[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are video games a good career?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: _0.png (360KB, 940x1619px) Image search: [Google]
_0.png
360KB, 940x1619px
Are video games a good career?
>>
don't bet on it.
get into general IT and try to sift into bideo games if you really want to.
if you don't want to go into general IT, don't bother.
>>
Depends, are you okay working a job that would roughly pay you only 75% of what you would get from the same job in a different industry?
>>
In a few years, I believe video game development/making will be a fine career. Now, though, it's like the early days of film: only a select few can get in "the business" and those who can't are working independently for pennies.

Eventually it will reach a level of appreciation that film does, and it will get there faster than film did, because of tech advances and nature of media now.

Game development is one of my favorite examples of a free market economy, too. Because it is, big picture speaking, so new of a product, people create and people pay if the price is right. If the game sucks or is too expensice, the market adjusts itself accordingly. When Indie games bursted unto popularity earlier this decade, it became apparent that people just want a good product, not necessarily a professional one.

Idk it's neat
>>
>>383485151
/thread
>>
Nope.

Read all the shit about Rockstar, EA, etc. Employees are treated like absolute shit, on constant crunch 6/7 day, 12 hour+ workweeks. Even at the high profile companies. And for what? You don't get a say in the game design. You don't get any prestige. You don't make much money.

The whole industry takes advantage of aspies desu.
>>
>>383486221
Except there are people who are game designers/directors who don't do shit but tell people what they want made and artists/programmers do it for them and you get paid for that?
Something that would otherwise take you millions of dollars to higher same people to do it if you weren't a game director in a game company.

So check's out, if you want to make games be the one to tell others to do it, not the one who does it for someone.

aka just do social studies or game design and enroll in some game company and earn billions by doing jack shit and treat retards who thought programming and art will let them make games (aka your slaves) like total shit

worth every minute
>>
>>383483624
What is conflicting for B12?
>>
>>383485151
Fpbp
>>
>>383483624
Oh jesus, I drink green tea everyday. So my cholesterol is off the charts?
>>
>>383483624
if you're an artist
if you're a programmer you'll make 40% more at another company doing the same stressful work
>>
Oh look, it's this thread again.
>>
>>383483624
Maybe in a century, when all non creative jobs are taken by machines, and we only risk dying of boredom.
>>
>>383486828
>Except there are people who are game designers/directors who don't do shit but tell people what they want made and artists/programmers do it for them and you get paid for that?

There's also Micheal Bay and George Lucas.
For each one of those you have a few hundred thousand failures.

>>383483624
No.

If you're a programmer, you can only get into them under one of 2 conditions:
>You're a terrible programmer-code money who won't be hired for any real job (fuck up in a game and people make funny YT videos about it, fuck up in financial software and you get jailed).
>You're a gullible vidya autist who just wants to make video games.

You work unimaginable hours at half the pay of a real programming position.

Artists are slightly less fucked over on getting hired BUT they don't get even a quarter of the salary of a real artists working elsewhere.
Also, they're hired strictly as freelancers so the job positions are highly volatile and often get fucked over on rights to their own artwork when a project hits the dust (which is the majority of software projects, BTW).
Oh, and you'll be asked to cover for the other artists positions whenever necessary since budget is tight and since you know how to draw, you're automatically a great concept, texture, modelling artist, animator and a VA.
The ridiculous work hours also apply here.
>>
File: 1491049692281.gif (8KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491049692281.gif
8KB, 600x450px
>>383488952
No, it's better. The image is "x is good for y".
>>
>>383483624
Half of this shit sounds like Runescape crafting mats.
>>
>>383490550
I actually think that working in a video game company is a good way to start your career these days
>>
Enjoy spending the majority of your time coding/working in a shovel-ware game. If yoy manage to get to an actual studio expect to work 13 hour days and not slip up otherwise some other schmuck who 'loves videogames' will take your place
>>
indie

making games is easier than ever before
download unity and look up tutorials and you're done, everything else is available for free or for pennies on the internet, art, models, environments, music, fuck even code
>>
>>383483624
if I take all the stuff above the line will I be super health?
>>
>>383491831
Yes
>>
>>383491621
I love that vidya has a hobbyist thing available to us too. I made a joke vidya about Alex Jones hunting goblins last week just for my friends to laugh at.

It's fun.
>>
>>383491831
You also need to stay at a healthy weight, get over 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each week, not get any injuries, not have your own genetics attempt to kill you, and avoid actually unhealthy things like tobacco smoke and other carcinogens.
>>
>>383493143
>get over 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each week
Did you mean each day?
>>
>>383493282
Got my CDC recommendations mixed up
>For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalence combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity
>>
What is B12
>>
>>383483624
Hm so "fish oil" is in the strong category, omega 3 below the wort it line, but most preparations of omega 3 you find literally are just fish oil capsules. So what is it?
>>
>>383488952
Yes anon, you are gonna die.
>>
>>383488952
I wish I could drink green tea but it always tastes fishy to me, perhaps I need to find better tea.
>>
>>383483624
If you get into the art or management side, maybe. Programming games suck balls, and if your project fails it's really demoralizing
>>
>>383486828
>Except there are people who are game designers/directors who don't do shit but tell people what they want made
Yeah, and they are less than 1% of the industry. Good luck ever getting there.

>aka just do social studies or game design and enroll in some game company
No, most big directors started small, as programmers and artists. You are already competing with people with real experience; why would they hire someone with some bullshit degree?
>>
>>383490550
This is consistent with what my friend experienced working at a smaller game companies
>>
>>383491831
IIRC 60% cases of cancer are due to random genetic errors, 30% due to environmental reasons (sunlight, smoking), and 10% due to hereditariety
>>
>>383483624
Translating video games will probably be comfykino for me. Otherwise I'd rather play them, wanted to be an artist but lost interest in art and just simply the industry is in a horrible state where anything could happen. Not worth the risk.
>>
>>383494340
try genmaicha (roasted rice green tea)
has a bit of a nutty flavor. served at most nice sushi places
amzn[dot]to[slash]2u5hf9R
this one is what i normally buy
>>
>>383494681
working towards the same goal anon, godspeed
>>
>>383483624
no.
>>
>>383493143
I haven't left my flat in 2 weeks m8
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.