[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /v/'s opinion on save states?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: castlevania3-spot1.gif (40KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania3-spot1.gif
40KB, 768x672px
What's /v/'s opinion on save states?
>>
Casual faggotry of the highest caliber.
>>
>>383459572
Have fun however you want just don't brag about beating the game.
>>
They only exist in emulators, which are always old games. 'Beating old games' doesn't mean anything.

Back when I beat NES games I was a little kid, with superior reflexes and attention span. In fact, beating games doesn't mean anything at all, except the satisfaction it gives you. It's better to 'beat' something in real life. Not your dick.

I personally prefer new games to be hard, it's one reason I despise most AAA games. But we have a fuck-planet of normies in this hobby now, and most of them don't realize they are normies.
>>
>>383459572
I wouldn't have gotten through some games without them, but fuck me do I hate using them.
>>
>>383459572
They are ok if you need to stop playing for whatever reason and you want to come back to the game later.
>>
>>383459572
They're fun to use when the game in question has a lottery or gambling system
>>
It sure makes emulating the Megaman games a better experience. I don't have the patience as I did as a kid to fuck with the password system.
>>
Taking the bottom path was a mistake.
>>
File: 1485887380780.jpg (20KB, 292x302px) Image search: [Google]
1485887380780.jpg
20KB, 292x302px
>>383461196
>take the left path
>its always the wrong path
Just like real life
>>
>>383459572
I only use them when im legitamately stopping. So i can either switch games or whatever
>>
>>383459572
First playthrough with savestates so you don't have to repeat everything if you die
Second playthrough without them to finish the game correctly and prove yourself you're not a casual
>>
I use them if I want to perfect a certain part of a stage
>>
WHERE DO I FIND NINTENDO DEVELOPED ROMS NOW, FELLAS?

I wanted to play Ninja Gaiden for the first time :(
>>
>>383463147
By this I didn't mean savescumming it until I win, I mean trying over and over until I can do it in one shot
>>
>>383459572
fine in games like that since dying has no penalty besides wasting your time
>>
>>383459572
They're alright for Tetris Attack. Why the fuck didn't that game save?
>>
>>383462368
This, I use it as more of a quick save in old games more than a convenience tool to get back.
>>
>>383459572
I only use it as a Save if I have to leave the game for something else so I don't have to start over (Especially if the game doesnt have a battery save or a password system)
>>
>>383459838
>They only exist in emulators
Most PC games have save states anon, maybe you're a console casul
>>
>>383459572
That you are a fag if you use them
>>
>>383459572
I used it throughout the casltevania 1 death stage.

Call me a casual
>>
They're how I beat Kaizo Mario and it was still fucking infuriating
>>
I only use them to avoid entering passwords and shit. Just save where the password would start you anyway.
>>
File: 1458675509959.jpg (74KB, 740x558px) Image search: [Google]
1458675509959.jpg
74KB, 740x558px
It was the only way I beat Metroid 1 "legit", because fuck grinding missiles and health every time I died in Tourian.
>>
>>383463181

Post ur email
>>
>Play Aria of Sorrow
>Cant be arsed to look for save point or wait for intro
>Use save states
I dont really see nothing wrong with this
>>
I use them sparingly if a game's difficulty and playtime were mostly derived from making you start from the very beginning if you lost

Yes it's cheating and I don't care in the slightest
>>
>>383463181
Just torrent the entire collection. Its only 160mb.
>>
>>383463305
Save states and quick saves aren't the same thing.
>>
Save states are a cruel addiction, but there's some legit use.

>Quitting the game for another time, can't bother with save zones or passwords
>Grinding for stupid time wasting shit like powerups or monster drops
>>
>>383463930
Where
>>
>>383464138
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7210509/Nintendo_for_PC_(Every_NES_Rom_and_Emu_EVER)_(Full_Collection)
>>
>>383464194
>pirate bay

Nice try CIA
>>
>>383459572
Okay only in games with no password
>>
>>383463067

But you are a casual because the correct way of beating any classic is to take your losses as they come and advance through the game by conquering previous parts, until you're good enough to advance through the whole game without restarts. What you do is the equivalent of going through a test once with a cheat sheet and then taking the same test again so that you can "take for it real".

Sorry kiddo, you never beat any of those games properly.
>>
>>383464453
You know perfectly that is bullshit, and your analogy is not valid because when you memorize the test you have full control over it but in the game not.
By playing like that you don't need to expand the game's length artificially and you can always try again without them.
>>
File: 1496034646966.gif (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496034646966.gif
6KB, 200x200px
>>383459572
I used to be fine with it but I legit got way too attached to it & always relied on it. I'm so glad I don't emulate as much as I used to or else I'd still be abusing it. I refuse to use them now, they really ruin any difficulty in games.
>>
>>383459572
A good feature that is too easily abused. I only use them to circumvent bullshit checkpoints.

>die on end level boss
>have to go through the entire level again

nah, fuck you
>>
>>383459572
>Completely Fine
Using save states to replace awkward password system.
>Mostly ok
Making a save state at the beginning of each level of a multi-level game
>Questionable Behavior
Making a save state before each boss fight
>Scrub behavior
Making save states before tricky areas because you don't want to replay the segments leading up to it over and over.
>Outright cheating
Making save states literally seconds apart to defeat a boss by brute force
>>
File: 1449391200237[1].png (47KB, 650x773px) Image search: [Google]
1449391200237[1].png
47KB, 650x773px
>>383465341
>tfw had to do Outright Cheating to beat Ouroboros in SMT Strange Journey
>>
>>383459572
I use them if I don't care about dealing with shitty game design. Your image is a perfect example of something that should have never left the drawing board.
>>
I use them as a replacement for in-game saves and continues. Much faster to just press F1 and be back at the checkpoint than wait for whatever elaborate game over message the game wants to show you. Especially if it's something like Symphony of the Night, christ.
>>
>>383459838

Truly the dark souls of shitposting
>>
the best save system, genuine opinion

difficulty is there to prevent me from progressing, not do the same shit over again
>>
>>383465535
Password system.
Ouroboros was fine but Mem Aleph was too much, I had to use it.
>>
Very rare but only when it means you have to grind many of a resource/health again after a death/game over. There are many punishing games out there where you have to git gud to succeed and I can tolerate replaying the same stage tens of times but can't be arsed to follow an imposed grind if I feel it's unfair or deliberate time consuming
>>
Save states are good to use on games with lives, but only at checkpoints
>>
I think if you're trying to understand a game, or critique it, it should be be experienced as it was intended to be experienced. Video games are no different, and save states fuck with pacing, difficulty, all kinds of shit.

If you're just looking to have fun, go to town, do whatever the fuck you want, but it's important to understand that your perception of the game will be flawed as a result.
>>
File: megaman2-81.png (32KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
megaman2-81.png
32KB, 512x448px
i use them have access to boss fights forever
>>
>>383459572
I never use them and I usually screen cap passwords or take a photo with my smartphone when I play emulators on my Wii. When I play emulators with my friends we use them because they are not that good and we have limited time to play together. Just don't savescum and I think it's fine.

Other clever way to use them and actually, is something that speedrunners do, is use them as a checkpoint to practice a hard part of the game or a trick.
>>
cheating.

the only reason people want them is because theyre standard, and people cant deal with not having something they've had before.

no real harm in giving the player the choice, tho. if someone wants to ruin the fun for themselves, fine by me. just don't pretend we played the same game
>>
>>383459838
NES games were very easy compared to their contemporaries.
>>
>>383463934
dunno if you noticed but you forgot to explain why
>>
>>383463181
The 8 bit Ninja Gaiden games were developed by Tecmo and Sega.
>>
File: 1492552940553.jpg (45KB, 295x321px) Image search: [Google]
1492552940553.jpg
45KB, 295x321px
>>383459698

I beat Final Fantasy on the NES using save states... I still can say I beat it lol
>>
>>383463181
Virtual Console :^)
Or torrents.
>>
>>383467404
Final Fantasy 1 is easy, I don't see the point to use savestates on that game except for loading your quickly.
>>
I try not to use it, but I started using it in LttP because that game's save system is dated.

That said, I feel a slight twinge of being a casual when I used it at the start of that boss room with the caterpillar that can bounce you off the edge, and when you walk back up his health is reset because you left the room.

When I fell I just reloaded the save because it was faster and I didn't want to break my controller in half.
>>
>>383459572
The guy playing has 15 hearts and Alucard. He could just switch to Alucard and fly up instead of dealing with the pain of waiting for those falling blocks to come down and make a path.
>>
>>383467549
>because that game's save system is dated.

uh huh

>slight twinge of being casual
you mean where you cheated through the game?
>>
>>383467531
just going back through dungeons was annoying as hell, the only "difficult" thing was figuring out what level you need to spend an hour grinding to start the game
>>
>>383463181
>nintendo developed ninja gaiden

why are kids on /v/ nonstop acting like it matters if nintendo goes after roms
>>
File: excuseme.jpg (293KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
excuseme.jpg
293KB, 640x480px
>>383467661
Does restarting at your house with three hearts every time you die or stop playing -really- enhance the quality of the game that much?

Because it's the biggest reason why I never cared to play the game before. I'm still experiencing the important shit like navigating the overworld, solving puzzles, clearing dungeons, you know, the gameplay.
>>
Using them makes games more fun and much less frustrating but don't you dare try to stroke your e-dick in front of everyone and claim you "beat" a game using them.

>tfw too used to savestates and fast forward that I get too irritated and impatient to play old games without them.

I am a casual of the most filthy variety.
>>
>>383459572
I abuse them shamelessly.
>>
>>383465341
This right here is 100% accurate. Should be stickied and made the official canon for all gamers for all time.
>>
>>383467743
Healing in ALTTP is very easy after reloading a saved file: there are many fairy and big Fairy rooms, the old man in the mountain heals you, you can warp to the witch's hut and get a free sampling of Red Potion from the attendant, the scattered diviners heal you after paying them. If anything healing is too easy in this game
>>
>Mh left or right?
>go left *save completed* *cutscene*
>miss a chest
>>
They are a good countermeasure to cheap shit like Battle Tower and its descendants in Pokemon.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.