562
I dunno I quit the game when Jenny o' the woods a special quest monster killed me every single time despite me being 5 levels higher and playing as hard as i could with all the oils and shit
>>
I also believe Open World is one of the reasons why batman vision and quest markers were necessary. Otherwise the player would just get lost.
>>
File: 1397734803027.gif (2MB, 352x384px) Image search: [Google]
1397734803027.gif
2MB, 352x384px
>>383571510
>not disabling the trail of crumbs
>not disabling the UI

Remind me how often you perma failed a quest. If you enjoy figuring shit out lots of quests just end randomly without any resolution but hey if thats your thing go for it. The poison wraith in the tower is a perfect example of how players think they mastered the games mechanics only for it to throw a curveball
if you played the game maybe you'd realize that but hey don't mind me
>>
>>383571686
you need to slow her down with the magic trap
>>
>>383567439
>White Orchard is probably the best designed location in game, together with Kaer Morhen.
Both of them are open worlds though
Also
>not naming tussaint as most coherent area
nigga... but it gets worse
>And the open world is not even really open world to begin with. There are no dynamic or random encounters at least at Skyrim level
Open world isn't defined by random encounters.
>the world feels really static.
Which is the point. Too many games try to create sandbox of escapism and "you can climb that mountain". TW3 focuses on a static but believable enviroment that isn't just a bunch of random camps and villages
>>
>>383571510
What killed It for me was that if you didnt follow the tracks from the start you couldnt see the other tracks, this led to me running about for 10 mins looking for tracks that suddenly appeared only After i went back to the start and examinated the first Blood puddle
>>
>>383571226
Because it's just a fucking minigame you idiot?
It was never supposed to be complex or a full blown CCG that would be able to compete with HS.
>>
>>383568703
>>383569292
literally, LITERALLY git gud material right here. I switched over to hard gwent difficulty before I left white orchard and never had any issues.
I cant believe that even a simple game like gwent gave you faggots trouble.
>>
>>383571686
>Wild At Heart
>Level 7 quest
>Be level 5
>Only have starting swords and upgraded starting chest armor because I hadn't explored that much
>Werewolf fight
>It starts healing
>Pop Thunderbolt
>Not enough damage per strike to outdamage the heal
>Try Igni
>Nope
>Heals itself back up to full health

I literally could not kill this fucking thing. Every bit of damage I did was healed back in a second.
>>
>>383571752
i know, i did, i got tired enough of fighting them that i quit the game. they made the game not fun to play. the fights arent fun.
>>
>>383571710
I don't continue playing games that aren't fun and fail in their basic duties to the genre (finding weapons and armor is fun in an rpg)

it's a normie game for normies. the mechanics aren't fun or enjoyable so mastering them isn't interesting.
>>
>>383567439
Yes. Open world was a waste of resources and it ruined the story.
>>
>>383568703
My main issue with Gwent was how much it broke the immersion...Some medieval peasants are playing with cards that look like they came out of a 2015 nerd gameshop, and all the characters are from Geralts adventures give me a break

It could have still worked, if for example everyone treated them like ordinary cards but once you get in the gwent game they turn into modern cards

But then they have quests where you need to steal rare cards Kiera card or something, and you don't know what Ciri looks like yet shes printed on a card with modern printer ink

fail
>>
>>383571760
>Open world isn't defined by random encounters
No, but random encounters can help the game to feel more alive. It'd be nice if you could randomly come across a trade caravan that got attacked by Ghouls or something every now and again.
>>
>>383572068
I really don't understand it at all , so much detail went into making the locations feel as authentic as possible, then they place some goofy looking modern playing cards on the tables and on the floor
>>
>>383572068
I love how there's one guy at the beginning playing Gwent in a tavern. Everyone else you can play against is a merchant, innkeep, or blacksmith. Like, fuck off dude, they're trying to earn a living, here.
>>
>>383571781
But then what do people like in it? Why has it so many useless rules and mechanics? 90% of the cards are completly unbalanced. They could have just put in a blackjack with character portraits. It is a complete shitfest until you have enough spy cards, because card advantage destroys everything. Monster-Elf-Skellige deck is useless and not worth playing for a second.
I can't understand what people liked it in so much they make a standalone game out of it.
>>
>>383571949
I hated that fight for the exact opposite reason, i got to him and thought to myself :"wow i bet this Is just like that striga fight, i bet that if i stall him until morning he Will turn human and i can learn Who he Is but if i kill him i get bad ending ,wowese guys are Crazy geniuses for making a low level quest a throwback ti witcher 1" then i found out that i only have to spam attack and healing with no thought given to strategy, from that point on i just gave up any hope and played It straight
>>
>>383572612
They made a Gwent standalone game?

...why
>>
File: hope.png (185KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
hope.png
185KB, 500x644px
>>383569317
>you anticipated this and you have decoy and resurrect cards to use his spies against him
>in the dlc the developers realized this and spy decks also have these cards
>>
You nailed it. Open World is trash design and it's the sole reason why The Witcher 3 sucks.
>>
File: why did they make this game.jpg (96KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why did they make this game.jpg
96KB, 1920x1080px
>>383572729
>>
>>383572717
I didn't like how when you do the noonwraith quest in White Orchard, you get the bestiary entry so you kinda know what to expect/prep for, but in this one you don't get the entry until AFTER the fight, even though Geralt knows without a doubt that he's dealing with a werewolf.
>>
>>383572323
I love how they look at you when you ask them to play
>How about a game of cards? Gwent specifically
>Take your sword and just end It faggot
>>
>>383572729
Because by the official statement "people liked it so much".

You can try the beta fro free. I watched a few videos, they changed almost every rule (as they should) especially the card drawing mechanics, now you can't gain unstoppable advantage by spamming spies.
>>
>>383572962
The witcher 3 isn't open world so I fail to see how something that doesn't apply to the game is the reason it sucks

the reason it sucks is because every single thing about the gameplay is bad and not fun
>>
File: 1497227794742.jpg (40KB, 600x485px) Image search: [Google]
1497227794742.jpg
40KB, 600x485px
We gotta stretch shit out, man. I want objectives to be 10000 miles apart from each other. Just grab all the content and spread it as thin as possible. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle, that's my kinda shit.
It's just so realistic and immersive, which is exactly how I determine the quality of my video games.
>>
>>383573014
Isn't Hearthstone basically THE fantasy card game, though? Are they trying to compete with it?
>>
File: 1450832361469.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1450832361469.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
>>383573054
Yeah who needs immersion and realism and choices
not you mang
>>
>>383567439
Yeah
The open world gameplay elements themseloves were really poorly designed and felt like a rushed afterthought
Stuff like mostly randomized loot, absurd damage penalties on higher leveled enemies, magic sight for quest completion, and so on
>>
>>383573180
You can have immersion, realism and choices without turning your game into open world garbage.

Arguing for open world is like arguing that meditation must be real-time based and you actually have to wait 8 real life time hours for Geralt to be done with brewing and resting, because it's more realistic that way.
>>
This game is great
The random encounter in skyrim were just like eveything else in it.
The only flaws with the witcher 3 is movement and the witcher sense
Also does anyone know a fix for the first fucking wolf gear quest on ps4?
>>
File: 1445548863506.jpg (646KB, 957x1291px) Image search: [Google]
1445548863506.jpg
646KB, 957x1291px
>>383573448
>ps4

I-I'm so sorry.
>>
>>383572729
CDPR are hacks and they rode on the bandwagon.
Gwent standalone is a shit game.
>>
File: 1471301049460.png (83KB, 440x508px) Image search: [Google]
1471301049460.png
83KB, 440x508px
>difficulty goes straight downwards into the ditch even on the hardest difficulty
>not even very good at ARPGs, TW3 was pretty much the first of its kind for me (hadn't even played DS1 when I played TW3), still beat most bosses, including the last one which I felt was egregious, on the first try
>enemy upscaling doesn't even really make a difference, except that it basically breaks a few encounters like the djinn and the rat packs
>>
>>383573728
>enemy upscaling
Has this ever worked in any game?
>>
>>383574207
Good question
>>
File: 1498908475305.jpg (16KB, 382x341px) Image search: [Google]
1498908475305.jpg
16KB, 382x341px
What mods should I be using before starting up Witcher 3? Should I just do the 4k file tweaking or do I get Super Turbo lighting mod or the HD reworked project mod?
>>
I want witcher 1 that looks like witcher 3
>>
>>383567439
White Orchard is the MGSV: Ground Zeroes of Witcher
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.