[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The difference between a sandbox game and an open world game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: gothic 2.jpg (64KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
gothic 2.jpg
64KB, 360x500px
The difference between a sandbox game and an open world game is the difference between Elder Scrolls and Gothic.
>>
good post
>>
open world game can be either just open world or open world and sandbox

the latter is usually shit

it's explained well in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYrALStucs
>>
TES is a open world sandbox series.
Try again.
>>
>>383522148
fuck off with your shitty video autistic nerd
>>
>>383522305
TES isn't sandbox

it has quests and the main questline, which gives you a direction. You can explore the world and choose to do quest in any order, but it still has a sense of direction.

Games that give you all the tools play with and no objectives are sandbox games, like minecraft, 7 days to die etc.
>>
>>383522474
fuck off neo/v/
>>
>>383522148
Is 7 Days to Die open world or sandbox?

The map is finite but it's enormous for one person and there's no goal beyond survival.
>>
>>383522697
How would that not be a sandbox then?
>>
>>383522607
truly pathetic
>>
>>383522697
It's open world sandbox

A game can be just open world or both open world sandbox

If a game is open world that doesn't mean it's a sandbox.

TES, Gothic, The Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma are all open world games but they aren't sandbox games.
>>
>>383522148
That video is pretty good, but then I watched that guy talk about how Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite is a good companion who the player likes to rescue due to their emotional bond, completely neglecting how the game ditches her mechanically in every way but letting her throw you some food every now and again. This makes me think that the guy doesn't really think much about games mechanically. Ashley was a good companion in Resi 4 because she was impactful. The player had to adapt his gameplay style around the task of defending her. And while some players may have seen that as "annoying", that annoyance was an affect caused by a video game's mechanics. Elizabeth has no such feature, she is entirely non-interactive and is thus a bad example of how to create a companion in a video game.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.