[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me the praise that this game gets? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

File: 480i-doublestrike-10x.jpg (515KB, 1600x1400px) Image search: [Google]
480i-doublestrike-10x.jpg
515KB, 1600x1400px
Can someone explain to me the praise that this game gets? It regularly tops Mario game listings and I see it referenced in 3x3s here more than any other game in the series.

That said, I'm doing a chronological play through of all the Mario games and it really didn't stand out to me as something especially groundbreaking. SMB3 was a more consistently challenging experience with more content, a (subjectively) better art style, and it originated all of the design elements I see as points of praise for World, which was actually significantly pared down from a fucking NES game (i.e. mini games, powers; level count)
So for innovation of the series and genre I look to SMB3 and for creativity and polish I look to Yoshi's Island. World feels like SMB3.5 with a new coat of paint. What am I missing? Is it just nostalgia? I feel cheated of a great experience, but I can't help but feel that it isn't as good as it's hyped up to be.
>>
>>383492748
tl;dr I enjoyed the game and it's obviously great, but I don't think it was as innovative or original as the games in the series that came out before or after it. What am I missing?
>>
File: 1473846170569.jpg (68KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1473846170569.jpg
68KB, 472x472px
It was the main Mario game for one of Nintendo's best consoles. That's all it takes for some people.

All in all, I think it's a pretty great one, though. I like the spin jump a lot in this. It also has a very active modding community, probably more than any other Mario game.
>>
It's the most fun Mario. It's not the most innovative but I just think it is the most enjoyable to play. The controls feel amazing and the graphics and sound are perfectly suited for it.
>>
>>383493958
Yeah, this. SMB3 is a fucking masterpiece, everyone knows that. But SMW is still more fun to play.
>>
>>383492748
its the apex of 2D mario, every game had been a constant improvement until it stopped getting better at that point, then the game just became different.

Alas, my opinion is that Yoshis island is the superior game but i have to admit its different enough for me to accept that its not a "pure" mario game.
>>
>>383492748
How can you not find it at least innovative, more than SMB3? SMB3 is the same SMB1 experience but "turbo" and harder. SMW has a distinct colorful artstyle, gameplay involves finding secrets and routes, a cape item lets you fly, there is yoshi, etc. This kind of thing makes the game play very differently than SM1 and SM3.
>>
>>383492748
Is this among the most modded games of all time?
>>
>>383494420
>SMB3 is the same SMB1 experience but "turbo" and harder.

...have you actually played SMB3?
>>
>>383494420
>SMB3 is the same SMB1

What? Nigger, can you fly in SMB1? Are there secret items in SMB1? Is there an overworld map?

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
world is not nearly as groundbreaking as smb3, but it builds upon its foundation, offering more responsive and polished gameplay (smb3 was very slippery and floaty in comparison) even if raw numbers don't look as good
there is also the fact that the whole game area forms one cohesive whole and it is filled with secret paths and areas, making going through it way more interesting
>>
Mario World is possibly the blandest Mario game of them all. People usually label the NSMB-series as bland, but they at least have interesting stages you don't fly through in one swoop.

I'll also take the "ba!'s" over Mario Worlds awful soundtrack any day. Athletic theme is trash. Almost the whole soundtrack feels like it doesn't belong in a Mario game compared to what came before and after it.

And in terms of design Mario 3 shits all over World. 3 is packed to the brim with secrets, numerous powerups and tools, and its stages don't drag on anywhere near long enough to wear out their welcome. Plus its world themes were varied as opposed to Worlds grass land, grass land, cave, forest, reskinned grassland, cave. Wasn't there another level? Fuck if I can remember it. Probably more grass.

>>383492942
>it's obviously great
How? Why? Explain, for it is not obvious to me.
>>
>>383496167
OP here, had to put that caveat there in fear of getting accused of making a bait thread. Agree with you on all points save for the OST, which from contact exposure from childhood I can't help but like. Stage variety was fucking garbage though. You forgot those excellent Boo houses.
>>
>>383492748
SMW is literally the peak of 2d platformers. It all went downhill afterwards.
>>
>>383495413
Has op and you actually played SMW?

checkmate
>>383496019
The powerup lets you briefly float. It feels like the designer of the powerup could have thought, "what is a powerup that could plausibly belong in SM1 and fit with the theme of mushroom and flower?" Meanwhile, by comparison, yoshi completely disrupts everything. It's entirely un-SM1-like.
>>
It simply has the best mario physics.
I agree that SMB3 should be considered the better game, since it has better content and leveldseign, but SMW simply has better gameplay/physics.
The myriad of mods are a testament to that.
>>
>>383494420
>>383496845
are you okay man
you're abjectly, factually incorrect in your first post and I can't even figure out what you're trying to say in the second
>>
>>383496167
imo world ost is 100x better than any new song with the ba! ba!, but I understand what you mean.

When World was in development, Nintendo didn't quite finish the sound chip for the console, so the team make all the sound and music from plain scratch.

They made a good job with what they got.
>>
OP here, the more important question now is whose idea it was to make a used condom an enemy in SMW2
>>
>>383492748
World is overrated and the only New game it is better than is NSMB2
>>
>>383497042
>no argument for why the first post is incorrect
Basically I'm saying SMW plays differently than SM1, more than SM3 does, so it makes no sense call it less innovative.
>>
SMB3 has better world aesthetics, better level design, better power-ups, more varied music, etc.

The only thing SMW has over it is Yoshi, boss fights, and graphics.
>>
>>383497637
SMB3 introduced the overworld, branching levels with multiple exits, a whole slew of new powerups, minigames, and the Koopalings. Everything done in SMW was already done in SMB3. In fact, SMW ripped out a lot of the mechanics present in SMB3 by paring down the number of powerups and world variety. By 'innovative', I mean adding new mechanics and ideas to the series. SMB3 added more to the franchise (and is therefore more innovative) than World, which, from the replies in the thread, simply took the platform of SMB3 and polished the central platforming mechanics.
>>
File: Architect02.jpg (91KB, 621x718px) Image search: [Google]
Architect02.jpg
91KB, 621x718px
Because it's fun.
>>
>>383492748
Post the pasta seriously, its funny
>>
>>383498442
Fairly certain World started multiple exists. Every alternate path Ive found in 3 just leads back to the regular exit. I agree with everything else
>>
>>383492748
It was a meaty launch title and had Yoshi.

I didn't have a Super NES as a kid so I didn't play it until I was a teenager. It's good, but I prefer SMB3 over it by quite a bit. NSMBW, too (never played the Wii U game).

but Yoshi's Island is better than all of those so
>>
File: 1440563725884.jpg (137KB, 722x525px) Image search: [Google]
1440563725884.jpg
137KB, 722x525px
>>383496167
There's having an opinion, and then there's just being wrong.
>>
SMW is trash for introducing ghost houses. I don't want fucking warp puzzle mazes in my goddamn platforming game. The moment one appeared in the otherwise great 3D Land & World was the moment I shut those games off.
>>
>>383498698
May mix up a few details, played everything in the series up to SMW2 within a week or two
>>383498462
Agreed, I enjoyed it but still can't understand why it seems to be everyone's number one.
>>383498546
nani
>>
>>383499107
Didn't use the Boo houses in my argument because SMB3 had a few levels with similar puzzle gimmicks and the point could be turned around on me. Same with repetition and the airship levels.

But holy fuck the Boo houses are terrible
>>
>>383498442
I'm talking about the overall gameplay of the levels, who cares about minigames? It plays completely differently. Some items don't exist in SM3.
NSMB has a overworld, it barely matters and nobody would notice if they removed it. While SMW plays a lot with the overworld
The expression I used was 'a turbo SM1', not 'equal to SM1'. Like, yes they clearly added stuff. But it's not as much of a departure as using a fucking cape
>>
>valley of bowser 2
>the epitome of awful autoscrolling levels
>that moment you wished you were playing mario 3 and had a spare level skip cloud
>>
>>383499107
Ghost Houses are a lot better in the newer games honestly, not all f them are mazes. They were generally the best part of NSMB2

>>383499213
I'm playing 3 right now and I've been lamenting the fact that there are no secret exits for the reasons I mentioned, finding an alternate path doesnt feel as special to me since I know it'll generally be shorter since it needs to end up back at the end of the level.

>>383499387
World really doesnt do more with it's overworld than NSMB
>>
>>383499387
Why do you keep going on about the cape? It functions almost identically to the raccoon tail in mario 3. The only major difference is that you can keep your flight going indefinitely anytime.
>>
>>383499387
Don't even get me started on the fucking cape mate, no powerup was as game breaking until the Cat suit.
>some items don't exist in SM3
There's the Tanooki suit, the P-Wing, the Hammer, Frog, all of which were removed in World for the cape which removed all difficulty and allowed you to fly over half of the stages in the game. Yoshi is a fun gimmick but adds almost nothing from a gameplay perspective except for an extra jump.

I'm talking about where the new mechanics ORIGINATED, not where they were used later. SMW is nowhere near as much a departure from SM1 as 3 was.
>>
File: Valleyofbowser-2.jpg (1MB, 2560x455px) Image search: [Google]
Valleyofbowser-2.jpg
1MB, 2560x455px
>>383499701
>Miyamoto determined this was "fun"
>>
>>383500082
>Yoshi is a fun gimmick but adds almost nothing from a gameplay perspective except for an extra jump

blue yoshi breaks any stage that has koopa shells
>>
>>383500082
>no powerup was as game breaking until the Cat suit
Explain what I'm doing wrong with cat suit please. I started 3d World a few days ago and find myself dying with / because of that powerup more than without.
>>
>>383499701
>skipping anything ever and not 100%ing everything
wtf man it's like you hate fun or something
>>
>>383500230
fuck I forgot about the colored yoshis
forget that I said anything about Yoshi, he didn't deserve my insults
>>
>>383500282
The cat scratch has ridiculous range and if you get the duration and distance of the wall run down you can practically never fall. The midair dive gets you some serious extra distance on a jump as well. Been a while since I've played it, but I remember it having ridiculous utility.
>>
>>383500282
>>383500082
people say the Cat Suit is game breaking but in what Ive played of 3D World (not too much but a decent amount) it's useful (probably necessary) for a large number of the Green Stars and other collectibles, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>383499916
Dude, the raccoon tail lets you float momentarily, it's not close to "almost identical"
>>383500082
The issue is not whether the cape is "good" or "bad", it's whether it's different. If you admit it's game breaking, you can't then say the game is unoriginal and there is no new mechanic
>>
>>383500082
This. SMB3 introduced wide open levels with verticality, flight and sections in stages designed for it, and autoscrolling stages. SMW relies heavily on the gameplay structure pioneered by SMB3.
>>
>>383500532
Volume is key here, they added one powerup and removed three. I'm not saying the game is wholly unoriginal. I'm saying it didn't introduce as much to the series and genre.
>>
>>383500480
All the dive moves done so far is send me plummeting into the abyss haha. Also what. You can wall run?
>>
>>383500532
both powerups start out allowing you to fly though, saying all the tail does is make you momentarily float is downplaying it. They both also give you a side attack.

Also, if you say the cape is a departure, the frog suit and tanooki suit are what? The shoe? Picking up and throwing glowing blocks?
>>
>>383500640
That's what makes it so good, my man. Jump and hold the button against a wall. You can jump off again with the added height, it's pretty busted.
>>
Of all the main mario games, World had the best title theme by far
>>
>>383500861
I'll be unpopular and say NSMB>Land>World>Original>the rest>NSMB2
>>
>>383500532
>Dude, the raccoon tail lets you float momentarily, it's not close to "almost identical"

how the fuck are you being this disingenuous, seriously. I literally told you that it's the same exact powerup except for that new function. And indefinite flight isn't even new by itself: Mario 3 had P-Wings. The powerup is 90% the same otherwise (tail whip/cape twirl, flight requires building up speed, slowing down jump descent).

And I think you're severely overestimating the appeal of being able to fly over levels in a game that has a bunch of hidden exits and enclosed levels.

Someone speculated earlier that you never played Mario 3 and it seems really obvious
>>
>>383492748
>Is it just nostalgia?
No, you're just young and stupid. Now fuck off.
>>
>>383501231
You can't say it's the "exact same" powerup... "except" for this thing that gives it 70x more range, at that point it's not the same anymore.
>>
I'd say 3 is better than World. I enjoy World but always felt like it wasn't as creative as 3 or Yoshi's Island. On another note, the New series isn't really bad so much as stale. If only NSMB U had been released (which is the best of them), people would legit argue it's the best 2D Mario. It's just the series now has a stigma which holds it back.
>>
it had lots of levels but
yoshi island is the best
>>
>>383501685
NSMB isnt even stale. change the art style on two of them and people would be calling them the best mario games. It's literally just the art style.
>>
>>383501675
It's just a turbo raccoon tail the same way you call 3 a turbo SMB
>>
>>383492748
What was the meaning of those wooden planks around the screen?
>>
>>383501675
This is semantics bullshit. I'm obviously asserting that it is overwhelmingly similar, and it it is.

and it's telling that you keep avoiding the issue of your mario 3 exposure
>>
The clear difference between world and 3 is a clash of polished design over experimental design, 3 tried a lot of new ideas and left a lot either useless or underutilized while world simplified everything to make the most of it in a kind of 'simple to learn hard to master' kind of way
>>
>>383501460
>no ur just dum
okay
>>
>>383502839
This is a good way to describe it. You can see they went experimental right after it with Island too
>>
>>383501997
I wanna say it has to do with Miyamoto's boner for framing devices involving theatre. He gave some quote a while back to the effect of "Mario, Peach, and Bowser are just actors on a stage". Either he's really going senile or that's how he's always thought of it
>>
>>383502839
I feel this explanation. Thanks anon, well put.
>>
>>383503204
>hurr durr is one of the greatest games only gud because only nostalgia????!?!?!
We don't need this thread on a daily basis
>>
>>383503552
I've never seen a thread on the subject and I've been in this shit pit for close to a decade. Admittedly I might have not noticed them since I hadn't played the game.
Anyway, read the tl;dr you twit, I'm not saying the game's bad, I'm saying other games in the series are just as good or better but it seems like World gets all the praise.
>>
>>383494420
>SMB3 is the same SMB1 experience but "turbo" and harder.
C'mon now. SMB3 was easily the 2nd biggest leap forward in the franchise, after M64. They took the SMB1 formula and stretched it in like 10 different new directions at once.
>>
>>383492748
>what am I missing?
romhack potential.

SMW has infinite replayability because of that.
>>
>>383503552
In this case, I think it's actually an interesting discussion. Agreed on the hurr durr bait threads in general, of course. Just don't think it applies here. SMW is an actual example where the "is it just hype" question is a valid one.
>>
>>383502839
Mario Maker is actually proof of this. SMB3 is the least used theme, which can be attributed to the fact that it lacks the appeal of the actual 3, the creative and diverse levels. The limited tool set has a much greater impact on making SMB3 style levels vs others.
>>
>>383504351
>romhack potential.
>SMW has infinite replayability because of that.
That's kinda outside the discussion. It wasn't part of the original experience, and I don't think it can be considered a reason why SMW would be potentially overrated.
>>
>>383504618
'proof' is not a word to use lightly, but it's definitely an interesting observation.
>>
>>383492748
because colorful and comfy
>>
>>383503552
that's not what OP is asking you baby. Try wiping away your tears and read the post and thread next time

>>383504618
3 is the least used because it's themes just dont look as good as the others. The tiles arent very conducive to level themes outside of the ghost house being the best for stuff like buildings.

3 is generally used for weird themes that the game didnt put in naturally, like desersts, rivers or winter levels, which I guess does line up with the fact that it's used for creative stuff
>>
>>383504636
>That's kinda outside the discussion. It wasn't part of the original experience
thats kinda your opinion. I think the vanilla game is shit personally, too easy to grind for lives, tedious secret levels, and brutal mario utterly destroys every original "boss" in terms of gameplay.

if you want to know why its popular though, its mario, nuff said.
>>
I used to like it more than 3 because you could actually replay levels at any time and most importantly you could actually save. So, mostly technical reasons. Both are great, but looking back 3 certainly did bring more to the franchise.
>>
>>383492942
Nothing. It was just most millenials' first Mario game.
>>
File: football man.jpg (35KB, 600x165px) Image search: [Google]
football man.jpg
35KB, 600x165px
Even other than the cape or "turbo raccoon", you can't tell me SMW is just the same as SM3. First off, if it was then SM3 fans would like SMW. After all, it's the same game. Other than the cape, I can think of different things like the yoshi, or the "football man". Is there a football man in SM3? Don't think. There are multiple interactions that could happen with either. I step on the football man, then I'm bounced and I have to step again on the football man. Then I have to step once more. If I have the cape, I can better float and aim the football man. Or if I have the yoshi and the cape it's pretty safe to go on the football man. The yoshi can eat koopa shells to different results but also eat keys then bring to portals but also double jump. Then there is a bubble gum which I can run over if I have the cape. What else can I do, list every mechanic and level of SMW and how they interact? It just doesn't feel like SM3.
>>
File: 1487976051969.gif (565KB, 367x265px) Image search: [Google]
1487976051969.gif
565KB, 367x265px
>>383492748
Super Mario World is the pinnacle of 2d platformers. Nothing more to it.
>>
>>383506108
>f it was then SM3 fans would like SMW.
95% of 2D mario fans love every 2D game with the only real outliers being MB2 and NSMB2
>>
>>383506108
>First off, if it was then SM3 fans would like SMW

I would imagine they overwhelmingly do? I prefer 3 but World is still great. Neither games are particularly divisive. They're both very well-liked.
>>
>>383492748
>Can someone explain to me the praise that this game gets?
It doesn't have a single flaw.
>>
People exaggerate how good SMW is because it got BTFO hard by other platformers on the SNES.
>>
>>383506065
But I was born in 1985 and my first Mario was 3. I just find SMW is more fun.

I see SMW as SM3 through a refining pass. And that's not entirely praise. It hammered down a lot of 3's snags like the occasional difficulty spike which makes it a smoother experience overall but there's charm in a game having -that- level that stands out as the one that made us git gud or give up. It was 1-6 for me in SM3. I can't recall where SMW really challenged me early on, though I do contend the game as a whole has levels every bit as challenging as 3's best. Just later on.

Idk. I love both. I just prefer W a little more than 3. Can I do that? This fan faggotry is tiring.
>>
>>383507881
The only better platformer on the SNES is Yoshi's Island, its direct sequel.
>>
>>383492748
It deserves most of the praise but it's not the best Mario game. The music always bothered me because all the tracks are just remixes of Overworld. All the other games had more unique music.
>>
>>383506108
Is... Is this a pasta?
>>
>>383508162
op back again, love whatever you want mate, I enjoyed both games thoroughly. don't mean to hurt nobody's feelings. Just wanted a discussion of the games and to understand why people love World so much
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.