[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One-Punch Man Game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: Saitama.png (848KB, 600x779px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama.png
848KB, 600x779px
Not sure if this belongs here or on /a/. If I'm on the wrong board, please feel free to tell me to fuck off.

So I was wondering about the possibility of a One-Punch Man game. For those of you who don't know (read: have been living under a rock the past year and a half or so), One-Punch Man is a manga and anime series satirizing typical fighting shounen series such as Dragonball Z and Naruto, with the twist that the main protagonist, Saitama, is already so incredibly powerful that he defeats anyone he comes up against with one punch - hence the series' name. The series focuses on Saitama's struggle to find an opponent that will actually be a challenge for him to defeat.

I was wondering about the possibility of a One-Punch Man game based upon the series. While this seems rather difficult due to Saitama's ability to instakill any foe with a single punch, I think I have a potential solution, and would like to hear some feedback - both positive as well as constructive criticism.

My idea stems around the concept of base levels being swarms, where Saitama has to slaughter armies of lesser monsters - easily killing them all, while perhaps building up some kind of gauge for his "Serious Punch" that would be an area of effect attack of some sort. After killing hordes of lesser foes, a boss monster would appear, which would have one very specific spot that would have to be punched in order to kill, and in order to get to said spot, the player would have to make their way to that location - while fighting off further waves of lesser monsters - until they can reach the weak spot and "one punch" the boss.

The main weakness I see to this gameplay strategy is that it would get boring and repetitive very quickly. Any suggestions for spicing it up would be quite welcome. I am by no means a game designer.
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>383533958
The problem is that the MC is overpowered and there would be no challenge.
I think a opm game would be about playing as the other heroes and holding off the monsters until Saitama comes.
>>
>>383533958
here's a suggestion for you.

you play as Genos. There.
>>
>>383533958
OPM game would be easy to make. Just play as saitama during "dream sequences" where fights monsters that can hurt him (like in episode 1) and during the actual fights you can play as genos or other heroes. His dreams can even have their own subplot if you want
>>
>>383535541
>>383535579
These would work. There are dozens of different heroes to play as. The sad thing is the game would just be another musou since it would fit that type of game.
>>
>>383533958
it's funny that you think you have to tell /v/ what OPM is, but your idea is sound. Fuck the idiots who are so creatively bankrupt that they can't conceive of a way to play as a grossly over-powered character and still have a fun game.

The easiest route is to just not have him kill things in one punch, just say he's holding back for whatever reason, or maybe don't explain it at all and let people deal with it.

But I also like the idea of boiling down a Musou to the core fundamentals - blowing away waves of enemies in a single blow, and it's just about making your way over to where the actual big boss is, to one-shot it. Along the way, Saitama has to stop and get groceries and take care of other mundane shit. Or maybe you have to protect the other, weaker characters. Or put it all on a time limit. Or have the boss enemies throw him across the map (like how Boros kicked him to the moon) and he has to get back to the action.
>>
>>383536157

I was actually toying around with a time limit idea. If you don't stop the big boss monster in a certain time limit, they destroy the city, and it's a game over, that kind of thing.
>>
>>383536320
exactly. The whole drama in OPM is that Saitama is never where he's supposed to be, at least not on time.

Alternatively, just make it a sandbox game - go around being literally invincible and one-shotting everything, as you invent fun new ways to kill villains, sometimes watching the city get destroyed a bit first. Have the other heroes going around doing their own thing, with sub-plots you can help them out with, often just jumping in to kill-steal their big dramatic fight.

All while making enough money through odd jobs to pay the rent and buy video games, of course.
>>
I've seen some really good sounding ideas revolving around playing as non-Saitama characters and basically doing a score attack until he shows up to defeat the big boss of the stage.

I think it'd also be sort of fun to have a career mode where you work your way through the ranks and every so often get involved in battles where you're hopelessly outclassed and you either have to escape or hold out until stronger heroes/Saitama show up.

>>383533958
Sounds sort of like a musou, but where your gauge is an insta-kill.
>>
>>383536157
>>383536320
>got to beat the big monster terrorizing the city, stop a couple of lesser monsters and thugs, save a cat stuck in a tree
ALL BEFORE SATURDAYS SALES END
>>
>>383533958
season 2 when? i don't like reading Japanese colouring books
>>
>>383533958
What about a game where you play as Saitama during his training?
>>
>>383536783
Oh, you could even have a health bar!
Its your suit
It runs out and your naked, kinda like some H game. which is bad cause you need rep and running around naked kinda hurts that. Also you'd have to buy/repair it and you ain't made of money.
>>
>>383537175

An origin story?
>>
>>383533958
The only thing I could see working for a OPM game would be something like Asura's Wrath.
>>
>>383537315
Yeah, although it probably wouldn't be canon. I figure that fighting monsters as Saitama halfway through his training would make it so you could have fun with a super powerful character but still have to monitor your damage intake and whatnot.
>>
>>383536157
> Along the way, Saitama has to stop and get groceries and take care of other mundane shit.

I demand these be done a la No More Heroes 2, just hard cut from a super detailed city to 8-Bit pixel art of him waiting for his laundry to dry or whatever.
>>
Games based on an existing anime barely work unless they are a fighter or a Musou. OPM couldn't work as a Musou because there's not mindless mooks to fight against, as monsters are all very distinct.

So it'd have to be a fighting game. Saitama could work by being a joke character, only getting serious for specials. OPM is about the supporting cast anyways.
>>
Superman deserves a good game long before One Punch Meme should be tackled.

>NUH FUCK OFF WESTERN CAPESHIT
>OPM DESERVES IT MORE BECAUSE IT'S IRONIC AND SATIRE SO THAT MAKES IT OKAY
>>
>>383538516
Are you okay?
>>
>>383537767
This or a type of metal gear rising style game

Where you can work your way into the final slice through / punch
>>
Has there ever been a good Superman game?
>>
>>383538516
Super man is boring shit who always wins because "I'm as strong as I need to be".

OPM is strong, we just haven't witnessed what can beat him yet. We haven't seen it happen yet.

I mean with Super Man, he's the best. At everything. The only thing that hurts him is Magic. Kyrptonite isn't even a weakness, it just nullifies the effects of Sol.
>>
The only way I see it working us as a Dynasty Warriors game where the countless enemies die in one punch.
>>
>>383538757

Confirmed for knowing nothing about Supes.
>>
>>383538725
>>383538634
>>383538516
Superboy Prime >>> Superman
>>
>>383535541
that's one way. Another option that probably doesn't work with Saitama so much, is to fight stylishly before finishing off the enemy. Score based rather than pass/fail.
>>
>>383538757
>OPM is strong, we just haven't witnessed what can beat him yet. We haven't seen it happen yet.

Do you seriously not understand that OPM is a parody, and every single story arc in that manga/show will continue to involve stalling for time with silly/funny situations before one punch man punches somebody once and then doesn't get credit for it, because that's the joke?
>>
>>383538516
Super Man needs to be put to rest, as most of the DC universe. That shit is garbage. All the characters are 5 Year Old tier creations with "He's as strong as he has to be."

>>383538827
>Knowing nothing about Super Man.
Other then that each issue he seems magically stronger then before. At one point he can hardly fight off a bad guy, then in another issue he can suddenly lift an entire sun. Shit is inconsistent.
>>
>>383533958

so basically the sme as a musou then.
>>
>>383538827
Lol

He literally never fucking loses, hes bit my because there's no suspense. Nothing can hurt him so you're not worried about him because unless you inject a nuke into his ass he can't be hurt. That's why he's boring, not because as a character he's I interesting but because there sense of mortal danger.
>>
I'd play a OPM game if the focus was a player created character that has as silly a background as the other heroes, the player character's interaction with Saitama being basically a dogged rival. Good enough that they would normally advance through the Hero Association all the way to the upper echelons of the A rank heroes but not at S rank or Saitama's level. With Saitama being the oblivious guy he is, and the hurdle the player character can't overcome.
>>
>>383539076
He's been beaten down by Zod, Darkseid, Brainiac, Mongol, Luthor, Kalibak, and several others over the run of DC comics. They even address this in one meta issue where a one-off villain says something like "we've constructed this weapon so that it can even hurt you, Superman" and he replies with "why does everyone always say that like it's hard?"
>>
>>383539076

So OPM is boring for the same reasons? I think you're just being contrary for the sport of it. You'll grow out of it eventually.
>>
>>383533958
I heard a cool idea where it's like Animal Crossing, but instead of fishing or picking bugs it's fighting baddies.
>>
>>383538827
>Muh muh muh death of super man!
He was in a coma. He didn't die.
>But he dies is BAtman vs Superman
No. He didn't.

>>383539439
>Beat Down.
>Not actually beaten.

We all know Super Man will always come out on top. That is how it always ends, even if he's in a coma for a few years.
Super Man is a Shit.
>>
>>383533958
game like metal gear rising with Genos when ?
>>
>>383539657
>We all know Super Man will always come out on top. That is how it always ends, even if he's in a coma for a few years.
Whoa it's like he's a...a super hero or something? Yeah why don't we just kill our mainstay characters permanently, forget sales, the "interest" of a hero's demise is way more important.
>>
>>383539806
He's boring and needs to go away, just like Felix the Cat and The Cleveland Show.
>>
>>383539657

And the hero ultimately triumphant is bad because you knew it would happen?
>>
OPM game where you only get to play as Saitama if you suck.
The game is segmented into missions/Disasters. You start as C, B or A Rank heroes depending on the Disaster Level. If you get taken out, you switch to a hero of the same or next higher rank, eventually pulling an S Rank hero if you keep losing. If you somehow fail to complete the mission even with an S Rank, You get to play as Saitama and finish the job effortlessly.

Winning with the C,B,A Rank heroes nets higher score/rewards/whatever, while getting all the way to playing as Saitama incurs a long-term penalty: the permanent removal of a fallen lower rank Hero.
God and Dragon Disasters will start you off with S Rank heroes, so the stakes are different.
Your save file is a persistent one and you play the missions linearly, losing Heroes if you do poorly. Good Ends, Bad Ends and even some branching path missions depending on who and how many heroes are lost.
>>
>>383540115
Well that's your opinion, but people who actually read comic books like Superman. I can't even believe I had this discussion with you in the first place since his "power level" and whether or not he can be beaten isn't even the real point of the character, the real draw of the character is the fact that he has a great inner strength and sense of responsibility that the average person should aspire to. If you want to see that side of the character, go read "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" or "All-Star Superman"
>>
>>383533958

An OPM game would be a score-based action game where you play as a new hero joining the Hero Association and climbing the ranks. How well you perform in various fights determines your score and how fast you rank up but if you take too long to defeat the enemy Saitama eventually shows up and wipes them out instantly, ending the fight.
>>
File: Bushidoblade_boxart.jpg (8KB, 200x191px) Image search: [Google]
Bushidoblade_boxart.jpg
8KB, 200x191px
>>
It would be really fucking easy to make. Just make it the sims and every so often you have to click on a monster to make it go away
>>
>>383533958
I think it'd be cool if they made a game similar ish to xenoverse where you make your own character and start off as a c or d list hero and work your way up the ranks until eventually you have to surpass saitama
>>
File: file.png (396KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
396KB, 600x848px
you play as King and the plot of the game is to trick people into thinking you're powerful
>>
>>383533958
The game could be a slower paced game that focuses more on managing Saitama's awful reputation and personality. Being a superhero is just a hobby, and the game could reflect that. Instead of having traditional beatemup stages, the primary goal is always something else, and situations are set up that the player mechanically finds fighting chumps almost as dull as Saitama does, but the game makes you feel good for doing the right thing even when it backfires.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.