[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ratchet and Clank reboot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

File: ratchet and clank ps4.jpg (300KB, 1263x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ratchet and clank ps4.jpg
300KB, 1263x1500px
>how to ruin a perfect game series
>>
But it was good. Just not as good as the original.
>>
>>383495754
so what's even the fucking point
>>
so was this a remake of the first game or new?
>>
just turn off voices. Also the gameplay is a solid 10/10 on hard
>>
>>383495797
The only thing the original did better was the character developement. And that was probably cut in the new version due to it being a movie tie-in. Everything else was better in the new version.
>>383495856
It was a re-imagining of the first game. Came with a movie, too.
>>
>>383494609

It was much better than R&C 1, though a bit shorter due to the fact it was a budget $40 title instead of triple A like it was back in the PS2 days.

It was better than Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, Into the Nexus and Up Your Arsenal as well. A sequel could be better than Going Commando and A Crack in Time.
>>
>>383497774
>Going Commando and A Crack in Time
glad you acknowledged that those are the best ratchet and clank games, because they are
>>
>>383494609
the gameplay was amazing, the story was shit. I hope they just continue from the original series with the next game since there's been so much more character development and world building i feel its a shame to waste it all.
>>
>>383494609
they kinda had to do a reboot but they fucked it up, the problem was that things got too fucky with the lore, so they had to rewind, I mean fucking clank became a time god or some shit, and there was a lot of issues with flanderization but when they did the reboot I feel like they flanderized it even more than in the past, ratchet used to be a bit of a stubborn jerk but it made sense cause he was some mechanic from some fucking back woods hill billy fuck planet, and clank was actually the one who brought him round to being a good guy, it made their dynamic really mean something and you could see the development over time as they became buddies.
Now it's just kinda shit and ratchet is a nerdy pushover type who already wants to be a hero, so there's no real development for him to go through other than to find out that quark is a peice of shit.
They really didn't need to rewrite the story while they were at it.
>>
It's fun. Pretty much what I remember from when I was a kid. What more do you want
>>
>>383497774
I don't know if it was better than Up Your Arsenal and Tools Of Destruction. I feel like that's a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>383494609
worth getting for 5 bucks? I really liked the other games
>>
>>383498390

Only old fans liked the dynamic between Ratchet and Clank through most of the first game though, most people thought he was way too antagonistic, it was one of the main criticisms. It's also one of the main reasons they changed the voice actor and personality of Ratchet for Going Commando and beyond.

The remake made him more like the Ratchet in the sequels instead of following R&C 1's Ratchet. I do agree it was better in the original, but people didn't like it then.
>>
>>383498905
absolutely worth it. it's honestly a lot of fun if you ignore the story. Such a blast to just play through (play on the hardest difficulty tho since it's quite easy)
>>
>>383499016
man, fuck people. why is it everyone only enjoys boring typical shit?
>>
>>383498632

It was a bit shorter than those, but had tighter gameplay, better pacing and better (albeit unoriginal, due to the fact it's a re-telling) weapon selection.
>>
>>383499139

There's a reason Marvel movies are the best-selling out there, people don't want to be challenged even in fiction, they want to feel good only.
>>
>>383496165
There was definitely more wrong with it

>Cut levels
>Generic music
>Shoving in weapons from the future series instead of just revamping the original arsenal
>30fps
>In my opinion, It felt a bit too easy even on hard.

It plays fine and looks gorgeous, but it's sorta of a mediocre entry. Like you said though, a lot of this shit could have happened because it was a movie tie in. I personally hope we see another new game soon that completely surpasses my expectations.
>>
>>383499398
Cut levels and music yes, also bringing Nefarious in as the final boss even though he has no business being there.
Other than that, I think the new version is better. The character developement really bugs me, though.
>>
>>383499016
I remember when this was nowhere close the global consensus on /v/. I was trying to argue Ratchet's antihero development in 1 being pretty great but people just complained it was too assholeish for its own good (they were also parroting Mike and Tony). Han Solo Ratchet was a good counterpart to R2D2 Clank, and I wouldn't have minded seeing more of it in the sequels but nope people on /v/ also literally said they liked Ratchet as a hero and even the Future games' writing.

Now that GamingBrit did that 1hour video people switched to parroting actually good opinions around here so that makes me glad.
>>
>perfect
Ratchet was never perfect, especially not after the leap to PS3.
>>
>>383502085

Yep, me too. I remember having finished R&C 1 and people saying Ratchet was terrible in it. I find it funny that now they want the original one back.
>>
>>383499398
They literally did not have the rights to use the original game's soundtrack, hence the new music. Insomniac as on record said if they could have, they would have included the old soundtrack.

Oltanis didn't work out because of time constraints.

I'll give you the weapons.

I'll give you the framerate.

I'll give you the difficulty.

That said, it's just a reimagining of the original game. It's not meant to replace it or claim it's better. It's just a different take.

They promised me if they were to make a 2nd one that Boldan would absolutely be sure to be included, alongside getting the rights to the music of the 2nd game beforehand at the very least
>>
>>383504113
>They literally did not have the rights to use the original game's soundtrack, hence the new music. Insomniac as on record said if they could have, they would have included the old soundtrack.
How does that make sense? The PS3/Vita collection had the original soundtrack.
>>
This is all you need on the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kD_QhYgIA4
>>
File: Ratchet_and_Clank_All_4_One.png (263KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
Ratchet_and_Clank_All_4_One.png
263KB, 300x346px
>>383494609
The series was ruined far before that.
This was the first game by the B-Team. It's been downhill since. And the A-team was fired to make room for the Fuse/Sunset/Spiderman team.
>>
>>383504113
Even if they couldn't get the original music they should have gotten something that wasn't generic movie score tier.
>>
>>383504168
Because the collection was of the original games. They couldn't reuse the first game's soundtrack for a brand new game.
>>
>>383504239
>open video
>gamingbrit
>close video
>>
>>383496165
>Shit music
>Shit animations
>Shit dialogue
>Shit art direction
>Shit weapon balance
>Handholding
>1/3 less content

I played them back to back, so no nostalgia here. PS4 was far inferior.
>>
>>383504943
They could have negotiated it out, but let's be real: the game was made quick and cheap.
>>
>>383497774
>Going Commando
>better than Up Your Arsenal
I don't follow
>>
there's literally nothing wrong with R&C1 ratchet
>>
>>383507257
going commando set the groundwork for the rest of the series so people give it a lot of credit
>>
>>383504239
>man complains about ancillary shit and glosses over gameplay despite making an 80-minute video: the video
>>
>>383497774
1 and 3 > 2
>>
I enjoyed this game immensely. Played through it 6 times now to get the platinum trophy.

I'm not a graphics junkie but damn this game looked fucking amazing. The only thing is that the Clank sections really slow the game down. I get what they were trying to go for, but it was too much. R&C 3 (Up Your Arsenal) had the best balance between Ratchet and Clank gameplay.
>>
I honestly can't think of a more perfect game trilogy than ratchet 1-3. That's for me personally tho, i'm not saying it's the objective GOAT.
>>
>>383495754
Original was trash for the poor controls and artificial difficulty with those shitty checkpoints (die on last boss? here start from the very beginning of the level).

The only reason the reboot suffered was because of lack of replayability, as soon as you beat a level 70+% of the enemies are gone the next time you revisit it.
>>
>>383507581
>(die on last boss? here start from the very beginning of the level).
Literally what
>>
>>383507489
I do think it's loads of fun. I played through it several times too. My main complaint is the story being kind of shit and the dialogue being much more generic and less funny. With that in mind i just listened to podcasts and albums during my next couple of playthroughs and skipped the cutscenes.
>>
>>383507348
He does complain about the gameplay fairly frequently and prominently throughout the video though.
>>
>>383507384
this. I get that 2 did great things for the series but because of that it also suffered from a lot of growing pains not seen in the preceding and succeeding titles.
>>
>>383507581
The last level is pretty shit, but this doesn't happen.
>>
>>383507489
Agreed. Why did it take so long to get the plat? I got mine in 2 playthroughs and a few levels deep in the 3rd.
>>
>>383507581
lol
>>
>>383507761
There were lots of missable trophies like the "use the Sheepinator on a helicopter" one and the Groovitron trophy. It took me a few tries to realize I missed the tentacle-monster on the train for that trophy.
>>
>re-imagine of re-imagine of the movie of the original game the re-imagine in a 'remake'

I wonder what got wrong.
Btw, Nexus despite being a short and the fun gameplay at times, was the start of the downhill in terms of the writing and the jokes(Quark is just a nuisance and they are taking too far is character).
ACiT was the top of their game and the only very good game of the Future saga
ToD is just forgettable

>>383507581
No you don't. You restart on that arena where Giant Clank vs Drek happened. You do have to redo the falling platforming section before the final showdown with Chairman Drek
>>
>>383507686
Not really, no. My main takeaways from this video were that the story was kiddified, the game is comparatively bare in content, and everyone talks way the fuck too much. I think there was a quick bit about the combat being jump and shoot, except that that criticism applies to every single mainline game in the series that isn't the very first one so it kinda whiffs on me.
There are other points made about gameplay, sure, but the majority of the video's runtime is spent on things other than it.
>>
>>383508753
>Btw, Nexus despite being a short and the fun gameplay at times, was the start of the downhill in terms of the writing and the jokes(Quark is just a nuisance and they are taking too far is character).
The writing plummeted as soon as they left the PS2.
>>
>>383508753
a crack in time has always been my favourite, and thats coming from a die hard ratchet and clank game. I think that the original trilogy is absolutely the best overall but acit has been my favourite game since it was released.
>>
>>383507738
>The last level is pretty shit
nah, that boss fight is a classic
>>
>>383507936
Ah yeah the Groovitron one, I forgot all about it. I keked hard when I found out the big box choppers that shot at you would dance to the Groovitron.
>>
>>383494609
hey for 9 bucks im not complaining. im having a good time
>>
It's important to remember that it's based on the movie, not the entire first game. Hence why it's so short and cheap.

But yeah, I want them to make an actual full length game.
>>
>>383509003
Yeah it's pretty cool. Even the NPCs have their own dance moves. It's fun to dick around with.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was how strange it was they got rid of Chairman Drek in a cutscene without giving him a full or even semi-full boss fight. Why not put him before the Qwark fight?
>>
>>383508762
From what I remember about the video:
>Game runs at 30 FPS so gameplay feels worse right out of the gate
>Not many weapons make a comeback from the first game
>Difficulty isn't quite as hard as the original game
>Levels original to this game aren't great
>Individually goes over the design of every area
>Quick point about quick select menu being better in the remake
>>
>>383508904
I didn't say anything about the boss fight, it's probably the only decent fight in the game. I just said that the level itself is shit.
>>
>Qwark is a complete asshole the whole game through to the point of endangering your life multiple times over, on purpose
>kick his ass in a bossfight
>suddenly and out of nowhere Qwark's character is redeemed because he says "I'm sorry"
>>
>>383499016
His hero-ness of the later games only made sense and was good because of his asshole beginnings. Now it's just typical capeshit.

Hating on R&C1 Ratchet is basically saying you hate having an emotional reaction to a character.
>>
I hate how they ditched all of the character development between Ratchet & Clank and instantly made them all buddy-buddy.
>>
File: 1474918725479.png (36KB, 154x139px) Image search: [Google]
1474918725479.png
36KB, 154x139px
>>383494609
The story was indeed some wannabe Pixar shit, but the gameplay was fine and I got it dirt cheap so I'm perfectly okay with it.
>>
>>383499313
But the best Marvel movies, even according to critics and normies, are always the one that have a challenged protagonist, an intriguing villain, or both. Even normies are tired of capehead saves the day with no emotional consequence #132
>>
>>383508804
The original trilogy had a sort of charm like those cartoons from the 90s, which I could identify more with. ACiT was different than that, but it worked very well

>>383508862
Same.
I really enjoyed how Ratchet in ACiT could do shit on his own without Clank flying. Clank's puzzles were alright. That ending was pretty satisfying as the final battle was

>>383509003
>groovitron
>ToD's skill point

I don't even know how it worked, but I got it in the 2nd playthrough like half-point in one of the bosses... ToD skill points sure were hard to get
>>
>>383509297
Every single one of these points is rapidly glossed over and, again, don't get nearly as much time as the points I mentioned. He doesn't really even cover the individual design of each area, it's often just a quick handwave. The most discussion of the gameplay that occurs isn't analysis, it's just observation.
>>
>>383510015
How would you have covered those things in more depth without doing a doing a complete commentated runthrough of the game?
>>
>>383507581
>R&C was too difficult for him
LOL HOW IS THAT FUCKING POSSIBLE

You do realize that the original RC games scale difficulty according to how much of a scrub you are, right? There's no static difficulty. If you keep getting rekt the game will tune down the difficulty until you win. Also if you didn't play through the game with your wrench so you could rape Drek with the RYNO you played it wrong.
>>
>>383507581
Original game may be dated in some ways but I can still have fun with it, also you don't start the whole level over if you die to the final boss
>>
>>383494609
Anything past 3 is shit, period.
As soon as it hit the PS3, the series lost its charm and humor. Nowadays Ratchet & Clank feel like a gay couple instead of bros.
>>
>>383510403
I would probably organize it like a comparison between the combat/platforming style of R&C and every single mainline game following it, because the remake follows the form of the latter. I would have tried to cover why or how something is different rather than just stating that it is.
>>
>perfect
>hasn't been a good game since Crack in Time
wish they would just end the series desu, reboot was so bad and they couldn't even be bothered to include the Future trilogy's lore in it.
>Ratchet and Clank origin story where they only actually talk to each other once in the whole game
into the trash it goes, what a clusterfuck. Sony continues to ruin everything they touch
>>
>>383510959
So you hated Deadlocked then?
>>
>>383509785
>The original trilogy had a sort of charm like those cartoons from the 90s

Also referred to as "Futurama".
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.