[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>this kills the PC gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 18

>this kills the PC gaming
>>
Jokes on you I bought my card when they came out.
>>
more like makes millions for graphic cards sellers from little kids that just learned they can make fake money with their computers.
>>
>>383510628
The bubble is in the process of bursting at this moment.
>>
bought my 980ti a bit before all this for $280 USD
>>
Can someone explain this? Why is cryptocurrency messing up PC?
>>
It's not my fault that the 1060 nets me 22MH/s. I'd buy 5 more if I could find them.

>>383510754
As long as coinbase keeps letting me exchange my fake mined money into real USD, I'm happy.
>>
My regular 980 is still rocking everything I throw at it so I don't really care.
>>
>>383510936
Because mining manchildren buy up all GPUs
>>
>>383510754
>cryptocurrency
>fake money
You commies are so unbelievably stupid. You glorify the money that is literally printed by the State - which is the actual fake money if there is any fake money around, even though the concept of fake money is stupid unless you are referring to a fraud - and then you claim that cryptocurrency - which consists of the magic of prices, offer and supply - is fake money.
>>
>>383511046
fuck off and stop trying to pretend it's not for buying drugs
>>
>>383510979
Are gaming GPUs really the best for mining? I highly doubt that they will find any profit, you need some mining-specalized hardware to make any profit nowadays since mining becomes less effective as it happens
>>
>>383511046
it was a joke son.
>>
>>383511162
You haven't been keeping up with memecoin trends.
>>
>>383510936
GPU's are being used to find crypographic nonce numbers in order to validate block hashes on various blockchain networks, and the people who solve them are rewarded with newly generated cryptocurrency which is then usually taken to an exchange like Coinbase and exchanged for US Dollars.
>>
>>383511046
>why don't you buy SOMETHING or at least tell other they should!
No.
>>
>>383510628
No Man's Sky?
>>
>>383511162
Only with bitcoin. Coins like Ethereum and Zcash can only be mined with gaming GPUs.
>>
>>383511337

fuck you now i can't unsee it.
>>
File: 1499711529146.jpg (44KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1499711529146.jpg
44KB, 400x250px
>finally get a job so I can afford a gaymen PC
>tfw cryptonigger craze hits sky-high

What the fuck? What am I supposed to do?
>>
>>383510754
all money is "fake" idioto the first money was IOUs and receipts to promise to trade cows
>>
I have a fucking 770 and it runs everything basically maxed out at 1080p, won't need to upgrade for years. Let the mememiners have their fun.
>>
>>383511496
Wait it out. Expect tons of cheap used graphics cards in the near future.
>>
>>383511160
ETH isn't for drugs pleb

thats bitcoin, potcoin, and cannabis coin
>>
>>383511496
SSDs, RAM and GPUs are expensive as hell
but CPUs got cheaper thanks to AMD
the bubble will burst for GPUs though when idiots stop buying every GPU they can find to generate a profit of a few cents per hour
>>
>>383511496
Join with the cryptoniggers and get free money

Once you set it up that shit mines itself and pays itself off in a couple of months. The only thing you have to deal with is a 10$ a month higher electric bill and a bit of excess heat. I have a few spare 970s generating me about 210$ a month in profit right now.
>>
>>383510628
no mans sky? :D
>>
>>383510754
>more like makes millions for graphic cards sellers

Are you generally fucking retarded, or what? This is in no way good for GPU manufacturers. All these people are just going to RMA their cards as soon as mining isn't profitable, get new ones from the manufacturer, and then sell the brand new ones off.

GPU manufacturers will ramp up production to keep up with mining demand, then lose out on sales from people buying the "used" cards from the miners plus get fucked by their own warranty.
>>
You can't pump & dump forever OP
>>
Can't kill what's already dead
>>
File: 1499652253425.jpg (29KB, 281x440px) Image search: [Google]
1499652253425.jpg
29KB, 281x440px
>>383511715
>I have a few spare 970s generating me about 210$ a month in profit right now.

What? That's terrible profit. Where's all the thousands of dollars I keep hearing people getting?
>>
>>383511715
I assume you still live with your parents/you're not paying for your electricity?
>>
>>383511496
They are already releasing cheap "graphics" cards without video output for all the cryptoautists.
>>
Can someone explain cryptocurrency for a dummy like me? Why would anyone be willing to trade real money for online money? If anyone with a computer can "create" more money then what value can it have?
>>
>>383512204
His $210 will become thousands in a few months if Etherium's value keeps getting higher.

Bitcoins were once worth less than a dollar, now they are worth $2400 dollars. There's a story of a guy that once spent 40.000 bitcoins to buy a pizza during its early stages. He was actually sitting on 100 million dollars, that dumbass.

And the same will happen again. People are right now sitting on potential millions, but they will keep trading because they are impatient

>>383511160
This is not 2010, bitcoins can be easily exchanged for State money
>>
>>383512392
Why would you assume that?

I pay 8 cents per KW/h of electricity and a 970 only burns about as much electricity as a couple of long florescent bulbs. I have no idea why people on /v/ claim my electric bill is going to be hundreds of dollars more a month or whatever, it's like 15$ more a month at most. I make 10X that in returns.
>>
>>383512492
>why would anyone be willing to trade real money for online money
First of all, there is no such thing as real money. In fact, State money is much more fake than cryptocurrency since it can be printed at the State's will thanks to Keynesian ""economics"".

Cryptocurrency is basically anarcho-capitalism in practice. A market without regulations. Offer and supply regulate the prices. And it worths a bitcoin was once worth less than a dollar, now it's worth over two thousand dollars and the price only keeps getting higher and higher.

It depends on the cryptocurrency. For bitcoin, you have a limited amount of bitcoins available, which consist of an encryption. Users will decrypt it and obtain bitcoins. They are not "creating" money, they are just mining it. Then, they can sell this. It's that simple, offer and supply. As offer grows much more than supply, the price keeps increasing (there's also how mining becomes gradually harder for bitcoin)

Other coins might be a little different but the principle is the same
>>
>>383512579
How's that different from investing into risky business? You could earn millions if you invested into Apple or any other shit when the time was right.
>>
>>383512492
>Why would anyone be willing to trade real money for online money?

You can buy drugs and cp with it.
>>
>>383512204
>Where's all the thousands of dollars I keep hearing people getting?

If you want thousands a month, you'll need a rig that looks like this.
>>
File: laughing cuties.png (195KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cuties.png
195KB, 449x401px
>>383513057
Oh God...
>>
>>383513007
you can do this with cash too
>>
I do have a couple of spare laptops around. I don't pay for electricity since it's included in rent so do you guys recon it would be good to use them to mine some coins?
If so, what's a good coin to mine nowadays?
>>
So is this stuff even worth unless you have 10+ high tier gpus?
>>
>>383511046
>p-please buy some of these coins guys
>i put all my savings into these
>>
>>383510628
can essentially any computer do this even for a negligible amount of cryptocurrency? I kind of just want to see how it works even if I only make $0.01

Can someone also explain what this shit even is? Everytime I ask anons just call me stupid but refuse to give any explanation.
>>
cryptos gonna kill piracy, once they can make a token that is basically your license for a song or media. its over
>>
>>383512986
It only seems the same because - just like any market activity - both are driven by the system of prices, offer and demand, but cryptocurrency is, as the name suggests, a currency. Some places already allow you to pay through cryptocurrency. It's much easier.
>>
File: bitcoin-cpi-dji-2010-now.png (35KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
bitcoin-cpi-dji-2010-now.png
35KB, 900x600px
>>383512492
>Why would anyone be willing to trade real money for online money?

Because the online money does pic related with the price. It's like really volatile stocks.

>If anyone with a computer can "create" more money then what value can it have?
The "creation" process is very intensive and taxing on hardware, and takes a relatively long time. Value through scarcity and proof of work, like mining gold deep underground.
>>
>>383512492
>>383513369
Seconding these anons. I need some comprehensive guide to these.
>>
PC gaming was already kill lol
>>
>>383513367
>implying I need to beg a loser like you to buy my cryptocurrency
there are websites that will buy it from me instantly no questions asked and entire communities dedicated to this if you want something more personal

the market is gigantic, full of potential and growing very fast
>>
File: q9W64Im.jpg (919KB, 2611x1958px) Image search: [Google]
q9W64Im.jpg
919KB, 2611x1958px
>>383513146
You haven't seen nothing yet.
>>
>>383513393
>buy and decrypt a copy of song or media
>put it on torrent
You are not very bright, are you?
>>
>>383510628
But I just bought $100 worth of vidya off of steam last week using memecoins I mined.
>>
File: 6qvpligj2kvv.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
6qvpligj2kvv.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>383513542
This one is also pretty impressive
>>
>mfw ETH is kill
>>
>>383511046
Found the memecoin farming retard
>>
>>383513367
>p-please buy some of these coins guys

Wait, you actually think that's how this shit works? You do realize I can make 2 clicks on coinbase and cash out to USD in seconds, right?
>>
>>383513369
>>383513494
>>383512492
Don't try mining, it's already too late for that. I suggest buying them and then actively trading.

Example. The value of bitcoin falls by 5%. Buy it. If it increases by 10%, sell it. You already made some profit. Keep doing this and making profit. You can make like 20% in a single day if you are lucky but be patient. It's a great hobby, you'll love it.

Then, once you get experienced with the market, you can try mining some underground cryptocoin that will probably die, but if it doesn't die and somehow get like 40000% profit good on you for hitting a jackpot
>>
>>383512579
I thought Etherium's value already peaked.
>>
>>383513393
How is this going to prevent people from making an mp3 without a license.
>>
>>383513857
They say that about every cryptocoin ever at any given moment
>>
>>383512492
Kiddies want to pretend 'pass the hot potato' is a good investment model.
>>
>>383511496
buy a motorcycle and move on from gaming
>>
Thanks for the bits
>>
>>383510936
retards buy up gpus, instead of waiting a few months for the bubble to either burst or asics to come out for it
>>
>>383513369
As long as you have a fairly modern video card with at least 3GB (I think) of Vram, you can mine ethereum. It's probably too late to make a massive huge profit on it, but mining with a single card on the side when your rig is not gaming could probably net you 30-40$ a month in profit.

Your best bet to learning how this stuff works is watching youtube explanations of ethereum / bitcoin / blockchain technology in general.

I'm going to be a bad goy and actually recommend you check out the ethermining subreddit over on reddit. It has a pretty handy guide to getting started and some good explanations.
>>
>>383513823
But what actually is mining? What do these rigs using graphics card generate?

I just want to try to mine to understand what it essentially is.
>>
>>383513784
>>383513541
>p-please!
>>
>>383513823
i have around 550-600 dollars. where do you suggest i invest them?
>>
>>383514020
>or asics to come out for it

*DAGs your path*
>>
So can I create my own cryptocurrency that's so hard to mine only 1 coin can exist and I make sure I get it because I know the secret mine password and since it's so rare it is worth all the money in the world and then I sell it for 17 trillions??????
>>
>>383511046
Cryptocurrency is too volatile. What about when Bitcoin went into the shitter a couple years ago

You cannot trust a thing you cannot see.
>>
>>383513823
>It's a great hobby, you'll love it.
Don't encourage gambling like that man.
>>
>>383511496
Wait a few weeks for the scam to collapse.
>>
>>383510830
this, today is definitely confirmation that this cycle is over
see you all in three years again, it was a fun session

not quite as fun as last time though, this ico shit was worse that premines
>>
>>383514210
>Bitcoin went into the shitter

Wait I though a single bitcoin were worth thousands of dollars now?
>>
>Moooom, I need more money for my electricity bills!
>>
>>383514268
It's not gambling, it's (((daytrading))).
>>
>>383513457
>currency
No. It's a pure market speculation, which is unlike real estate, stocks, gold or any other shit you could invest into has zero actual value behind it.
>>
>>383514181

Yes because all coins are memes
>>
>>383514395
>has zero actual value
the value is cost in bitcoin's case
>>
>>383514012
Underaged faggot
>>
>>383514087
The process is actually just pressing the "Sell" button, then the "confirm" button, but go ahead and believe whatever you want.
Check out coinbase, ex.io, Bitstamp, or Kraken if you don't believe me.
>>
>>383514308
Yeah they're worth a lot now, and tomorrow if a major exchange gets hacked it could be worth pennies. That's volatility.
>>
I thought it was illegal for someone to make his own money and try to pass it off as real money? How come these people aren't in jail??
>>
>>383514308
It is.
1 Bitcoin equals
2407.83 US Dollar

I remember when some anon spent his bitcoins on a pizza early on when they were worth shit lol
>>
>>383510754
>fake money
People have bought houses with that fake money, bubba.
>>
>>383514515
and what exactly determines the cost?
>>
>>383514515
Which exists only because there are some people ready to pay for it. If market dies, there is nothing left. Not even any payback for all the machine time lost on mining.
>>
>>383514623
>back when bitcoin was almost worthless
>thought it was a waste of time
>my friend had some bitcoins though
>value went up a bit
>he used all his coins to buy drugs
>years later
>he would've been nearly a millionaire had he kept his coins
Someone send me back in time please
>>
>>383514718
the current "difficulty"
>>
>>383514608
You're selling CPU cycles for cryptocurrency

It's currency not backed by a govt or commodity; govts can ban it's use but thats about all
>>
>>383514623
So is that pizza baker a millionaire now?
>>
so how do i mine ETH?
>>
>>383514608
Well first off,

>How come these people aren't in jail??
>these people

There isn't really a "these people" with bitcoin. It is decentralized and no single entity controls the network.
What you're thinking of is counterfeit money. It is totally illegal to make fake bills and pass them off as real bills, but nothing about creating your own currency from scratch is illegal.
>>
>>383514767
this is all so fucking confusing

I think I'll stick to paper dollars
>>
>>383514790
He never said if it was a private pizza place or not, if it was then mabey.
>>
>>383514883
>but nothing about creating your own currency from scratch is illegal.
Well, akshually, the government has prevented people from minting their own coins before. I don't have a link but a guy who made "liberty dollars" out of silver was apparently ordered to stop by the Treasury.

govt gonna govern
>>
Can someone explain what mining is? How is it any different from just plain trading or buying some memecoin for fiat?
>>
File: 1487156581729.png (114KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1487156581729.png
114KB, 500x370px
I kinda wanna blow my brains out for not hopping on the buttcoin train back in 2009 when my electricity was free at my apartment and I already had a good AMD GPU. Didn't think it was worth it.
>>
>>383514737
What I'm curious about is what will happen when the last bitcoin gets "mined" the system works in a way that without reason to mine them nobody will be keeping track of them, which makes the currency worthless.
>>
>>383514931
the "difficulty" is the amount of competition for fresh supply
the more people competing, the algorithms change to dictate it is to harder for computers to work to get coins, so there is a steady (time based) flow of freshly minted coins no matter how much or how little power is thrown at it

when there's more competition for coins, the value of the coins increases not just due to demand, but due to the cost of the power and infrastructure needed to obtain new coins
when there is a market lull, businesses that are mining may choose to shut down, and the difficulty becomes lower, and more coins are likely to be obtained with smaller players than before
>>
>>383514181
Maybe not to that extreme but whoever made these memecoin currencies definetly profited off them big time
>>
>>383515086
It's selling computer power to solve math problems. I don't know why it's called mining. You don't do shit, the computer just crunches numbers and you get paid for spending electricity, time and wear on the GPU.

I think it's probably not worth it, I mean maybe there's some cash there but it's peanuts compared to what you earn doing actual work in a job with your fucking carcass.
>>
>>383515205
>what will happen when the last bitcoin gets "mined"
then miners whatever transaction fees there were for the solved block
>>
>>383514883
So can I make "Dollars" (pronounced Doll-arse) that at a first glance (and second, and third) might resemble american dollars but totally is my very own perfectly legal currency?

oooor can I create my own cryptocoin and call it Bittcoin or Bitkoin and then try to sell it to dumb nigerians?
>>
>>383514931
He is lying. The only thing that determines the cost is availability of useful idiots who are ready to exchange it for real money so they can get their drugs from the dark web. As soon as something goes wrong and the market collapses. It's based only on market speculations and nothing else. That's why every cryptocurrency cost is oscillating like crazy. Sure, you can get more of it while it's cheap... literally like every fucking else on the stock market, but no one grantees that the bubble won't burst the next day.
>>
>>383515394
you really like to speculate about a collapse, a hack, anything to make it worthless

you can convince yourself, but your valueless opinion isn't going to convince the few thousand businesses that are mining
>>
>>383515343
>So can I make "Dollars" (pronounced Doll-arse) that at a first glance (and second, and third) might resemble american dollars but totally is my very own perfectly legal currency?

no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_dollar_(private_currency)

This guy did it as legit as possible and he still got fucked in the ass

Of course, the Treasury was mostly mad at the fact his dollars were actually backed by something besides empty promises.
>>
File: IMG_2427.png (110KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2427.png
110KB, 640x1136px
>this kills investors
>>
>>383515482
Not that guy but all you have to do is look into the recent past

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

It's foolish to assume there's no risk
>>
>>383515630
i'm not saying there's no risk, i've been going through these motions and cycles since 2012, it's a fun game to play

but i'm not in "IT WILL ABSOLUTELY BE TOTALLY WORTHLESS" fantasy land like that retard keeps wishing either
>>
>>383513457
>some places

>legal tender in Japan
>Amazon through purse.io
>every takeaway.com restaurant in dozens of EU countries and Foodler
>major airlines and booking services
>large electronics retailers, Newegg, Dell, Scan
>online grocers in various countries and every Shopify store
>every self-respecting internet startup offering services
>college tuition fees in Germany
>Steam, GMG, g2a, various digital music services
>bitcoin debit cards for everything else
>etc.
on top of
>4chen and ribbit
>Wikileaks
>Wikipedia, Internet Archive etc.
>TPB etc.
>only safe way of buying drugs
It's not 2014.
>>
So uh, with my single GTX 1070 and i5 4670k is there a potential to earn anything or it's too babby tier?
>>
>>383514268
Let people trade on the crab holding pattern they learned off of youtube anon. It's a free country.
>>
>>383515881
That's textbook definition of "some", anon.
>>
Is it possible with a low end laptop?

I set up a wallet and tried the nanopool site, but in my wallet address, but the dialogue box closed pretty quickly.

Does it only work with certain cards?

Not interested in how much I can make, I just want to see how it works.
>>
>>383515881
technically most of those you're paying through the home currency rather than through bitcoin, it's just going through and automatically being exchanged

it would be better to reference software or service providers that accept money in fixed btc values rather than whatever the current exchange rate it
>>
>>383516106
Unfortunately the card has to have at least 2GB of Vram at the current time for Ethereum mining.
>>
>>383515903
you will earn a nice electricity bill
>>383516106
yes it is possible but you will just overheat your laptop for no profit
>>
File: 1491007234779.jpg (780KB, 1596x914px) Image search: [Google]
1491007234779.jpg
780KB, 1596x914px
>>383513007
>and CP

>paying for pictures
>ever

Literally fucking retarded.
>>
>>383515903
>>383516106
you can try nicehash if you want to benchmark a whole bunch of different mining algorithms and see potential rate of income
the current income rates are pretty poor because the shitcoin market is tanking though
>>
File: shut.jpg (69KB, 600x929px) Image search: [Google]
shut.jpg
69KB, 600x929px
>Their face when the jews make crypto mining illegal
>>
>>383515630

>Storing their cons on an exchange and not in a paper wallet

Anyone who lost money to that company only had themselves to blame for making such a rookie mistake
>>
>>383515903
A single GTX 1070 wiill yet you about 27MH/s speed if properly configured, which is decent and can make you some decent pocket money if you run it a lot. Your best of reading the ethermining subreddit to get started.

>>383516303
>you will earn a nice electricity bill

27MH/s with the electricity cost of a 1070 will net you 10x more profit than costs.
>>
>>383516369
>>383516303
>>383516292
ok I guess I can't really do much then, just wanted to try for the experience.

I'm thinking about building a gaming rig, how would 1050 ti? work? I'm very not-tech savvy.
>>
>>383516369
also i wouldn't recommend nicehash long term because of their minimum transaction sizes, overly high "transaction fees", and insane 4% service fee
>>
How did cryptocurrency gain traction? How did people go with it when someone said "Hey, use a shitload of time and money to mine these ones and zeroes to receive digital currency that is not a legal tender anywhere in the world!"?

I mean, obviously it has legitimacy now that people bought into it and gave it that, but how the fuck did it get off the ground at all?
>>
>>383516598
you either mine or use the computer, cant do both at the same time
>>
>>383511184
>I was only pretending to be retarded
Every time.
>>
>>383516870
>>
>>383516598
You should be able to get a decent rate of around 12-14MH per second on a 1050ti, but it has to be the version with more than 2GB of Vram for it to work. 2GB is not enough to mine Ethereum with anymore, I'm afraid. You can look on any of the various mining calculator sites to tell you what kind of profit you would get from 14MH/s.
>>
>>383516871
I know that, I do go to school and have a job, so there's plenty of time I'm not using the computer.
>>
>>383516870
think of it like a score in a videogame, people are showing off to each other and competing to have more coins that don't fucking matter

now some pay to win asshole comes in and buys coins to show off how many he has
>>
>>383516598
setting up a computer to mine is about half way between technical and non technical. Some basic knowledge of MSI afterburner (you need to bump up the Memory clock to get the best performance) and a a custom .bat file is about all you need. The only half challenging part is writing out the .bat file, but there are a bunch of tutorials around for it on youtube and r*ddit and stuff.
>>
Shame it's too late to get into mining at this point.
>>
>>383516939
bears
>>
>>383516871
it used to be the case that the computer was near unusable, but with today's current popular and profitable algorithms, it's just a little laggy
you can't game but you can still watch youtube and shit without needing another gpu that isn't mining
>>
>>383517372
interesting, what parts do you need other than the graphics card?
>>
File: WILL OF ALLAH.jpg (176KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WILL OF ALLAH.jpg
176KB, 1920x1080px
>>383517191
>Cryptocurrency is the premium currency of real life, while money is the "in-game" currency
>There are shops that you can use your premium currency in for goodies that would take years of grinding to purchase with money

You can't make this shit up
>>
>>383517471
A GPU with more than 2GB of Vram is literally all you need. It doesn't use the CPU or anything else.

Also I think it may require 64bit Windows instead of 32bit (If you use windows), but I'm not sure. Most windows installs are 64bit anyways so that shouldn't be a big deal.
>>
File: 1451592095745.jpg (77KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
1451592095745.jpg
77KB, 940x627px
Going to pull the trigger on a lower end card soon, so it doesn't really affect me.
>>
>>383516580
>literally lying

I've been running eth and lit rigs for months, tweaked every setting, swapped to every card imaginable, spent over 50k and made less than 25k with the coins i made. Friends who tried with me have similar experiences, except for the one guy who worked out an agreement with his employer to run his rig at work. He's also on shit terms with his employer now because their electrical bills are fucking insane now.

I even live in central indiana, a place with really fucking low energy costs and i couldn't make this work. Anyone telling you they are making a profit now are probably lying, you need multiple racks running in perfect configs to make a livable profit.
>>
>>383517385
point is there's always one crackpot that sees the potential, then other people realize maybe he wasn't as crazy as they thought.
>>
>>383518092
>Anyone telling you they are making a profit now are probably lying
it's easy profit
>you need multiple racks running in perfect configs to make a livable profit.
nobody here is doing this as their livelihood, it's just a way to buy a computer mouse for about a couple packs of gum in electric costs
>>
>>383517712
how? the 'rigs' aren't hooked up to an actual computer or anything?

Interesting
>>
>>383517626
>you can buy a tank with USD
>you can get USD by getting any job

>you can't buy a tank with bitcoin
>even if you could, in order to get the bitcoin you would need to acquire >100k USD mining rig or just outright buy the coins with USD
>spend 4 weeks waiting for the transaction to actually finish because it is more than .00001 of a coin
>the tank you receive is a 1:1000 scale model that is not assembled yet
>100% of the seller's reviews are positive because with bitcoin a website has no way to verify real purchases

What does "premium" mean to you??
>>
>>383518370
>it's just a way to buy a computer mouse for about a couple packs of gum in electric costs

Stop fucking lying about electricity costs.
>>
>>383518456
>>100% of the seller's reviews are positive because with bitcoin a website has no way to verify real purchases
what, bitcoin would be the easiest way ever to verify real purchases

>>383518539
there's even a UPS before my PSU for further 10% loss in efficiency
>>
>>383518434
No it needs to be hooked up to a computer, but the GPU is the only thing that is doing any real work. The rest (CPU, RAM) is basically just idling like it does normally in Windows.
>>
>>383518092
Something is going really wrong on your end. I pay 8 cents per KW and hour of electricity in TN and I make way more than I pay out in electricity with a few 970s and a few 1060s. Are you remembering to undervolt your cards?
>>
>>383518629
>what, bitcoin would be the easiest way ever to verify real purchases

>you can verify purchases with anonymous transactions

You're literally just lying to people about how much this is going to cost them in electricity. Just because you keep repeating "it cost much in electricity at all!" doesn't mean it's true. Literally anyone who has an even basic knowledge of mining knows that the electricity cost is not negligible at all.
>>
File: dogecoin img.png (257KB, 369x380px) Image search: [Google]
dogecoin img.png
257KB, 369x380px
Fuck this meme coins. I hope the gubmint makes them illegal so you all end with nothing.

>>383513661
>>383513542
>>383513057
>>
>>383518834
>Literally anyone who has an even basic knowledge of mining knows that the electricity cost is not negligible at all.
it's profitable, not free

it's a good 7-8x profit right now
couple packs of gum is $4, computer mouse is $40
not much of an exaggeration at today's current shittacular rates
a few weeks ago it was even better, like 12x
>>
>>383514659
maybe with bitcoins

good luck selling those trumpcoins or dogecoins you mined to anyone and cashing out
>>
>>383514075
iirc it's a bunch of computers trying to solve some complex equations, with the first getting the coin. Turns out that Gaming CPUs do the trick nicely.
>>
File: doge.png (3KB, 177x49px) Image search: [Google]
doge.png
3KB, 177x49px
>>383518901
>>383519008
i love doge
>>
>>383518775
I have 5 racks in a small "data center" that i keep in the freezer room of my house. They need to be cooled or they literally melt while mining. It is very clear that you're talking about mining with your gaming rig (killing your GPU for, what, 100$?) and maybe a crankenstein pc.

I tried to make it a career after seeing people make money on the small scale, that's probably what fucked me, but it doesn't change that in the end you are either barely in the black, or losing money when mining.
>>
>>383519191
people seem to also ignore that, yes, if you frontload quite a couple thousand you can make x dollars a day in profit, but you also just put several thousand of dollars into this and have to make them back first
>>
>>383519191
racks of what?
did you buy three year obsolete asics or something?
you're being unusually unspecific

do you use a profit switching pool?
do you have a coin you specifically target to hold?
do you exchange your coins for btc the instant you get them?
>>
>>383511496
black friday
>>
>>383519290
>people seem to also ignore that, yes, if you frontload quite a couple thousand you can make x dollars a day in profit, but you also just put several thousand of dollars into this and have to make them back first

Like I said, they are still in my freezer room mining. I'm going to try to make my money back before liquefying the entire thing and killing myself in my study.

>>383519345
>racks of what?
Mining rigs? most of them are running 1070s but i got a REALLY good deal on some RX 580s from an electronics warehouse my friend works at.

>did you buy three year obsolete asics or something?
Literally everything was bought new, buying old rigs would have been less expensive.

>you're being unusually unspecific
I'm posting on fucking 4chan you dumbfuck

>do you use a profit switching pool?
No I mine with my own hardware alone.

>do you have a coin you specifically target to hold?

1070s go on whatever, usually ultracoin or ltc. the 580s are always mining eth.

>do you exchange your coins for btc the instant you get them?

No i'm not a fucking moron, I manually sell when the market is good for my coins.
>>
>>383519191
I run 4 GPUs hanging from a custom rig that is being blown on by a 10$ walmart box fan. None of my cards peak beyond 72C and nothing is melting, and they are under 100% load 24 hours a day. You fucked up somewhere, somehow. I pay an extra 10-15$ a month in electricity and get payed back out about 210$ a month in ethereum at its current price.

Something isn't adding up on your end. Are you sure you need that big ass freezer, and are you sure you are manually setting the fan speed on the cards?
>>
>>383519875
oh, yeah, you're getting fucked because you didn't understand how it works before putting down the cash
i can see why you're so mad now
shit sucks, investing in the currency has always been a better success story than buying the equipment when the boom is happening

i did the same when 280x was the hot ticket, got hooked up through a wholesale supplier but wound up buying in during the mining craze instead of before it
wound up breaking even but it wasn't worth the heat put off in the summer
>>
>>383513823
Buying and selling for profit sounds most reasonable so far.

What's the best way to do it? I've seen an android app >>383515603, is it good?
>>
>>383520254
>oh, yeah, you're getting fucked because you didn't understand how it works before putting down the cash
Yes i did, i just wasn't aware of the problems of doing it on a larger scale.

>i can see why you're so mad now
shit sucks, investing in the currency has always been a better success story than buying the equipment when the boom is happening

Like I said i'm really close to just selling it and going back to my job. I could make a profit with the hardware in a few months now that all the GPUs are being bought up.

>i did the same when 280x was the hot ticket, got hooked up through a wholesale supplier but wound up buying in during the mining craze instead of before it
wound up breaking even but it wasn't worth the heat put off in the summer

I have to have a fucking contractor come out and perform maintenance on my freezer system every week to keep it running efficiently. The dude is my drug dealer now though so that's a mixed bag.

I should mention I already had the freezer system, but it has never been used this much before now.
>>
>>383511046
>anti-state
>calls people he doesn't like communists
spot the underage
>>
>>383520598
Coinbase (the app in the screenshot) is really good if you are US based. If you are in Europe there are also several other good options like Kraken. Just sign up and verify your identity and you can buy and sell with just a few clicks. The exchange can hold your coins for you, but it is strongly recommended that you move the coins away from your exchange wallet and onto a wallet that is held on your computer, like the Jaxx wallet. This is to prevent you from losing your coins if the exchange were to fold up.

https://jaxx.io/
>>
>>383510628
>kids making pennies over the course of months with """"cryptocurrency""""
>thinking that it will pay off in the end
>no one takes the actual """"cryptocurrency"""" seriously so it makes miniscule increases. It's actual value has nothing behind it to back it, not even someone's word, so people end up collection large amounts of nothing tendered to appear as something you can trade
>has gone virtually nowhere in the past 3 years

>and yet they keep telling everyone "just you wait, the value will sky rocket!"

I know that it mirrors a pyramid scheme, but isn't there a word for something which you invest into and speculate upon, but its entire value is based on speculation with nothing else to back it?
>>
>>383520790
>I could make a profit with the hardware in a few months now that all the GPUs are being bought up.
with the current mining bubble bursting, it might be better to try that sooner instead of later
now that eth is below 0.09 btc it seems like a lot people are panicking and getting out

>I have to have a fucking contractor come out and perform maintenance on my freezer system every week to keep it running efficiently.
that's really never a problem i've had to deal with, simple house AC was enough but my old rig was in the basement so maybe all the cold walls were absorbing a lot of the heat

even when i casually mine today my single remaining in-case card doesn't get above 70c with a mere 40% fan speed
>>
>>383521170
>kids making pennies over the course of months with """"cryptocurrency""""
Hundred to thousands actually, depending on how big your operation is. I'm doing about 200$ a month in profit right now with a single small rig.

>thinking that it will pay off in the end
It's already payed off. I had my 4 cards payed for within the first few months, then it's all profit from there.

>no one takes the actual """"cryptocurrency"""" seriously so it makes miniscule increases.
Ethereum has made 50% gains in a single day before.

>large amounts of nothing tendered to appear as something you can trade
Coinbase will exchange USD for Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum in a single click. So will many other exchanges.

>has gone virtually nowhere in the past 3 years
Ethereum has gone from a few dollars a coin in the begining of 2017 to almost 400$ a coin a few weeks ago. Bitcoin went from 600$ to over 2700$ in the same time span.
>>
>>383512490
Source?
>>
>people STILL investing in crypto even though quantum computing is a thing

Why would you invest in something that will be broken by new technology?
>>
Why can't these buttcoins be mined from something useful like cracking RSA (and other) encryption methods or curing cancer?
>>
File: hiro pls.jpg (10KB, 220x284px) Image search: [Google]
hiro pls.jpg
10KB, 220x284px
I'm still using a 970 and will probably still be using it for the next couple years.

How is PC gaming killed? I'm still going to be buying games years from now and they'll still run at max settings 1080p most of the time, and the ones that don't I can just lower the settings. Buying new cards on a frequent basis is silly.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.