[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use subtitles in games with English voice acting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: SubtitledStillSpectre.jpg (27KB, 680x340px) Image search: [Google]
SubtitledStillSpectre.jpg
27KB, 680x340px
Do you use subtitles in games with English voice acting?
>>
Yes. I find some dialogue hard to hear.
>>
Yeah, sometimes they'll talk too fast or the SFX will be too loud.
>>
No. For the same reason I disable minimaps and such. I can already hear what's going on, I can already see it, I don't need things cluttering my view. I want to see those graphics.
>>
>>383562398
Yes because I'm not a native english speaker and it helps learn the language
>>
>>383562398
> not playing every game with subtitles on
>>
>>383562398
Yeah. I learned English that way and now it kinda stuck
>>
Yeah because audio can be unreliable
>face character 20 feet away, dialogue is perfectly audible
>turn away from character right next to you, dialogue is practically mute
>>
>>383562492
I want Schrodinger to fuck me
>>
File: Schrödinger.full.816579.jpg (365KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Schrödinger.full.816579.jpg
365KB, 2700x1800px
>>383563267
No lewdness please.
>>
what's with all the Schrodinger faggotry recently?
>>
Almost never, except I recently did with Horizon: Zero Dawn because I couldn't make out what they were saying otherwise. Maybe I just need to sort out the levels on my TV.
>>
>>383562398

>Use English (UK) subtitles for American games since I can't understand their bastardisation of the language

Who else does this?
>>
>>383562398
Yes, because:

-Sometimes I play with low or no sound, and I still may need to know what is going on.
-Things stick in my head better read than heard.
-Most voice acting is still awful to me, and honestly would feel better without 95% of the time since it slows down exposition doling out.
>>
Yeah, partially because I've got shit hearing and sometimes I just need them and partially because I watch so much weebshit that not having subtitles on the bottom of the screen feels kinda weird.

I remember back when Pacific Rim came out our theater only had a closed caption version up for some fucking reason. Seemed odd but once you got into the movie it just kinda worked since it was a kaiju flick anyway. Don't know why but this thread reminded me of that. Good times.
>>
>>383562710

This. I also don't have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system, so I don't trust the way audio is mixed for stereo devices and I don't wanna miss dialogue.
>>
>>383563860
Can you name an American game that features English subtitles regionalized (or regionalised, if you prefer) to UK English. I don't want to call you a liar, but...
>>
>>383562398
Not a native speaker so yeah
>>
I turn them on so I can read the line and skip to the next one in a quarter of a second rather than waiting for some hobo they pulled off the street to mumble it out over 30 seconds.
>>
>>383562398
Yes, especially if there is non-cutscene dialogue.
It lets me make out indecipherable speech and overcome shitty audio rules, and if I don't like a character's performance, I can read their shit then move on.
>>
>>383562704
This.

Also, audio mixes can sometimes be so shitty you absolutely need them. Why take the risk.
>>
yes because my hearing is not good
>>
>>383562545
>learning a dying language.
>>
>>383567596
>posting in a dying language
>>
Before I got my 5.1 system yes, but now no, since most games are mixed for surround.
>>
>>383567596
>Being retarded
>>
>>383563860
>being so uncultured you can't understand variations of your own mother language
Way to be a pleb
>>
>>383562398
Yes I do. And it's not because english is my second language, but rather because sometimes audio would go too low or characters would mumble something important and I usually like to pay attention to these sort of things.
>>
>>383566249
This. Bethesda is very guilty of this.
>>
>>383562398
Never used to, but since diversity casting means weird accents in every game nowadays and I've always struggled with accents, I find I miss some words if I don't now.
>>
Not usually. I really dislike when there's subtitles/captioning for stuff that you're not really meant to hear well. (Like distant screams or whatever)

>>383562710

I don't understand how devs release shit like this and think it's fine.

Reminds me of the PS2 era when games didn't have separate volume sliders for SFX/voices and music so the SFX would drown out the voices.
>>
>>383562398
It happens.
>>
>>383562398
The people who make video game cutscenes are often completely oblivious to one of film's cardinal rules: Dialogue must ALWAYS be louder than background music and background noise UNLESS the scene is about one of the characters being drowned out by such (for example, a man can't hear his girlfriend at a concert because the band is too loud).
I often find myself lowering the music and noise in games or raising voice volume for this exact reason.
>>
Can /v/ diagnose what I have?
For nearly all music the instrumentals and vocals just blend together and even when I focus I can't pick up vocals at all but this sort of blending makes everything sound super fucking ugly. This is typically present in rap, rock, metal, and most kinds of pop (but your sort of bubblegum pop is somewhat safe from it)
>>
>>383562398
>Playing Nier
>Turn off subtitles
>Get to dessert
>Can't understand mask people during cutscenes because they speak a different language
>Turn on subtitles
>Language is now translated in cutscenes

but if I play Bayonetta and turn off the subtitles, they'll still turn up if one of the angels starts speaking Latin (or whatever the fuck they're speaking) so that I can actually understand what the fuck is going on.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.